Sunday, May 13, 2018

May I Remember When Brazos Retreat

10th - And we are off.  Welcome to the new ladies.  At least  you have power.  Be thankful for the small things in life.

I even managed to clean my corner of the world before this starts.  I know -- shock, shock to everyone. The truth is, I haven't really done enough to create too big of a mess.

We have a group project starting tomorrow requiring a LOT of cutting today.  I feel for those girls and am so glad I finished mine at home.  Yes, we were supposed to make these during tweener time, but it just didn't happen.  Tomorrow is the day.   And, of course, Bingo is already off and running.




Scenes from the room - sometimes I think this end of the room gets shortchanged.  I need to work on that more.




Out the front door as I'm heading out on a walk.  Hello Fatsy.

Frieda is along with me and it is gorgeous out.  The light is amazing and I can't help but grab pictures that I am now forcing you to look at.  So sorry - not really.  A little slice of heaven is good for the eyes.


Yes, the sun is in our eyes, but we wanted the river behind us.  You should have seen the second picture -- hahahaha


After dinner --- Debi has set up a campfire in the new pit and we are going to have a S'Mores feast.  Maria made homemade marshmallows during Tweener Time and I will even indulge just a wee bit.

Great picture of the fire, Debi.  Mine was not near that.



On your mark, get set, roast.  Don't the faces say it all?





Seems like I'm always talking or telling someone what to do.  Put that finger down, girl.



Bingo prizes --- all about gardening.  Lucky Ramona.


Paula's TA-DA Exploding Pineapple Table Runner from Val's class.


Jen arrives in the evening and now I have TWO beautiful floral pretties for my table.  Awww.

But, once again.  I am tired and can't hang with the gals.

Some manage --- I think --- if they are all sleepwalking or sleep selfie-taking, that is quite the talent.

11th - With our theme being I Remember When/You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby, Jen has really taken it to another level.  She has turned her room into a nursery.  You think I'm kidding?


Working and visiting and perhaps a little commiserating too.


It's breakfast in the house.  For us, that means fend for yourself OR enjoy the lovely continental breakfast that our hostess provided.  We are treated so nice here.

As I take my yogurt out to the porch to listen to the birds while I eat, I notice a cowboy hat nailed to a tree.  Has this always been here?  If so, my observational skills are certainly lacking.


Okay --- it's time to get this group project going.  There are four of us determined to make the Professional Tote.  Val actually started this, but is just not up to it this week.  She'll have another chance, another day.  It's a teach as I go moment.  I'm going to try and stay one step ahead of everyone else and help them along the way.  Keep your fingers crossed that I can do just that.  It's around 11:00 and we are started and moving forward.


After lunch, my second class kicks into gear and I'm teaching the photo frame tool kits at the same time.  Oh yeah --- multi-tasking away here.



Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Val has strung all the baby pictures we each brought with a number attached and no identifying writing.  The challenge is on to find out how many we can guess correctly and some are taking a LOT of time determining this.  I am sure I will just quickly write some names down.  I'll get mine and Jen's correct and that could be all.  Well, maybe Rocky's.


Some photo frame tool totes are being finished.  Yay!!!  I'm loving them so much.  Maybe I should make one.


The day is just zooming by as we crazily work on our totes.  I am really in a zone and not totally aware of anything going on around here.  In fact, if someone yelled FIRE, I'm not sure I'd know why everyone was gone.  The afternoon disappears, it's dinner time and game night.  Whew -- a break from the totes.  I'm ready for it.

Oh, the costumes are wonderful.  It's so heartwarming when others play along.



Jen was unable to attend last February due to kids with the flu.  It was our Black and White dinner where we honored the diamonds so tonight is her chance to receive her new tiara.  I'm not sure it has the same impact dressed as babies, but we do what we do.


Now, onto the games and the first winner is Maria for the fat quarters.


The first jelly roll goes to Ramona - am I the only one who notices that she has sent Gilley's tiara flying?



And she is followed by Paula with the second one.  I'd like to end this with, "And fun was had by all."


When we return to the room, Val has the awards for the photo contest.  The person who got the most right is Frieda!!!  A layer cake to her.

There is a three way tie for those who fooled the most.  Each one only received one vote --- obviously their own.  Dang, great job ladies.  Congrats to Maria, Gilley and Susan - jelly rolls all around.


Lydia with another TA-DA --- I can't wait to see what she turns all these finished blocks into.  Yes, they are quilted already.


Maria with an amazing TA-DA.  This is called Gentleman's Agreement and several of the ladies are currently working on it.  She worked out the kinks for everyone.


We go back to work on our bags until almost 2 in the morning.  I am soooo tired and call it a night (to nods of agreement from Debi, Paula, and Rocky - I think I've been grumpy), even though I am only about 1/2 an hour from being finished.  Last ladies standing -- now ya'll get to bed, ya hear?


12th - Good morning!  Rocky and Maria have to leave this morning so I get up as early as my eyeballs will allow.  Quickly finishing my bag, I am ready to take them through to the end before she has to go.

Carri starts the day with the TA-DA she finished last night (or early this morning depending on how one looks at it) after the rest of us went to bed.


Val has an necessary ingredient for a project Lydia is working on.  Her payment is three hugs and they count as they go.


A Show and Share from Gilley.  I remember her working on this last year at the beach.


The bags are complete.  Woohoo.  Oh my goodness.  What a project.  Twelve hours yesterday and another 2 today without counting the cutting time the day before.  Treasure these ladies.


I never got a TA-DA of Debi with her rain cape - so here we go


Now, to tackle the project bag I saw Frieda with yesterday.  I had her pick up some vinyl when she went into town and I have begged a fat quarter from last nights game off the winner.  Oh wow, these go together quick and slick.  I see several more in my future.

In fact, as soon as I finish this one, I think, "Hmmmm. What if we could make one to go inside the tote?"

Sure enough, a few measurements later, I have one ready to go and have cut them for Debi, Paula, and Rocky as well.  Since Rocky had to leave, I will make her one too.  Now, my bag WITH the cosmetic pouch -- TA-DA.

Picture time.  Such a great group of women who are putting up with crabby me.  I will be so glad when the next few months are over and I'm not in pain anymore.  They are such amazing people to still hang around me.  Back row:  Samantha, Kim, Lydia, Frieda, Gwen, Carri, Ana, Rocky, and Paula.  Middle row:  Susan, Maria, yours truly, Jennifer, Debi K. (in front of Jen), and Val.  Front row:  Ramona, Gilley, and Linda.


And our newbies this go round.  Left to right Gilley (new to Brazos but attended the beach), Carri, and Kim.  We are thrilled to have all three of you join in our merry little band and hope to see you again in the future.

Jen with a TA-DA -- she bound this wonderful fleece with silky blanket binding.  It just hugs her and looks crazy comfy.

Ana with a TA-DA


Paula with a pouch TA-DA and I spot another Exploding Pineapple Table Runner TA-DA by Susan on the design wall.


Val's TA-DA - super cute baby top.


Gwen with a TA-DA


and a 2nd one.


Gilley with her Texas Tumbleweeds TA-DA.  This was our Quilt-A-Long earlier this year.


Debi K. with her Texas Tumbleweeds TA-DA too.  What a difference a few colors can make.


Gilley with another TA-DA.


I see Garlic Knots being worked on.  Maria had a Garlic Knots TA-DA earlier in the week and mine are still in the box.  Kind of like my beach blocks.  Oh I am setting such a great example.

Jen with her TA-DA.  I really like the soft colors in this one -- calms me.

The clock is telling us that time has arrived for the trip to the river.  Actually, we are a little late but the un won't be blasting us quite so much.  Let's go.

As we start down the path that I've gone down several times this week, I spot this wood pile.  AGAIN - where have my powers of observation been?  This looks cool though.


The sun IS over the mountain and we have a lovely evening.


The water is warm and soothing to tired feet that have been standing for days.



Get in the water you two.


My partner in crime


And my lovely daughter who took time from her busy life to spend Mother's Day weekend with me.


The evening river crew


So peaceful.


Okay, time to hike back up.




A quick stop at the overlook to see how the platform is going.  It'll be ready for us to use in October and we are super excited.


Peeking at the goats is the last order of business.  Looks like the parents are back.



Val's TA-DA


It is a QUIET house tonight.  Five departed today and that is a bit sad and also highly unusual but for some reason, this Mother's Day weekend had so many things scheduled on it.  Crazy.  Even I am packed up and ready to go.  I have broke down as much of the room as I can too.  My nephew is graduating tomorrow and I will be on the road before the sun comes up, leaving the breakdown in Val and Debi's capable hands.  So on that note, it's our last picture of retreat.  Some will stay up, but I am off to bed.  What a great 10 days even though mine were chopped up a bit.  (more below)


13th -  I am watching the sun start to rise as I leave.  I'll miss you Brazos -- it's a long time until October.  (keep reading)


Debi and Val send me pictures of the clean room they are leaving behind and their smiling faces as well.  I owe you two big time for all you did between the two retreats.  Hopefully, I won't have this situation again.

It's always so sad to see Brazos in the rear view mirror.  Til, the fall.  (now you can stop)

No comments:

Post a Comment