Sunday, February 4, 2018

Brazos House Retreat - For the Love of Quilting

It's RETREAT TIME!!!!!  November was a long time ago and I'm so ready for time with the ladies.  My new car is packed to the brim and ready to roll.  It's the first time I'll have a car at retreat when there for 10 days and I'm pretty excited about it.  Not that I go anywhere while there, but still.

It's still dark as I leave the city and I have the moon in front of me and the sun rising behind me.  What a fun sight.  As I just get out of Dallas, Stephanie calls to let me know she is at the house.  WOW.  Well, girlfriend, I'm about an hour out still.  See ya then.  (Yes, I invited her to come early and help me set up --- No, she didn't just arrive at the crack of dawn without permission.)




Upon my arrival, I am pleasantly surprised to find that she has set up over 75% of the "stuff".  What a gal pal she truly is.  I am able to focus on setting up my own spaces and settling in before the others arrive.  Nifty Thrifty #1 is on the bed this week.  Perfect.


Almost everyone has arrived by lunch time and we are off to Babe's for the annual chicken trek.  Half are interested and half stayed at the house.  I just can't turn down this opportunity -- my leftovers will help during the week.


Okay, let's get this retreat officially started.  Sew, sew, sew.


I love the way people help one another.  Mindy is on a mission to earn her Golden Scissors and lots of help in design is coming her way from Susan and Lana.


Sharing spaces and getting things done.  Isn't that what it's all about?


And our first TA-DA by Maria


Tracey is teaching a Laura Heine class and the girls in the library are just having too much fun mess making.


Swap table is ready.


Keeping tradition alive -- Debi on the floor.  Funny part is that we were both on the floor earlier and I wanted to take a picture of us.  That is when we discovered that the internet was out.  Panic ensued until we managed to get it back up again.  Now, she is once again in her bucket of fabric.

And the library mess just keeps growing and growing.  A rooster and flamingo are starting to take shape and it truly is wonderful to watch.

A second TA-DA by Maria -- you go girl.

Up close on Eveline's rooster and Meri's flamingo.


It's getting late and Maria has another TA-DA for us --- WOW.


I have managed to get my baby quilt to this point and am now making binding as the leader/ender when I discover that this has happened.  I've sewn a large loop.  That means it's time to call it a night.  (Yes, it looks light out -- I took this picture first thing the next morning).  Come on ya'll --- final picture of the night.  Stick a fork in me, I'm done.


Day 2 - Good morning.  First thing there is a fabric feeding frenzy in the kitchen with the ladies who are working on the collage quilts.  Much laughter and fun as they trade and barter for the pieces they think are perfect.

I have finished my top so TA-DA


What happens at retreat stays at retreat?  Well, not always.  The first picture involves squeezing "boobs" and the second is the leftovers from the back to my baby quilt.  It's a perfect scarf and oh so soft.


Val is teaching the Fat Quarter Bag and I'm super excited to get going on this.


Debi tells me and Maria that we really need to take a walk with her and see the changes that are taking place on the north side of the property.  There is a new gate and path, along with many cleared areas for future homes.  It looks so good.

We follow the new road down to the river and ahhhh --- this is so good for my soul.  I simply love every moment of it.




Good times with great friends.  Life is just dang perfect.  (Thank you to Maria, whose picture turned out much better than mine --- I chopped half of Debi off, ugh.)


Once back at the house, I hear much laughter coming from the library and peek in.  Meri has been camped here the entire day so far.  It's a good thing she gets visitors now and then.

I do a quick look around the room and have to laugh.  Where is my camera?  One side of the room is packed - everyone laughing and creating together.

The other side is a bit more lonely.  Poor Maria.


My bag is finished and is reversible -- TA-DA


It's game night and that always means tons of laughter and fun.  I don't share all the pictures here, but just know that stories abound.  Cheers -



Tonight we have three new Rubies --- Wowsers.  Congrats to Darlene, Mindy, and Tracey.


Our winners are Lana (fat quarters), Brenda (Bonnie Hunter book), and Paula (layer cake).  Congrats to all.




Even Stephanie peeked in for a brief moment --- she doesn't feel good.


Mindy has completed her GOLDEN SCISSORS.  WOOHOO!!!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!  (That's a lot of exclamation points - hahaha.)

TA-DA Front


and back


Darlene has a few Show and Share's - so, so amazing.


and a TA-DA she just finished binding.


Which is immediately gifted to Jenny to use with her upcoming twins.


Debi has a bag TA-DA - silly girl


Followed shortly by Rocky and Paula


and more giggling in the library


I'm once again done for the night.  The gals took their own picture so here's your last women, mostly standing.


Day 3 - Just another day in paradise.  I'll be happy if the days just last as long as possible.  Darlene is up and working on her collage.  Come to find out she and Val worked on it until almost 2 a.m. last night.  Oh my goodness.  I think she is settling in for the long haul.

Susan has a modernized log cabin TA-DA


And then there are some who work in sterile environments.  How does she do that?

Leanne has also been doing the collage thing.  Hers is the dressmaker form and I think I like it.  Hmmm --- wait, hold on girl.  Do NOT get sucked into another soon to be UFO.

Moving on.  Maria with a TA-DA

Followed by Paula with a couple of Show N Shares  #1


And #2


Rocky is doing a unique top that is a slash and dash type.  WOW, what a transformation.  TA-DA


Fidget blankets are coming together.  I have never seen Meri willing to have her picture taken before.


It's the last night so picture time.  Here are  my lovely ladies:  Back row:  Darlene, Val, Maria, Tracey, Meri, Brenda, Susan.  Middle row:  Jenny, Leanne, Gail, Eveline, Paula, Rocky  Front row:  Debi, Lana, Mindy, and yours truly.  What a wonderful group of women.  (Stephanie had been with us too, however she had to go home early to a sick family - so sad for her and us.)


Vals's Fat Quarter Bag (for her laundry) and Lana's Heart Centerpiece TA-DA's


Maria TA-DA (she worked for this one -- math was not her friend)


Smile Brenda -- it looks wonderful.  Good job Leanne


Another fidget blanket done cooperatively.


Yes, I've been sewing a bit too.  I have finished a super cute diaper changing station.  Love it.

At some point Darlene was ready to give up and finish her chicken at home.  She was sooooo close so I encouraged her to continue and she now has her beautiful TA-DA


Jenny has her Fat Quarter bag TA-DA and that leads us right into our Bag Lady picture.  Woot woot --- what fun when so many work on the same thing.

With a gentle reminder from Mindy that she is going to bed soon, I realize that I have neglected to award her the actual Golden Scissors charm that she has coming her way.  Congratulations.  Welcome to the club.

And with that I am off to bed.  Yep, really the late niter this time around.  I'll leave it to the girls to say farewell.


Day 4 - Our last day with Group one is winding down but we still have lots of pretties laying around.  Val with her TA-DA from late last night.


Eveline has her top sandwiched and ready for quilting.  I think it will be going home with Maria to work her magic.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.


Another fidget blanket picture and another bag --- wow.

I saw Leanne working on a really cool quilt throughout the retreat.  She managed to get it all together but I think she neglected to do a formal TA-DA.  Silly girl ---we'll catch up with you no matter what.

I spotted her posting online and just rapidly stole the picture so we could share with ya'll.  Isn't it great?


Jenny spent quite a bit of time working on Teddy Bears.  Aren't these just adorable?


Brunch is served and that means the house will be emptying out.  So sad.

However, it will not happen before another couple of TA-DA's take place.  These gals are getting every last minute out of the time here that they can.  Sew, sew, sew.  Maria with another Fat Quarter Bag, Darlene with her Fidget Blanket, and Paula with the top that has been in almost every picture this weekend. Perfect, ladies --- truly.



With the room clearing out, Meri moves her flamingo to a table and finally everything is in place.  This has truly been a labor of love.  Beautiful though -- still scary to me.


That's it.  This weekend is a wrap.  I'll leave you with one last picture of all the fidget blankets going into donation for Alzheimer's patients.  Now to clean up and prepare for the next group.  Thank you, one and all, for attending and making it such a great retreat for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment