Monday, May 7, 2018

May Cinco de Mayo Retreat

May has arrived and with it are mixed emotions.  It means 10 days of retreat but it also means the end of retreats here until October.  That is such a long time.  I want to soak it all in and yet I'm really not feeling up to snuff this go round.  I will make the best of it and enjoy as much as I can.  Life is just too short not to savor these precious moments.

3rd - As I drive into the Brazos House property, off to the left I spot Fatsy having a nap.  Apparently she really is a free range pig these days.  In my room, a curtain hook has jumped off the wall.  Hmmm - is this an omen of what is to come?

I am the first one to arrive, followed shortly after by Debi and then Val.




By the time the retreat is set to begin, everything is in place and quilters are due to arrive, thunderstorms break loose and we are in a downpour.

I'm pretty sure that it slows everyone down a bit as many arrive much later than usual.  A couple pull into the parking lot during the storm and have to wait a bit in their cars, then run for the house -- getting soaked in the process.  There is a lot of water coming down and it takes me back to a couple of previous May weekends in which the river rose like crazy.

By the time it stops --- puddles of water are everywhere and we are out of power.  Okay -- how about some sun now?


A peek out the front door shows a newborn goat on the back of a truck.  Why?  I have no idea but there it is with the umbilical cord still hanging down.

Debi and Val can't stand it and must investigate.  I'll just watch from the porch -- and let them get the up close pictures.


While I do the long shots.


I've moved over to my old corner of the room to work on name tags as it is just too dark anywhere else.  It's such a great start to this retreat.  Perhaps that omen really is at work.


The funny thing about being without power --- people sit and visit more.  It is crazy quiet without the hum of a/c, machines, lights, ice machines, etc.



For those who have to work, the loss of internet is just so much fun.

The power comes on right before we head to Babes for lunch.  Woohoo.  Now, it will still be fairly quiet in the house and perhaps Deb and Val can get a little work done.

We have a couple of Babe's newbies this go round and that always makes it even more fun.


By the time we return, Maria is well into the layout of a quilt.  Oh my.

Stephannie has also set up the selfie booth and it is ready for some fun moments.

The day has turned out decent and I'm ready to walk off some of that lunch.  Let's go check out the river and make sure we are still going to be able to have fun exploring it this week.




Good friends and good times.  I REALLY like this picture.


For the evening fun, I am treated to a beautiful birthday cake.  Isn't this divine?  I think it is the coolest cake I have ever had.  Truth.

60 is not so bad, right?


After dinner and dessert, it's Bingo time.  Debi is organizing her prizes and making preparations.

Y'all know it is required to catch her on the floor at least once each retreat, right?  Things just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

We even have our first TA-DA by Mindy.

Nifty-Thrifty ready to quilt.


I am long in bed by the time the others give it up.  Good night ladies.


4th - Happy birthday to me!  Yep.  The BIG 60 is officially today along with Star Wars Day.  May the fourth be with you.  We are also celebrating Cinco de Mayo this weekend and since I'm leaving tomorrow, all the festivities are today.

Hats are starting to make an appearance along with smiles by those of us being treated to the visions.

It appears that some behind the caller cheating is taking place with Bingo.  If they win, I think there will be possible litigation taking place.  It won't be the first time we've had a legal case at retreat.  (Psst, they got up to 6 cards and still didn't win.)


Paula with a TA-DA


Maria's TA-DA


Another walk around the yard for me --- it's just easier to keep moving right now.

I have to admit that these baby goats are just so stinking cute.  They are fun to watch and when I get out to the pasture, I notice that there are two sets of twins.  Oh my -- FOUR little sweethearts to keep our eyes on.  Dang, we'll miss them growing as we won't be back until October.


I'm teaching a class on photo frame tool kits.  Teaching is the operative word here as I've never made one, but I think perhaps have figured out the instructions.  A few are completed quick so I feel fairly vindicated -- either that or THEY figured out the instructions.

I'm not sure if I got pics of them all, but I did try.



Tracey with a TA-DA


Val's TA-DA


River time for Debi and Maria and BOB????  Oh these ladies.

They just can't stand it if they don't put their feet in the river daily.  Where was I during this?  Oh -- probably teaching the photo frames.

I am leaving early in the morning so the group picture is tonight before dinner.  Even still, we are missing LaDonna.  Drat it anyway.  The rest of these amazing women are as follows:  Back row - Debi, Gwen, Rocky, Mindy, Darlene, Maria, Val, Frieda, and yours truly.  Front row - Lydia, Tracey, Stephannie, Linda, Ramona, Paula, and Shirley.  All very loved by me and I am so thankful to have them in my life.


Our newbies to Brazos are Linda and Ramona --- however they are beach friends of ours.  Its so fun to have them here this year.

As we return to the main room, a crazy massage train is in process. Beep, beep -- can I get through?

After dinner, it is time to get the party started.  What do you think the attendees have come up with this month?





A couple of pins to award tonight --- Gwen is Sapphire --- Woot Woot.


And Maria, come on down.


She is Pearl.  Congratulations and WOOHOO!!


Tonight's winners are Darlene, with the fat quarters


Rocky and Debi with the Jelly Rolls.


I fly tomorrow morning bright and early out of DFW so am once again off to bed early and leave the shenanigans to the others.  Fun times appear to have been had by all.



5th/6th --- I am off to Utah and will not return until Monday.  I've left Debi and Val in charge and as a result, I don't really have any stories to tell and will just share the pictures they sent me.  Check out the sunrise I am able to watch and look at the low lying fog making the whole trip kind of surreal.

Rocky is working on a One Block Wonder that is simply scrumptious.

Tracey has a Fat Quarter Bag Ta-DA


Stephannie TA-DA


Selfie Fun.


LaDonna TA-DA


Shirley - Val's Exploding Pineapple Class TA-DA


And all three students.


Debi and Maria made another trip to the river.  With Bob.



Since LaDonna was not present last night, she didn't receive her Ruby pin.  Congratulations LaDonna and welcome to the world of Ruby Sisters.  Surprise!!


Love these smiling faces.


And that's it.  Thank you all for making it through on a crazy, conflict ridden, pain enhanced weekend for me.  I appreciate it and promise to do better next year.  Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment