Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February 2018 Quilt Update



Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

So . . . . If you have followed me in the past, you know that I have set CRAZY goals each month and it's tough when they just don't happen.  I think goals are wonderful - believe me, without them I fear my lack of  movement.  The thing is -- I just don't want another year of unattainable goals making me feel stressed.  I have a busy year ahead with lots of surprises, family happenings, and retreats.  Those items alone give me PLENTY of deadlines to deal with.  As a result, I am introducing the new goal section - hahahaha, it's the same, only reasonable.  Let's hit the ground running . . . or not.  How about a hot drink and a good read?  See, life is good.  Oh, and the goals each month are at the end of the post now.


The previous 2018 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

1st -  February is HERE!  Part of me wants to say, "Really?  Where did January go?," but the other part is saying, "Woohoo -- It's retreat time!"  That's right readers, I am off to 10 crazy, fun-packed days in Rainbow, Texas.  I will be blessed by the company of some amazing women and although I have given myself a pretty tough "to-do" list, there will be lots of time for friends.  We have some great surprises in store as well.  It's still dark out, but I am outta here.  Come spend some time with us by clicking on this RETREAT LINK .

It is also the first day for our new Quilt-A-Long.  In Our Quilt World Facebook group, we are doing Bonnie Hunter's Texas Tumbleweeds.  Once I am set up at retreat, it is my first focus.  Here is your Texas Tumbleweeds Week One LINK.  Come check it out and join in.  It's never too late to play along.




Once my step for the week is finished, I turn my focus to the patchwork baby quilt that needs to be finished this month.  I've only had MONTHS to prepare, now my new grandson will be here next month and I have oodles to finish.  I was really good in the ideas department leading up to this -- now I need to actually put something together - and more than one something.



Along the way -- a few more Nifty Thrifty blocks as leader/enders.  There is hope for this one too.

By the time I call it a night, I have webbed, set, and bordered my little quilt.  It doesn't go well -- lots of changes along the way.  I love how the borders turned out, BUT it sure meant making my brain work into the wee hours.  In fact, when I sewed my binding strips into a giant loop, it was definitely time to say goodnight.  I'll save my TA-DA for tomorrow morning.

(No, I never noticed the glaring mistake until AFTER it was way too late as you'll read further on.  Ugh.  Oh, and neither did anyone else._

2nd - TA-DA with the baby top.


I also fixed my binding issue and made it along with the label and cut the backing.  This one is ready to quilt.

A few more leader/ender blocks to help that one along, too.

We are going to have a couple of mini-classes today but Debi, Maria, and I want to go and check out the changes to the property next door and walk down to the river real quick.  What fun and I have to tell ya, it's much easier than it used to be.  The river is way low but fun is still to be had.  Smile, my friends.


Val is teaching a mini-class on fat quarter bags.  I brought enough supplies to make a couple of them and they are truly fun.  First one up is in browns with a wine fabric lining.  The second one is black/white for our theme next weekend.  Love, love, love.


3rd - My entire focus today is on this Diaper Changing Station.  By the time the day is done, so it it.  TA-DA.  I cannot believe how much I learned.  Wow.




Bag ladies unite


4th - It is the last morning for the first group.  Whoosh.  Time flew so fast.  Once the house quiets down, I settle in with another project.  This time it is the Backseat Babysitter.  It is officially Tweener Time and that was your link to check us out.  I am literally the only person up past midnight and it is almost 2:30 before I go off to bed, BUT this is another one in the Done column.  TA-DA.  I'm staying on schedule so far.  I have a hunch that will change, but at least a few things are being marked off the list.

5th - With the place empty and quiet(Val and Debi are working), I set about making the Featherweight bags - one for myself and one as a shop sample at Rocking Bobbin.  I am thankful for the quiet as I really have to think on these. I work on both at once and then once I have all the pieces prepared, move onto just mine.  I think it will be better to do it first, let the mistakes come here and not on one that the public can inspect.  I make it up to attaching the sides.  I had wanted to get further so now my schedule is off kilter.

6th - I am bag to work on my bag and after the step which resembles giving birth is complete, it doesn't take long to call this one finished.  TA-DA



I then moved onto the second back and completed it up through the quilting.  It is ready to assemble tomorrow.  Night.

7th - Still WAY into FW bag mode, my focus is on the shop sample.  I am so close when I discover that I have the wrong zipper.  Really?  Dang, dang, dang.  It'll have to wait to be finished once I am back home again.

Since I have another group coming tomorrow, it is time to clean up.  I start with the swap table and discover lots of strips of squares that need a home.  I am going to make another Fat Quarter bag with them, but for now, must keep cleaning.  We have decorations to get up and lots to do.  Ana and Sherri are here to help along with Rocky and Maria.  We've got this.

Once the work is done, I make my bag.  Nope, no picture but it'll show up later in the bag ladies for group two.  If I remember.

8th - It's time for Black and White - A Black Tie Affair.  Bring on group two -- we are ready.  You can follow along with all the fun in this  A Black Tie Affair LINK


It is also week two of our Quilt-A-Long and that is my focus for today.  I really want to stay on top of this one and the best way to do that is get them out of the way on the first day.  Task accomplished and here is the Texas Tumbleweeds Week Two LINK

9th - We are well under way and it is day two at retreat.  Tonight is our formal night and I have more decorating to do along with making mini cheesecake desserts for tonight.  First things first - I get a start on the Stroller Organizer and then I'm way into preparations.
Our formal night was a smashing success and if you didn't check out the retreat link, you really should.  Our host and hostess, Kay and Stan, outdid themselves and made our night so magical.  Here's to some of the most amazing women I know.


And, my Diamonds (short two - Jen and Sharron are not here -so sad).  I owe everything we do here to these ladies.  They are my beginning and I'm thankful they still want to play with us throughout the year.


10th - The big push for today is to finish the Stroller Organizer and I manage to pull it off.  TA-DA.




That's the last of the set.  I just have a diaper bag left, I think.  Throughout all this, I have finished the Nifty Thrifty blocks and onto the design wall they go.  In fact, I'm just gonna move right along and get these set with sashings and then not take a picture cos that's just how cool I can be sometimes.  I even manage to get the first set of borders made and the label.  Wow.  That's some progress.  It's ready to finish setting at home.  I need to start putting things away.  This place is a disaster and tomorrow we are going home.  Le sigh.


11th -  I did such a great job of packing last night that I can even sew a wee bit this morning.  I have this Fall Wall Hanging from my last trip to Montana and would like to get a start on it.  The pieced section is complete and attached to the panel.  That's all she wrote this go round.

Nature has given us a bit of a change in schedule as everything is covered in ice and the roads are terrible.  We're here a bit longer than we thought, but I just keep breaking down around the room. By the time the last four of us leave, we have really emptied the room.  It's been a great 10 days (yes, it is the 11th day but I'm on my way home) and I am already looking forward to a repeat in May.  However, March and April retreats come first.  We'll be back.


12th -  As per my normal behavior, I am pretty dang useless today.  I have unpacked and organized a bit, but please don't think it's anything special.  I do get a chance to go through all my lovely gifts and treasures from the swap and sale tables.  Oh what fun it all us and everyone is just so sweet to each other with these.

Additionally, Sherri delivered a loom for Mister.  I think it is dang scary -- but something new to try , for sure.  What adventures will it hold?

13th - I REALLY would like a "do nothing" day but know that I will kick myself after if I go for it.  Let's see --- what can I work on that sounds fun?  Ooooh, I can cut blocks for my Red/White project.  Once I complete that --- pictures and blogging take precedence.  People are waiting.


14th - Happy Valentine's Day!  It is my most favorite day of the entire year.  Absolutely.  A day devoted just to loving one another -- how much better than that does it get.  People mistakenly think it's just for sweethearts, but no -- it's just for loving one another.  Pure and simple.  Unfortunately, my sweetheart has to work today but that does give me a chance to sew a bit.  I complete and deliver the second Boxy Tote Featherweight Bag and work on my beach block before once again visiting the computer to develop more pictures.


At that point, my love tells me that we have dinner reservations at Thai Opal.  Ooooooh -- I do love that man.  What a great dinner once again and time together is not to be taken lightly.  Thank you Sweet Mister.

15th -  I need to work on the weekly Quilt-A-Long but oh my gosh.  The studio cannot even be worked in so I am heading out there to do some cleaning.  A couple of hours later, I have resorted all the fabric into new containers per color and made sense of the mess once again.  Whew.  Now into the house for this weeks step.  You can follow along in this  Texas Tumbleweed Week Three LINK.


16th - Nifty Thrifty is calling me today.  I really would like this one to join it's twin in the finished column.  It's just so close.  A couple of focused hours nets me all the borders plus backing and binding.  It is now ready for quilting.  Yes!

A couple of days ago, I decided that I wanted to purchase a new light box with the Christmas gift card from my mom.  I ordered it right away and today, it is here.  I cannot wait to try it out and as soon as I can get it out of the box, I grab the white blocks I cut the other day for my Red/White quilt.  Settling in, I soon have one block finished and totally prepped to take to court on Monday for something to do while waiting.


Since I have R/W on the brain, why  not sew up three blocks for this month?  It is the same block only each in a different size.  It's fun and I do love how they turn out.  Another check mark on the list helps me to smile as well.  Hmmmm - there is still day left and Mister is still working.  Now what?  Ohhhhhh - maybe it is Whims time.  Pulling out the mini design wall, I have just enough room to lay out both blocks at once.  I do have to admit that I'm seeing how to do this better each time.  I still have a very long way to go, but little tricks are being discovered.  That funny dark spot in the center of the one on the left???  It will be covered by the appliques.  Those are just so that I can sew evenly.


They are ironed on and ready to sew.  Yay!  Now, perhaps a little blogging before calling it a night.

17th - Saturday means time with my sweetheart but I have a Red Hat Event for lunch.  It is up in Plano so we don't have to leave for awhile.  We opt for relaxing and hanging out until then leaving me the chance to cut some of the Whims parts and iron the fusible onto fabric.

Now for my event and you can check in with this Red Hat Post.  Check out the darling little coin purse that Miss Etta gifted me.  How fun is this?


After a full day with my sweetheart and the beginning of "birthday season," we are home to relax a bit.  I settle in to cut itty bitty pieces of paper and fabric while watching the Olympics.  Go U.S.A.

18th - Time with my sweetie dominates the day but I do manage to clean one tea set in order to start under-glazing it as it is a birthday present for a granddaughter in May.  I am short two plates - one of each size - and a phone call is made.  Apologies come my way and they will be ready for me to pickup before the end of the month.


Just before bed, a quick dash to the machine and I have both of the Whims blocks sewn and ready for what comes next.  I am truly in love with this fusible graph paper.  Honest.


19th -  Finally!  The weather is warmer although pouring rain.  At least I can dash to the studio and just camp there for the day.  On Ringo Lake is up on the frame and I need to get a baby quilt finished.  That means the frame needs to be cleared.  Choosing a fun feather/heart pattern, I set to work.  Four and a half hours later, she's coming off the frame.  It was a 10 bobbin event.  Whew.

I do have to admit that I believe I am in love with this one though.  It just touches my heart so much.  I'm fairly positive that you will see this on the bed if you visit anytime soon.  I just need to find some cute shams to go with it.  No, I am not sewing them.

Wanting to be with my sweetheart while he works, I switch to spending quality time with the iron in the office working on my Whims blocks.  This month goes much easier and I know that by the time the last blocks are finished, I'll hate the early ones but that's how it goes.  It'll still get put together.


With some time remaining, I trimmed up ORL and starting working on the trimmings, so that I can use the fabric in another project.  I have no idea what happened next, but beer went flying everywhere followed quickly by two flying adults.  Goodness, what a mess.

20th -  Quick as a flash, I am off tot he studio this morning.  I WANT this baby quilt finished.  It's small and quick.  Whoopee.  Zoom.  Done.  Why can't everything go this quick and smooth?  Smooth????  Yes, this is where I discover that the quilt is not correct.  Really?  I am so serious -- all of those pictures at the top of this post didn't clue me in.  NOW what?  Ugh.  It stays and my grandson will grow up knowing Gammy is just not perfect.  So be it.  I quickly load my Nifty Thrifty #2 for quilting and starting putting the binding onto ORL.  True zipping from project to project.


Once the binding is on ORL -- I might as well trim up the baby quilt and add the binding there too.  Well, at least that is the plan until I discover a slight issue.


Besides the fluff EVERYWHERE --- I am short.  Please let me have another small piece somewhere.  Oh lucky day.  I find a piece about 8" long, piece it in and that is that.  Now I have two quilts to bind.

I'm ready to work on something small for a change and move into the office to start the stitching on my wool nativity pieces for this month.  Baby Jesus and His manger are February's selection.  All the embroidery is soon finished and tomorrow it will all go together.  I'm done for today.

21st -  Good morning!  I have a couple of errands to run this morning.  On the way home, I make a quick stop at Tuesday Morning and strike gold.  Oh my goodness.  All Timeless Treasures, Robert Kaufman, or Bernatex.  Retreats prizes galore.  I could not be happier.  It also fulfilled my need to buy fabric and yet not break my "no new fabric" rule for this year.  What a perfect stop.


I start working on the diaper bag and accessories.  It doesn't go well., didn't go well.  My patience is not wonderful today, so after ripping the quilting out, I set the whole thing aside and find solace in finishing Baby Jesus and the manger.  Since handwork seems to be friendly today, I'll stick with it.  Next up - bind ORL.  Hours later, done.  TA-DA



Lastly --- I really am enjoying the hand stitching today so a start on the Red/White embroidery block gets underway.  Once I walked away from the machine, it was a truly fun day.


22nd - Happy Birthday Mister!!  I wish I could spend the whole day with you but you have to work and I will be in court all afternoon.  Yay us.  In the meantime, though, it is Texas Tumbleweeds Week Four and I want to at least get a start on it before heading downtown.

With the units complete -- I race to the shower and off to the DART with my embroidery block in tow.  By the time DART rides, court, and evening television are passed, my block is finished.  It's just so dang cute.

23rd -  Trying to set a good example and stay on track with the Texas Tumbleweeds Quilt-A-Long, I focus on finishing week four all the way to it's completion.  Yes!  Here is the WEEK FOUR TEXAS TUMBLEWEEDS LINK for those of you who are following along.


My daughter called earlier this week and reminded me that the cradle curtain I made was pink.  She is having a boy and so one of the errands I ran earlier this week was to get fabric for the curtain.  It's a nice, soft, sheer weave.  I love it and quickly set about shaping and stitching up the curtain.  Using a broom handle and coffee table as my props -- here's an idea of how it will look.  Stop laughing.


I asked Mister to take the picture of me holding the curtain.  He also saw an empty flat space in the living room and wanted to record it for posterity.

I seem to have a bit of ADD today as I am just flitting about and working on crazy items.  For example, I prepped ALL of the remaining nativity parts for my trip to Colorado next month and then moved onto prepping a very large Red/White embroidery block for same trip.  In total, I have spent a couple hours on the light box and need a break.

I'll bind the baby patchwork quit and see how much more white fluff I can send into the air.  It's done.  Isn't this a great picture?  Notice how I managed to put the label on the bad corner?  My Mama didn't raise no fool.


24th -  I really need to start cleaning up some areas of the house.  If I can trace the remaining image on the Red/White block, at least this part can be put away.  DONE.

Now -- the rest of the day belongs to my sweetheart.  We are meeting his family for lunch and then have plans for a special treat after.

A stop at the antique mall is always fun. We spend a couple of hours just wandering the place and zero items walked out the door with us.  Maybe another time.  Click on THIS LINK to take a quick trip through my eyes.

Our afternoon destination is Northpark Mall where La Duni has a "baked Alaska" - kind of.  This is a standing joke between my sweetie and I.  Every single time I ask what he would like to eat, he responds, "Baked Alaska."  Today he is getting his wish.  After splitting an entree, our treat has arrived.  Ooooh -- flaming even.  Yes, it is cake.  Yes, it has meringue.  No, the ice cream is not baked inside BUT it's on fire.  I'll take what I can get.  Once home --- it's Animal Airport cuddling on the futon.  Have a nice night.


25th -  Good Morning!  Dallas Blooms at the Arboretum has started and we are off to enjoy.  With all the rain, we're pretty sure it's not in full bloom but next weekend will just be a repeat trip.  It works.  I managed to come home with some beautiful photos -- if you click on THIS LINK, you an enjoy them too.  It's worth it. 

Mister has to work today (so sad) so it's back home we go.  I want to stay quiet and not distract him, so look out studio, here I come.  I need to make a second attempt on quilting these diaper bag parts and once that is done (yay, it worked out "okay"), I decide that since I'm already out here, Nifty Thrifty and I are going to get re-acquainted.

Boom!  Two hours later, it is off the machine with the binding on.

There was just one little hiccup and it all worked out okay.  As I neared the end of the run, I literally had less than 1/2" of backing remaining.  Wow -- that's cutting it close.  Why did is eat up so much of the back -- I just did a really large stipple?  At any rate, I am definitely doing the happy dance here.

 My sweetie is still working, so out comes the fabrics and patterns for my beach quilt and I soon have next month all selected and ready to cut.  Yep, I'm jumping ahead because I can.

With work finally finished, we settle in to watch the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and my fingers are merrily stitching away.  There is a chance I will have a UFO finish this month.  Please let it be so.

A quick peek in my room tells me that I have definitely been working on many things at once.  Well, at least I've tried to and had ideas to peek at.  I just invited a friend to stay the night before the Dallas Quilt Show in a couple of weeks.  Hmmm.  I guess this room will have some attention paid to it by then.

26th -  This month is rapidly winding down.  I really need to finish up on the baby items so that I can mail before he arrives.  This is the project for today.  ALL DAY.  I am soooo close to finishing but need a few items -- some vinyl, some bias binding tape, and some Fray Check.  The rest will happen tomorrow.  The diaper bag itself is finished except for the Fray Check and some zipper pulls so I'll share it now.  I used some chenille on the front -- BAD IDEA.  What on earth will I do with this stuff now?  It's awful.  Hopefully, I can get it to fluff on the area it was used on.  Otherwise, well it is just going to look like it does.  So sad.




Here's a little peek inside.  I have added pockets and bound all the inside seams.  Yes, this is my Portuguese project.  Soooo many stories to tell.  I will have people laughing at the next retreat -- for sure.

I also finished the bibs and a little packet to hold diapers.  All that is left is the changing mat.

For my evening entertainment, binding on NT and only one side to go.  A little bit of a late night as I worked on pictures for the blog.

27th -  I have to make a JoAnn's run in order to finish the Maternity Set and I'm just not wanting to go just yet.  I still need to cut out and sew the Rockport Carryall this month.  I'm on the hunt for some fun fabric and discover that what I want to use is directional.  That means I have to make fabric.  Fantastic.  I get to it and soon have all the fabric cut and ready.  Now, onto the foam.  Drat -- I do not have enough -- Amazon here I come.  It's ordered a few minutes later but won't arrive until Thursday.  So much for finishing this project in February.  Am I devastated.  Not at all -- I'm just cruising.

A QUICK trip to JoAnn's -- I am not joking here -- in and out within 10 minutes including a vinyl cut.  Now, back to the Maternity set and finally, I can say this is done.  I have made the zipper pulls, used the Fray Check and completed the changing mat.  Whew.  Now, when my package arrives on Thursday, I'll have a box to use to mail everything in.


You just think that is all of it.  Now the fun part is that all except the patchwork quilt fit inside the diaper bag.  Crazy huh?  It'll easily go into a small box for shipping.


While in the studio using my free arm machine to attach one last piece of velcro for the above projects, I decide to vacuum all that blasted white fuzz up so that I can load Pineapple Blossom.  Check and done.

Since I have to do the label on the baby quilt, I round up all quilts that need labels written on.  Somehow they always accumulate without me keeping track.

I even go ahead and write on the Nifty Thrifty that I am binding.  I only have one side left and it WILL be finished tonight. - honest.  This round has four finishes to write on.  Wow.




While watching a show in the evening, NT #2 is DONE  HERE"S THE LINK if you want to follow all the fun in the last steps. TA-DA


28th -  It is the last day of the month.  I have no idea where it went as it seems like I just made the car payment and here I am making it again.  My oomph seems to have left and I know there are still unfinished items on my list.  I don't care.  In fact, I care so little that I have gone ahead and starting prepping next month's projects.  Hey, a girl's gotta have a little fun now and then.

A beach block is totally cut and ready to go.  Will it be next month or April?  I don't really know just yet but it's ready no matter what.  As soon as I finish, I realize that I really want to clean the dining/living area.  Wow --- I really am out of sorts today.  In order to do that, I have to clean up the cutting area --- quick, run and grab the red/white for next month and get the blocks prepped.  Done.


And that's it.  I literally CLEANED the area for the next bit.  Dusted, vacuumed, put everything away, etc.  Yes, I can accumulate with the best of them, but after awhile it gets to me and this is necessary.  I will find my bedroom this week too.  I promise.  As for the rest of today --- I'm taking it easy.  A few blog posts and some work on retreats.  The painting and carryall will just transfer to next month.  It is what it is.

 As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Personal Goals:

REPLY TO COMMENTS:  This is a big one for me.  I want to stay on top of it and will work very hard to do so.  It may not happen the day of the comment, but I will be fairly current.

UFO for this month:

Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound - loaded in frame
Nifty Thrifty Two - blocks made and set Done 

Current Projects:

On Ringo Lake - quilted and bound Done
Retreat Project made and ready to teach (Rockport Carryall) - Cut out, waiting on In-R-Foam delivering Thursday
Two  Boxy Totes (one for Featherweight Bag Class Project) made and ready to teach -  Both Finished
New Baby Items Finished and ready to gift - Patchwork Quilt Done, Diaper Bag and Accessories  Done, Stroller Bag Done, Backseat Babysitter Done, Diaper Changing Station Done etc
Texas Tumbleweeds - Clues 1-4 - Done

UFO Monthly Items:

2 BOM - Whim's - Done
4 Beach string blocks - made and attached to letter blocks. Done
Red/White quilt - cut out and three blocks sewn - Done

Handwork Items:

Clean and underglaze one tea set (need by May) - Cleaned
Wool Nativity - one item completed  Two Completed
Red/White quilt - one embroidery block worked on Done



Links to Previous 2018 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2018


2 comments:

  1. Very productive month. I think the baby quilt mistake would have looked great with an appliqué on top of it — ive Done that a couple times in the past. Your blog encouraged me to keep a quilt “diary” in a nice sketchbook- I thought I would journal all my quilting activities for the year and maybe many years from now my sons will find it interesting to read —

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and there is no greater compliment that inspiring someone else to follow in one's footsteps. I hope your journal goes well for you.

      Delete