Saturday, June 30, 2018

June 2018 Quilt Updaate


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

So . . . . If you have followed me in the past, you know that I have set CRAZY goals each month and it's tough when they just don't happen.  I think goals are wonderful - believe me, without them I fear my lack of  movement.  The thing is -- I just don't want another year of unattainable goals making me feel stressed.  I have a busy year ahead with lots of surprises, family happenings, and retreats.  Those items alone give me PLENTY of deadlines to deal with.  As a result, I am introducing the new goal section - hahahaha, it's the same, only reasonable.  Let's hit the ground running . . . or not.  How about a hot drink and a good read?  See, life is good.  Oh, and the goals each month are at the end of the post now.



The previous 2018 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

1st -  It's June!  Normally for us, we are knee deep in summer camp sessions with grands.  However, this summer is not starting out that way.  We are taking some time this month on our own health.  Long overdue doctor and dental appointments are underway.  Mister started the ball rolling last month with his and it's going to continue forward with mine this month.  The first thing I have up is a dental appointment and I'm not ashamed to tell ya'll that I am scared to death.  I know, it seems silly -- it's just the dentist.  However, my whole life I have had this fear and it is real.  It is what has stopped me from going to the dentist regularly and stems from absolutely never having a good experience when I did.  The last time round, I had a tooth out the same day my ex-husband had some work and he walked away with Bell's Palsy while I was told that I had a hereditary gum disease and would lose perfectly healthy teeth by the time I was 40.  See --- nothing good.  At any rate, it IS the first of the month and I'm going to attempt to still meet a few goals and take my mind off the upcoming nightmare.  Thus, the beach is my happy place so I'll work on cutting out some beach blocks.

2nd -  Weekends belong to my sweetheart and this morning we are off to the zoo to get some steps  in and enjoy the early member morning at the same time.  You can check out our fun in this  LINK


3rd -  Trip back to the zoo and fingers crossed.  Oooooh, we score big time and here is the LINK so you can enjoy the videos.  Such a great morning.

4th - Well, the dreaded day is here.  I have lost over 10 pounds just worrying over this.  Hmmmm, maybe I can find the good in all of it.  I have a new dentist and I do like her a great deal as she handled my fear and tears with ease.  She is compassionate and yet tells it like it is.  She instantly sends me to the periodontist for another exam and then Mister and I will need to talk.  It's all very overwhelming but at least I have this first step behind me.  Now to gert my mind on something else for awhile.  Something easy.

Out comes the fabric and fusible for the Whimm's blocks this month.  Yes, I know it's not much but about all I can handle right now.  Once they are all ironed on, I retreat to a movie.  Avoiding reality is the plan for the rest of the day.

5th -  Right back at the dentist today.  We are taking impressions and discussing the options from yesterday.  I'm not real thrilled with the way it was presented and explain that to my dentist.  She understands and agrees.  We talk about seeing an oral surgeon first and then make the decisions.  Impressions are still make but put on hold until I decide what to do with them.

Home again and working on another beach block that was already fused and just needed to be cut out.

6th -  Mister's dermatologist appointment is today.  When he returns, I discover that they did a body map on him and instantly removed two spots for biopsy.  My mind is totally freaking out so I need to FOCUS on a task.  Three beach blocks are cut out and ready to sew by the time I walk away from the cutting table.  Making all the waves on the one block work correctly used way more brain cells than I have available right now.  My head hurts and it's off to a retreat movie.


7th -  In between bouts of self-pity, I am packing to go to Utah tomorrow.  Mister planned this trip to spend some time with Cassie and to be there for Ophelia's birthday.  He has not seen either Ava or our new little grandson John Paul yet.  It's time to go.

8th - With a bit of a busy day, I start out visiting the oral surgeon to learn of additional options and get his opinion.  With three opinions, I now have two that agree and that helps me make my decision.  Home to Mister and off to the airport we go.  The trip turns out to be something very special for me and the best "late birthday season" gift ever.  Please click on this  Family Link to see what he put together for me.

9th - All day with my five beautiful adult children.  I simply am in heaven.


Mister even manages to get some group pictures taken.


10th - Still in Provo and today is O's fourth birthday where I get to gift her tea set.  You can CLICK HERE to see how much fun we have.

11th - We just have the morning left here in Utah and are spending it with Cassie and the kids at the Hogle Zoo.  It's been a great four days and did exactly what my sweetheart wanted it to do.  I have memories to last forever.  Thank you Sweetie.


12th - Home, unpacking and my sweetheart receives a call from his Dr.  He has Melanoma Cancer - level 4 on his hand and in situ on his arm.  I set about to make appointments with the oncologist and every free moment is spent cuddling.

13th - ALL day has been spent with phone calls and insurance issues.  I am so very frustrated by it all.  The doctor that he was referred to is not in our network, but when the insurance company does a search for surgical oncologists in our network, they are not able to find any.  Thus, I have to file for a "insufficient network" permission to use the doctor.  He also doesn't work out of the hospital in our network so that complicates it too.  What a disaster and nothing is solved by the end of the day.

14th - Giving the insurance a day to work through things, I try to take my mind off everything going on around us and do something simple.  Seven red/white blocks being cut out is the result.


15th - I am back on the phone again today.  ALL DAY!  I am so tired of insurance and doctors and hospitals and this hasn't even gotten started yet.  The weight keeps dropping and I'm literally a zombie.  But, hey, I have passed over a hundred levels in Candy Crush.

16th - Today is the 50's Red Hat Day that I have been looking forward to for months.  I even bought the skirt and shoes.  However, cuddling just made more sense.  My sweetheart is kind of a mess and I don't really blame him.  Just being together and talking is more important right now.

17th - We have got to get out of the house and put our minds on something else today.  First up -- the Arboretum for a walk (Here is your Garden LINK)  and then to Home Depot so my love can pick up some parts he needs. 


18th - My doctor called and asked if I was available today for my physical as they had a cancellation and an opening.  Fortunately, I had not had anything to eat or drink since last night and was able to say yes.  Off I went and returned after the exam, an EKG, bloodwork, and a tetanus shot.  Wow. 

More time on the phone (2 hours) and FINALLY an appointment for my sweetie.  Now, I'm starting to think this sounds like a medical journal.  I'll try and shorten these moments.

19th - Settling in and keeping Mister company while he works, I plug along on my red/white embroidery block for this month and continue making more appointments. 


20th -  I'm feeling Suzy Homemaker today and decide to make some gingersnap cookies.  After mixing everything together and going to put it in the oven, I discover that it has not heated up.  Mister gets it running, but it quits partway through the cookies.  Fun times AND the garage door is not working either so I can't get the car out of the garage. 

21st - My sewing machine is out and being used!!!  Hey, don't y'all fall over from shock just yet.  I may still have more surprises in store.  Lickety Split and I have three red/white blocks finished.


 I also finished my embroidered block - woot, woot -- look at her go.


AND the new dishwasher was delivered.  SCREECH!  That's where the fun day came to a halt.  Fast.  So many issues and all the frustration my hubby has had lately came to the surface.  While he is in the right, I kind of feel sorry for everyone involved as I think he feels the need to control SOMETHING right now.  At any rate -- the dishwasher was delivered, not installed.  Enough said.

22nd - When it rains, it pours.  Mister's Mom is in the hospital and I am off to be the advocate for today.  After 6-7 hours, it's home again and out for beer in evening.  Intrinsic Brewery in Garland and wonderful BBQ for dinner. 


23rd -  Mister and I are both at the hospital with Mom for the day.  I dropped and broke my sunglasses and of all the things that have broke, this one bothers me the most.  Grrrr. 

24th -  Let's see, what can I complain about today?  Do you agree that this is how this post sounds?   ARGH.  Well, my arm still killing me from the tetanus shot.  Mom was able to go home from the hospital today and that's good news at least.  Woohoo!!!!

25th -  Mammogram appointment first thing, then home and hiding at the sewing machine for a bit.  One beach block finish is the result and I have to say it feels good.  Then to oncologist with Mister and the date is set for surgery.  Moving forward.


26th - I just realized that this month is almost over.  I think I'm thrilled with that because maybe things will be more cheery next month, but I have not accomplished very much.  Remember those pieces I fabric I fused for the Whimm's blocks?  Well today I am cutting them out and while doing so get the results of the mammo ---- no issues.  OMG, we both do a crazy happy dance for the first good news all month.

27th - Off and on, I have been working a wee bit here and there on my Halloween pillows and have run out of  purple floss so make a quick trip to JoAnns and for the first time EVER, I walk out spending a total of $0.34.  Stopped for groceries and back home.

Several friends reached out today and talked me into going to a retreat Friday/Saturday with them.  Now I should really think about what I can work on while there.


28th -  The last of my Birthday Fat Quarters from the exchange arrived today.  Now to lay them all out and see what fun I can create from all this coffee glory.  It will be awhile before I get to this and add it to all that I have already accumulated, but I am going to LOVE this quilt.

Planning what to take for the weekend --- I have quite a bit of small stuff to do.  Now to gather everything.

29th -  My machine is buzzing.  I had two beach blocks in various stages of done already sitting there and I want to sew my Whimm's squares together too.  Stitch, stitch stitch.  Finishing one beach block and all but the applique on second one in addition to having the Whimm's ready to iron on the appliques.  I clean by bedroom for Jen, who is arriving Sunday night, pack and wait to be picked up. 


Miscommunication on my part and I am staying home.  Oh well.  Mister promised out to dinner as a result. Unpack.  Dinner at a local seafood restaurant we adore.  Nice night.  AND, a fun sighting on the way home -- just hanging out in a neighbors yard.

30th -  It's the last day of the month.  I can't say I'm unhappy to see it go away.  We spend the entire day working on the house in preparation for me not being fully functioning in the upcoming weeks.  I have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned some more.  The laundry is done and I'm beat.  Mister fixed the oven and installed the dishwasher today.  The garage door kind of works and my sunglasses are ready to mail in for lens replacement.  Yes, let's put this month behind us.

I'm really not ready to sleep yet and while my sweetie goes off to bed, I spend some time ironing on the appliques for my blocks.  TA-DA.  A few things are able to be checked off the list this month and while I realize that it is not many, we have weathered the storm that hit us and are mentally prepared for the next one.  July will also be a test on us big time, but having each other and a fantastic group of friends who support us both makes it easier to get by. 


Thank you for hanging out this month and spending some of your precious time with me.  Never take things for granted and find the joy in each day. 

As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group. 

Personal Goals:

REPLY TO COMMENTS:  This is a big one for me.  I want to stay on top of it and will work very hard to do so.  It may not happen the day of the comment, but I will be fairly current.

UFO for this month:

Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound
Garden Party - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Beach Pillow worked on - Yes
Texas Tumbleweeds - quilted and bound -
Poodle Skirt made - Bought

UFO Monthly Items:

2 BOM - Whim's - YES
1 Beach block - 2 Finished, 1 just needs whale appliqued
Red/White quilt - three blocks sewn - YES

Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set - foam is cut and in box, just needs slots cut out
Red/White quilt - one embroidery block finished -  DONE
Halloween Pillows worked on - YES - green/purple finished 1/2 black

Links to Previous 2018 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2018
February 2018
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018

4 comments:

  1. It's always hard to see kind people dealing with so many challenges. I am so happy for you that you have a wonderful marriage with the love and support you give each other. The first time I saw one of the Yellow Crowned Night Herons in my yard I was really shocked to see such a large bird walking around in the city - LOL! God Bless on your continuing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I really appreciate your kind words and you are right -- together it is easier to handle.

      Delete
  2. I’ll be thinking of you and hoping for a much better July. Stay strong and you will make it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cheryl. I really do appreciate it.

      Delete