Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 2018 Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

So . . . . If you have followed me in the past, you know that I have set CRAZY goals each month and it's tough when they just don't happen.  I think goals are wonderful - believe me, without them I fear my lack of  movement.  The thing is -- I just don't want another year of unattainable goals making me feel stressed.  I have a busy year ahead with lots of surprises, family happenings, and retreats.  Those items alone give me PLENTY of deadlines to deal with.  As a result, I am introducing the new goal section - hahahaha, it's the same, only reasonable.  Let's hit the ground running . . . or not.  How about a hot drink and a good read?  See, life is good.  Oh, and the goals each month are at the end of the post now.

The previous 2018 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

1st -  July???  How on earth is that possible.  Half of the year is over and the second half will go by as if we blinked.  Wow.  It's summer in Texas and that usually means camps with my grands each week, but this summer we have decided to do the medical thing.  If you were with me last month, you know that it was pretty all consuming and we expect it to continue through July, HOWEVER, I am determined to live at the same time -- at least as much as I possibly can.  That includes sewing.  Honest.  We are starting out the month on a Sunday and that is a day with my sweetheart, as always.  Opting to keep my  mind occupied, he drags me off to an antique mall for awhile.  As we walk in the door, I fall in love with this corner cabinet.  It matches my dining room furniture perfectly, but the price is just too high for us right now.  Dang.  Beautiful though, right?  A few quilts are spotted as well, but this pink and white is the only one I truly love.  So, so pretty.



I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow and thus, this is my "last meal" so to speak.  After tomorrow, I don't think I'll get to enjoy anything like this for a very long time.  Steak and salad -- divine.  Jen arrives in the evening and then it's off to bed.  I'm not sure how much sleep I'll get, but good-night.


2nd -  Well, the dreaded day has arrived.  One last smile -- remember this, I know i need to.  The rest of the day is a blur to me but I do recall sending Jen back to Abilene once Mister got home from the office.  Yes, of all days, he had to meet with his boss.

He arrives, bearing flowers and I am now his patient.  I'm not real thrilled and feel like crap, but the deed is done.  Yes, I'm posting this pic of me and Jen right before she left -- I look like **** but, it's real life here today.

3rd -  Once again, Mister is at the office with his boss.  I'm pouting a bit as I'm home alone, but truly all I do is sleep anyway -- drugs, lots and lots of drugs.

4th - Finally, my sweetheart is back working from home and taking such sweet care of me.  I am up  and moving around more, working on pictures and blog posts from our trip in June.  That's about it.

5th - Okay, I'm alive and functioning.  Still dang sore, but able to sit up and be a wee bit productive.  I'll be honest though -- this is way worse than I thought it would be.  Pain with a capital P.  Staying in bed, I have my Halloween pillows to work on.  A dental appointment, quick trip to the grocery store, and a walk around the block fill the rest of the day.

6th - More work on the Halloween pillows and after all these days in bed, my sciatica is going crazy.  That seems fair.  Ugh.

7th - Determining that perhaps standing will help the legs a bit, I set up my light pad and settle in to trace a few red/white blocks.  Finishing 2, a little work on the blog, and some reading occupy the hours today.  For the evening, we head to the grocery store to do some shopping for Mom and deliver everything to her.  I am done in by the time we are home again.  Wow, I really need to build my strength back up.  Liquid diets don't really help with that -- where is that protein drink powder we bought last month?


8th -  Alright!!!  Life -- live it or leave it.  Right?  There is a baby gorilla at the zoo so we are up and out bright and early today.  However, it is too hot out by the time we arrive and she is already back inside.  Drat and double drat.  I don't really want to do much more of the zoo than that, so we peek at the hippos and head back home.  Perhaps another time for the baby.

Once home, back to the light pad and I trace two more red/white blocks, work on the blog, and have almost all the black finished on my second H pillow.  Running out of black floss, it's on hold until I purchase some more.  FINALLY!!!  An idea for the Ugly Fat Quarter Challenge I am in came to me right before sleep last night.  Halleluiah!  I've only been staring at this fabric since January.  My first book is finished and I have moved onto the second in the series.  This convalescing has it's merits.

9th -  Two more red/white blocks traced and a couple more blog posts.  I think I am getting caught up again.


Back to the dentist for an adjustment and a stop at JoAnn's for floss let's me get back to the pillows.  I "think" the black, orange, purple, and green are finished on both now.  Whew.


10th - My daily tracing nets another red/white embroidery block, two more blog posts, and the brooms on my pillows - at which point I discover that the purple was NOT finished, nor was the black.  Grrrr.

11th -  Woot, woot.  I have finished tracing all the red/white embroidery blocks and the light pad is put away.  Give this girl a high five.  The blog posts are current and the embroidery on the H pillows is complete.  OMG.  I really do deserve a shout out.  To celebrate, we are going out to have a drink for first time since my surgery and to help calm Mister's nerves.  He has surgery tomorrow.  Here we go again.


12th -  It's a hospital day.  Truly.  We arrive at 6:00 a.m. for a 10:00 a.m. surgery.  WTW?  Crazy.  By the time they wheel my sweetheart away, it really hits me and I melt down in the cry room.  What is the cry room, you ask?  Well, think of a waiting room and there is always a little room nearby where doctors take you to give bad news.  Finding that room seems perfect right now and I just let the tears come down.  Oh my sweetheart - how I love you.

Once I have the tears under control, I start in on a red/white embroidery block, nervously watching his progress on the screen as I stitch.  All goes well, both melanomas are removed and zones of protection cleared around them as well as a lymph node under his arm removed putting us back home around 2.  Now for his recovery to begin.  His arm is wrapped and in a brace.  Time for drugs.


13th - It's a recovery day for my love but I take a few minutes to return to the dentist for another adjustment.  Something has to be done about these issues.  At long last, I think we have stopped the pain and perhaps I can start inching towards regular life.  I know I still have until mid to late October before I can chew anything, but I can walk around looking human once again.  A quick stop at JoAnns for some finishing touches to the pillows and home to select the fabrics for finishing.  But first -- a stop to get my sweetheart a treat.  He does love strawberry malts so a surprise is in order.


14th - TA-DA!!  I finish both Halloween pillows and I have to admit that they are darn cute.  I am so glad I made one for myself too.



We get up the nerve to unwrap Mister's arm and check things out.  Oh my.  It's pretty interesting but not as bad as I thought it would be.  Trouble is that it is so tight he can barely move it.  I keep telling him it's still swollen, but he's being impatient.  Oh this is going to be a long month and I occupy myself with a red/white block to keep myself near him and yet my mind busy.  We are still waiting on the results of the pathology and it's tense for me.

15th - Once again, staying close to Mister, I hang out on the bed with him and graph my idea for the UFQ Challenge.  A quick run to the studio for two additional fabrics and I soon have a cutting list ready.


I can't take the bedroom any longer and head for a sewing machine and my red/white blocks.  No, not the embroidery ones, but the last of the pieced ones I need for this quilt.  I just get started and Mister says he has got to get out.  Well, all-righty then.  Time to get dressed and my liquid diet just improved.

16th - Good morning!!   I am back at the machine and within no time, my blocks are finished.  Yay -- I get another checkmark AND in the middle of them, I also was lucky to visit with my daughter on the phone for over an hour.  What a treat!


Next up is Mister's doctor's appointment and as soon as we arrive -- the first thing he does is show us the pathology report.  OMG!  It is negative for metastatic melanoma!!!  Negative for residual melanoma in-situ and negative for residual malignant melanoma.  ALL THREE SPOTS!!  We can barely breathe.  It's the best possible outcome.  He is at super high risk for more melanomas and will be monitored closely from here on out, but right now ---- it's a good day.

Once back home, more stitching on my r/w embroidery block and visiting on the phone with Cass.  It appears that A needs a new quilt for her birthday.  I'll get right on that.  While ideas start swirling, I
start pressing fabrics to fusible for this month's Whimm's blocks.

17th - Zoom!  We are halfway through the month and I have only a few finished goal items.  It's time to kick it in gear a bit.  Beach emails are out, Paypal is balanced, and empty retreat spots are filled before I leave the computer.  Now for some fabric fun.

The rest of the Whimm's fabrics get fused fabrics and one set of appliques cut out.  Additionally, my red/white embroidery block for this month is finished.  Yes!  I am feeling so much more productive.

18th - The second set of beach emails, October/November postings are made, beach logistics, and new fabric for A's quilt is ordered - yes I had to buy some for this special order as I didn't have ANY turquoise -- before I leave the computer.

Grabbing one of my beach blocks, I draw octopus parts onto fusible and then cut out the second set of Whimm's block appliques.  While working I notice that Mister's birthday balloon is almost down and out.  Why is this noticeable?  His birthday was in February.  We truly got our dollars worth, don't you think?


19th -  After hemming and hawing and playing with graph paper for a couple of hours, I am now at the computer playing with EQ7.  Why is this always a last resort for me?  A's quilt needs to be worked out and although I have ideas, I want to see how they play out AND get a cutting list.  Woohoo!!  I like it, it's fairly easy to construct, and it'll go fairly well with O's since they are sharing a room.

The mail arrived --- my Whimm's block was delivered just like this.  Seriously?  And on that note, I am bagging it all and am off to see The Book Club all by myself.  This is rather momentous y'all.  I have never gone to a movie alone.  Wish me well.

20th -  So, first things first.  I enjoyed the movie yesterday tremendously and will likely repeat the episode.  As an added bonus, the theater only charges $1.89 for the show.  Perfect.  Now, back to today.  It's 9 a.m. and only 85 degrees out.  I am going to take advantage and go for a walk.  As I'm along my way - these mushrooms are just begging to have their picture taken.  Right smack dab in the middle of a neighbors lawn.


 I feel better having gotten some exercise and after a bit of blogging, I cut out the octopus block and fuse it onto the backing.  Now for the applique and embroidery work but that is for another day.  (Psst -- I really don't like that part.)  Also, the temp is crazy today --- 110 degrees now.  Ugh.


21st -  Today is another crazy hot day and I think I'll stay inside.  I have quite a few things I want to work on and the Whimm's blocks are first up.  With a little bit of ingenuity (as I have a SMALL ironing space inside), the backgrounds are fused.

Okay, okay.  From HERE ON OUT!!!!!  If you are a judge for the Ugly Fat Quarter Challenge that I am participating in --- DO NOT read any further for I am going to share what I am working on.  Got it???  Let's keep it fair and square.

Now, the dang UFQ Challenge is calling out to me and I center my attention on getting the block cut out.  Awesome!  Another step accomplished and I literally cut it sooooo close.  Here is what is left from my fat quarter.

 

Next up --- sewing.  I put the block together and have to take it all back apart and re-square the blocks.  Oh fine, square the blocks.  The trouble was that I skipped that part the first time around.  Now, back together again and I have my block -- slightly smaller than planned, but still good to go.

So, for this challenge, we received a fat quarter of fabric from another member of the group.  We can add up to two additional fabrics, but one must be a neutral solid.  The project has to be 18-24" and FINISHED.  We were also assigned the traditional block to use and somehow create a modern version of it.  My block is the Buckeye Beauty shown above (small) with four together to create a block.  Obviously, mine is a bit different.  I sure hope I met the requirements.

While watching a show with my sweetheart, my hands are busy drawing another of my beach blocks - this time an umbrella and a quick fabric selection has me ready to move forward on this one too.


22nd -  Mister and I are walking to get coffee this morning.  I haven't had a touch of caffeine in weeks and we'll see how it goes.  When we arrive, I order a medium in a mug and they are out of medium mugs.  What???  Looking around in the shop, there is not a single person using a mug.  Crazy.  I tell them I'll just have a small then, but they opt to put my medium in a large mug AND make it a large for a medium price.  Oh my.  Now I'm pretty sure that will be a LOT of buzz.  We spend about an hour working a crossword and then make the walk home.  I am literally jittery and try typing but my hands are bouncing off the keys.  Lesson learned.  I'll just take it easy for a bit.

Wanting to keep moving on the UFQ Challenge, I focus on making the backing, binding, hanging sleeve, and label.  I selected a fabric for the binding and was actually sent more than a fat quarter of my original fabric.  I DID cut a fat quarter off so that I didn't use more than I could for the challenge but have a decent sized piece left to use in the backing. Mission complete and Oh WOW!!  Look at the total of fabric I have leftover including the binding fabric and all white I had cut.  Whew.

For the evening, we are out and about.  We started out buzzing and I guess we should end it that way too.  Hello Libertine - it's been awhile.  Grapefruit Cider?  Why, yes -- thank you very much.

 23rd -  It is a complete waste of a day.  My mouth hurts and I've decided to throw a massive pity party, laying in bed watching movies and playing games.  That is all until almost dark when I crawl out of my self-imposed depression and go for a walk.  Once again, nature doesn't disappoint and I'm slightly better upon my arrival back home.  Enjoy the sounds of the neighborhood cicadas.


24th -  Sooooo - I am trying not to fall back into the pit of yesterday.  It's not too hot out yet so I decided to go to the studio and start appliqueing parts onto the many blocks I have going.  The whale block is first and then some of my beach pillow blocks are added in along with the octopus block.  A good pace is held until I run out of thread colors and need to make a run to JoAnns for more.  While I'm at it, I might as well stop and get groceries as well.  New thread is ready to go tomorrow and I have a ton of threads to bury for evening handwork this week.


25th -  A morning dental appointment starts the ball rolling and we may have found another way to accomplish what I need done without breaking the bank.  My fingers are crossed and it will even make it so that I only have one more surgery instead of two.  On that high  note, it's back home and to the studio once more.  Finishing the beach pillow blocks, I am also halfway through the octopus before my back and shoulders ask me to stop.  I REALLY don't enjoy this part much and I think I tense up as a result.  Break time.  Back into the house to cut out and fuse the umbrella block.


My curiosity is peaked and I am wondering just how many blocks I still have to do for this quilt.  It turns out that there is only one more applique block plus my turtles.  The last two after that are paper-pieced blocks.  Well, my heck -- let's get these appliques behind me.  Within a couple of hours, I have the van block cut and fused too.  Both blocks need to be trimmed to size still, but they are ready to take out to the studio tomorrow morning.  Now to fuse the turtles and I'll be sooooo close.

26th - The internet is down this morning so my sweetheart has to go to the office and work.  That means I have the house all to myself for a day.  Without the computer to draw me in, I spend the entire morning cleaning house and doing laundry.  The bills are paid, plants watered outside, etc.  So, so productive.  Around noon, the internet was back and I lost an hour checking on everything, then another hour while talking with my daughter.  Hmmm --- now what?

That dang turtle block needs to be finished so that I can move on with my beach quilt.  Today is the day and the first step is to make the bias vines for it.  Once I have that cut, sewn, and pressed, I am ready to start putting the turtles and flowers together.

 I have to get pretty creative on this as I cut them out the wrong way and they are backwards from the pattern.  That means I have to turn the pattern over and then place the pressing sheet over that, meaning I just can't see the lines anymore.  It only holds me up for a minute while I retrieve the light pad and place it under the pattern and pressing sheet.  I still have issues as I have to constantly slide everything off the light pad in order to iron, but the job gets done.  I do like it even though it will be a bear to applique.  I am going to share what it is supposed to look like when finished so you can see just how far I have to go still ---- lots of embroidery to boot.  Here is mine:


And here is the shop's:  (YES, they are so much better than I and have used a turned-needle applique instead of raw edge.  So be it.)  See, going the wrong direction and I WILL have the floating leaf caught in the vine when I stitch it down, I promise.


27th -  It's out to the studio first thing.  I have high hopes of finishing another block of applique.  I get the grey complete on the van and start in on the second octopus when my daughter calls and after our conversation ends, I've decided I'm hot and not really in the mood to do this.  Bye-bye studio.  To the house I go.  I KNOW I need to continue on something, but man, I seem to be lacking motivation big time.  Finally, I just force myself to the machine and sew the Whimm's blocks together.  Whew --- okay, now let's keep going.


Since all the pieces are cut and ready to iron on, I simply head straight to it.  An hour and a half later --- I have both blocks as complete as they are going to be until I decide just how I'm handling these and that is several months away.  Check mark for me today!!  Yay.


I'm not really ready to call it a day yet, so I check out the last two beach blocks that need to be sewn,  print the papers for piecing, and select fabrics.  I am ready to sew them this weekend.  With that, I grab the appliqued blocks from the sofa and settle in to bury and tie threads.  Isn't this part just the worst?  Ugh.  My little stack is finished and so is my day --- Mister is finished working and it's Friday night --- Partay!!!

28th - After sleeping in, Mister and I are off for the bi-monthly grocery run for Mom.  For some reason, food for us never got figured into the timeline and, finally, around 3 we grab a very late lunch/early dinner at Cindi's and top everything off with yummy delights at Oak Highlands Brewery.  Saturdays are just plain awesome, right?  One little bright spot today -- the fabrics for A's quilt arrived and are oh so cute.

29th -  Well, good morning.  Sundays are so traditional for us and we are true to form today.  Walking to White Rock Coffee has been our modus operandi for several years now and why should today be any different.  As we approach the shop, a lonely lost chicken is taking up residency on the outdoor bench.  Somewhere, I'm sure there is a sad little person.


I'm giving Mister some breathing room today and find a bit of time to sew my beach pillow blocks together.  Forward progress of any type is good.  Hey, back me up on this one, okay?   After several hunting trips, I even get the inner and outer border fabrics selected.  There is hope of finishing this by the deadline.  Not today though --- onto sandwiching the dreaded UFQ project. 


For some reason, sleep is illusive tonight.  Why is that?  And why, oh why, does 6 hours in the middle of the night take so darn long to pass?  My brain is in full gear and it's simply because of an appointment again tomorrow ---- imagining the worst.  I am definitely good at this little trick.

30th - Finally, some sleep in the early morning hours, but then I'm awake by 8.  Drat.  I guess I just need to get up and go face the music.

Well, good and bad news.  My gums have healed enough to schedule the next surgery so that we can traumatize them again.  Doesn't that sound fun?  Two weeks and in I go and I only have to have 8K - 20K ready to spend depending on the number of implants.  ONLY!!  Ugh.  I run a little late getting out of the office and race to pick up Mister for his weekly appointment.  More stitches are removed but he has an area under his arm that is accumulating fluid so an aspiration takes place too.  We'll be back there next week to have that checked.  Such fun times.  My palette is really hurting tonight so medication is in order.  I have GOT to sleep.  Absolutely no progress made on anything picture worthy today.

31st -  The month is gone.  It's definitely been a challenging one for us and yet, here we are.  Stronger, I hope - and yet more humble as well.  It's easy to take oh so much for granted.  Simple things like cleaning oneself or chewing.  Take the time each day to realize just how lucky we all are --- the trials are absolutely there for us all, but the blessings are as well.  We both have so much ahead still -- healing and fixing - but it will all come together at some point.  Staying upbeat is a challenge and I'm sure there will still be pity party days.  I'm just hoping the number of them go down.

My room is a definite disaster zone.  I didn't have enough going on and then Pat Sloan went and started another sew along -- this one Christmas themed.  Should I or shouldn't I?  Apparently, my mind has made a decision I'm not aware of as I found myself out in the studio checking on fabrics.  Grrr.  I need another project like I need a hole in my head.  Perhaps I'll wait until tomorrow and see what the second block looks like.  Oooooh, I really like the first one though.  Decisions, decisions.

Okay --- I WANT to check something off my list today.  Into the bedroom I go, weaving my way back to a sewing machine and spend the next 2 hours quilting on the UFQ Challenge.  I've opted to do some simple walking foot work sans rulers.  Yep, not even marking the fabric.  This is complete and total blind faith.  I also think the consensus between Mister and I is to only quilt in the white areas.  The UFQ will simply stand out a bit and that's perfectly okay with me.  I think I like it.  How about you?


A quick trim and I am back at the machine just like that.  Binding label and sleeve  are attached and set aside for hand stitching tonight.  My last "please do" for today is getting A's quilt cut from the new fabrics.  Yes --- one hour and done.

It's time to settle in for the evening and another week of America's Got Talent.  I admit it -- I'm a Simon Cowell fan and there are some contestants that I really like.  While watching, the binding is completed and the label and sleeve are sewn down.  This one is in the DONE column and I could not be happier.  I think I met the criteria and at least I followed through on a commitment.  TA-DA.  (It's crazy funny how the light is picking up on the stitching in this photo -- it really does go everywhere.)


Tonight's drink is a Blue Lagoon.  We are one again trying new cocktails in the evening.  Gotta say -- pretty dang good.

As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Personal Goals:

REPLY TO COMMENTS:  This is a big one for me.  I want to stay on top of it and will work very hard to do so.  It may not happen the day of the comment, but I will be fairly current.

UFO for this month:

Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound
Garden Party - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Beach Pillow worked on -  Appliqued and threads buried, all pieced together
Texas Tumbleweeds - quilted and bound -
UFQ Challenge block worked on - DONE
Ava Quilt - design, order fabrics, -  DONE, fabrics delivered and cut

UFO Monthly Items:

2 BOM - Whimm's - DONE
1 Beach block - Whale Done, Octopus, Surfin' Van, Umbrella, and Turtles worked on
Red/White quilt - four blocks sewn - DONE

Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set - on hold til Mister's hand is better
Red/White quilt - one embroidery block finished - DONE
Halloween Pillows finished -DONE

Links to Previous 2018 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2018
February 2018
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018
June 2018

4 comments:

  1. I admire your commitment to your goals. And so love how you and your Mister are so very much in love and devoted to one another and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. It does make things a wee bit easier in life.

      Delete
  2. Very much enjoyed reading your blog, and I am going to sign up for an email notification for new blog posts. Hope you are doing well, and feeling better each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome. So glad to have you in our blog world. I am doing better and am thankful for all who have sent their thoughts my way. Onward and upward.

      Delete