Friday, August 31, 2018

August 2018 Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

So . . . . If you have followed me in the past, you know that I have set CRAZY goals each month and it's tough when they just don't happen.  I think goals are wonderful - believe me, without them I fear my lack of  movement.  The thing is -- I just don't want another year of unattainable goals making me feel stressed.  I have a busy year ahead with lots of surprises, family happenings, and retreats.  Those items alone give me PLENTY of deadlines to deal with.  As a result, I am introducing the new goal section - hahahaha, it's the same, only reasonable.  Let's hit the ground running . . . or not.  How about a hot drink and a good read?  See, life is good.  Oh, and the goals each month are at the end of the post now.

The previous 2018 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.





1st -   Sylvia Plath once said, "August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born.  The odd uneven time."  I'll go with that last part.  This summer has been challenging to say the least.  In fact, I even told one of my children that it would go down as the worst summer of my life.  Honest.

I have high hopes for the fall --- surgery again this month and hopefully we will turn the corner and start working our way up.  Now, for the next couple of weeks, I will just basically ignore that as much as I can.  My mind does not always cooperate though and I wake in the wee hours and can't sleep without my brain being in top speed.  Finally, I get out of bed and find something to do.  I have a quiet book coming up in March and I want to get a jump start on it so I search out ideas and by the time the yawns start again, I think I have all the pages determined.  It's a start.  Now to snooze a bit.

It's Wednesday and that means the new Pat Sloan mystery block is released.  I said that today would determine if I was going to join in.  It's a wreath!  Oh my heck --- I think I'm being pulled in.  Trying to find something else to think about, the beach pillow receives several hours of my attention.  Borders are on.


What the heck has this turned into?  As I work on the backing, I am short just a bit of fabric and for some reason I can't find anymore.  I KNOW it exists but I've put it away well.  I finally give in and add small strips of swimmers to the sides and call it good.  I'll just say that they are swimming to the islands.  Right?  The top and back are made, now I need to cut batting and muslin for the quilting, then attach back to front and stuff.  It's big -- making it so that I likely need more stuffing.

Some time is spent balancing PayPal but I'll wait to pay bills tomorrow.  Snuggling onto the sofa, I start the redwork block for this month and finish one hoop area.


We have decided to try some fun cocktails once again and tonight is a Pineapple Julep.  Cheers Ya'll.

2nd -  Office work.  Yuck.  All morning my fingers are busy working on retreats and logging payments, sending emails, etc.  All the personal bills get taken care of and I even manage to get the beach pillow sandwiched.  I am ready to quilt this cutie.  That sounds like I really did something.  Hahahaha --- I sprayed the adhesive and laid the top, batting, and backing together.

For the evening, another hoop full of red work and tonight's drink is called a Nureyev.


3rd - This is a scary day.  Lori called and asked for help cutting out her Featherweight bag.  Of course I said yes, but . . . . .  now I'm scared.  This is the first day I have seen anyone other than Jen or Mom H. since the surgery.  Ugh.  At any rate, the day goes well, she gets everything cut out and we have such a great time that my camera even stays in hiding so you'll just have to believe we got together.

In the evening, I have had enough of the house and head out for a walk.  It's a gorgeous evening, making me even more happy that I've made this decision.  I LOVE the trees here in the south and isn't this one of the most beautiful Live Oaks ever?

Another bit of redwork for the evening.  Hopefully one more night is all it will take for this block to be completed.


4th -  A peek at my list for this month gets me back on track and moving forward.  Since the cutting table was set up yesterday to help Lori, I have determined that cutting EVERYTHING I need to this month should be undertaken before cleaning the room back up.  First up:  all the white blocks for Winter Wonderland - my red/white quilt.

Once that is finished, I find fabric and batting for the quiet book and cut all pages and batting.  Now to draw the patterns and start cutting.  I also will be on the hunt through stash to find the perfect binding as I used a denim front and back.


Meeting Jen for an early dinner makes the day wonderful.  I have missed people so much.  After dinner, a quick stop at the Flying Saucer for a beer finishes out the day.

Back home and TA-DA!!!  I have finished this month's redwork block.

5th -  Sundays are made for togetherness.  Coffee shop stop and then off to the zoo to see the baby gorilla.  What a great morning.  We are sooooo lucky and the hippos were in the mood to put a show on for us.  You really should check out this LINK as we managed to get some really great pictures.

On the way home I ask Mister to stop at JoAnn's as I need more red floss.  I am really going through it - and for some reason need more than the pattern said I would.  While there, I also grab some felt pieces for the upcoming quiet book. About the only thing accomplished today is selecting fabrics for Pat Sloan's mystery.  Yes, I bit the bullet.  Ugh.  We leave again for me to hunt down a tiny red bow,  Mister at hardware store for bird feed, and then back home to dinner and Greatest Showman for the evening entertainment.  My sweetheart presented me with his homemade Moscow Mule.  Yep, made his own ginger beer for it.  Oh so yummy.  I'll have another please.

6th - First thing, I cut two Merry & Bright blocks (Pat Sloan's mystery) and start building the blocks for Ava's quilt.



Time to stop and we are off to the doctor for my sweethearts weekly check-up.  All of his stitches are out and he's cleared to start working with his hand to get full use back.  This is a good thing and it' doesn't look near as bad as I thought it would.  Whew.  I have strawberries that need to be jammed and set about that task.  Within an hour --- TA-DA


And now to hit the machine.  I don't leave until one set four-patches are sewn, spun, and ready to press.  The second set is ready to sew.  I have been using the M&B block 2 as a leader/ender and it is now laid out and hst's made.  I'm calling it enough for today.


7th - Getting up early is a bit rare for me this month, but today is an exception.  I settle in and start in on A's second set of four-patch blocks, completing M&B Block 2 finished as I do so.  What do you think?  I think the center block looks like Mister -- hahahahaha.  Both sets of four-patches are finished and I'm ready to lay this out.  What do we have?  Well, I think I like it.


A short time later, I have it all sewn together and it's time to leave the machine behind for today.


Well, first some quick seams on the border parts and I guess that's good enough.  I grab another r/w block to work on this evening since I can't get my act together to get another project ready.  My turn to make a drink this evening and it's a Painkiller.  Seems apt.

8th - It's Wednesday so block 3 for M&B is out.  I quickly cut it and am ready to sew.  Borders on going on A's quilt when I hear the mail arrive.


A couple of days ago, I decided that I needed to add a chimney to my M&B block #1 -- see, I know you were wondering why I went straight to the second one.  I put out a "help" for some brick fabric and my friend, Stephanie, answered the call.  Oh my goodness -- look what she sent me ----  I seriously only needed a 2 1/2" square.


At any rate, I get everything cut for the chimney, cut and make sham top for A and leader/ender blocks 1 and 3.  The borders are on A's top and now to start making binding and find backing.


Block 3 is complete and all block one needs the snow applique I've added.  I working on how to add it by using needle turn applique -- something new.  For the evening, another redwork block is finished.  This one went really quick.  Two hoops and done.

9th -  It's RAINING!  How glorious.  I love it and make a quick run to the back studio in the hopes of figuring out what is wrong with the midarm as it might be cool enough to be out there without turning on the a/c.


First up is to take out the stitches I put in and messed up.  Check.

Now, let's rethread this and cross my fingers that I don't have a major issue.

Once it is ready to go, a little practice run is made and everything looks good.  No broken thread, etc.  Do you think I can actually quilt today?


I get started and something is just not right.  I go along for a bit but my machine keeps stopping.  I think the stitch regulator has an issue and maybe I just need to clean the rails.  HOWEVER, the humidity is horrid right now and I have got to get out of here.  I'll be back, just not today.  And, I'll be ripping again.


I've been working on the beach pillow for our exchange next month and priced stuffing for it.  Dang -- it will take quite a bit.  Luckily, a couple of days ago, Amazon had their body pillows on sale for a screaming deal - truth - and it has arrived.  It is a little too bit so now I have the task of cutting it down to size.  First I try pins and am only able to put a few on the edges, nothing after that.  Think - think.


I have Mister help hold the pillow down and just chop off the end.  Can you explain to me why the main pillow looks straight after pinned together but the little one is curved?  Hmmmm.  All I have to do now is sew the end closed and it will fit right into the shell once it is ready.  Moving on.

I would really like to finish up some of the messes I have created around the house.  I have the dining room table covered with the light pad and some OLD iron-on patterns.  Today's task is to trace them with a Sharpie and then transfer the pattern to some old flour sack towels that I have had hanging around for oh, let's say, 40 years.  Yep, that's right.  The original transfers have faded and I need to help my old eyes a bit.  Look how dated this is -- too funny.


I have three of the towels finished and four to go.  Two of them have transfers good enough for me to use but I have two entire ones to redo.  Once I have accomplished the tracing, I can clear the table and clean up one area.  I should get an Atta Girl for that.


Now for the cutting table mess in the living room.  I think I've cut all that I needed to so down it comes.  Now I have room to work on the backing for A's quilt and soon it, the binding, and the label are all ready.  I am ready to quilt but have to work out the issues in the studio first.

I want to finish the M&B Block 1 and I think I know how to do the snow applique but that means I need to iron on some fusible.  Well, if I'm going to drag it out, I might as well get both Whimm's blocks ironed on at the same time.  It works out well and I am able to clean the mess back up.  A few quick stitches and the pillows are done and ready for use as well.  I feel like today has been a good day for cleaning up odds and ends.


Well --- the applique is on.  It's not terrible for a first attempt but . . .   let's just leave it there.  All 3 M&B blocks.


And again, even though I have the tracing finished, the floss is not ready so I grab another redwork block for the evening hand work time.



10th - I am venturing out today and meeting a few friends for breakfast followed by the Plano Quilt Show.  Here is your  LINK to all the beautiful eye candy that was on display.  Thank you so much to those who attended and made me feel semi-human as I continue my teeth battle.  Tonight's treat by Mister is a Cherry Manhattan and that's the day except that I finished another redwork block.  That makes three this month and I'm leaving it be now.


11th -  The weekend is here and as always, that means a day with my sweet Mister.  The morning starts at the Dallas Farmer's Market and it has been awhile since we've taken the time to go down there.  I still miss the old market so very much, but they are doing some good things with the indoor shed.  Perhaps we need to go down for an evening and check out the vibe since Noble Rey Brewing is even in the building.  From there some driving around and a second Farmer's Market that is also rather pitiful.  We made it through two markets and have not a single purchase.  I think that is a record.  Back home for awhile and off to Lakewood Brewing and a movie - Oceans 8 - for the afternoon/early evening.  All in all --- a nice day.

12th -  Sunday morning rituals.  White Rock Coffee and a crossword.  It's usually a couple of hours but today we had to actually drive down as it is pouring rain.  Hallelujah!!  Back home to relax for a bit and I watched a couple of movies.   How to Make an American Quilt was one and while watching, I managed to cut out both sets of Whimm's applique parts.


13th - Monday has arrived and that means today is a preparation day.  Surgery is tomorrow and I hate having a bunch of household things behind when I know I'll be down for a couple of days.  Therefore, laundry tops the list along with decluttering and a kitchen clean.  Once the work is finished I decide that I'll just whip up a couple of paper pieced beach blocks.  Hahahaha, and then I laughed and laughed as it took several hours.  Why can't I wrap my head around this right away each time?  Argh.  They are done, including the embroidery on the girls face.  It's not the best, but certainly reflects my anxiety over tomorrow.


AND --- for some reason I can't just leave the M&B block #1 alone.  Today I had to add a star door knob.  Perhaps now I can just put it in the project box and forget about it.  Evening is working on an OLD UFO -- a tea towel from forever ago, but it is finished.


Now, off to bed BUT for some reason sleep is elusive tonight and I wind up back up working on the some drawings for the upcoming quiet book -- 12 are ready to go.


14th - I have surgery today and have cleaned the house, put away all the laundry, paid the bills, watered the plants showered, and generally completed everything I can to be ready.  Since we don't leave until 1:00 this afternoon, there is still a bit of time remaining and I think I can squeeze in quilting the beach pillow.  I'm sure going to give it the old college try.

As Mister is saying that we need to go, I am responding with "12 more inches."  Sew, sew, sew.  And it's ready for trimming and burying the threads.  I can probably do that from a drug induced state.

Surgery time --- here is how I look just before.  Sooooo sad.  You can tell I haven't had much sleep or food and this whole mouth thing has aged me about 5 years in the last 6 weeks.  It sucks.


And me, deeply influenced by pain killers, after the procedure.  Let the healing begin again.


15th - Wednesday and recovery day.  The Merry & Bright block 4 is out but I'm not even up to looking at it today.  Most of the morning is in bed and I shuffle over to the office to sit with Mister in the afternoon, trimming the beach pillow and burying the threads.  I even find my hoop and start in on another tea towel.  Crazy woman, I'm sure I'll question the stitches tomorrow.



16th - I'm a little bit better today but sneezing my fool head off.  ARGH!!!  I'm a little worried that the procedure interfered with my sinuses.  Pulling out the Christmas fabric for a quick check, I soon have the M&B #4 block cut and ready to sew.

Then, feeling super ambitious, I sew up the beach pillow and get her stuffed.  Once the end is closed, that's it.  I am totally beat and settle in on the futon in the office with Mister to focus on finishing another tea towel.  It's early to bed and hopefully tomorrow will find more strength.

Oh, a bit of time between the computer and drawing nets me some more quiet book pages.  I think I'm down to 5 to finish plus the front and back.  It's a great start this month.


17th -  The sneezing continues and I give the doctor a call today.  I'm worried I will lose an implant or two -- that's how violent they are AND they are coming 8-10 at a time.  It's crazy.  He puts me in an anti-histamine and fingers are crossed.  Trying to keep m y mind off worrying about the whole thing, I start in on my Whimm's blocks. and soon have them laid out, fused and sewn.



The leader/ender is M&B block 4  and it may or may not be finished.  I keep thinking a little embellishment may be required.  I'll just stare at it for awhile along with blocks 2 and 3 for the same reason.

Now, to iron on the appliques for these two watercolor blocks.  It takes me several hours but I'm pleased with the outcome and also ready to sit down for awhile.  The sneezing appears to have subsided and that certainly helps.

I REALLY like the candle block.  In fact, I'd say I love it a great deal.  So, now what?  How about a mystery design and post?  Let's see if there is any interest this year.  I know I'm behind, but it is what it is.


Up close -


Evening television finds me FINALLY fixing the pillow for my grands.  I had to move O's name and add A's and JP's.  It's only taken me two years to get this finished.  It's now stuffed and back in the den where it belongs and there are no other grands on the way --- that I am aware of.

So . . . .  the other day I cleaned out a drawer in my room and discovered several flannel charm packs that call out for a rag quilt - one set of 5 and another set of 4.  I also have all the matching sample cards for them that I can use for backs.  Grabbing a bunch of batting scraps, I just start cutting and soon have a stack of over 200.  I think this is the new leader/ender for me and just fyi -- I've never made a rag quilt but I did buy the scissors a couple of years ago.  In fact, it was around the same time I bought the charm packs and sample cards.  Hahahaha.

18th - After sleeping in a bit, I am up, showered, dressed, and ready to be brave.  I am going to attend the Red Hat event today even if it means being crazy humble without teeth.  I can't wear the dentures since I have stitches everywhere in my mouth so --- well, it is what it is.  I'll just look silly and have fun with some lovely ladies.  You can follow along with our antics in this Red Hat LINK.

After I return home again, Mister and I go out to Home Depot so that I can pick up the paint cards for my new mystery.  Yes, I've gone ahead and bit the bullet.  I wasn't sure I would this year, but it's not like I'm busy with kids or traveling around and it will give me something else to focus on while I heal.


19th -  Autumn Splendor is announced and here is your Summary LINK for all the information regarding colors and yardages.  We start on September 1st and that means lots of fun is on the way.  My fabrics are gorgeous and I am super excited for everything to begin.

Most of the evening is spent with math and geometry.  And scheduling each weeks clues.  I'm SOOOOOO glad that part is over.  Now for the enjoyable part.

20th -  I am kicking it in gear today.  The list is LONG and I figure if I work hard enough, I won't notice the pain as much.  It's worth a try anyway.  Starting on on the mystery, I put about  4 1/2 hours into it and am ready for a break.  At the Plano show, I picked up a charm pack for JP's car quilt and grabbed all the leftover charms from A's (I had already used all the "girly" colors so have perfect ones left) to put with it.  The living room floor is covered with four patch combos and I'm ready to play with something else now.


Out to the studio as I told myself I would finish a beach block today.  Guess what?  I managed to complete two of them before the heat sent me running back into the house and into my chair for the evening.  Around 3-4 each day I run out of steam and it's time for hand work.  First up, bury the bazillion threads on these two blocks and then, since I just can't leave well enough alone, a few more embellishments to the M&B blocks.  I "think" I'm done with them and we are having a free week so no block to do --- it's really okay as I am not short on things to do and they are a definite distraction.  Ending the day, I start cutting the backing squares for 2 rag quilts out of the stack of samples I have to match my charm packs.  I hope there is enough.

I thought I'd share a bit about the Pat Sloan Mystery.  In her group, when we post pictures of what we have made, we are supposed to share the traditions associated with it.  Here is my entry for the first four blocks:

I've done the blocks each week but it's taken me awhile to post. We're supposed to share traditions so here goes: Block one is in the colors of the house I raised my children in - the memories are so strong and always bring smiles to my heart. Yes, I always wrapped the door like a gift. Block two is log cabin tradition slightly modified. I have loved quilting forever and was gifted this TA-DA fabric last year - quilts are Christmas gifts often and traditions abounded in our home. It's heartwarming to see my children using those same traditions with my grands - especially the cookie baking. Block three - my girls were dancers and we sold hundreds of live wreaths each year. Block four for me is the gift of my sweet man. He even looks like the picture in the wreath block and his never ending support of my hobby would be hard to beat. Bring on block five. (Red is the color of choice at Christmas in our home, thus EVERYONE gets red ribbons for their quilts.)


Ohhhh --- earlier today, while attempting to leave my room, I caught the iron cord with my foot and sent it flying.  No, it's not broken BUT the tiny second that it was on the floor burned a lovely imprint in my bedroom rug and coated the iron with whatever that rug is made of --- goo everywhere.  Time to stop for the day and find more drugs.

21st -  The pressure is mounting to get A's quilt finished so I am once again trying the midarm out back.  Are you a betting person?  Success or no?   NO.  I hit the computer and did a bit of research, ordered some special needles as my thread just keeps breaking and moved onto finishing another appliqued beach block.  Check on more off the list and I am down to just my turtles.  Unfortunately, I don't have the right green threads so will need to shop.  Dang.  In the process, I actually cleaned one small area of the studio --- it's funny really, but it's only the area directly around the machine I am trying to applique with.  Disaster is everywhere else.  The stack of flannel has been annihilated and my blocks for the rag quilts are ready to see some machine time.  I still need a bit more batting but will get to it as there is still a lot of scraps out back.


Basting spray has been applied to A's pillow sham and I've got an idea for quilting so it's ready to be the sacrificial lamb so to speak.

Several more hours on the mystery (math --- oh I'm tired of math) with JP's four patches as leader/enders and I've hit the afternoon, crawl into the chair time.  Burying octopus threads leads me into quiet time and with a little bit of embroidery, it is finished.  Yes, Mister is once again laughing and the totally anatomically incorrectness of them.

22nd -  Every so often I have to do the mundane stuff around the house.  Today is just such a day and I start out with laundry and the computer so that  it all actually gets done today.  The bills are paid (including all medical for Mister, yuck) and I have balanced the PayPal account for retreats along with sending out notices.  I have October and November emails to get out, but it's time to sew and I don't have a lot of the day left.  JP's blocks get a necessary trim. Why aren't charm packs all the same size???  WHY???  These are going to become disappearing four-patches so cutting them up again is next.  Mystery work lets me finish a clue, develop pictures and write everything up.  Now to escape for a wee bit.  I want to go and get the thread for my turtle and once it is in my hand, TCBY is right across the road.  I don't know what happened but the car just drove itself over there.  Regrets?  I have zero.  The wonderful COLD flavor of white chocolate mousse swirled with grapefruit sorbet has made my mouth happy for the first time in weeks.  It's temporary, but oh so worth it.


Right before bed, I cut one block just to make sure I still remember what I'm doing.  Yep, it's all good and tomorrow, I'll hack the rest of these up.


23rd -  True to my word, first thing this morning all the cuts on JP's blocks were made.  It's a great way to start the day.  I will say one thing about not being able to eat --- a lot less time is wasted with that silly task.


Now -- I've made the decision to go ahead and quilt A's top on my 301 out back.  That does present a couple of problems though --- first, since my midarm is mid project, I can't get to the roll of batting AND I can't even find the 301.  Yes, My studio is THAT bad.  It takes about an hour, though, and all is right with my world again.  I am good to go now except for the pesky batting issue.  I did find a LOT of batting scraps so I'm cutting them into straight strips.


It's Frankenbatting time.  I'll see if there is enough for the quilt by sewing these pieces together with a simple zigzag stitch.  It actually goes pretty quick and I discover that I do have enough to make the batting.

In the stacks, I even discover a couple of pieces big enough for JP's car quilt and one for the wall hanging that is in the cue to be done.  Perhaps it's an easy domestic project as well.  I wonder if I can complete it before the beach and have at least one thing to bind while there.  It's possible . . . I mean pumpkins can become carriages so anything can happen, right?


Now, I've discovered that I am out of basting spray and stymied once again on A's quilt.  OMG -- Mister is teasing me that it's been at least a day since I bought something and he's sure I"m going through withdrawals.  I don't think I'm that bad at all.  Not even close but I have seemed to run out of one little thing quite often lately.  Tomorrow morning, first thing, I'll run to get the spray, but until then I'm gonna just keep going here.  This is the sum total of all batting scraps remaining at my home.  Might as well finish them up and perhaps I'll get enough for the rag quilts.  Four and a half inch squares, here I come.


I am pretty sure I have enough.  I got another 135 to add to my stack and if it's not enough, it's dang close and perhaps I'll find a few more when I trim up A's quilt this week after quilting.  See, I'm being optimistic.  The rest of the day is spent working on the mystery, ripping out what I worked on, resewing, and repeating that process.  It is such a simple step --- why are those always the ones that throw me for a loop?   I really got so little finished that I only have one block completed as leader/ender.  Sad, just plain sad.

And now, since I can't sleep tonight (it's now almost 3:00 a.m. and I haven't closed my eyes yet, I have worked on the mystery graphics for hours and think I'll go and give sleep a try.  I finally gave in and took heavy duty drugs so the pain is gone.  See ya'll later today.  Night.

24th -  Even with being up most of the night, I slept in a bit but was still at the store by 10 and home by 11 with basting spray in hand and having made the deposits.  From the door to the sewing machine, I instantly settled right in on quilting the pillow sham for A so that I would have the pattern figured out before starting the quilt.  It went super smooth and is now finished and trimmed -- ready for backing.  From there I decide to sandwich the quilt and quickly discover that now the backing is requiring a good pressing and it's too hot out back to set up the big ironing board.

 Moving it to first thing tomorrow morning (can I find more excuses then?), it's back to the machine and soon all the blocks for JP's car quilt are done and ready to go.  I still have to find sashing, cornerstones, and binding but it's a step forward.  These blocks are just so fun to make.


Behind the scenes work time.  The mystery needs my attention for awhile and by the time I finish today's task, that's pretty much the day.  At one point, Mister walked by right as I said a naughty word (I had been air sewing for a couple of blocks) and returned a few minutes later with a beer.  He's such a smart man.  I made dinner and spent some time with him before deciding to do one more thing.  Out to the studio only to be confronted with no working overhead lights.  Hmmmm - they were fine yesterday and all other electricity in the room is fine.  This will make quilting a bit challenging (see, I knew I could find another excuse).  Even still, I find sashing/cornerstones/binding for JP's project AND got everything cut.  Putting this together will be quick now and I think it's going to be so cute.  All in all -- I'm pleased with today.

25th -  The weekend is here --- Partay!!!  My day starts out pretty cool.  I am only 1/2 pound away from the 20 pound mark of losing weight.  I may even hit 25 by the time I see the doctor in December.  It's going well and I could do so much better if I'd just exercise a little bit.

We just kind of relaxed for the morning then our bi-monthly grocery shopping for Mom.  After a nice visit, we locate 3 Nations Brewing in Farmer's Branch and stop in to check it out.  We order and I ask my sweetie what he chose.  His response was, "I picked one because of the name for the first time ever."  That made me have to go and look closer at the board.  Can you figure out which one he picked.  It's really rather sweet.  For the whole story and everything I learned today (yep, love it when everything aligns for me) here is your 3 Nations LINK.  (Psst - It's way more clever than just "There She Gose.")


Another stop at Central Market so Mister can get the supplies he needs to make his own tonic water and back home to watch The Shape of Water -- not a dang sewing related item touched today.  Tsk Tsk.   Nor did the light out back get fixed.  Tomorrow is another day but there just aren't that many left in August.

26th -  I LOVE our Sunday morning coffee shop ritual.  I's a half mile walk each way and great time together.  As we started out today, the sun on the trees was just so pretty - it changed my entire frame of mind and set me at peace.  I think I've told you before that Mister always brings pencils in his pocket so that we can do the crossword while enjoying the java, but today I thought I'd show how tiny they are getting.  Yep, use it up is a household philosophy here.  As we start back home -- the local veterinarian has a flower blooming that is just gorgeous.  Calm restored once again.  Isn't nature amazing?


We don't really have any other plans for today so I set to pressing the backing for A's quilt while daylight is still helpful since I am still lacking light in the studio.  I haven't sandwiched a large quilt in awhile and I am discovering how out of shape I am.  Wow.  It's quite a workout, but I get 'er done.  While I am doing my workout, Mister is making homemade tonic concentrate out in the kitchen.  I can't wait to see how it turns out but we have to wait three days.

I'm also able to cut the backing for the pillow sham out of the remaining backing so that worked out well.  Mister has headed out back to do a little cleaning and work on the light so I layout blocks for JP's quilt.  I like it.  (Yes, some blocks are turned.  I fixed that before the next step.)


Might as well stay on track and off to the machine I go with sashing/cornerstones/and stacked blocks.  Here comes a web.

It goes super slick except my sashing fabric seems to be movable, as if there is some bias in it.  Hmmm.  As I finish up the top, I have waves along the outside edges.  Well, am not taking those sashings off, so will just deal with it while quilting.  It's not THAT bad and dang cute.


Once I have that finished, I just can't take it anymore.  There is open floor space and I'd really like to see how the beach quilt is going to come together.  Up until now, it has just been on a sheet of graph paper.  Ooooh, I think it will work.  I can see that the center panel is not as large as I thought so will have to add a little there, but otherwise, once I finish up the turtle applique, I think I can put this together.  Woohoo.


To complete the night, I cut binding for JP's quilt.  During the webbing, I started working on his label as a leader/ender.  It is going to be made from tiny little disappearing four-patches from some leftover charm squares that I didn't use.  Crazy?  Perhaps.

27th -  Mister didn't quite get the light finished out back but with my Ottlites and Ikea lamps, plus windows and open door, I have plenty to of daylight to work with.  I'm off to the studio first thing to quilt for a couple hours before my dental appointment.  I get in two hours and then have to clean up and head out.

The stitches are out!  That's wasn't really very fun, but now onto the next step.  I have three months of healing before he uncovers the implants and tests their strength.  Mister went along and we had a long discussion with the doctor to try and figure out some odd symptoms I am having before returning back home.  It's instantly back to the studio for two more hours of quilting before Mister makes me come in.  He says it's because that is enough for today, but I think he's hungry.  Shortly, I have dinner in the oven and a few minutes to try to answer comments and messages.  Whew.  Now what else can I get done today?  (I think I have about 2 more hours of quilting left out back for tomorrow morning.  THINK.  Could be more.


Just before bedtime, I have about half an hour to kill so I attach the backing and binding to the pillow sham.  Check mark.  It is ready for some hand work tomorrow evening.


Still a few minutes so I grab the binding strips for JP and do some quick sewing and pressing.  Presto -- binding is ready to go.  I'm still trying to make the little label blocks but perhaps this wasn't such a bright idea after all.  I have had to remake two so far cos I can't seem to lay them out right.  Ugh.  Night, ya'll.

28th -  Five a.m. and I can't sleep anymore.  It's a great time to develop pictures and write in the blog before Mister wakes and the day starts.  I am ready for the day.

As soon as Mister is awake, I am off to the studio and 3 1/2 hours later, I have completed the quilting and the binding is attached.  However, towards the end I just didn't want to quilt another inch.  Seriously.  So what's a girl to do?  Chop it off.  Honest.  So that's just what I did and then moved onto the binding.


Once that is completed, I'm rather toasty so into the house for lunch and cooling off.  During this time, I get JP's quilt sandwiched  and thus, once my belly is happy, back out I go.  Quilting finished but can't attach the binding as I don't have the label made yet.

Back into the house and that issue is soon rectified.  It's amazing what one can do in a few minutes if determination is a part of the enterprise.

Now to start in on these beach blocks.  It has to be put together in segments and the panels need to be made to the correct size.  Away I go for several hours and then it's dinner/Mister time.


It's also AGT night so that means I will actually watch television for quite a bit.  Threads are buried and binding on A's quilt and sham get finished but I find a spot I need to fix on the quilt tomorrow so it is not a DONE yet.  The sham is.

Right after AGT and during commerical breaks on Making It (which comes on right after AGT and is fun to watch), I sneak out to the cutting table and trim JP's quilt.  It is ready for binding first thing tomorrow.  Calling it a good day.

29th - Waking to questions from Lori gets my brain up and running right away.

Then it's off to the studio to attach binding, fix the spot on A's quilt, and start in on the turtle applique.  Two hours later, the first two are accomplished and all is done on the block except the vine and flowers.  I'll bury threads and do the embroidery tonight along with binding for JP as my handwork.

Pat Sloan's Merry and Bright Block 5 released this morning and after a quick dig in the Christmas fabric box, it is cut and ready to use as leader/enders this morning.


All the remaining beach blocks that can be attached to each other are.  We are now ALL waiting on the turtle so I move onto the border and binding fabrics.  OMG -- it takes me hours to make a decision and I never go through that.  Ugh, finally, it is all cut, both borders and the binding.

Onto the back and I start by pressing and throwing down all the panels I want to put on the back.


Then into the beach fabric box and I start pulling out leftover yardage and fat quarters that were picked up along the way.  Soon, I have a rough layout and start working on the center section to get the length I want before the outer columns.  I'll get to the width as I go.

My Merry and Bright block is finished along the way and it just needs embellishing now.

I'm thinking red bows and some kind of silver ornaments, hmmmn.  White star on top (I only have gold ones here at home and our tree always has a white star.)

Evening fun is A's quilt finishing touches from this morning's repair and JP's quilt.  Both are DONE!






I also buried all the applique threads on the turtle and then completed the embroidery.  One panel on the back wasn't looking like it fit right so I ripped it back off, remeasured (yep, off), cut and will reattach tomorrow morning.

30th -  After a quick check on emails/messages, I am off to the machine right away.  I have given myself a time limit of sewing until noon and then I HAVE to check some other things off the list.  The backing for the beach quilt is coming together and I am down to 3 long seams and 1 short one when I have to stop.  Leanne is stopping by to drop off her pillow and the living room and den are both pits.  I have everything fairly decent by the time she arrives and after our visit, my attention turns to the errands.

Labels are written on.




Pictures are taken of my challenge piece and ready to submit to Suzanne.  The challenge entries for OQW are back from the judge.  I have the one the judges selected and are returning the rest.  It just so happens that I am meeting up with the winner for coffee tomorrow.  Surprise for her.

Returning home, I also return to the machine and get the back finished AND the borders and binding along the way were completed as well.



Intimidation time is over.  The vines are going onto the turtle applique.  Whew.  That worked pretty well and it's hand work time.  All I have tonight is to bury a few threads on the turtle as well as remove some stitches that show.  Time to make dinner and relax a bit.  For my evening entertainment, I make definite progress on the mystery and am ready to rock and roll on it again this weekend.   One more day to go.



31st -   It has arrived.  The last day of the month once again.  Wow.  Even Mister has commented on how quick the last two weeks have passed.  Keeping busy has certainly helped my frame of mind and kept me distracted from the whole mouth situation.  I know I'll be counting down until the next appointment on November 29th.  Ugh -- what a long time away.

At any rate -- I have a few things to finish up today.  I am meeting Stephannie at 9 but it's only 7:30 so a quick trip out to the studio in the hopes of finishing the flowers on the turtle block.  Can you see me doing the happy dance?  OMG -- this block is finished - into the house to bury threads and I'll attach it when I get back from friend time.

White Rock Coffee is the meet-up spot and we have three delightful hours together and at one point I am able to present her with her prize from the Our Quilt World Challenge.  Congratulations, my friend.  It was well earned.


Here is the winning entry and one happy quilter.

It's noon by the time I am back home and if I can get my beach quilt top and backing to Maria today, that would be awesome as I'm sure I"ll be busy with my sweetheart the whole weekend.  First up:  Trim the beach block.  Yeah, it's still a little off center -- so be it.


Add it to the last two rows and get everything ready to attach to the Mother Ship.


I have a top!!!  Do I hear applause???


And onto borders.  First a small bright yellow one -- yellow for sunshine, of course.


And some turtles to finish it all off.  I am ready to deliver this sweetheart.


In the car I go and 3 hours later, I am back home after a wonderful visit.  Friends are just everything in my world.  I am home with a better attitude and ready to tackle and complete the mystery which starts tomorrow.  That's right -- tomorrow.  Are you playing?  If so, we have a Facebook group just for the fun of it all.  Here is your  AUTUMN SPLENDOR LINK so that you can join and post and talk to each other.  The group will come down when the mystery is complete and it will be a closed group so that if someone is not in it, they cannot see the posts.

Dinner out with my love and a drive around the lake on the way home.  Roosters spotted on the side of the road.  Are these wild?  It's a bit odd around the lake.  The sun is just setting and although we missed it, the view of downtown is pretty sweet with the lights of the buildings just starting to come on.


Well, that's it for another month.  On a side note, I hit 20.5 pounds lost today.  Lots of joy over that one.  Can I get another 10 before my doctor appointment in December?  That's the plan.

This next week will be devoted to finishing up any remaining clue writing on the mystery and preparing for the beach.  We leave one week from today and I cannot tell you how excited I am for 10 days of ocean breeze, walks in the sand and friends.  I don't even care if I sew a dang thing.  Until next month, stay creative and live life to the fullest.  Happy sewing.

Personal Goals:

REPLY TO COMMENTS:  This is a big one for me.  I want to stay on top of it and will work very hard to do so.  It may not happen the day of the comment, but I will be fairly current.

UFO for this month:

Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound -  tried several times and had to order new needles for machine
Garden Party - quilted and bound
Texas Tumbleweeds (yes it got moved to UFO status) - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Beach Pillow finished - DONE
Ava Quilt/Sham - pieced, quilted, and bound - DONE and mailed
Quiet Book - all page backgrounds (inc. front/back) cut and patterns selected and drawn or printed - DONE
JP's car quilt - DONE and mailed

UFO Monthly Items:

2 BOM - Whimm's - DONE
Finish Beach blocks and set top, make back, binding, and label - All but label DONE
Red/White quilt - cut white blocks - DONE

UFO Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set - on hold til Mister's hand is better
Red/White quilt - one embroidery block finished - THREE FINISHED
Fix Grands Pillow - DONE
Finish one tea towel - TWO FINISHED

Links to Previous 2018 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2018
February 2018
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018
June 2018
July 2018

2 comments: