Monday, April 30, 2018

April 2018 Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

So . . . . If you have followed me in the past, you know that I have set CRAZY goals each month and it's tough when they just don't happen.  I think goals are wonderful - believe me, without them I fear my lack of  movement.  The thing is -- I just don't want another year of unattainable goals making me feel stressed.  I have a busy year ahead with lots of surprises, family happenings, and retreats.  Those items alone give me PLENTY of deadlines to deal with.  As a result, I am introducing the new goal section - hahahaha, it's the same, only reasonable.  Let's hit the ground running . . . or not.  How about a hot drink and a good read?  See, life is good.  Oh, and the goals each month are at the end of the post now.


The previous 2018 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

1st -  April Fool's Easter -- Were you fooled this morning?  My family in Montana is inundated with snow so I mentioned that they should just leave the eggs white and have them hidden outside.  HAHAHAHA.  At any rate -- Happy Easter everyone.  My day is being spent with family for a brunch and then just relaxing with my sweetheart.

We decide to end the day with a lovely cheese tray and wine.  Perfect.



2nd -  I have a rain cape sample to make for retreat and so am making progress on it for the morning.  Around noon, I am off to final glaze three tea sets and turn them in for firing.  The Kiln and I is allowing me to just use their room to work in so that I don't lose the travel time back and forth.  Yay for me.  All my pieces go from slightly showing their colors after the first coat


to being almost opaque again after all the glaze coats are complete.  Now to fire.


On the way home, I stop to pick up the blessing quilt from the embroiderer.  Yay.  Another thing checked off my list of "to-do's".

Once home, Mister has made me a happy girl by working on the rewiring of my beloved Rowenta iron.  I am not even sure it will go back to retreat again.  I love it so much and really don't want to lose her so I think the Oliso will come out to play and have a permanent home there.  Seems right.



3rd -  On rain cape in the complete column.  My serger performed beautifully and I'm truly happy with the outcome.  Yay -- sample is ready and so am I.  I'm actually prepared for this class AND for retreat.  Everything is packed and staged.  Woot woot!

4th - Jen M. is hosting a Sew Day at her house and I haven't attended one of these in ages.  I am up early and out of here, taking only hand work along with me. Time with friends is indeed treasured and today is perfect.  You can follow along with our fun in this LINK.  (Some progress is even made on my red/white block.)


5th - It's an "OFF TO RETREAT" day.  The only way I could go and play yesterday was by being  super prepared.  Today, the car is on the road bright and early and Brazos is the goal.  Please check out this Retreat LINK for all the scoop on the wonderful time we have.

My goal for today is to get the bears for John Paul painted.  Goal met - yes, it's a quilt retreat, but ya do what ya gotta do.  All that is left here is to spray the glaze on tomorrow.  Please let it be a nice day out.

Moving on, work was made on the Whimm's block.  All in all, a great day ---


with great friends.  Night ya'll.

6th -  Day two of retreat and first things first.  I am outside in the beautiful sunshine trying not to totally destroy the picnic table on the porch.

Mission accomplished and these are now ready for the trip in May for his blessing.  Another check mark please.


Some fun at the river and back to my Whimm's block.  I am trying to enjoy everything and not get too caught up in a long list of "must do" items.

Once those two are complete, it's time for rain cape number 2 and to teach the class.  Here we go and here is my finished product after a few changes had to take place.  Yep, the teacher blew it and had to re-cut her lining and remake her hood.  Ugh.  So much for my confidence in teaching this class.


What an amazing group of women to be associated with.  It's just way too much fun here.  Someday I hope this is my daily life.


But --- perhaps not this part of it.  Oh Sherri, Gwen, and Betsy -- what did we do?  I know -- a lesson from our youth relearned.  However, what fun we have doing it.

7th -  So as with any stupid moment -- the fun you have comes back to bite you in the rear.  This morning is a prime example of it.  The picture says it all --- don't ya just love our flag -- my hungover idea -- Sherri's work.  I think it will have a place of honor at all future retreats.  Just sayin'.


So, my day (yes it's after noon when I come out from my room so the morning is gone) is spent padding back and forth from my table to the ironing board, just barely managing to finish another Whimm's block.  TA-DA.

At this point, I decide to pack up and focus on my remaining hand work for the evening.  It's getting sooooo close.


8th -  And just like that --- our retreat is ending.  It's sad but more memories have been added and love shared.  An early morning finish and my block is complete for this month.  Awesome.

Sherri and Paula stay to the end helping me with shutting this place down.  I am so thankful for amazing friends that always have your back.


Saying good-bye is never fun, but pointing the car towards my love makes up for it.  As soon as I arrive home, the car is unloaded and we are off to Dallas Blooms Week 7 (yes, that is a link), dinner out, and just relaxing together.  Love this man of mine.

9th -  It's recovery day and that is about all I have to say.  My recovery is taking a bit longer this go round.

10th - After a day of rest, I am ready to go.  Arising earlier than my sweetie, I get the pictures developed, posted and begin and begin blogging.  The next task is to start prepping for the upcoming May retreats while ticking off this month's items.  I cut two months of the red/white blocks and bag one set up - that will be one day's task at retreat and the other set will be finished here at home.

That's about my energy for a bit, so I settle into the office and work on ironing my beach block faces in place.  I am so liking this block.

Out comes the light box and soon I have two months of embroidery blocks AND my Halloween pillows are marked.  I'm flying later this month and they might make good travel items.

Speaking of travel, the remainder of my day is spent planning on the trip.  We leave in 9 days -- I think it is probably time to really put some effort into it.  Don't you?

11th -  A wee bit of progress is made on the blog and then I want to focus on a few finishes.  First up is the recently cut red/white blocks.


Followed by the angel in my wool nativity.  Yep, that a really proper sentence alright.

It's a beautiful day out and I want to enjoy part of it as well.

A trip out back and I have selected the fabrics for May's tweener class -- a professional tote I am pretty excited about -- and the rest of the day is devoted to the trip and future retreats.  Organization is the only way to keep everything running smooth and I'm giving it my best.


12th -  Each day I am trying to move forward just a little at a time.  I know that most of the day it is necessary to keep planning the trip, but an hour here and there helps me to stay focused.  I can only stare at books and planners for so long.  This morning I am off to the studio to do the applique work on the beach faces block.

After about an hour, that's enough for today and I move back into the office to cut and prepare my beach pillow blocks for the exchange in September.  I was so lucky to find this kit on the swap table at retreat.  It's gonna be oh so cute.  Now, back to the books and notes.

13th -  First thing I head for the studio with the belief that I will quilt the top that has been on the frame for awhile now.  We are not going to say just how long, right?  That doesn't go well and I give it up instantly.  Super fast abandonment.  Perhaps next month.

Now, back to those cute beach blocks, which I manage to get ironed together before the books start calling again.  More study required as well as some pre-packing.  What am I going to take?  Decisions, decisions.  I have to keep it simple as I am carrying it all on my back.  Think LIGHTWEIGHT.


Taking a break, it's back to the studio, a few last stitches of applique, lips sewn on, and a border added.  The beach block is in the DONE column.  Yes, it looks a little wavy but that will all take care of itself when added to the quilt and then quilted.

I even manage to sneak into the bedroom and put together the wool camel real quick.  TWO items in this set finished this month making it perhaps only 11 months in process instead of the scheduled 12.

14th -  It's a Red Hat day and that means I am moving around trying to prepare.  Lunch up in Wylie is such fun and I even walk away with a prize.  You can follow along with the ladies antics in this Red Hat Event LINK .


Just down the street from the cafe we were in, I spot a quilt shop thus requiring a detour as soon as I possibly can.  It's the cutest little shop and you really need to come along and check it out by clicking on this Blue Ribbon Quilt Shoppe LINK.  I really want to come back up and explore this one further.

15th -  A day with Mister is the best day of all.  We start out at the arboretum with a lovely walk and a chance to smell the roses --- when is the last time you actually did that?  Go now and soak it all in.  Dallas Blooms Week 8 LINK

From there, we went to the Buddhist temple for the Songkran Festival (yep, your link) and some delicious Thai food.  After, some shoe shopping for our upcoming trip.  This time, for Mister.


16th - I have an errand day.  To the bank to make deposits, Joann's for foam, a quick health screening, The Kiln and I to pick up tea sets and back home.  Nothing seems to go well for me, and I'm about done in by the time I'm back home WITHOUT a full tea set.  Ugh.

One bright spot --- the corner in downtown Plano had been yard bombed.  Fun.

Something happened in the kiln and all three sets had issues that needed to be fixed.  OMG.  I'm taking another pitcher home for the smallest set to repaint it.  The owner is going to fix and reglaze the other two sets.


A short break at home to work on the trip and it's back for Mister's health screening (which takes WAY too long) and finally for a beer.  Much needed after this day.

17th - So much to do and not near enough time today.  First I underglaze the replacement tea pot and then am off to Trinity Ceramic for paint to redo two plates with tea pot in hand.  A stop at DSW along the way nets me two pair of shoes for the trip.  No, I was not smart enough to get them while there with Mister yesterday.  Then up to The Kiln and a drop off of the tea pot and paint for repairs.  Back to Dallas with most of the smallest tea set in tow, including the bad teapot for size.  Stopped along the way for a little clothes shopping and scored a couple of fun dresses.  Now, back to packing and studying.

18th - I cleaned up the house, packed my suitcase, organized for retreat, cut out tweener project professional bag, started the box for first tea set, and worked on trip.  What a busy day.

19th -  Mister finished the box for the tea set, using the bad tea pot.  All we need now is the new one.  It turned out perfect though.  I am so pleased.



20th - We are flying today and yet the list is still oh so long.  While Mister packs, I am off to Plano to pick up the new tea pot.  She has also managed to finish the first set that needed reglazing due to the kiln so it comes home with me too.

I change out the teapots, pack the box in a box with lots of protection and make a mad dash to the post office to mail it.  Wow.  Back home to discover I need to rethink my packing.  Oh goodness.  By 1:30 our DART pickup has taken place and we are now at the train station.  Let's get this trip started.


Nice plane, except highly uncomfortable seats.


21st - It's an overnight flight and we arrive around 9 a.m.  For information on the flight and first day, please click this Travel and Day 1 LINK.

By the time we crawl into bed for the day, exhaustion has set in but oh so many incredible sights have beheld out eyes.  Spain, you have welcomed us in fine style and we truly love you already.  One last glance out the window before closing my eyes and we fall asleep listening to the sounds in the park below.


22nd - Day two in Madrid and we are having the time of our life.  So, so, cool.  You can follow along in this  Spain - Day 2 - Link

23rd - Today we are off to Barcelona for a whole new language and set of adventures.  Here's your Day 3 LINK.  Can you say Tapas?


And a beautiful evening along the harbor.


24th - Day two in Barcelona with a start in Montjuic.  Please come along and explore this castle with us by clicking the Day 4 LINK.

Also, it's your window to La Sagrada Familia.  Look it up and put it on your wish list.  Oh my --- I want to go back in 2026 when it is completed ---- the most beautiful church I have ever laid eyes on.

25th - This morning the train is taking us to Lyon, France.  Yep, I am finally in France.  So, so many years after declaring my desire to go there.  It's an amazing day and I have a couple of links for you.  We toured a silk print shop and this is one link you will love:  Silk Printing in Lyon.  Additionall here is the  Day 5 LINK - France.  What an amazing city.

A window catches our eye along the way --- Meilleur Cordonnier de France has a funky machine in it.  It reminds me of the machines we saw up in Nocona, TX at the cowboy boot factory.  Sure enough, a few minutes of translating the sign in my very rusty French explains why.



The night view was indeed something to behold.


26th - I am up and raring to go.  We still have half a day in Lyon before riding the rails to Paris.  If you want to see through our eyes, here is your Day 6 - Lyon to Paris LINK.  One of our stops today is fabric related and you might be interested so, additionally, here is the  Museum of Textiles LINK.  I do think the most quilty thing I see is this jacket, but so many fascinating items are embraced.

The afternoon is a train ride to Paris and the first thing Mister does, after dropping bags, is take me to the Trocadero stop of the metro so that my first real view of Paris is perfect.


27th - Today is WONDERFUL.  We are able to share the day with friends from Texas and I cannot explain how amazing that is, in and of itself.  You will really want to click on this  Day 7 - Paris LINK to see how we spend this incredible day.

28th - I'm kind of sad as it is our last day here.  I am living it to the fullest and making memories to hold onto for a very long time.  Yes, here is your  Europe Days 8&9 LINK.  Enjoy and thank you for following along with us on our adventure.  I know it's not "quilt" related, but it is my life and this is my journal.


29th - An all-day travel home event.  Long is the best word to describe it.

We start out with rain and end with pretty unfriendly TSA agents.  I can't explain why these things happen, but they do.  Paris cried as we left and I almost cried as we returned.  I'm kind of tired of being treated like a criminal in my own country.  Sucks.

Along our VERY long day home, I actually picked up a needle and thread.  I know, right?  Is she feeling okay?  At any rate, some work was accomplished on next month's red/white block.  Yep, next month's.  Does anyone find that as amusing as I do?



30th -  Today is just a day at home.  Period.  We are definitely in recovery, time-adjusting mode.  The miniature roses in the backyard have bloomed in our absence and are gifting us with a bit of beauty today.  Pictures are being developed and some blogging is underway.  I'm not expecting more than that.


 As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Personal Goals:

REPLY TO COMMENTS:  This is a big one for me.  I want to stay on top of it and will work very hard to do so.  It may not happen the day of the comment, but I will be fairly current.

UFO for this month:

Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound
Garden Party - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

April Retreat Project made and ready to teach (Rain Poncho) - DONE
Second Rain Poncho - DONE
Texas Tumbleweeds - quilted and bound -
Professional Tote - cut and ready for May retreat. DONE

UFO Monthly Items:

2 BOM - Whim's - DONE
1 Beach block - DONE
Red/White quilt - four blocks sewn - DONE

Handwork Items:

Glaze and second fire 3 tea sets - DONE
1 box prepared for tea set and mailed - DONE
Wool Nativity - one item completed - ANGEL DONE, CAMEL DONE
Red/White quilt - one embroidery block finished - DONE
Alphabet Bears painted - DONE

Links to Previous 2018 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2018
February 2018
March 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment