Monday, January 31, 2022

January 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 

Our new theme begins this month.  If you didn't get a chance to check out that post --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another January LINK (this holds the pattern for this month's table runner) as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Bring on January ---- maybe you'll find your diamond in the rough.


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

1st -  Happy New Year!  I made it to midnight last night and watched the fireworks at Reunion Tower in Downtown Dallas.  Magnificent!!

Our Sandcastles sew-a-long began today, along with the Summer Moon sew-a-long.  Farm Girl finished up and is now in my to-be-quilted stack.  We even have a new BINGO card.

We have opted to go to the zoo today - seems like a good way to start the new year.  Here is the LINK to our day if you'd like to peek in.  A pic to share here --- Izwi's mane is starting to come in.  I can't believe the cubs are so big already.


Our weather is about to change --- out come the tarps and quilts for help.  Plants are being brought down and under the bench.


I am going to do The Secret Lives of Color quilt-a-long with Pat Sloan.  I love the book and the concept of the Churn Dash block in each color.  I "think" I want to follow the group colors though so will stay with her on days, but not necessarily colors.  Does that make sense?  Here is the January pull.


I've done a rough layout idea --- much improvement is needed, but it's a start.

2nd - Well, Hello Winter!


One of the items on the BINGO card is to set 2022 goals.  THIS is something to keep in mind along the way.


Let the cutting begin --- I'm starting with just these strips and should be able to do all blocks for the WHOLE quilt with just these sizes.  


In all honesty and keeping things transparent -- I cut wrong to begin with, thinking I needed more sizes.  NOW, I have to use those up while cutting.  I can do it.


All of my SLC blocks for January are cut.  Woot, woot.


Another Rhododendron Trail clue hits the internet and I'm ready to begin.  Here is the Clue 6 LINK if you wish to follow along.


I ordered some graph paper (yep, totally out, which is why the crazy layout above) and had to laugh when it arrived with this.

3rd - I feel as though some sewing should occur.  Clue 6 is coming together.



Hey there --- On the 1st, I shared that I was going to do The Secret Lives of Color with Pat Sloan and would have info shortly. Well, you know ---- the best laid plans . . . At any rate, I hope you saw her video and she has calendar each month for the color to work on and the days to do so. It's great!! I did want to go a slightly different way with my layout and have that done now as well --- super excited and it WILL have the light to dark, rainbow thing going. Not a true rainbow, but decent and following the book. I have added a few colors along the way to make the block count work and think it will be such fun. It will be 54 x 72 before any borders and will contain 175 blocks. For January, the colors are Lead White, Ivory, Silver, Whitewash, Isabelline, Chalk, and Beige. Lead White was on the 1st and the history behind it is crazy. Did you know that Lead White dates back to 2300B.C.? Fascinating. Once again, if you can get the book and want to learn about color, I highly recommend it. With my layout, I will do 2 blocks of each color and 1 extra in each category. First up I have a 6 1/2" block and 2 - 3 1/2" blocks for Lead White. I am keeping one fabric as a constant background throughout the quilt. Here are my Lead White blocks. It may not seem like much here, but is going to be cool overall.


STRINGS!!!!  I need to make some progress with Sandcastles too.



4th -  Secret Lives of Color -- Ivory. One 9 1/2" block and 1 - 3 1/2" block. Ivory - SOOOOO much history here. I'll just share a couple of items from the book -- 1 - Queen Victoria wore and Ivory satin wedding dress and that began the tradition -- prior to that wedding dresses were colorful. 2 - Here is a link (https://www.mentalfloss.com/.../12-berserk-facts-about...) to a fabulous story of an ivory chess set AND it is the one that the Harry Potter wizards chess set was modeled after. Pretty cool - NOT that the ivory was taken from animals, which is awful, but the story of the chess set AND I also discovered that a large amount of ivory currently being traded comes from wooly mammoths that have been unearthed. Truly an amazing amount of information on two pages in a book.


Time to trim the strings.



Next up - slice.  I remember how scared I was to do this the first time.  Now, not so much.  It's quite a stack when I'm done.


A little more RT sewing check the link above for the steps along the way.  Clue 6 is done.


De-papering while watching television.


A pretty finish of this step.

5th - I'm trying to make some more progress on Sandcastles today.  Now that I have the triangles finished, I can add the skinny strips to the sides of them.


All this is left is some trimming.


TA-DONE and ready for the next step.  It'll be awhile.

6th -  Good morning from the car dealership.  Yep.  Always fun.


I am ready to start laying out some of the little Sandcastle pieces for the next step.


Blocks --- strange shaped ones.  I can do this.  I've laid out about a third of them.  So many pieces still to go, but I'm gonna sew these up first.

7th -   Rhododendron Trail is out again and we are still working along.  No reveal yet.  Here is the Clue 7 LINK so you can follow my steps.  Since I have to cut for it, I might as well get the cutting for Summer Moon finished at the same time.  Little packets all ready to sew.  This is what makes life good.


8th -  The Secret Lives of Color - Silver.  Now, while I personally think this falls more into the category of greys, the book has it with white.  However, this program doesn't really include grey so . . .   Silver!  Two 3 1/2" blocks.  What can I say about silver?  Hmmmm - the book was crazy cool on history, but perhaps my two favorite tidbits were that is is associated with night - i.e. the moon, whereas gold is associated with day - i.e. the sun.  Second, silver was thought to detect poison and THAT is where the making of eating utensils out of silver and the whole SILVERWARE industry began and stands pretty much still today.  Such a great book.

I am off on an adventure once again and headed to Utah.  Here is the LINK to share in my fun.  First up, upon my arrival, is snuggles with a new member.  Hello Torsten -- glad to meet you.


Color ---- my eyes always find it.


9th - In Utah with family and couldn't be happier.  Fun crafts going on -- 


Beautiful grands - this is what life is about today.  Baby blessing.




10th - Time with TWO daughters at once has been simply amazing.


And this grand is a special, surprise treat.


Creativity taking place --- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this.


11th - Today is a fun day with the kids, but first --- a gorgeous snow-packed mountain.


THIS was my favorite part of today.  If you get a chance to go to the Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point in Utah, DO IT!  Go to Kidopolis, find the music room, and play the harp.  I could have stayed all day.

The same mountains with evening sunset colors.  We've had a grand day.


12th -  Secret Lives of Color - Whitewash. One 9 1/2" block and 1- 3 1/2" block. What do you think of when you hear "whitewash?" I go straight to Huck Finn but in actuality it got its start in combatting the plague. That's all I'm giving away --- not going to whitewash that I'm keeping secrets.

I'm heading home today so good-byes are just so hard, but we're getting them done.  I'm gonna share the twosies here --- as they are the BEST part of my day.





By the time I've arrived in Dallas, it's a train most of the way home.  Hello Texas, glad to be back.  It's warmer here.


13th - I just discovered that I posted the Secret Lives of Color one day early.  Oh well.  Proving once again just how human I am.  A friend that runs a retreat center/shop here in Texas is doing a UFO Challenge this year.  I am supposed to mark down 10 UFO's and she will draw a number on the 15th for the one we have to work on.  We have a month to get it done.  Well, I've made the list - that's a start right?  Also, the Illusions Sampler BOM that I signed up for has arrived.  Not sure why it took so long, but it's here.  I've finished up clue 7 on RT and that's progress for sure.


Summer Moon is underway as well.

14th - The REVEAL is out.  I am laying out the setting triangles for RT.


Summer Moon blocks are ready to go for February.


All of my "WHITE" blocks for Secret Lives are finished. I KNOW -- I haven't posted them yet, but they are done.  I've put a small section together for my top.  The rest will have to wait -- quite awhile.

15th - I'm up early today.  This month's update has been pretty short on word.  There is a reason for that.  I have a very dear friend who has been in and out of the hospital all month and things are just not looking very bright.  It's tearing me apart and most of the time I'm just in a ball on the sofa.  The brief moments that I get something done are because I force myself to turn my brain somewhere else and attempt to stop the pain.  COVID stops me from being able to be with her at the hospital so I settle for phone calls 3-4 times a day.  Oh, my heart hurts so bad.  Since sleep really hasn't been a option and eating even less, I'm trying to work on pictures when I'm up to it and blog posts as well.  It's really not happening and I'm falling behind again -- but, it is what it is.  To top everything off -- It's snowing this morning (I KNOW - hard to tell) and getting cold.  Ugh.  I need to focus on SOMETHING.  Therefore, Christmas will come down today.

The UFO Challenge drawing has happened -- #5.  Well, alrighty then.

Pat Sloan was talking about a quilting book for the walking foot today and I ordered it straight up.  Yes.  Once the work for the day is done -- house looking BLAH - Mister takes me for a beer and dinner.  Coping -- it's how he handles me.

16th - I have finished with the Christmas decor removal.  My book arrived.  


17th - Secret Lives of Color - Isabelline. Two 3 1/2" blocks. Have you heard of the Archduchess of the Spanish Netherlands? Neither had I. Well, there is a funny legend about Isabelline and underwear, that has something to do with this color. It's not true, but funny. At any rate, the color IS named for her and appears in the description of animals many times. Ya just gotta get the book. So fun.


My sweet friend spoke her last words to me yesterday and is no longer communicative.  My heart is literally breaking.  Mustering everything I have -- I find the fabrics for the filler blocks on the border of RT, 


find the fabric for the new parts,


and pull pinks for next month's Secret Lives of Color.  That's it -- back to my heap.


Later in the day, Mister does his magic and we go to the lake for a bit.  Here is the Lake LINK to share in our moment of peace.



He finished it off with some food --- eating has been challenging, but I LOVE Hello Dumpling.

18th - Tiaras are on for Paula today ---- Yep, this is how I look when not functioning.  Shocked that my eyes are not red -- no sleep and lots of crying.


CUT!  That is the answer for today.  Make my mind go somewhere else for just a bit.  The sashing and cornerstones for RT are done along with the parts for Illusion AND the blocks for February Secret Lives of Color.  That's it --- all I've got in me today.  I'm starting to go through all the pictures I have of Paula - trying to be pragmatic so that I can share with everyone else when the time comes, but tearing myself apart with each new one that I find.  My brain knows that this helps, my heart just isn't sure.


Tonight's moon.


19th - I've not slept more than a couple of hours in days.  I'm talking with Paula's husband several times a day and trying to be strong for him as well.  The pictures are ready to go -- I think I'm ready, but then I dissolve into tears again and know that I am not.  I keep trying to sew through it.  Some of the setting and corner triangles for RT are finished along with some Sandcastle blocks.  If I wasn't running a sew-a-long, I don't think I'd do this, but knowing that others are waiting on it pushes me forward.

My sweet friend left this evening and the world is a little less bright because of it.  I will miss her more than I can express.

20th - With the waiting part over, I am still not sleeping and am still trying to just function.  Focusing all my attention on these blocks and having phone chats with her hubby as we try to move forward.  As hard as it is, plans have to be made.

I've laid out more blocks - 


Then sewed the last setting triangles for Rt 


and some more blocks.  


My order arrived from Missouri Star.  The fabric on the left was what I was looking for.  I'm sort a bit on my Sandcastle blocks and really didn't like the substitute I had used.  Now that I have the fabric and am SURE it matches, the blocks can come apart and that is exactly what happens in the evening while sitting with my sweetheart.  

A little laundry is happening and some packing as well.  The Winnsboro event is this weekend and we're leaving tomorrow.  Much discussion over whether to still do this and the unanimous consensus is that Paula would be heartbroken to find that we cancelled something because of her.  She taught us all to LIVE and ENJOY each new adventure that comes along.  So . . . packing. 

21st - It's very cold out so Mister has the Hayter Hot Tub up and running out back.  You cannot believe how much the birds enjoy this.


I have finished sewing up the batch of blocks that were laid out, cleaned up the house, and am waiting for my riders to arrive.


We are outta here --- first stop is in Athens at Needle Niche.  Here is the  Road Trip LINK so that you can follow along with our fun.  My car has met up with Sherri's car for an evening of fun in Athens tonight.  The link has MUCH more.

22nd - The Secret Lives of Color - Chalk.  One 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  Chalk reminds us of school, right?  Did you know it is found naturally on the ocean floor?  Research Uffington White Horse for a cool story as well.  I'm having so much fun with this.

Good Morning Athens - 

We are on the road again -- heading to Winnsboro for the main event.  Please, please, please take the time to click on the link for this --- the program was amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to attend in the future.  We are here for the Pleasant Hill Quilters and their story of quilts in the Underground Railroad.  One little cheat sheet is all I'm going to share here.


We're HUNGRY!  Yep, our group has grown.



And grown some more - 


After lunch - it's off to Quitman, TX and Stitchin' Heaven, where, still another joins in with us.  So much fun.



My goodies from the shop.  The drive home was pleasant with chatting and sharing.  THIS has been good for my soul and I'm so glad we carried through with it.  Once home, my sweetie treats to a beer to end the night.  Yes, there was food too.  BBQ.  Perfect.


23rd - Mister has called me a "slug" today.  Yep, that's about how much I'm moving.  I've found this meme and it's the only bright spot in my day.


Well, there is this, too.


But - this is more where I'm at.


24th - Jury duty has me up early, showering, dressing, driving to the train station, catching the train, walking to the courthouse, checking in, being released, walking to the train, catching the train, driving home, and walking in the house.  All within 2 hours.  Crazy, right?  

I did snap a couple of pics along the way - 

The red car looks like it may have a few issues ahead.  NOT, my red car -- just one nearby.

Once back home, more blocks go together for Sandcastles.  I also get the February BINGO card written and then manage to go to KFC for the worst chicken ever.  Lesson learned there.

25th - I laid out the remaining blocks while cooking breakfast (it takes a bit for oatmeal to do it's thing) and they are finally all on the stack.
 

The strips for the February table runner are also ready to go.


Block centers are DONE!!  I've finished the notes for my talk tomorrow and need to just sit a bit.

26th - It's an early start to the day.  I'm picking Debi up and heading to Gatesville for Paula's funeral.  You can share in our moments with this Day of Sisterhood LINK.  

Earlier in the week, I had invited quilters to contribute to a "spray" for Paula's funeral.  The florist was a quilter too and she went above and beyond to make it special.  It was standing room only and so many of her friends and family shared their love of her with us.  It was a day of healing and love.


Paula's tiara and nametag - she WILL be missed.

27th -  The Secret Lives of Color - Beige.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  I am one of those rare people who like beige.  It doesn't bring "dullness" to mind for me, but instead, it brings a warmth that I enjoy.  Apparently, I an NOT the demographic that marketers use with this color, constantly finding sexier names for it - such as Rope Swing or Evening Barley.  Hahahaha.  This is the last in our "WHITE" blocks.

With the first of February getting closer, I have got to kick it in gear today.  Illusions is cut and ready to begin.


The table runner is ready as well.  Strips have been sewn, cut, and put into block stacks.  The February post LINKED BELOW on the 31st will take you through the steps.


By the time the day is over, I've put the top together, sandwiched it, quilted it, and it is bound.  TA-DONE!!


Some Illusion blocks were finished as leader/enders.


28th - Okay -- time to finish those Sandcastle blocks.  I can DO it!


YES!!


I also get the SLC blocks for the first three February posts done (pics on those dates) and my Illusion block for January.  I'm not AT ALL happy with the waste this produced.  I'll be examining the direction for the next block and look for better ways to cut.  The right is the waste.


29th - So, last night I didn't feel too hot and this morning there is a frog in my throat.  WONDERFUL!  I'm so afraid I picked up something during my last week.  It's down for me - on the sofa - popping medication and drinking fluids.  Maybe I can nip it in the bud.  Of course, when you are down, the world just adds to it.

30th - And, no --- I'm sick.  My frog is much worse and I know the crazy sore throat is right behind.  Mister has me confined to quarters again and my fingers are crossed that this is just a cold.  I have retreat in 5 days.  The absolute most I am up to is to sit and take out all the quilting on an old, not going to finish, project.  By the time I'm ready to sleep, it's done and going back into the bins into three sections - front, back, and batting.  It feels good to just let it go.


With the way I'm feeling, I know tomorrow won't be much better.  Here is my BINGO card results for January.  Surprisingly, I came close.

31st - Down for the count.  It's official, I have Covid.  I DO feel a wee bit better today and Sam (who also has it and can't go to retreat) decide to get together here and have our own mini-retreat (Mister is already showing symptoms and so we are not worried about passing it along).  I get the laundry going and straighten up one bathroom and I'm DONE.  Stick a fork in me.  I am doing well just to get the posts ready to go for tomorrow.  That's it for me - heading out of January and super happy to put it behind me, but was hoping for a brighter start to February.  At any rate ------for those not sick:

We've made it to February and the next month in our Color Your World theme.  The original post with all the information on this theme can be found HERE and the brand new stuff for this month has a post all of it's own as well.  Please click on this February PINK link for the details.  That's where the BINGO card is as well.  Come on and 


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - February done
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - Ready to set
Pink Table Runner - done
Rhododendron Trail - working on final step
Ophelia Quilt - 
Secret Lives of Color - white - all finished and pink started
Round Robin - one due for me to receive at end of month. she's bringing it to retreat

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - Finished the ones for Sandcastles, only one quilt to go
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stockings - 

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - Since this is January, there aren't any yet.










No comments:

Post a Comment