Sunday, August 14, 2022

Torsten's Quiet Book

 I have another grandson turning 1 in September and that means I need to get going on his quiet book.  I have done one for each Ashton grand and this is the last one.  As much as I love making these, and I do, they are over 100 hours and so, so much creativity.  At any rate, this one has begun and this post will take me all the way to the end.  Here ya go - 

March 4 - It's time to begin.  I'm trimming up batting scraps so the centers for the QB get cut while doing so.


If I'm going to cut the centers, I might as well clean out the solids tote and get the pages cut too.


6/14 - Did ya notice it's been 3 months.  Good intentions by the wayside once again.  However, today, I AM working on all the design pages.  Doing some drawing and some printing of patterns.


6/15 - My Quiet Book supply tote is a MESS.  While cleaning it, I am pulling out the items I will need for this particular book.  Since the pages are all decided upon and I've created a supply list, this goes well.  I still have to shop, but I found a LOT of the items I needed.  The mess in the totes moved to take over the room, however, it was all cleaned up when I finished and went to JoAnn's for the remaining items.


6/20 - It's been a few days, but I'm still pretty focused on getting this going.  First up is the letters.  I have to find them in the pattern bags - yes, I keep them each time.  Doing the work once is enough.


Then I just keep going.  I have 4 additional pages cut out by the time I'm ready to call it a day.

6/21 - More playing with little pieces of felt.  Another 6 pages cut out today.


6/28 - Leaving the cutting behind for a bit, I start appliqueing the letters onto their backings.


All the letters on are and the backgrounds are attached to the backings.  Front and Back ready for final machine applique.

6/29 - Back to cutting today.  Three more pages started.  I'm still processing on the sport one.


And the tool page is sewn as well today.  It turned out cute.

7/1 - I've a bit of a mess in the den.


BUT - two more pages are done.

7/2 - And another two pages --- I'm making progress.


7/3 - We drove to worked on fishing page while on drive to East Texas - the fishing pole is done but no pictures.

7/4 - Happy Independence Day!  Today I finished up three more pages.


7/5 - Started matching pages to their backings and worked on cutting out the remaining pages ALL DAY and didn't finish --- still two to go.  I saved the hardest for last, as usual.


Even I'm getting tired of the mess.



7/6 - I did it!  All the remaining pages are cut out.  Whew -- I also finished sewing the igloo page.

And have matched more pages to their backings.  It's coming together.


7/7 - I'm closing in on the mess.  Honest.


Two more pages done.  Remember that sports page?  Well I figured out the netting finally.  It's an old lingerie bag used for washing delicates.  I just cut the bottom off.

7/8 - OMG --- THIS was a long day, but two more pages are done.  Isn't the fire truck fun?  Well I'm not quite truthful.  I don't have the fireman or his dog done and there are still small items to add to this, but it's close.

7/10 - Fireman --- this guy took me all day to finish.


7/11 - Dalmatian for the fire truck -- another full day.

7/12 - I'm on the last two pages and make it this far today.  I still have some small items to finish up, but will work on them on the road trip starting tomorrow.


I have placed all the pages in the book in the order they will live.  Whew.  Everything is pinned to it's backing and awaiting final machine applique.


7/15 - I finished the little parts in the car during the Abilene trip but somehow didn't take a picture.  WTW???

7/21 - I'm at retreat and have appliqued the pages to their backings, put the pages back to back in little quilt sandwiches and am working on getting the bindings sewn on.

7/23 - all  bindings are attached and I'm working on handstitching them down.  It's a slow process, just like everything else on this project.

7/28 - ALL BINDINGS ARE ONE!!!  It's a Hallelujah day.

8/14 - I've taken a couple of weeks to travel and am now back to this.  It's time to mark the pages where I want the grommets to go.  I just use a piece of paper that has been three-hole punched and measure down the same distance on each page and use a marker to make a dot where the hole will go.


Next is to cut out the circles and a tool comes with the grommets that will help in this process but because this is so thick, it just gives me a general guideline.


Next, with a small pair of snips, I cut out the holes.


The proof.


Back to the front porch and more hammering gives me the finished look.


Pop in the rings to hold it all together and this is TA-DONE!!




Here are the finished pictures in order and the link for the video is HERE.  














4 comments:

  1. If like to see one in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Deb that book is awesome and will hold great memories for the child who receives it❤️❗️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly. Such imagination and organization. Your grandchildren are certainly lucky to receive such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete