Friday, August 10, 2018

Quilt Plano - Eye Candy Time

Nervous.  Yep, that's me.  I have managed to agree to attend a breakfast (what am I thinking as I can't eat?) with friends and then time at the quilt show where people will see me.  I'm so very self-conscious still and until this whole mouth experience is behind me in November/December -- well, let's just say I know how silly I look.  AND OLD.  So very old.  Mirrors and cameras don't lie.  At any rate, I am going to follow through on this commitment and away I go.  Breakfast is at Poor Richard's Cafe in Plano and soon we are seated and enjoying some catching up.  It's so great to see people again and I know just how much I have missed the sociality of being together.  We take our time and enjoy a couple of hours together before separating and departing for the quilt show.



Entering the show, there is a display in the ticket room and I spot a couple of pieces from Janet P.  I haven't seen her in quite awhile and miss her wonderful intelligence and wit.  Still, seeing her work makes me happy too.

Next are the mini quilts in the hallway .  I take a bit of time and find that two of them are just what makes my heart happy.  The first one is by Linda Neal and I just love this so much.  I think I'm in kind of an embroidery stage right now and that makes it even more fun.


The second one plays into my other love right now.  Christmas.  Honest.  I just counted the other day and discovered that I am in the middle of 5 Christmas quilts.  FIVE!!!  This one is by Jeanne Smith and I am in love.  So, so cute.


I am on my own for the show and only have two items on my purchase list.  I need a new needle threader for my tool and a "boy" themed charm pack for a quick car quilt to keep my grandson happy.  Once I have both items safely in my tote, it's onto the quilts.  Please come along and use my eyes to peek at a few.  As always, I take pictures of the quilts that appeal to me and then am pleasantly surprised if they are ribbon winners as well

First up is entitled Crazy 39 Pcs In 5" by Linda Cordell of McKinney, TX.  Quilted by Julia Mason, Linda says that it is from a "block exchange by 19th Century Patchwork Divas."  I LOVE it.


 Christmas again.  See ---I'm already wondering if I have the time to do this.  Crazy redhead.  When I first spot this, my friend Stephanie comes to mind.  She cross stitches all the time and is also a quilter.  I can definitely see her doing this.  It is called "Keepsake Santas" and is by Margaret Cotten of Tyler, TX and quilted by Jackie Ruffing.  Margaret writes, "Loved these cross stitch Santas.  So I put them all in a quilt."  Well, I love it too and my mind is already churning away.


 As I round the corner, the Best of Show comes into view.  It is a beautiful appliqued work and I am stopped in my tracks.  I have come half circle on the whole applique thing.  Having tried my very first needle turned attempt at it on a single little piece of a block, I still believe that I do not have enough years left to tackle one of these, but I do stand in awe.  "My Brown Bird" is entered by Jennifer Carter of Richardson, TX and quilted by Deb Wendt.  Jennifer states, "This is a multi-year journey through a variety of hand applique techniques - back basting, off block, broderie perse, scherenschnitte, reverse.  Pieces were stuffed, braided and  woven, topped with embroidery embellishments."  Wow.

 
 Turtle Tales catches my attention, of course.  Someday I will do a turtle quilt.  I think.  I  hope.  Well, I want to.  This one is by Becci Dusenberry of Plano, TX and quilted by Melissa Eubanks.  Becci says, "My love of Aboriginal fabric and sea turtles combined."  I agree.


Hello Timberline - pieced and quilted by Lynne Fritsche of Plano, TX.  She says, "This project took a long time to piece and a long time to quilt on my home machine, but I'm very  happy with it."  She should be.  It's a definite stop me in my tracks quilt.


 So, if I'm being honest, I am not really a cathedral window quilt fan.  However, the use of color in this one really made me stop and take a closer look.  It's wonderful.  Truly.  Entitled Flower Garden, it is by Lori Hecker of Dallas, TX and she writes, "I used dupioni silk in the 'Windows.'  And although it's not typical in a cathedral window quilt, I custom cut pieces of batting for each window."


 Stars are another love of mine.  Stars in stars make it even better and various sizes top it all.  This is called Malaysia Stars and it fits everything I adore.  It is by M. J. Fielek of McKinney, TX and the quilter is Lynne Haley.  MJ says, "My grandson spent 3 months in Malaysia.  He bought the batiks there."  There is even more to this quilt as the stands were not high enough to hold it's entirety.


More stars.  Yep, I'm a happy girl right now.  I also love medallion quilts so this one is perfect.  For some reason, I find that it would have been amazing round robin and would have loved to have found this in my mailbox at the end of the rounds.  Named Starfire, it is by Debbie Jeffers of Seminole, OK and quilted by Debbie Newell.  Rock on Debbies!  "I saw this quilt on Facebook and fell in love.  Just had to make it," writes Debbie J.


Pride and Joy is by Penny Treaster of McKinney, TX and quilted by Karen Wood.  I love the color play and illusion of the medallion growing as the quilt does.  Penny says, "Kim Diehl Simple Whatnots Club - Collection 7 at Happiness is Quilting, McKinney, TX.  This quilt was a part of a 6-month sew along that I enjoyed making and absolutely love the results."


I run into a couple of friends while checking this one out.  The simplicity of it is perfect and I really want to try one of these.  When I say simplicity, I don't mean that making this is simple, just that each rectangle stands on it's own merit.  I really do like it a lot and have put one on my lengthy list.  It is entitled "Illusion" by Sheila Relyea of Allen, TX and she says, "The bright colors really pop out against the grey, giving a 3-D illusion effect."


This yellow is so, so, so fun.  It's bright, cheeriness just draws me in.  Entitled "Near and Far", it is by Floyd Moss of Sulphur Springs, TX and quilted by Wilma Moss.  It is an original design using 6 values of yellow. 


Ahhh, a Bonnie Hunter Garden Party is around the next corner.  Of course, it is the ONE picture that I wiggle and blur.  Ugh.  Aptly titled, "Garden Pary", it is by Sandie Griego of Allen, TX and she says, "I love scrap quilts and made this one by Bonnie Hunter as a mystery quilt with two friends, taking the challenge with me."  Hmmmm, I wonder if we were in that same mystery class.  Mine is still awaiting quilting.


A few modern quilts DO pull me in.  Here is a case in point.  I truly like everything about this quilt.  The palette, the straight lines, the pattern, it's got it all for me.  It is called "Spring Thaw" and is by Joanne Moon of Carrollton, TX and she simply says, "Pretty blue and green colors that remind  me of spring."  Me too.


 Oooooh.  Wow.  Not only am I bowing down because of the hand quilting, but just the beauty of this along with the pieced back and the colors used.  It's perfect to me.  "Flower Wreaths on Garden Lattice" is by Gloria Fox of Flower Mound, TX and she writes, "This quilt took me 12 years to complete.  Many other sewing endeavors and a demanding job competed for my attention.  I love hand work."  If, like me, this pattern interests you, it is called Flowers All a Bloomin' by Bee Creative Studio.


 "Split Decisions" by Candy Mahaffey of Frisco, TX is so, so, amazing.  The quilting by Richard Larson is just what I would have wanted as well.  What a great package.  Candy writes, "I discovered this pattern when looking for a quilt that would use my 10" Grunge squares.  I fell in love with it."


 The colors in this next one is what grabs my attention.  It is so bright and vivid, making me want to take a second look.  That IS the intent of an art quilt right?  To make us look again and perhaps a little closer.  "La Dolce Vita" does this exactly as planned.  Made by Margaret Reed and quilted by Richard Larson, it really does make one want to be in Italy.  Margaret writes, "I've been in love with art quilts (and Italy) for many years but I never attempted one.  I saw this and fell head over heels and just had to try it."


 The last one for today and it's a beauty.  Blue and white quilts just have a feel all their own.  Toss in circles and they blow my mind.  "Something Blue is by Barbara Young of Rockwall, TX and she says, "I found this pattern while we were on vacation in Florida and really like the way the various blues created the design."  It was quilted by Deb Wendt and I wished for an angel nearby so that I could see the back.  Alas, not to be found.  It's time for me to head out -- going to join Sherri and help her find a dress for her son's wedding.  The day continues.  I hope you enjoyed the bit of eye candy if you were not able to attend the show.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your pictures ~ thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and you are most welcome. It's fun to get inspired this way, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. That certainly was a gorgeous lot of eye candy. Thanks for going and sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share -- we all gain from a burst of eye candy.

      Delete