Sunday, April 8, 2018

April Brazos Retreat - Rainy Day Fun

The last three weeks have simply zoomed by.  Seriously.  However, that means that we are back at retreat and I am thrilled.  I am pretty focused on arriving and setting up as my neck is still giving me some grief.  Therefore, no time for pictures.  When Maria arrives, though, her camera comes out.  She has quite the welcoming committee greeting her.  I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous.  She deserves it as she is the "chicken whisperer" of the tribe.



It doesn't take long before Sherri and I want to hold chickens too.


Ya just gotta love these moments.  And the feet --- ohhhh, the feet.  How fun.

Alright, enough chicken loving.  I still have things to do and people to help.

Once we are semi-set-up, it's time for the flag to rise.  I LOVE that we have this and feel wonderful when it is flying.  The Quilt Sisters ARE in the house and the weekend can now begin.  We are ready to sew and make merry --- those are not separate from each other, by the way.


At my desk, it appears that my Swedish Fish love has been taken VERY seriously.  This is just too funny.

For Sherri, it's Pez.  I almost bought her two pounds of them, and now that I see all the fish, I should have.  She is remembered, though, and has a new dispenser to play with.

Okay, all this talk of yummy things has my tummy grumbling.  It's time for lunch and we are oh so ready to go.  Who's coming along to Babes?  AWESOME.  We have a large gathering this time and it is just such fun to start the retreat out like this.  Fried Chicken and friends - new and old -- what could be better?

Brenda volunteered to run the Bingo games this weekend.  Go Brenda.  She brought prizes and everything.  I so appreciate all the help and donations that keep these events running the way they do. 

The TA-DA's start out as well.  To the right is Lori's.  Below is Rocky's.  (Psst -- they didn't go to lunch with us.  Sewed instead.)


Debbie's TA-DA ---


It is Lori's birthday and Ana and Karen come through with a lovely cake for the occasion.

That means we must sing and eat sweet stuff.  Right?  Of course I'm right. 

Lori does the honors and cuts the first pieces and soon we are all having tasteful delights.  Half of the cake is white and half is chocolate.  Perfect to meet all needs.  Great job Ana and Karen.


Another TA-DA -- Sherri with a new fat quarter bag


And the first day is gone --- what???  Wow.  Time really needs to slow down a bit. 


Day 2 is a beautiful day.  We have heard that the weather is going to change so we really need to take advantage of the sunshine and warm temps today.  That means I head out to the porch first thing and get my bears sprayed. 

While they dry, I finish up the Whim's block that I started yesterday.  One down, one to go.

The room is so fun to just listen to.  The laughter and love is heart warming and just makes me smile.

As do the TA-DA's.  This time from Gwen.


AND -- my bears are finished.  Woot woot.


Two quilts that Betsy had finished previously have been returned after Maria quilted them.  Oh my, they are just so lovely.  It's fun to watch Betsy see them for the first time since quilting.



TA-DA by Debbie


Angela's TA-DA


Remember that sunshine I talked about?  Now is the time to enjoy it.  We are off to the riverbed to play.





It's the perfect place to sit and contemplate along with listening to and absorbing all that nature has to offer.

Even the bluebonnets have found a place to call home.  Right in the middle of the riverbed.  If we get a lot of rain, these will be long gone but at least we are able to love on them now.

Rocky poncho TA-DA --- No, it's not for her, for her niece.  And, Sherri has another FQ Bag TA-DA


Karen with a TA-DA


I have a rain poncho TA-DA -- It's a good day, I'm getting a few things done.


Kay suggests an early picture outside and I'm thrilled with the idea.  Let's go ladies.  Back row:  Sherry, Brenda, Sherri, Val, Ana, Samantha, Angela, Virginia, Rocky, Gwen, Lori  Front group - Paula, Debbie, yours truly, Betsy (in  front of me), Karen, and Maria.  As I've stated before and cannot stress enough --- I am so fortunate to have these wonderful women in my life.  My cup runneth over.


Angela TA-DA


It's GAME time.  Our theme is Rainy Day Fun and I am always so thrilled when people play along.  This week we had quite a few wonderful players.



THREE new Sapphires join the ranks -- Congratulations Paula, Rocky


And Ana.  Val reaches the level of PEARL.  She is the first one and I am coveting her new tiara.


Game winners are:  Ana for the fat quarters and Angela for the fabric and pattern kit.


The jelly roll goes to Sherri, but she quickly gives it to the second place person, which is Angela again.  Wow, what a good night for her.


And a brief reminder of our evening.  Words are not needed.


My blog, my friends ---






The massage line.


I almost didn't add this, but since it is what sent me to bed -- it needs to be here.  Princess Diana and her train.

And absolute laughter on the floor.  I truly am done for, time for bed. 

After I have retired for the night (isn't that a nice way to say it?), Maria has a TA-DA.  I do love this one.


And good night from Brazos party night.


Day 3 -  First thing Angela has a TA-DA.  No, I am not there to see it, but thankfully, my peeps took a picture.


Sherri and I are moving a bit slow this morning, but when I wake my thoughts are filled with what to do to walk back into the room.  We decide to make a flag and around noon venture out of the room quietly, just walking through the room.  Enough said and we are now going to let this event fade into the past.  It really doesn't need to be one of the legends okay?  However, the flag will remain.  It NEEDS to be there to remind people.  My job is to teach, right?

Val with a morning TA-DA


Ana is teaching the Wonder Wallets and I love how they are turning out.  I manage to get a picture of a couple that Angela made.  Love them and I understand they were both already gifted.  Nice.

Rocky with a smaller size of the fat quarter bag - TA-DA


Gwen with a couple of TA-DA's.  How did she do this?  She was playing last night too.


Lori TA-DA -- this is so bright and vivid -- the picture just doesn't do it justice.


Val with a small slash n dash TA-DA


AND the poncho girls are all finished.  I didn't get individual pics of Ana or Brenda.  Rats.


I have padded back and forth to the ironing board today.  It's about all I can manage, but by the time evening comes, I have finished the second Whim's block.  Oh my, soooo many tiny pieces.  I still need to do the eyes and mouths but that will come much later.  At this point, I clean up my area and haul everything sewing machine related to the car where I've already put the Poncho stuff and ceramics items.  I am now ready to sit and do handwork the rest of the retreat.  I wonder if I can get something finished.

Val is also packing up.  We have quite a few fidget blankets this weekend and I'm so happy about it.   Thank you to all who helped us out here.



It's our last night and so many memories have been made once again.  Although no one wants this to end, the picture is taken and off to bed we go.  Well, most of us.


Day 4 dawns and it is still cold out.  Rocky does another jackfruit demo in the kitchen, with lots of people attending.  My camera forgot to go and I'm sorry for that.

Virginia with her TA-DA.  She has been in and out of the library all weekend working on this one.  It is all muted red/white/blues and really, really nice.

Angela has finished the fabric table runner she won during game night AND a few mug rugs out of the scraps.  Way to go girl.  TA-DA


I finished my redwork block!  TA-DA.  I was just going to take a picture of the block, but they insisted on taking my picture too.  Hmmmm.


Here is the block:


Maria with her last TA-DA.  Wow -- all made at retreat. 


Virginia's fidget blanket.


And Karen with the last TA-DA.  So, soft and pretty.


That's it.  As hard as it is.  We have hit 1:00 on Sunday and it's time to point the cars homeward.  The room is ready to be cleaned and I'm ready for my sweetheart.  Thank you to Paula and Sherri for staying until the bitter end and helping me shut down.  Until May, my friends.  Brazos Out.


No comments:

Post a Comment