Sunday, August 19, 2018

Autumn Splendor - Introduction


Due to popular demand, I am introducing this year's mystery.  With all of the medical craziness that has been in our home since May, I had pretty much talked myself out of doing a mystery this year.  However, I am a toothless wonder stuck in my house so, why not?



For those who are new to a mystery:  This post releases the colors and yardage.  Beginning on September 1 and each Saturday from then until we are finished, a "clue" will be released and posted in my blog and linked in the Facebook groups.  (If you  sign up for the email notifications, you'll know the minute the post is live.)  It is basically a step in the making of the quilt top.  You will be given cutting and sewing instructions for the week and can post your progress so that we can all share in the excitement.  NO, you do not get to see what the quilt will look like until the big reveal at the end.  You just have to trust and rest assured that you will learn something and perhaps challenge yourself a bit.  It's a learning process right?  At all times, you can reach the clues via the Summary page which has a tab at the top of the blog and a link

So, with that - - -

I'm a redhead!  Yep, stating the obvious.  All of my life I have been drawn to the colors of fall.  It is also my absolute favorite season.  The temperatures mellow and the rich colors just come alive.  Attending several retreats each autumn always has me returning to a change in the yard and stopping me in my tracks to take pictures of the magnificence.

One year, for our anniversary, I asked my sweetheart if we could go to New England and be "leaf peepers" for a week.  Imagine my amazement when he agreed and we were able to visit five states during October.  Oh the incredible beauty.


But even more than the red are the golds


and oranges


 Yes, I know --- there are those who are not pulled into this palette.  I get it.  If you are one of them, please choose one that you will love and still play along.  I am using brown in this quilt, but for many brown is just not a great color --- substitute green -- I have even included a color card if you wish to do that.  Are you ready?  Here we go on our Autumn Splendor journey.  I chose from the Behr pain samples at Home Depot if you wish to grab some yourself.  One set is a bit more muted than the other, but both are relatively similar.  The numbers of the cards are listed below with each color yardage requirement.  I am giving yardage for two sizes of tops.  One will finish at approx. 77" x 95" and the smaller one will be approx. 59" x 77".  That is the smallest I can go and not lose the pattern entirely.  As it is, they will be slightly different.


 Now, we all know that I am on a fabric fast.  Do I even have what it will take to put this together?  Out to studio I go --- and within half an hour, I have found all but one fabric.  One, I can deal with and go make a purchase.  Apparently, I am out of oranges.  What do you think?  Now, before you start getting confused --- the green and the multi on the side are my possible bindings and I'm REALLY leaning towards the multi for it.  They are NOT part of the yardage unless you change out brown for green.  By the way, I ALWAYS add yardage for you to allow for mistakes.


 Color 1:  Wine or Burgundy. (This picture looks way more purple than it is -- look above).  Behr color card Spiced Wine PPU1-13. (Secondary card with four options is M140B and I like the Dark Crimson on it.)  You will need 2 yards for the large and 1 1/2 yards for the smaller.

 Color 2:  Gold.  Behr color card Saffron Strands  PPU6-02 (Secondary card with four options is P250B and I like the Splendor Gold.)  You will need 2 yards for the large and also for the smaller.

Color 3:  Brown (and here is where you can substitute green if you REALLY hate brown).  Behr color cardPPU3-20 Cinnabark.  (Secondary card is N190B and my preference would be the Moose Trail.)  IF you wish to go green instead a good Behr card is PPU9-23 Oregano Spice.  (The secondary card would be S360B and I would think any of them would work beautifully.)  You will need 2 yards for the large and 1 1/2 yard for the smaller.


Color 4:  Orange and I found that the fabric I had was slightly more vivid than the card I had selected.  However, I LOVE it.  These are not set in stone -- do what makes your heart happy.  The Behr card is PPU3-02 Marmalade Glaze with a secondary card of P220B and I adore the Construction Zone choice there.  Ideally, perhaps a pumpkin???  Yardage requirements are 2 yards for the large and 1 1/4 for the smaller.

Color 5:  Neutrals.  I am going scrappy here.  Of course.  You really didn't think I'd make it all the way without any scrappiness, did you?  If you find some neutral with a bit of green, that could be fun too.    I went with creamier colors for the warmth -- the toasty ones were just a bit too dark but you are more than welcome to use them.  My Behr card is PPu4-09 Cafe Cream with the secondary card being N260A and me leaning towards the Vanilla Mocha.  Total yardage here will be 3 1/2- 4 yards for the larger and 2 yards for the smaller.  Yep, it's a major player.

Now, remember those other two fabrics that were in the picture.  I have enough of either for binding.   It's just me -- always planning far ahead.  The multi has wines/oranges/golds/greens/and cream in it.  Seems perfect.  Time will tell and the green is darker than the card.  The one in the multi is more appropriate, I think.


Last thing - TOOLS!!  I will be using the Easy Angle Ruler and the Tri-Recs Tools.  If you have them, great.  If you prefer a different method, great.  I will tell you ahead that the Tri-Recs tools are only used in the making of 17 units (9 for the smaller quilt).

Well, that's it.  Are you game?  If so, now is the time to check out the stash and go get cards if you need them.  The countdown begins and we have 13 days before we start.  On your mark, get set, GO!

25 comments:

  1. Autumn is my favorite season, too. Love the colors, and I'm excited to participate in your mystery quilt. Now to search my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! It will be fun and I'm glad you are participating. I LOVE a mystery.

      Delete
  2. Going to give this a shot! Sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I would like to at this stage I best sit this one out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we'd love to have you join in. I will tell you that I try VERY hard to keep the clue for each week within a 5-6 hour range so that those who work can do about 1/2 an hour each day to stay current. The first clue, for example, is about 4 1/2 hours.

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much this sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun participating -- it is a great time.

      Delete
  5. I have never done a mystery quilt so this will be a huge challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are playing along. You'll have fun and learn along the way. I've also discovered from doing them with other designers in the past, if I don't truly love the outcome (which you WILL), they always make a nice gift.

      Delete
  6. I'm game. Love the colors - Got my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are gorgeous. Happy for you that you are feeling up to doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's actually been helpful to focus on something else. I hope you have fun on our mystery adventure.

      Delete
  8. Well this sounds like a challenge. Please include me. I've never done a mystery quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely participate. Just watch this blog and each week a "clue" will be provided on Saturdays until we have a top. Read the clues carefully and you will have a great time.

      Delete
  9. Hi! Got my fabrics - ready to sew! How can I get on email list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! On the main page of the blog, scroll down and on the right side there is a place to sign up for emails. It's right under the motto. Have fun.

      Delete
  10. Looking forward to my first mystery quilt....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I hope it is a blast for you. Remember that it is not a race. Enjoy the process.

      Delete
  11. Hi! Can't wait to make my first mystery quilt! I'm all the way Downunder in Australia.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, welcome aboard. It's great to have you. Australia is definitely on my sweetie and I's bucket list. Someday . . . .

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, We are in the middle of a move, but I look forward to doing this mystery quilt once I get my new sewing room set up. I was wondering if you have shared the sizes of the small and large quilt, before I purchase fabric. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your move goes well. Both sizes are listed in the introduction as well as their yardages.

    ReplyDelete