Thursday, May 31, 2018

May 2018 Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

So . . . . If you have followed me in the past, you know that I have set CRAZY goals each month and it's tough when they just don't happen.  I think goals are wonderful - believe me, without them I fear my lack of  movement.  The thing is -- I just don't want another year of unattainable goals making me feel stressed.  I have a busy year ahead with lots of surprises, family happenings, and retreats.  Those items alone give me PLENTY of deadlines to deal with.  As a result, I am introducing the new goal section - hahahaha, it's the same, only reasonable.  Let's hit the ground running . . . or not.  How about a hot drink and a good read?  See, life is good.  Oh, and the goals each month are at the end of the post now.

The previous 2018 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

1st -  Recovering!  Does that word say enough?  We have just returned from our European trip and need several days to just catch our breath and not walk.  I know, I know.  Now that we are in a bit of shape, we should keep walking, but dang --- we're tired.  Groceries are necessary and that lets me stop at Tuesday Morning for a quick peek.  Everyone is posting all about the ad regarding precuts and, sure enough, my store is packed too.  However, I walk away with just a picture.  (Patting myself on the back here.)




2nd -  I mentioned yesterday that we are recovering.  Well, I had my day and now I have to get back to work.  I leave for retreat tomorrow and it's a crazy 10 days for me so selective packing is taking place along with breaks to work on pictures from the trip.  I'm trying to get at least a day or two finished before I leave.  Go fingers, go.

3rd -  Today begins our May time at Brazos House.  All the information can be obtained in this Cinco de Mayo Retreat LINK and it feels nice to just be back.

My accomplishment for today is in completing five red/white blocks.  So far, I'm staying on schedule with this project and hope that will continue so that it doesn't fall into a UFO category.  The best dream would be to take some items out of the UFO category this month.  It's not likely, but we can all dream.


4th -  It's my birthday!!!  Last night the ladies surprised me with a beautiful birthday cake.  I'll admit that it is the coolest cake I've ever received.  Yes, I've made really fun elaborate cakes for my kids/grands but I've never received one.  They have truly made me feel special on this 60th birthday.  Wow, is that number really right?

As for today?  Well, I am working on a beach block, but also having trouble staying focused.  It's nice to just relax for tomorrow is a travel day for me.  That's right.  I'm actually leaving retreat for a few days but will return.


5th -  I am up, up, and away today.  A drive into DFW, putting the car into parking, and making my flight occupies the morning.  I am off to Provo and some time with Cassie while John Paul is being blessed.  You can follow along on our fun with this SLC LINK.

The girls are gifted with the rain capes I made last month AND I manage to get some redwork stitching in during the flight.  This block is so close to being completed.


6th -   It's baby blessing day!  He looks so sweet and it is absolutely beautiful outside.  Perfect all around.

Also, the girls are just so sweet too.  What a fun couple of days for me to have.

 Meanwhile, back at the retreat, the between time is starting today and I've been kept in the loop so you can too with this Tweener Time LINK.

7th -  With a VERY early departure, I am on my way back to Texas and the retreat.  The sunrise is Utah is greeting me and saying good-bye all at the same time.


It's a quiet house to return to.  I need it.  I feel as though life has just been a race the past week.  Now, I can breath again.  What was I working on?  Oh yeah -- my turtle.  Once it is laid out on the board, a simple webbing follows and I soon have my block.


8th -  I really didn't pack a ton of projects for this set of retreats as I wanted to feel a little less pressure and enjoy my time here to the fullest.  However, I still want to do some sewing.

Today I am back on the Whimm's blocks and get both laid out and the backgrounds stitched.

I'm a little unsure of the long one, but did as I was instructed.  It just seems a little crazy to me.

9th -  Today's goal is to get the two blocks completed with all their crazy tiny pieces.  I have to really concentrate on this aspect as it does not ever come easy for me.  Starting with the long block, I discover that the picture I was given is not even remotely accurate.  That's why the background really doesn't work right.  I'm not taking it apart and chalk it up to lessons learned.  It's a bolt of fabric for those, like me, who don't see it right away.


The second block goes much better and this nativity is truly delightful.  I even love the sparkly in the star.  Both blocks are finished.


10th - Today, our second group of ladies arrive and the fun starts all over again.  You are more than welcome to share in our fun with this May 2nd Retreat LINK.

 I also received some beautiful flowers from my daughter, Cassie.  Each year, I am here over my birthday and Mother's Day.  My children always make it special for me and I am so blessed by them.

A quick tweener picture and bring on the next group.  Let's get this party started.

11th -  Jen arrived late last night and brought another pretty plant to me.  My little corner of the world does look lovely.


It's game night and I am so happy to have this time with my daughter.  Each year we spend this weekend together and I do treasure it.  Yes, she quilts too.  Even better.

I've been doing a bit of teaching today.  You will have had to check out the link to see just what was being taught but needless to say, it was a VERY long day with lots learned and accomplished

12th -  First thing this morning, I finish my bag.  OMG -- I LOVE it and think it is technically the nicest thing I've ever made, but it certainly added some white hairs to this head.  Probably quite a few to my students too.



A trip to the river helps.


Once back, I am ready to tackle another project.  No, this one wasn't on my list.  I saw one here and determined that I wanted to learn how to do it.  I have bought enough vinyl (does that count as fabric???) and will use up the zippers and fat quarters that I already have to make additional project bags.  This is wonderful.  I also tackled one of the photo frame tool holders that I've been teaching everyone else to make.  I don't know what the issue is, but I can't do it and rip, rip, rip.  When finished, I think it is horrible, the stitching is terrible and I just can't figure out why this tripped me up.

13th -  Leaving retreat early (Oh so sad.  Left my daughter and friends sleeping away), I am headed home for my nephew's college graduation.  I'm not going to dwell on how unhappy I am about their choice of time and day.  Here's the Graduation LINK.


14th -  Today is picture developing and resting.  More flowers have arrived and they are so lovely.  Let the season continue.-  I get a little work on blog posts and 2019 retreats accomplished too.  Bookwork time.

16th -  It's another computer day.  More pictures and blogging.  I'm almost there --- down to 2 posts and about 400 pictures.  Oh my.   My fingers have flown all day and we are running away tonight.  Mister is taking me off to Jimmy's for a Rose tasting with antipasti.  It is an annual event and, as always, we have a great time and follow it up with dinner at Taco place around the corner.  Tacos Y Mas?  No idea, but a small street place.  It's been a fun night out together and I'm ready for some sleep.

17th - Today I follow a wild hair and go to check out a possible future retreat center.

Yes, I've been talking about this for awhile and really would like to make it happen.  The location is awesome, I'll tell you that much and that's about all for now as I have no idea as to whether anything will come from the day.




18th -  Last week, I offered to help Maria with a workshop she is doing in Weatherford, TX.  That means another early morning jaunt across the metroplex, but I'm getting good at that this month.  You can peek at our day in this Workshop LINK.


For the evening, Mister and I are off for some delightful time together.  Jen calls while we are coming home and says she'll be in town Sunday.  Time to rearrange the schedule.

19th -  Fun times!  A sew day at BLRC and I'm managed to jam pack the day once again.  I don't think this one is ALL my fault, but I'll certainly lay claim to the first two events.  First up - meet up with the gals at the Best Little Retreat Center for a day of visiting and stitching.  I'm simply doing hand work, because, as I've said, I loaded my calendar a bit too much for today.  Follow along with this LINK for the bulk of the day.


In the middle of my day, the Red Hat ladies are having the May Birthday luncheon.  I've been looking forward to this for a couple of months as it let me shop and you are invited to come along.  Here is the Red Hat LINK.

After lunch, I return to the BLRC and spend the rest of the day with friends -- wonderful friends.  My sweetie has set up a dinner with old friends tonight, so around 6, I say my good-byes and go to retrieve him from the train station.

It's off to Legacy West in Plano and a very enjoyable time with even a little fountain magic thrown in to make it even more special and memorable.  Dancing waters --- aren't they just so fun?




20th - When I returned home last night, I discovered that my sweet man had spent most of yesterday cramming to clean the house for company.  We don't plan on being here at all today, but I love that he made this effort.  Once Jens arrive, we are off and running.  You can follow our adventures in this Family Time LINK if you so desire.  One of the places we stopped had this neck pillow filled with rice.  Now, I've seen these before, but not in this shape.  My mind is already trying to churn out a pattern for it.

A trip to Mom's to deliver groceries ends our night AND my calendar.  I have absolutely  nothing on it for the next couple of weeks.  I'm trying to decide if that is good or not.  At any rate, it's break time.

21st -  Still working on blog posts and pictures.  It's never ending but my hope is to get caught up soon.  Also spent a majority of the day making doctor/dental appointments and running into roadblocks.  Ugh.

22nd - And another day of computer time.  More posts are up and I still managed to go vote.

23rd -  It doesn't seem like much, but I managed to get dressed today and go grocery shopping.  While there, my nephew called wanting to meet up.  This resulted in some fun times downtown.  If you want to see a GREAT exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art, please check out this DMA LINK,  Lots of fiber work included.

24th -  I 'think' the blog is mostly caught up.  Time will tell, but at least for the moment, I am current.  Frankly, I'm ready for something other than typing and pictures.  However, sewing just isn't doing it either.  (Side personal note:  The old mouth is seriously giving me issues and I am on hold until June for my appointment.  I have now officially lost almost 8 pounds.  Perhaps this is a good thing?

25th -  I have finally drug myself back into the sewing arena.  My goal lists a finish on one nativity piece so I take three out back with me and sew them up -- back into the house to stuff and add rice, then a quick finish stitch to close them up.  Yay me!  I have a shepherd, a wise man, and Joseph finished.


26th -  Another day --- ugh.  I am really struggling to get through this month.  I grab a few more pieces of my nativity set and crank them out today.  Two more wise men and another shepherd.  I am DONE!  Into the house I go to set up the entire set.


Hmmmm.  There seems to be someone missing from my set-up.  Mary is AWOL.  A quick search of my bedroom does not produce her.  Back out to the studio I go and guess what?  She is just laying right beside the machine waiting her turn.  Oh goodness.

It doesn't take too long and she is added to the group.  TA-DA --- this is finished!!!!  I love it and am pretty dang happy to have a finish this month.


27th -  Mister decides to clean the garage today and I can't stand that he is out in the heat all by himself so go out to haul crap to the curb.  It's bulk pick up this week.  I cannot believe how much we stack up --- but it's definitely a start on the purge we both feel is necessary.

28th - It is Memorial day and my sweetie has the day off.  We decide to move all the branches in the backyard to the front and add to the bulk pick up.  WOW --- I go back inside when that is finished and he doesn't show up.  Apparently, 100 degree weather is perfect for trimming more bushes.  Crazy man.  Once he does come in, I send him to the shower and tell him I have found a new spot to check out tonight.  I have GOT to get out of this house.  I am at the 10 pound mark now and yet, going crazy.  There is a new brewery nearby that deserves a complete inspection.

I even manage to help nibble on his fish and chips a bit.  Solid food is not working well, but the flavor was incredible.


29th -  I am paying for last night as my stomach is a complete mess.  I know ya'll are here to read a quilt blog but real life is attacking this month and doing a fine job of it.  I spent the day in bed watching movies.  Yep, a real go getter here.

30th -  It's another down day -- more movies and little accomplishment.  Come on June -- let's get this waiting behind us.

31st -  I have finally finished all pictures for this month.  I even ironed some stabilizer onto the backs of the blocks for the beach pillow.  Taking a picture might have been a bit too much so it didn't happen.  Another couple of movies got me through the day.  Yes, I promise that next month will be more along the quilty lines.  I WILL do better.  Just bring on the 4th.

 As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Personal Goals:

REPLY TO COMMENTS:  This is a big one for me.  I want to stay on top of it and will work very hard to do so.  It may not happen the day of the comment, but I will be fairly current.

UFO for this month:

Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound
Garden Party - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Beach Pillow worked on -  Minimally, but yes.
Texas Tumbleweeds - quilted and bound -
Professional Tote -  DONE

UFO Monthly Items:

2 BOM - Whim's - DONE
1 Beach block - DONE
Red/White quilt - five blocks sewn - DONE

Handwork Items:

2 Boxes finished for tea sets - One More Complete
Wool Nativity - one item completed -  SET COMPLETE
Red/White quilt - one embroidery block finished - DONE
Halloween Pillows worked on -  Embroidery Started

Links to Previous 2018 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2018
February 2018
March 2018
April 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment