Thursday, March 31, 2022

March 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

Our them this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another March LINK  as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Come March --- Roar in with some wonderful GREEN.


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

1st - Well, now.  It's another month and this one is jam-packed.  I'm ready to start it out and hope it doesn't roar in too much like a lion.  Here is this month's BINGO and I thought I was so smart using the colored font.  THAT won't happen again.  Goodness.  I'm looking forward to this one, though -- I think I can do it.


Summer Moon has posted along with the beginning of this month's Secret Lives of Color.  Let's get going.

Absinthe. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. Absinthe goes back to a popular alcoholic drink that gained "menace status" towards the end of the 19th century. It was "created from a combination of plants and aromatics, including wormwood, aniseed, fennel, and wild marjoram, which were first bruised and then soaked in alcohol and distilled, creating a bitter, pear-colored liqueur." Loved by the French and associated with Vincent van Gogh, Paul Gauguin, Oscar Wilde, and Edgar Allen Poe, it was said that "whole districts of Paris were said to smell faintly herbal between 5 and 6 p.m., a time that became known as l'heure verte (the green hour). READ more to see all that this color is about.


Sooooo - once again I've managed to create such chaos in the studio.  How do I do it?  Well, with a list a mile long of things I need to accomplish, straightening up in here must be first on the agenda.  In all fairness to myself, a LOT of this will be going to retreat and delivered to the purchasers.



Once it's cleaned up (alas, no pictures),  I just want to pull fabrics and move on.  I am pulling for two smaller months of Secret Lives of Color.  Since my plans are for 12 months and the book only handles 10 colors, I've added a few.  April will be lavender and May will be turquoise.  Time to have some fun.


Oooooh, la, la.  Lookie what came in the mail today.  So much pretty.


I also sat down and finished the binding on Paula's quilt so that I can return it to Joe Pat during retreat this month.  That's the end of today and 

2nd - I have the applique parts on Illusions to finish so that I can get the block together.  See -- proof that I did so some cleaning yesterday, as the machine is available for use.


As soon as the applique is done, the block goes together.


AND gets attached to block one.  Woot Woot.

3rd - Playing in the purple today --- finishing up the second group of Quiltmaker's Bonnie mystery "Ruby Jubilee" is on the table.  These blocks are just so dang pretty.  I love purple more and more all the time.  Here is today's batch:


AND the whole month all together.  Checkmark for me.


During cleaning, I brought all the leftover batting pieces to the cutting table in the hopes of a little scrap management.  I can now say, "mischief managed,"  I have strips and backings for upcoming table runners and another baby project.


4th - As crazy as it seems, there is another quiet book looming on my horizon.  Today, the backings are cut (the batting was finished yesterday) and the project is officially begun.  Hahahaha - that is so funny as this was the EASY part.


Now, in part of the cleaning, I emptied all the scraps from the minky bin as well.  Time to tame them too.

I want to make a few pillows for the grands to use in their "reading" areas and these are just so soft.

Next up, I get the blocks for the Puzzler exchange sewn together and ready for the mail.  Man, I'm feeling pretty good about today so far.  If I could only keep this up all the time.

5th - The Secret Lives of Color - Emerald. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. Ahhh, my birthstone. It's truly a gorgeous color. Beyond jewelry apparently the Romans pulverized the stones to make expensive eye balms as it was believed to be restful to the eyes. Emeralds bring to mind many things - think Wizard of Oz. Of course, there is the whole story of the Bahia Emerald as well. Ya just gotta read, my friends.

We are off to Member Morning at the Dallas Zoo -- Here is a LINK to the fun.  Ya really should look it up and watch the flamingo video.  Giggles will ensue.


We're not spending the whole day out as there are things to do here as well.  I am hoping to mark at least one task off my list --- the paper-pieced units for RT.  Someday, I'll get this top together.


TA-DA --- all four spacer units are finished and the rest of the day is spent with pictures and blog posts.


6th - Dallas Blooms is our morning destination and here is the LINK to share in our eye candy.  Such a lovely morning.


FRIEDA - IF YOU ARE READING THIS MONTH -- STOP NOW.


After our gorgeous morning out, it's back to work.  More picture and blogging happens before I switch to working on these paper-pieced blocks.  I must be crazy as this is just not my forte.  Ugh.  It's a start, right?


Now, back to the minky cutting.  More squares and backings.


7th - After more picture work and blogging, I'm back at these blocks.  One down and something is really wrong with it.  ARGH.


Knowing that the first part is right, I complete that section on all blocks.


Oh - one last thing for today -- the mail brought me my Dear Jane original book.  I'm still not sure if I've lost my mind with this, but forward we go.

8th - The Secret Lives of Color - Kelly Green. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. Ahhhh, perhaps I should have posted this one on March 17 as it is a very Irish color. However, I will tell a story I learned while in Ireland years ago --- St. Patrick was NEVER associated with green and in Ireland it is a holy day, not a holiday. The color St. Patrick was known for was blue and that is what you see around this day. The shamrock? Yes, they were associated with him as he used them to teach people about the trinity. See, holy day. There is so much more to read about how the change from blue to green happened throughout the world. It's a GREAT book.

The daily task of pictires and blogging starts the day and I FINALLY have February finished.  I'm not sure what this year holds for me, but I'm thinking being behind may play a role.  Onto cutting and the Secret Lives of Color for April, May, and August are done.  Don't ask, it's just my wacky plan.


I even had to pull out jewelry to get the right colors.



Sewing machine time for today includes a couple more pieces for the scary blocks.

9th - Retreat begins tomorrow and since the rest of my month will be bonkers, Mister suggests that I go down tonight and get the work done ahead.  I'm game and start packing.  During this process, I come across a couple of rulers that will help with yesterdays book.  Well, that's a nice surprise.


Once the car is loaded and I'm ready to depart, Mister thinks I need something to eat but I don't want to delay.  He makes me "Tuna Pops" to eat in the car along the way.  Gotta love that man of mine.  Met up with Debi and had a nice evening together.  I'm set up and ready for retreat and that is a great feeling.

10th - Retreat begins and the house is full with laughter and love.  Here is the LINK to all the fun.  These times mean so much to me and I finally have the results from my COVID test to I am clear to head to Washington D.C. in a couple of day.  Woot woot.  Lunch at Babes for the gang.  For some reason --- absolutely NO sewing happens for me today.

11th - Retreat is in full swing, but I'm just NOT.  Too many irons in the fire, I think.  
 

I've finally received the Round Robin that was delivered to retreat in February.  Having missed it due to COVID, I'm excited to make progress on it now.


BINGO pot --- how lovely.

Finally, I decide to leave retreat early due to weather concerns --- if it's not one thing, it's another, right?  I'm heading back home to leave from there tomorrow instead of driving to the airport in the middle of the night with a possible storm.  

12th - It's up, up, and away for this girl.  I'm off to D.C. with a ton of 8th graders, some adults, and my lovely daughter and grandson.  Fun times ahead and you can follow along each day - here is today's LINK.  While flying, I'm working on finishing the binding to one of Paula's skinnies.  This one just needs the hanging sleeve tacked down.



A little fun at the National Museum of American History.


13th - It's our second day in D.C. and here is the Day 2 LINK if you wish to share in our fun and maybe learn a thing or two.  I know, I know -- educating people against their will.

We have the most amazing Middling Bread and fresh cheese for lunch and I cannot express how wonderful this is.  The smell and taste are phenomenal.  Be jealous, very, very jealous.


My BEST picture of the trip so far.  Love, love, love.  Taken from the Lincoln Memorial.

14th - The Secret Lives of Color - Scheele's Green. This color is named for Carl Whilhelm Scheele, a scientist in 1775, He managed to make this color crazy popular in home decor and by the late 1800's it was associated with something much more sinister. Arsenic. What a fabulous story on how knowledge is pushed down in favor of production. Hmmm, sound familiar? I've not had a book capture my attention like this one in a very long time.


Our D.C. adventure continues and here is the Day 3 LINK for you to see just what we were up to and be forewarned -- it is a LOT.  Arlington Cemetery,


The Iwo Jima Memorial.


Gadsby's Tavern and a ghost tour of Alexandria are just a few of the highlights.


15th -  It's our final hours in D.C. and here is the Day 4 link to share in what we manage to put in on the last day.  Wow --- pretty amazing.  From the Jefferson Memorial to 


to the Capitol


to the sky ---- it's been so fun -- so educational -- and so exhausting.  I'm beat, but so glad I went.

16th - Arriving home around midnight last night and hitting the road this morning before the sun is up is how I roll right now.  I'm heading back to retreat and have a Tweener LINK for you to see what went on while I was gone and the rest of today.  The moon is setting as I leave.


Upon my arrival at the center, I quickly gather a couple of friends and head to Paula's for another round of "pack up stuff."  Today, the fabric goes with us.


Lunch for the workers.


and dinner for the gang.  We are ready to start retreat tomorrow.  Go, go, go  (quick question for myself - I'm still upright, right?)  Psst - all I wanted was a beer tonight and it just didn't happen.

17th - Round two of retreat officially begins today.  Here is the LINK  to share in all of our crazy fun.  No sewing still for me, but being with the girls is always a boost.


18th - A peek at the swap and sale tables we have this weekend.  Still no sewing for me.  I'm just a blob right now.


19th - The Secret Lives of Color - Terre Verte. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. NOW, we're getting a bit more earthy. However, it hasn't been considered beautiful at all and even artists were indifferent towards it. The strange part is that even prehistoric man seems to have been unimpressed with terre verte as well. It rarely shows up. Later, it was found to help with the coloring of skin in painting and what a story that is. Crazy.


The "small" gang is all here.  We lost a half the gang due to illness this go round.  Drat it anyway.


However, that didn't stop us from having a fantastic time tonight.

20th - Another retreat is in the books.  So much love for those who helped me break down and clean up.  I think I set a record for the most days at retreat without sewing a stitch.  


Home again, home again, jiggety jig.  Mister knows just what to do.


Signs of spring in the yard ---- the quince are blooming.

21st - So, today I am feeling questionable.  Dang it anyway.  I was so hoping that whatever is going around would pass me by, but it doesn't seem to be working that way.  The weather even matches my mood.

22nd - Well, it's official.  I am sick again and crazy unhappy about it.  Before it gets too bad, I am determined to at least get some cutting done on various projects but I don't make it long before I've settled onto the sofa once again.


23rd - How can I put this nicely?  I feel like crap.  That wasn't too nice was it.  At any rate, it's where I am and this is my view from the sofa.  Not much going on.  I DO manage to drag myself out to the table to finish cutting one project and that's ALL the energy I can muster.  Summer Moon has 2 months cut.

24th - The Secret Lives of Color - Avocado. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. Oh man, do I ever remember this color as a child. It was EVERYWHERE and I didn't even like avocadoes as a result. Ugh. I've since learned to enjoy the superfood, but still learning to like the color. Believe it or not, the reason it was so popular in the 60's-70's is because of an oil spill and people wanting to have a more back-to-nature palette. It is STILL going on today -- in a more upscale way -- think avocado toast. Keep reading --- loved this chapter.


I am feeling a bit better but now have another issue.  My mother was taken to ER today and if my being sick creates an issue, I'm super sad.  Just waiting on news and trying to cut projects to keep my mind from imagining the worst.

April's table runner.




May's table runner.  I'm trying to get on top of things as I KNOW April will be crazy busy.


25th - Mom is still in the hospital and it's taking forever to find anything out.  OMG, I feel so isolated down here.  Continuing on with the cutting, trying to keep my mind occupied.  I'm actually feeling better today.  Illusions on the table.

Starting in on all the Secret Lives of Color pieces for two months.

AND, all parts are finished for the needle blocks.  They just need to be put together now.

Finally, I hear about Mom and she is being taken in for open heart surgery TONIGHT.  I'm madly booking a flight for the first thing tomorrow morning and nothing tonight will get me there any sooner.  ARGH.  Pack, pack, pack.

26th - Arriving at the airport in the wee hours, I meet up with Jen and we are both soon heading to Montana.  I do have a post with more details of this trip and you can read it by clicking on this LINK.



A short layover in Denver allows for some breakfast to be grabbed, but not much more.

By the time we get to the hospital, Mom is awake, but on some powerful drugs --- so cute, silly, and loving.  Smiles all around.  She has the surgery behind her, but oh so much ahead.  I have to laugh at the oxygen monitor on her ---- reminds me of E.T. Phone Home. 

27th - It's all day at the hospital, naturally.  Mom is moved from I.C.U. to an Intermediate care floor and has an all new view now.  Since Jen leaves early tomorrow morning -- she wants to help Gam get her hair washed and is able to do so in a very unique manner.


28th -  Early morning airport drop-offs and then a full day with Mom.  Not much else to share cos I don't think y'all want to hear medical stuff.  It is what it is.

29th - The Secret Lives of Color - Celadon. Make two 3 1/2" blocks. This color became associated with a book published in the early 1600's. The book lists it as "woodland-fog" and from that point forward, when seen, things were labeled as such. It can be varied from the basic grayish-green to many shades around it. The story tells of the Asian art associated with this color and the history behind it. Fascinating.

Another hospital day --- BUT, visitors in the backyard.


30th - Just another day at the hospital.  

31st - Today is clean the house day.  A three-man crew works all morning and I wash, wash, wash every fiber related article in the house except clothing.  What a morning.  The rest of the day is at the hospital.  I'm ending the month on a rather low note with minimal quilting happening.  Bring on April.

We've made it to April and the next month in our Color Your World theme - LAVENDER.  The original post with all the information on this theme can be found HERE and the brand new stuff for this month has a post all of it's own as well.  Please click on this April LINK  for the details.  That's where the BINGO card is as well.  


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 

Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - cut out and ready to sew
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Lavender Table Runner - cut out and ready to sew
Rhododendron Trail - progress made
Ophelia Quilt - 
Illusions BOM - 2nd month sewn and 3/4 (most of 4) cut out and ready to sew
Ruby Jubilee --- Blocks finished
Baby Quilt - 
Secret Lives of Color - April/May blocks cut out
Round Robin - Worked on blocks some more
Puzzler Blocks - mailed ahead last month

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stockings - 

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 



No comments:

Post a Comment