Wednesday, August 31, 2022

August 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 

Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another August LINK as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Onto August and the royal color of purple.  


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

Here is your August BINGO card -

1st -   My  month is off to a fabulous start!!  I am so serious.  Being on a trip with friends and my daughter is just sublime.  Here is the Missouri Trip Day 2  link so that you can follow along with our fun.  Waterfalls are just the BEST, right?  Have a "summer" moment outside/explore - BINGO.

Correction ---- being with peeps ya love is even better. Spend time with friends BINGO.

Along our path, we discover a fun quilt shop.  Here is the Sew Simple LINK so that you can put it on your list as well.  Visit a new-to-you quilt shop BINGO.

Ice cream is found along the way and I had huckleberry --- purple food, but I forgot to take a picture.  I did have witnesses, though.  BINGO.

We make it all the way to Hamilton, MO today and check into our rooms.  Look at the wallpaper behind my bed!  It's old dressmaking patters decoupaged onto the wall.  How cool is this?  I love it and want to steal the item if I ever get a studio with open walls. 

2nd - Howdy and Good Morning.  We are in Hamilton and ready to start our fun event.  I've given you the Missouri Trip Day 3 LINK so that you can feel as though you are here with us.



It's been such a fun day and the treasures abound.  


AND the day is not over - we have a trunk show to end it right.


In fact --- we even made the MSQC post.  How fun is this?

3rd -  It's our fourth day of fun and here is the Missouri Trip Day 4 LINK.  We start out the day with treats on our tables.  I can't believe the gifts.


Later on ---- more treats --- a charm pack and then the kits for our class arrive.  I LOVE the fabric choices.

The whole day is just amazing from start to finish and we are wishing time would slow down a wee bit.  There's not enough of it to get the projects done and clearly we are not ready to go home just yet.  So, so much fun spending time with the Doan Girls and absorbing all that they have to share.   Take a class - learn something new - BINGO



More shopping did happen today -- some in town and some at the retreat.



I did get a wee bit of sewing done --- wish it had been more, but there's just so much to see and do.  Being at the machine is not my top priority.  Week 1 sewed for at least one hour.


Tonights trunk show --- again, we make the post.

4th - The Secret Lives of Color - Tyrian Purple.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  WOW - this color!  What it took to make (sooo many snails), history that goes back to the fifteenth century B.C., and so much more.  How many have the book now?  I even saw an advertisement for it in Quiltmaker's July/August issue.

It is also another wonderful day in Hamilton for us girls.  Here is the Missouri Star Day 5 LINK and you will be shocked at all that happens.  Some sewing did occur too, and I have a wee bit of proof.


More supplies left on our tables.

More shopping happens --- naturally.

AND more SWAG.

AND even more supplies for class.  WOW.

Class pictures to show what we've been working on.  First one:  I have my blocks partially made.


Second pic - my table runner is a top.


BUT, by the end of the day, my table runner is quilted and this picture appears on the MSQC post.

My table runner is ready for hand-stitching.

AND --- my blocks are all complete.  It's 1:00 in the morning, but hey, whatever works.

5th -   Drat it all --- we have to depart Hamilton today and although we all want more time, there is adventure ahead as well.  Check out this Missouri Star Day 6 LINK for some amazing moments at an old woolen mill.


A few final stops in town before we depart.  Gotta get the daily deal, ya know.


Ooooh, the Watkins Woolen Mill ---- what an amazing stop.


Even the mansion was fun to see and explore.


A stop at Quilting is My Therapy --- enough shopping has not happened as of yet.


And more goodies go home with me.  Buy a new piece of fabric and I'll use it on the back of the kit.  BINGO

6th -  It's out last day on the road, we think.  Here is the Missouri Star Day 7 LINK to check out our fun.  After a stop in downtown Hamilton, a quick drive through the area, and a return visit to pick up a forgotten item, we are on the road.  Our first stop is Nine Patch Quilt Fabrics in Nevada, MO and my take away is a wide back for the Happy Snails quilt we were taught this week.  It's a cute shop and I show more in the above link.  

Next up is a fun find and it has a post all its own.  Here is the Merc on the Hill LINK and I just gotta say - go see, both the post and the place.  It is well worth the visit.


My treasures here include Nantucket Summer fabrics for a bag, some Tilda joy, and a BOM that I signed up for -- only in blue.


We had such fun here --- 


It truly is on a hill in the middle of farmland.  So. Much. Fun.


A lovely sunset takes us home.  BINGO card.

7th -  Recovery Day!  Big Time!  


I asked Mister for dinner on a patio overlooking water.  He delivered and it was just so nice.



A couple of our moments popped up on Instagram and Facebook.


8th - The beginning of the sort is taking place.  Picture development has begun and blogging is a long way from being finished, but starts are good.  A couple of things that ring true to me.


I read this online today and wanted to share:  "When I have to do a purge, I always tell myself I'm giving the items a chance to spark new dreams - dreams that aren't possible while hoarded in a cabinet or basement."  Good words to live by.

And then - back to this.  Am I still young and able?  I'm giving it my best shot.
 

It is SOOOO hot that the squirrels are splurting in the dirt.  Yep, you read that right - look it up.


I'm meeting my cousin, Regina, for dinner and trying out a new-to-me location.  It's a great chance to reconnect and the evening is delightful all around.  54th Street Restaurant and Drafthouse, kinda near the airport if ya want to give it a try.  I had the wings and they were great.


9th - The Secret Lives of Color - Archil.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Lichens, lichens, and more lichens.  The effort for this color is intense and smelly.  Are you reading with me?


I'm still having issues with motivation.  It's a lazy, rainy day --- 1st rain in quite awhile.  Hard to believe I even wrote that.  I'm working on pictures, blogging, and laundry.  Did an evening Costco run and almost got soaked ourselves, but timed it perfectly.  Oh - did a little shopping today and ordered the Oh Happy Day book so I can do this BOW.  I already had the fabric on pre-order so I'm excited.


Rain makes us happy!!!


Running down the gutters.  SOOOOOO nice.




10th - It's a vampire morning for me and then home to organize my new items, tackle some bookwork, continue blogging and developing photos.  Then . . . .more RAIN.  We ae like kids in a candy shop.  The trees are all saying thank you and it just feels amazing after such a long dry spell.






11th - It's time to get my act together.  Back to the schedule book - I need the structure desperately.  I'm still online shopping and I NEED to stop.  It's like the addiction was let loose for a week and now it's out of control again.  As you can tell, I haven't accomplished much since I've been home BUT I did read Jenny Doan's book:  How to Stitch an American Dream.  We have so much in common that it's like going down memory lane.  My patches arrived today along with retreat gifts and a prize.  This is the fun part of being a little crazy with the shopping --- I know I need to stop but I've been inspired with all the pretties.  Now, if I can just get inspired to make something with them and not just purchase for the fun of having it.

12th -  I have now put everything away from the trip unless it needs to be cut and cleaned my room.  I even re-org'd the armoire/drawer that holds my quilts and precuts. That's a BINGO mark.  More picture and blog work happened too.  The mail brought goodies - my first BOM from The Merc and my book for Corey Yoder's BOW.  Also, the second block in the designer mystery I'm doing has arrived.  I bet you're wondering what happened to the first block.  Yeah - it' came during a crazy time and hasn't moved.  This will change and I'll get caught up this month.


My 3rd and 4th set of Puzzler blocks are back - so a quick layout.


And then, because life is just not joyful enough, the freezer stops working.  We've called a repairman, Mister is cleaning and vacuuming it, and I've been sent for dry ice.  Hey --- who knew it was so expensive and I have no idea how much to buy.  $25 later.



I've now added more to the cutting table.  I should cut.


My schedule has me finding purple fabrics for an upcoming project I am trying out for retreat.  Done.


Proof that I found this room too.


13th -  Somehow ---- we have no idea how it worked out, but the freezer is now working.  The repairman has been cancelled and we are off to play for a bit.  A new donut and coffee shop --- it was interesting and I'll leave it there.


At one point,  a bee seemed VERY determined to take me out.  I don't usually react but this guy was persistent and kept landing on me.  I don't handle bee stings well at all - swell up like a balloon - so I finally gave up and went and got in the car.  Mister casually sat back down and just looked at me and continued with his coffee while taking my picture.  Sharing a funny story - BINGO


Since that coffee was such a smashing success --- we tried another spot.  It wasn't until we went inside that we realized we had been in another one while traveling about Texas last December.  We were in Celina with my niece.  Isn't this just so cute?  I had am iced chai tea that was yummy.


From there a stop at Tuesday Morning happened and I spotted some pillows that I would like to try and make.  Aren't these fun?  I think it can be done fairly easily - just don't have the time right now.  But . . . I AM looking for retreat ideas.  Back home and a caprese salad for lunch.  So, so good.  (One of our stops was a farmers market with beautiful tomatoes.)


Cut out a new project - BINGO - this is going to be so cool.  Possibly a November Retreat project.


Also cut my skillbuilder BOM from The Merc - AND September's Illusions block.  Making progress here.


To top everything off --- the mailman was nice.  BINGO for purchase something purple and share.


During my shopping adventures today - I found the beginnings of a retreat gift idea.


AND the supplies for a March retreat project.  I am planning ahead.


While I'm sitting and enjoying the evening, Mister plops this down beside me.  We still have dry ice and he's playing.


14th -  Sunday Funday.  We are out shopping for a bit and looking at refrigerators too.  Even though ours is working, we think being prepared and knowing what we want is a good plan..  I have ALL  pictures caught up and I'm making progress on some other items.  Out to the front porch to work on the grommets for the quiet book.


This baby is TA-DONE!  BINGO -  Here is the LINK that will take you to the whole story from beginning to end and includes a link to a video near the end.  I can't upload the video here as it is too large for Blogger - but our Vimeo account does a nice job.  (Psst - Mister uses the "Seth Simmons" name on that account, it really IS us.)


15th -  With all the pictures finished, I now have to send out posts - lots and lots of posts so, after sewing on September Summer Moon all morning, it's post, post, post in the afternoon.  I'm counting this as one hour for two weeks for the month.


16th - The Secret Lives of Color - Magenta.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  A color war?  It appears so as multiple countries wanted this one for themselves.  Also, originally this was kind of an arsenic loaded color.  Things that make you go hmmmm.  Enjoy the read.


One again - October Summer Moon in a.m. and blogging in afternoon  - I have ripped enough today to last forever.  I am covered in strings and have definitely checked my seam ripper.  Two BINGO marks well earned.  Yep, there is reward this month for reading this post --- you get to peek ahead a month.


My leader/ender was to put this Puzzler block together.


AND . . . drumroll please.  My new patterns for Anna's Baskets arrived today.  THIS is a 2023 project and I'm super excited about it.  The whole quilt can be seen in the Missouri Star Day 4 link shared above.


17th - More posting, but some cutting too.  Two sets of Puzzler blocks for the exchange are ready to sew.


Todays mail treats are amazing - 2 packages from the same place.  

I REALLY need to stop shopping, BUT each thing has a purpose.  The white fabric is so I can finish another of the Half Moon Rising runners with the leftovers from the last one.  The thread was on sale and one always needs thread, and the daily deal is one of my favorite lines.  The second package has another daily deal from the SAME line as the one on the other box.  I also ordered quite a bit of cork and hardware to make some Christmas gifts.  Yes, as hard as it is to believe, that time of year is creeping up.

Some sewing has happened - the skillbuilder BOM is done.


AND - I've also finished up the Puzzler blocks to mail.


AND September's SLC blocks are finished too.  Sewed one hour for week 3.


Another package arrives from The Merc.  I gave up my fabric to a lady who needed it at retreat so am replacing it.  This is from the Lady Bird line.


Dinner out - yum.  Gotta love Intrinsic's BBQ.


18th -  First thing I'm at the computer and get my daily work finished so that I can head to the machine.  Illusions is up first today.  Paper-piecing just makes me go nuts with the waste of fabric.  I LOVE the effect, but . . . 



And another Puzzler block is together.


At the end of this is was a REALLY bad night for me.  I've not really felt well this week and it all came to a head tonight.  Super close to ER visit, but finally got things under control.  I am starting to question what the problem is.  If it doesn't improve, off to the doctor before I have to in October.

19th - The Secret Lives of Color - Heliotrope.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  I have to admit, I really like this color.  The plant that this color is derived from also gave a scent for perfume in ancient Egypt.  Later, it was an "allowable" color to wear during half-mourning.  You're gonna have to read to learn more.  Share favorite shade of purple - BINGO


The blog is current --- woot woot --- EVERYTHING is posted and written.  I am soooo happy, but still not feeling well.  I guess a book and the sofa will work - I need to start prepping for November retreat anyways.  While I'm readying, Mister brings in a new toy for me that he bought.  He says it will help at group events.  This is the look I give him while I accidentally push the remote button.  Lovely picture right?


20th -  I woke early and hit the computer getting the September scheduled posts ready to go and reading SLC.  With the rain, it has cooled off a bit so we are going to explore a bit today.  Here is the   Prairie Creek Park Fun LINK to share in our joy at finding a treasure right in the metroplex.


This treasure was lost in the mail for a couple of weeks, but has found its way home.


21st - I am trying to get ready for September and worked on the posts for a bit, then cut some Illusions blocks.  


We opted for a stay home day so he could set up his new keyboard and stuff.  He went from two keyboards to one and it's fancy.  While doing so - a silver sharpie pen blew up as he was finished using it and we had to research how to clean the desk, the wood floor, AND his new keyboard.  To say he is unhappy is an understatement.

I trimmed up the bonus triangles left from Illusions - terrible light in this picture


It has been raining off and on all day and it's a gentle rain.  That makes porch sitting quite nice.


22nd -   It is POURING RAIN so house stuff happens.  Namely:  Laundry.




I cut out all of the remaining illusions blocks ALMOST - I'm lacking the material for a couple parts but still have to receive September through Decembers packets.  I have a ton of fabric leftover.  My main task for today is to make the September table runner, which I did.  While doing so, I used orange thread. 


I also decided that I would try something new --- so I went for sewing the binding down by machine.  Naturally, since my habit is to hand stitch it down, I went to the back.  Oops.  That didn't work well.


I figured it out and have my TA-DONE - BINGO for binding a project.


Then, while doing the dishes, I broke a beautiful wine glass and cut my hand.  Yay me - got the mess cleaned up and ordered a replacement glass. OMG  At least the mail was fun.  Preorders coming in and a few older ones.


23rd -  I've laid out the SLC top a bit and am starting to work on the blocks now that yellow is done.  This is the layout for block B.


AND - while at it, I am multi-tasking ALL the pieces I need for 3 projects at once.  So much black.


My block came together nice.


After sewing all the black parts this morning, the afternoon is spent watching old Seinfeld episodes and trimming, trimming, trimming.  Goodness.


My stack of parts and pieces - all trimmed and ready to become something.


AND ----- I've finished my first book and moved onto the second.  It's been a great week and I get my BINGO mark for sewing at least an hour during this fourth week.  Yay me.


24th - I'm trying to do some cutting each morning before moving onto the sewing room.  Today, I cut the December table runner.


Illusion has another block done and I'm ahead now as it is for September.


I did a little work on SLC for October and then I realized that the layouts I've given for the SLC blocks aren't very helpful.  I found all the little tags and re-took the pictures and set up posts to happen this month.    Here is block C layout 


And Block D layout - 


 One Big Block was made and then I ran out of bobbin thread and ya'll know that's it for me today.  


I am determined to make a pork butt today.  Yeah --- we won it awhile back and it's been in the freezer - time to try something new.  It turned out OKAY, but the recipe I was following was not a good one and the timing was way off.  We still have another one in the freezer as the one we won was HUGE and we cut it in half (pic is before we cut it), so I'll try again.  BINGO - something new in the kitchen.  While it was cooking, the rest of my afternoon was spent working on retreat gifts for October's retreat.  I don't do gifts often, but this time I had a great idea and ran with it.  Hopefully, it will play with the other things I have in mind to do.

25th - The Secret Lives of Color - Violet. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. Our time with purple comes to an end with this color. What a glorious end! We can thank the impressionists for this lovely color. They brought it to life and Manet is quoted as saying that the true color of the atmosphere is violet. I might have to agree.


So . . . I joined a Designer Mystery BOM through the Fat Quarter Shop a couple of months ago.  I've received the setting kit (fabric for all of the non-mystery blocks) and two months of blocks.  Yes, I'm behind and just getting to this.  This morning's cutting table time netted me the two blocks and in the picture on the right is the fabric I had left after just those.  I'm thinking I WON'T cut into the setting blocks until almost the end if it keeps up this way OR I'll start cutting them from each  months leftovers.  I could wind up with a TON of yardage leftover.

More SLC work today --- I'm trying to get a bit of stress off my plate since I am not sure what is ahead of me the next couple of months.


Blocks C and D for the SLC quilt are done and scheduled for posting this month.  We're starting to see something.  Block C -


Block D - 


And just for kicks and giggles, I work on the layout for this project.  OMG --- I about lost my mind.


Today's mail call --- Ohio charms for an upcoming trip and the book for a BOM I'm doing in 2023.


Now --- it's research time.  Book one is finished so it's time for movie one.  Hey, I'm studying.


26th - Good morning!  Does anyone else feel like this month is zipping by?  Wow.  First up today are the Designer Mystery blocks and I even have a couple little bonus hst's too.


Followed by some of the July/August Ruby Jubilee blocks.  I cut a few wrong so they have to be fixed before finishing up AND the September/October magazine is here so I'm going to get those cut too.


Today's mail call --- you can barely see the two rolls of batting in the upper right (on sale) along with some honey buns for both me and an upcoming retreat and a jelly roll for an upcoming retreat.  I'm ticking things off the list.  The pattern was a freebie thrown in with the batting and jelly roll.  The honeybuns came from somewhere else.  Now, I think I need that hexi ruler.


Mister and I decided to go to a local antique mall for an "Art Walk" which was very dubiously named, but we had a good time and I found a few treasures to bring home for another upcoming idea.  2023 is looking to be full of new projects.  Mister and I stopped for dinner and made the bellies happy --- I have to admit that I LOVE lemon pepper wings and these were the biggest wings I've ever seen.  I think they come from the chickens that send the breasts to Costco.


27th -   This morning has me up early and working on the SLC posts for October, yep, I'm ahead.  Then it's time to get ready for a Red Hat event and Mister is taking me so that we can continue on afterwards.  Here is the Red Hat LINK to share in the smiles.


After lunch we head to Bridgeport and some quilt show eye candy.  Here is the Fun With Mister LINK for the whole day.  One of the items there was Best in Show by Amy Jensen.  Her Farm Girls is just delightful.  Be watching this young lady --- she's got talent.


I THOUGHT I still needed to buy something purple from a local shop, but nope.  Well, it'll fit right in with a project I'm working on.  Also, I've seen this fall wall hanging online and love it.  All four barns are on one panel --- hmmmm.


A whole day with my love is the BEST!!


Waiting at home was today's mail call --- I ordered all three books and will wait to read them in order when the other two arrive.


28th -  Errands today.  First up is a trip to Costco where I find these books to take to the beach in September and October.


Next, a stop at JoAnn's for some flannel and minkee for a new great-nephew/neice.  Orange it is.  I'm going to try a new method that I saw online.  Fingers crossed.


Back home and making the video for the quiet book.  Mister has quite the set-up going and you can't even see all the lights around it.  Me?  I'll be sitting on the floor under the tri-pod.  The video can be found in the Quiet Book LINK above as we added it to the post today.


Started book 3 this evening - the research continues.


29th -  Monday Morning and new resolve.  Isn't that the way it is every Monday?  I'm still trying to do some cutting each morning and today I've gotten a start on the next set of Ruby Jubilee blocks.


I cut until I need to sit down for a bit and then finish up the last of the previous Ruby Jubilee blocks.  My new purple is already finding a home in the next set.


The black/white project now has been sewn into 9-patches and laid out again.


Today's mail call ---- some prizes for retreats and the next Designer Mystery BOM.


I wasn't quite ready to be done for the day so back to the cutting table --- finished up the Ruby Jubilee blocks AND the new BOM.


30th - Well, drat it anyway.  I didn't feel super yesterday and this morning I woke with a full-blown cold.  I am in solitary on the sofa and even the remote is safe from me now.  Oh Mister.  Might as well continue the research as I finish up movie 2.  I just can't sit all day so I spend a bit of time on the cutting table and soon I have all the VERY LARGE pieces I need for the baby quilt.  There's really no point in a picture right now -- it pretty much still looks like yardage.

Off to the sewing machine for a bit and my new Designer Mystery BOM is done.  I have to admit that this might be the most technically correct block I've ever sewn.  It's not perfect, but it's close and that is amazing for me.


Three of the new Ruby Jubilee blocks join the parade and these will NOT be getting any accolades, but they are done.


Mail call --- more retreat items and some patters I loved.


Back to my sofa for more reading and being crazy bored.

31st - Ugh --- I had such high hopes for these last two days of the month, but, alas, Mother Nature had other plans.  I'm so sick and somehow thought a childhood comfort food would help.  It did, but only for a short time.  Yuck.  A bright spot in my day was the mail call.  YES, I know I need to stop but these have been ordered since the beginning of the month.  It'll slow down -- I promise.

I did crawl off the sofa long enough to finish up this top and add the borders.  I'm going to try and Big Stitch hand quilt it while on a trip next month.  To be continued.


With that, I'm just a few short on my BINGO card this month.  It is what it is.


That brings us to September and ORANGE!!!  Let's Color Your World with the many shades of this luscious color and enjoy the EXPLOSION of color that this time of year brings.  The original post on this theme can be found here and all the wonderful information for month number 9 can be found in this September LINK.  That is where the new BINGO card is as well.



Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - current and ahead
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Illusions BOM - current and ahead
Ruby Jubilee - current
Orange Table Runner - done
Secret Lives of Color - current and starting blocks
Round Robin (mine) - 
Puzzler Blocks - current
Quiet Book - DONE

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - waiting until Montana to take it up there

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 

July 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment