Monday, February 28, 2022

February 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 

Our them this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another February LINK  as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Come February --- let your PINK shine through.  


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

1st - Well, I had high hopes of feeling better, but it didn't happen.  I called Samantha and cancelled getting together.  Mister is worse and I'm not as strong as I thought - ups and downs.  The first of the month post for Summer Moon is up and we have a new BINGO card to attempt.  Can I do it?


The Secret Lives of Color - Baker-Miller Pink.  Make one 6 1/2" and two 3 1/2" blocks.  Believe it or not, Baker-Miller was created by two military officers as an experiment to calm the prisoners at the Naval Correctional Center in Seattle.  Fun, fun info in addition to this.  Does it calm you?

My crazy mess --  the nest in the living room AND waaaaay too much work to have a friend over.  Can't even find the guest room right now.



Ramen - it's what's for dinner.  All we can muster.


2nd - Happy Groundhog Day!  I have laid on the sofa and spent most of the day helping Debi work through the retreat I dumped on her.  (Here is the Chinese New Year Retreat Post LINK to all that took place as it started today due to bad weather coming in tonight.)  Mister is really hitting the bad stage.  Life just kinda sucks right now.  Drug myself to the kitchen and made a ginormous pot of vegetable soup.  It took a lot out of me, but I'm glad it's there now.

3rd - The Secret Lives of Color - Mountbatten Pink.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  In all honesty, this appears more purple than pink to me, but here it goes.  Lord Mountbatten discovered it while trying to camouflage a ship during dawn and dusk.  So much more in the book --- check it out.


Our weather DID take a turn - here is the LINK for pictures and video.


Drug myself off the sofa long enough to work on the blog a wee bit while the ice storm and snow hit settled around us.  Then, back into my heap of exhaustion.  

4th -  The last step of Sandcastles posts tomorrow and I'm stalled out.  Had planned on finishing the top while at retreat yesterday, but no.  I'm not there.  Rising from the sofa, I forced myself to lay this out and take a picture.  Yes, one block is turned the wrong way.  It is what it is.  I'm now sweating and feverish again.  Ugh, this stuff is terrible..


Mister went to bed at around 6 - yes, it's that bad.  I've decided to watch the Olympics for a bit and receive some phone calls checking on me.  During one, I notice that the light out back just came on and since my phone is in my hand, walk over to see what's up.  It's a raccoon making a visit.


5th -  So, want to hear a funny story?  I wanted cookies sooooo bad.  Not just any cookie, mind you, but a gingersnap.  I got everything ready to make them, then a discussion ensued that put me off and so Mister made them.  Yes, we both feel awful, but he was trying to make me happy (which, by the way, could not happen).  These beautiful cookies were presented to me ---- and I can't taste them.  I knew things were off a bit the last couple of days, but it's totally gone now.  I'm just so sad.  Thank you, Mister, for trying.  Back to my sofa.

6th - It's Sunday and we are both pretty much couch potatoes.  Thank goodness the Olympics are on.  However, the end of the vegie soup happened today.  Hmmmm --- now what?  I've had an order in at Whole Foods since Friday, but with the storm, they are not doing deliveries.  I have an email saying it will happen tomorrow --- well, that's something.

7th - The Secret Lives of Color - Puce.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Again, on the purple side, but far more pink that Mountbatten.  The word "puce" has never brought forth good images for me, but it is fascinating that it was made popular by Marie Antoinette, and disliked by King Louis - saying that it resembled the "color of fleas."  Okaaaay.


I have enough in me today to pull fabrics for assorted upcoming projects.  Even though there is disease in the house, the calendar keeps marching on.  First up -- the fabrics for the Round Robin waiting for me at the retreat house.  I've printed the paper-pieced block foundations and can start on these if time works that way.


A piece of Tula Pink purchased last month --- it will go towards making a heart sachet.  Two BINGO moments at once.


Now, the fabric pull beginnings for the March table runner.  Going with grassy greens (haven't sorted the strips yet).


Batik strips pulled for the Puzzler Block exchange I'm in.  I've lost my mind this year.


First pull for an upcoming baby quilt.


March (and one May) fabric pull for The Secret Lives of Color sew-a-long. 

One would think that was it, right?  I'm still waiting on my Quiltmaker magazine to cut the purples, my Illusion BOM so that it can be cut, and Summer Moon needs to be brought out as well.  Goodness, but that is a lot of ongoing projects. And THEN - cos there just isn't enough crazy in my house, I decided to put up a poll for a quilt-a-long in 2023.  Yep.  That meant I needed to order the books I didn't have just in case one of them is selected.  That meant shopping - which led to shirt buying for an upcoming trip this summer.  I'm sick in more than one way.

8th - As a result of all that has happened to me in the last month, there is NO WAY that my number 5 is happening.  I'm trying to switch it up with #1 and see if I can make the deadline that way, but I'm not holding my breath.  Maybe I'll get caught up next month - maybe not.  2022 doesn't seem to be my year as far as sewing is going.

A little rearranging and patter drawing on the baby quilt and I think I have an idea.  Fabrics are re-pulled and I'm moving forward.  Fingers crossed.

THIS happened today.  Yep. I ordered a triple pack of Gentle Iron and this is what arrived.  A quick note to Amazon and they said to keep the C and the right product is on the way.  Crazy - but then so is everything else right now.

9th - The table has been lost, as has the buffet and the chairs and the floor.  Cutting so much at once.


AND - one of the books arrived.  After the Winnsboro event last month, I really want to do something in this vein.  Maybe this one will win the poll.  Hey, hey, hey.  After cutting for a bit (starting on the green), I actually sat down and sewed the rest of the February Secret Lives of Color and wrote the posts.  Go me.  Back to the couch as I'm done in again.


To top off an already active day, the mail came and it was a glorious mail day.  Gifts from two friends AND the Quiltmaker magazine AND the Illusions fabric.  WOW.  Thank you so much, Terry and Gilley.


10th - Sooooo, I stayed up last night to watch Nathan Chen skate and win the Gold.  It was GLORIOUS and so worth staying up for.  Yes, I'm feeling a bit better.  Getting stronger each day.  While staying up -- more visitors to the back yard arrive and I was able to watch two oppossum have a bit of a squabble for land rights.  The larger one on the left gave up and went on it's way.  Now, I'm really wide awake and have some family "stuff" on my mind so settle in to work on the blog and pictures in the hopes that sleep will come around.



I'm determined to actually get some cutting finished today.  The first to go down are the March Secret Lives of Color.  Why?  Because I'll use some of those greens in other projects.


Next up is to cut the parts for the Round Robin paper-pieced blocks.  Second time for some greens and as I'm reading in the book --- my drink pops up.  Funny.  Guess what???  I CAN taste it.  Woot woot.


11th - The Secret Lives of Color - Fuchsia.  Make two 6 1/2" blocks.  Fuchsia brings to my  mind a flower and a hard word to spell.  However, the color's story is about love.  Not love in the sense that we think, but in honor of one person's love of botany - Leonhard Fuchs, who died in the 1500's.

Cut, cut, cut.  The rest of the greens go down today and for some of them, this is the third spot they are used.  Whew.  I sure hope this one sews up quicker than it cut.  Batting, backing and binding are cut as well.



Moving on -- the parts for this month's Illusion block are cut and I didn't take a picture BUT, THIS is the leftover after two months.  SOOOOOO crazy.  At this rate, a whole second quilt will be possible.


One last item for today -- Summer Moon for March is cut.  I started in on the baby quilt, discovered that I am short fabric --- yeah, fun to find out AFTER cutting it.  Now what?  Moving on, I get dressed for the first time since January.  We are leaving the house to go to Costco for some groceries.  Yep, it's time.


We did the grocery run and are back home.  That's it --- no more going out for a bit.  We're beat.

12th - I feel as though the cutting table will never be cleared.  Each month it is a battle zone for at least a week.  I've started cutting a baby quilt but as I get to the very end, I realize that I don't have enough fabric do do my plan.  ARGH.  I've pulled a couple others to try to make it work and I just don't like it.  A run to the store will be required.  Onto something else.


How about focusing on something way in the future?  Yep, I had "crazy squirrel" disease today, but once something gets in my brain, it must come out.  Some quick google searches and a phone call to a friend.  We now have a spot booked to watch the solar eclipse on April 8, 2024.  Yeah, that's how I run.  Once that is done, back to the cutting table and this month's Ruby Juliblee fabrics are out and ready to be chopped up.  It seems too overwhelming this time, but I get a start on it before calling the day "done".

13th - First, I decided to go Suzy Homemaker this morning and made Phyllo Raspberry Cream Cheese turnovers.  OMG --- so, so good.  


After all that creativity, I then completely lost my mind and committed to THREE sew-a-longs next year.  Goodness.  Yep, I'm certifiable.  Posts are up and groups have been created.  It's 10-months away, but, let the party begin.

Back to the cutting table -- Ruby Jubilee is done as are some blocks for my heart sachets and the patterns.


During one of my many trips out to the studio, I actually stopped and noticed this beauty.  A sure sign of spring.


So --- I gave up and made a run to JoAnn's for some fabric so I could finish cutting the baby quilt.  There were littles out front and some extra goodies came home with me.  Who can resist?


BUT --- this lovely fabric works great.  I'm really going to love this little quilt.  It is ready to start sewing.

14th - Happy Valentine's Day!!!


I woke to a lovely card near the sink in my bathroom --- first thing to see.  So wonderful!  I truly have a gem in my sweetie.


I'm SEWING today!  Crazy, right?  It seems like all I've done is cut, cut, cut.  Summer Moon blocks for March are ready to go, post is written and I have an item crossed off the very long list.


My Puzzler blocks are also made and ready to mail.  I made one extra to keep as an extra for myself -- just in case.  


Ahhhhh --- out city deck out with love.


15th - I was watching Tula Pink this morning and came across this quilt.  Oh, I really would love the hard copy pattern to it, but it appears to be non-existent.  So sad.  It is by Allison Glass and called Trinket.  Love, love, love it.  Would be a fun quilt-a-long project.


Peeked out the kitchen window and spotted this one --- odd in the daytime, but not unheard of.  Pictures through a window that the birds manage to keep really dirty (there is a feeder right here, too).



The sewing machine is calling and I have all the blocks for the March table runner put together.  This was a fun and simple sew.  The hardest part was at the cutting stage as I figured out which colors to put together. 


Quick layout.


So, a couple of weeks ago I discovered that the lids to my stainless PC bowls had cracked and broke.  I wanted to replace them and it turned out that a friend was having a party at the exact same time.  Perfect.  I also replaced my food chopper that I think someone tried to chop rocks with at the retreat center when I forgot it one time.  A new instant thermometer jumped into the cart as well.  All of this to say that the package arrived today with over $25 of unordered items as well.  Crazy.


It's the 15th, which means that the UFO challenge has ended for the month and a new one has been drawn.  Even changing mine around didn't help.  What a month it has been.  At any rate, the new number is 1, which is the one I switched to last time.  Maybe I can get them both done this month.  HAHAHAHAHA


My Going Green table runner is sandwiched and the binding made.  We are ready to quilt.



AND, along the way as leader/enders, I got started on this month's Illusions block.

16th - The Secret Lives of Color - Shocking Pink.  Make one 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  Soooo, this color, shockingly enough (hahahaha) has it's roots in the Singer Sewing Machine family.  Daisy Fellowes was her own person and it showed in all she did -- this color has a grand history involving hats, diamonds, perfume, and Marilyn Monroe.  BUY the book, I beseech you.


Today, I tackled ALL of the March Secret Lives of Color blocks, but I'll share those on the appropriate days next month.  Just know they are done.  This month, I can't put any together from the pinks though.  Oh well.  Onto the little heart sachets -- they are a BINGO mark, ya know, and I'm trying.  One half-hour later, I have a TA-DONE.  Woot, woot and they even smell good.  Now to gift them.  Biggest challenge -- to remember to gift them.  I take things and come back home with them all the time.  Such an airhead.


A start on the Ruby Jubilee blocks happened - 3 down.


Along with work on the Illusions block.  All I have left is to applique the circles onto their blocks and then make a strip and attach it to the mother ship.  ALL, again HAHAHAHA.

17th -   It's a Paula day.  I am off to Gatesville bright and early to meet Karen and talk with JP about what he wants us to do.  He showed us some spots he's set up in the house to keep his sweetie with him always, we worked hard for several hours, went to lunch and returned home with LOADED car of items to sell, take to retreat, and find homes for.  Hard day and I don't really want to say much more about it.  

18th -  We leave on vacation tomorrow and yesterday I put in a quick purchase for a walking stick, which arrived today.  Yes!  I think it will really come in handy with these weak ankles of mine.  I want to do the hikes and not have Mister worry the whole time.  The rest of my day is devoted to laundry and packing and preparing the house for departure.  Plants are all inside, 


One of our visitors REALLY got thirsty.  First time we've seen them up on the table.


Satiated and on his way out.

19th -    VACATION!!!  We get a bit of a late start, but are on our way.  Here is the Day One LINK to share in our crazy fun at an abandoned zoo.  YEP, you read that right.  But first --- a stop at JT Ranch Quilt Shop in Cisco for a pink fat quarter -- BINGO mark.  I've wrote about them before -- here is the LINK to that post as well.  I even got to spend the afternoon and all evening with my daughter.  That makes the perfect start to this vacation.  Some hiking, grandsons, and special time with Jen.  Life is good.


20th - On the road again and our very first stop is for coffee and cinnamon rolls at Kelly's house.  I couldn't go past her on the road without stopping in.  Here is the Day 2 LINK to join in all of our fun today.


Do you know where this is?


21st -   We are truly in vacation mode now and a full day is ahead according to our mapped out route.  Can we do it?  I've broken the day into halves and this is the First Half Day 3 LINK.  The second half of our day includes arrival at Big Bend National Park, the reason for the whole trip this direction.  Here is the Second Half LINK to the day.  Part of our second half was running into this shop and I have a Quilts Etc. LINK just for it as well.  The whole day was simply a feast for the eyes and I'm super excited to see what tomorrow will bring.

I did find this little travel case while at the shop and think, perhaps, I can turn it into a mini-class at retreat.  Seems plausible, at any rate.


22nd -  The Secret Lives of Color - Fluorescent Pink - Make two 9 1/2" blocks.  Think 1970'2 and black lights.  Yep, even Crayola got into the fray with a box of fluorescent" crayons.  Want your mind blown?  Put this deep inside and stir it around for awhile:  "Most of the colors we think of as fluorescent are actually just very high-intensity hues.  True fluorescents are so bright no only because the colors are very saturated but also because the chemical structure of the dye or material absorbs the very shortwave light in the ultraviolet portions of the spectrum, which humans can't see, and re-emits it as longer wavelengths, which we can."

Happy Birthday to my sweetheart.  Come along with us on our journey in Texas, spending the day exactly how he wishes to.  Here is the Day 4 First Half LINK       Day 4 Second Half LINK




23rd - Today is our big hiking and Big Bend Day.  As a result I've created several posts just to show the beauty of the park.  Here is the Part 1 LINK - Santa Elena Canyon.


The Part 2 LINK - Dorgan Sublett Trail


Part 3 LINK  - Tuff's Canyon

Part 4 LINK 

and Part 5 LINK  - Chisos Basin.  It's been a fabulous day - not at all quilty, but extremely fabulous.

24th - Our return trip starts today and ends with visits to college grandsons.  Perfect.  We started our trip out with family and have found a way to almost end it the same.  Here is the Day 6 LINK  and a peek at some more of nature's fun.

25th -   We've hit the last moments of our trip and TODAY --- there's quilting stuff involved.  Here is the Day 7 LINK and it has all the "other" stuff.

  A stop at Kelly's Quilting Corner LINK  (yep click that for the fun) in Coleman, TX nets me a couple of fun Row by Rows that I can put up in the studio.  Someday.  It's always "someday" right?  I have dreams, too, but time is rapidly passing.

The second stop is in Early, TX with Quilter's Hide Out LINK  (yep, there's your click again).  This time, the treats are some NEW (as in just released) fabrics.  How fun is this?

We arrive home safe and sound to find my first Dear Jane book waiting on the porch for me.  It wasn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow, but . . .

26th - The Secret Lives of Color - Amaranth.  Make one 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  Think of the beautiful amaranth flower and the history begins there.  It goes all the way back to the Aztecs before the Spaniards got involved and outlawed it.  It was highly steeped in the Aztec culture and that could not be tolerated as it was seen as a parody of the sacrament - associated with Christianity.  As a color it has had its ups and downs as well - ya gotta read the book on this one - so, so much there.

It's kind of a "take a breath day" back home.  A quiet morning and some blog writing happens along with a package being delivered.  The shirts for our upcoming August retreat have arrived!  I am so excited and I just can't hide it . . . 

I am also working on posting some sale items from Paula's estate.  It's going to be a big job, but hopefully all will go smooth and I'll be able to help JP out a bit.  At this point, Mister wants out of the house (these are the last two days of his vacation ya know) and so off we go to Frogg's Coffee Bar and Creperie.  Honestly, it was a last minute choice as the place he WANTED to go to was closed for a catering event.  Drat.  Frogg's is great though and I couldn't be happier.  Just look at how yummy this must be.  Food art.


A stop at IKEA and the hunt for a new cabinet in my bedroom that will hold quilts and let me have a bit more space than the current armoire.  This one has possibilities.  The one on the right also could work if two were stacked. Hmmmm.


And then ---- perhaps a dream kitchen.  I REALLY like this.


27th -   Another morning of pictures and blog posts.  It's going to take awhile as there are a ton of pictures.  That's really not a surprise, but still . .   For the "get out of the house" part of the day, Mister has us off to OHB for a beer and some dinner.  A raffle is going on and we win a hat.  Now, rather than Oak Highlands Brewery, I'm going with One Happy Babe.  So much better.


28th -  It's back to the real world today.  First up is to make an appointment for a COVID test so that I can travel to DC in a couple of weeks.  I'll be so glad when this part of life ends.  Packages for the Puzzler block exchange and round robin extra fabric were mailed and I'm ready to move forward.  An attempt to sit down at the machine has me spotting the quilt of Paula's that I brought home to work on.  Let's get it going.  First up is to square it and cut binding strips, then make the binding.  I was really lucky when I found the binding fabric she had selected in the vicinity of the quilt.  Sure made it easier to follow her wishes.  NOW, I need to focus on the table runner for March.  Things did NOT go well for me and I finally had to switch machines to finish the quilting, but I did get it done.  Whew.  Binding is on and I'm off to get it stitched down.  This has to post tonight and there's nothing like procrastination biting you in the butt to make a person move a bit more focused.


It's a TA-DONE


I've even cleared the table just for this picture shot.  I like it.

Well, how did I do with BINGO?  Could have been better, but considering COVID and a vacation, not too bad overall.  How was yours?

We've made it to March and the next month in our Color Your World theme - GREEN.  The original post with all the information on this theme can be found HERE and the brand new stuff for this month has a post all of it's own as well.  Please click on this March LINK  for the details.  That's where the BINGO card is as well.  Come on and

Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - DONE
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - Ready to set
Green Table Runner - DONE
Rhododendron Trail - Ready to set except borders
Ophelia Quilt - 
Illusions BOM - February block just waiting on some applique
Ruby Jubilee --- Blocks cut out and 3 sewn
Baby Quilt - Colors selected and cut out
Secret Lives of Color - Greens posted and ready to start April
Round Robin - Waiting for me at retreat, blocks cut out and ready to paper piece
Puzzler Blocks - Done and in the mail

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stockings - 

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 


2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your month end post every month. Amazes me how much you get accomplished...even while sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ---- it amazes me too. So many times I think I didn't get squat done and then I come back here and read. It truly helps to keep a daily record.

      Delete