Sunday, February 11, 2018

Brazos House Retreat - Black and White/A Black Tie Affair

It's time for round two of our February double header.  I've been looking so forward to this retreat and tried super hard to have all diamonds here, but it just didn't work the way I wanted it to.  It will give a reason to spotlight the last two throughout the year and that will make for fun times.  At any rate, bring on group 2.

This weekend, our startup lunch is at Hammond's BBQ in Glen Rose.  When we arrive, we have two tables but as soon as we can -- the move is made to one.  We all want to be together ya know.  Yep, I'm taking the picture.




Stephannie met up with us at the restaurant, which had great food by the way, and as soon as she arrives at the house, her Selfie Station is up and running.  No, I don't have a picture of just the backdrop, but I promise you will see it in this post.  More than you probably want to.

Paula arrives and is one focused girl.  She wants her golden scissors this weekend and a table runner and four placemats are the goal.  I LOVE her vision and can't wait to see how it all turns out.

The room fills up and Val gets everyone prepped on the Fat Quarter Bags if they wish to make on.  Come on ladies -- let's have another great bag lady picture.


Bingo is underway too and there are some really great prizes this week.

The swap table is a big hit, as always.  I even find a true treasure buried deep in a box.  A lovely little pair of Gingher scissors.  However, I can't go without checking to make sure it isn't a mistake.  Woohoo -- it isn't and home they go for a good cleaning.

Debi has her heart centerpieces TA-DA -- she made one of each size.  You go girl.


Maria has been making a ton of little tiny black/white units and wants to see if they will extend as far as Sherri's did last fall.  Off they go for the challenge.  I start taking pictures but you know what?  It's dang cold out there.  I'll let someone else record it.  I do watch from the window for awhile but untangling is taking a definite bite in my attention span.  The word when they came back in is that Sherri is still the champion.  I sense a rematch in the making.

I WISH I could remember what was happening here.


Fawn TA-DA -- love the jars.


Jennifer TA-DA --- I watched this one and the fabrics are not what they appear.  So cool.


Val is getting a start on her "Ugly Lion Cape" for Stan.  I think she's meeting the criteria and know that she isn't even close to finished.


Ah yes, the retreat committee has found the selfie station.  See, I told you so.  I have tried to keep these to a minimum.  (Honest, I think we took about 30 while there.)



And then, to keep us happy and in charge -- little bottle shots.

At this point, I looked at my little chicken that Ana has gifted and for some reason, it is pooping life savers.  I knew the "ladies" around me were up to something but could never catch them at it.  Lo and behold - witness their creativity.  I don't think they have enough to do.

Jennifer with a TA-DA  Aren't the little pinwheels just so cool?


Sherri has a TA-DA too.  This one is pretty special as is holds memories for Sherri.  She has been matching fabrics to a quilt started by her grandmother.  Ahh, my heart.


Paula with her heart centerpiece TA-DA and good night from us gals.  This day is done.

9th - Day two is already here and even though I slept in, the room is still pretty quiet when I enter.  Hey ya'll, let's get this party started.

Glenda has been working on this sweet 30's top and starts the day with a TA-DA.


Judy  follows up with her owl top TA-DA.  These are all fabrics that Fawn won a couple of November's ago -- hey, I recognize several that I donated to the cause.


Some mini-class TA-DA's -- Ana with her bag and Glenda's table runner.


I need to take a break from sewing and work on tonight's festivities.  First things first -- the little mini-cheesecakes need to be made for tonight's dessert.  I have the most amazing mess going on when Kay arrives with the dishes for tonight.  Once the treats are in the refrigerator, I get started decorating the dining room.  It's a Black Tie Affair tonight.


Some shots of the room.  Val has put little black bags at each setting, holding their napkin and a new fat quarter.  Kay's silver is shining and making everything so festive.


Pre-wine glasses.


We have moved the selfie backdrop to the dining room and are ready for our ceremony tonight.


And -- the girls are getting ready.  It's like a giant slumber party taking us back to prom days.  So, so fun.  Paula puts on Gwen's hair for a new look while others are putting on the glitz.


I am dressed in a beautiful gown gifted by Val.  Even the back is sexy.


Pictures are first and there are many.  The dorm girls


Impromptu gathering.


Hold on everyone --- Sherri has a TA-DA before we can continue.  Lookie what she did with her borders on Midnight Flight.  I likey.


Now back to the evening.  We are all dressed and ready to start the ceremony part.  First up:  Sherri is SAPPHIRE and thus must be crowned.



Next, I have decided to present the diamonds with new tiara's.  They are all gold with diamonds and I want them to know how very much they mean to me.  They are the backbone of all that happens here.  It's time to recognize them as well.  Okay ladies -- are you ready?


Taira's down


And a huge TA-DA ---


And all of my lovely ladies together:  Back row - Yours truly, Paula, Betsy, Ana, Gwen, Maria, Lydia, Judy, Val, Rocky, Sherri  Front row - Shirley, Jennifer, Jennifer, Glenda, Fawn, Stephannie, Debi.  Such beautiful women -- INSIDE and out.



Diamonds in all their glory.


And now for my pictures --- just be patient.  Please remember that this is my blog and I want to remember my time with these ladies.  Enjoy and I'll be back further down.








Stan arrives to help with dinner.  He looks so wonderful and we are truly being treated like queens tonight.  They are plating and serving for our special night.  Debi grabs him for a quick picture.


Right before dinner, Val presents Stan with his "ugly cape."  She has truly outdone herself and I think he is shocked and yet loves it all at the same time.



Our hosts busy at work.  Love them oh so much.  Stan and Kay are a huge part of why this place is so special to us.


And it's dinner time.




We have a couple of door prizes to give away tonight.  First up is a mini jelly roll and it goes to Jennifer S.  Second is another chicken pin cushion made by Ana and Jennifer M. takes it home, and last is another mini jelly roll which Rocky will happily put to use.  Congrats to all.


And our lovely hosts right before we sent them home.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  You both made this night truly magical for us.


Now to revamp the room, bring out the Black and White Russians and get ready for game night.



Some outfits have been changed --- dramatically.


Before the game starts, we have a TA-DA from Jennifer -- a friendship beach quilt.  I really need to get mine finished too.  Looks so good.


Cheers Ya'll ---


I can't leave these pictures out.  Oh Sherri.  I do so love being around you.


Game winners tonight are Stephannie for the fat quarters, Gwen for a kit from Houston, and Glenda for another kit from Houston.


And the night comes to an end.  I don't want to take the last decorations down.  It's just so lovely.  However, I am totally done in.  There is not an ounce left in me.  Night all -- see ya tomorrow.  I'll let the ladies say good night themselves.

10th - As I enter the room this morning -- the first thing I spot are dachshunds on the wall.  Jennifer is working on them and I have to admit -- dang these are cute.


Val gets the fidget blankets going again and Betsy has brought one to share.


She has been waiting all weekend to show this to Val and it is super cute.  What fun.

We will be doing fidget blankets all year and I hope that everyone will work on at least a couple to donate.  More would be amazing but we have about 80 women who retreat throughout the year --- 150 of these would be just incredible to those in need.

They must have called lunch.


After food, in the library -- the starch bar is open AND apparently someone is napping amidst the Featherweights that are for sale.  Aren't they beauties?

I wish, I wish, I wish I could take them all home with me.  One was sold here and they are all available.  If you are interested, I can put you in touch with who is selling them.



Betsy is working on this amazing top.  I am in awe and she is waaaay out of my comfort zone with her mitered, pieced corners.


Rocky with another Slash and Dash TA-DA


And . . . . .my problem child has been busy.


Glenda has a Show and Share of her On Ringo Lake quilt -- almost bound.  Oh I am so jealous.  I am going home to quilt mine.  I am, I am.


I have a Stroller Organizer TA-DA


Shirley TA-DA --- I wish the borders showed better in this photo.  They are just so cool.


More Bag TA-DA's by Stephannie, Sherri, and Rocky


Shirley with her heart centerpiece TA-DA


And more bag TA-DA's by Maria and Lydia along with a zippered pouch (using a zipper she didn't like) by Sherri.


Woot - woot!!!  Paula has completed her Golden Scissors project.  Aren't they just so fun.  She has been so focused --- Congratulations Paula.


And she is followed by Judy who went ahead and completed her owl quilt, thus earning her Golden Scissors too --- on her first time here with us.  Way to go girl.


This picture is staying just so I can laugh and laugh and laugh each time I see it.  What happens at retreat, sometimes stays at retreat.


And our last bag TA-DA by Shirley


This week's bag ladies picture.  I am so pleased by how many participated in this project.  Those who didn't will be very jealous of our great big bags as we carry all our projects in for the next retreat.


Stephannie with a blanket TA-DA


And Maria with the final TA-DA of the night.  I LOVE the blue so very much.


It's our last night picture.  Good night from Brazos.  It's been 10 amazing days with incredible women.  My cup has definitely been filled and I 'm ready to see my sweet Mister again.  (No, the entry is not finished yet.)


11th -- Day eleven and we are heading home.  There's just one little problem.  We are iced in.  Truly.  Look at my poor little car.  The ice is thick on her.

Debi tried to leave and found that to be a bad idea, took some pictures and returned to the house.

Here is what she found on 67.  Yep, we're staying put for awhile.

That means time for a FREEZING, outside picture -- of course.


Once the sun comes out, we get the go ahead to leave and people are one their way home.  We break down the room before hugs and "see ya soons" along with perhaps a tear or two take place.  I can't wait to see them again.  Honest.  Brazos Out.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a great time. Quilters are just wonderful people to be around -- it makes my job easy.

      Delete
  2. You all look like this was an amazing retreat. I can't believe how wonderful to be able to be on a 10 day retreat with such great ladies. What a fun time and I enjoyed reading every last word and seeing each picture even though I don't know any of you!! You had some great projects finished too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We did indeed have a great time. The retreat itself doesn't last 10 days as it encompasses two separate groups each weekend. There are three of us who stay the entire time, though, and that is indeed wonderful. So glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete