Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Mother/Daughter Road Trip to MSQC - Day 4 - Happy Trails Class, 2 Mini-Classes, and 2nd Trunk Show

 Good morning to all!!!  We are up, showered, fed, and ready to learn.  As I approach my table, there is a gift bag for each person awaiting us.  Inside are lovely little treasures.  How fun is this?  Up front, the teaching area is being set up and I've taken a seat on the front sofa so that my visual needs will be met.  I KNOW people think it's something else, but the fact is that I learn better when I have a clear view of what is being taught.  People and things in front of me are distractions and I miss things.  I even did this in church for YEARS.  It's just how I learn.  As I wait the front is finished up.



My cohorts are starting to join me and we send my love a Good Morning picture.


Each person has received a kit with the items needed for the first class.  It turns out that this was going to be taught on a cruise that was cancelled due to COVID.  Smart to use it now.


There are step outs on the board up front and I'm super thankful for those too.


AND --- our project.  In the picture above, I have the Snail Trail pattern in my lap, but that is NOT the correct pattern.  Okie dokie.  Before long, the Happy Trails pattern is in each person's hand.  THIS is the one we will be using today to make this gorgeous quilt top.


It's time to get started.


All the Doan Girls are here and things are moving along.


They talk, laugh, tell stories and teach all at the same time.


The sample blocks Jenny made in class.


As the class comes to an end, another version is shown and we are give the chance to buy the kits for a crazy good price.  Done.  Also, there are a few of the class kits left and Jen snags one of those (again, crazy good price) as she has a plan for a color variation.



Off we go to cut and sew.  Lunch happens as well and before we know it, we are called back for some mini-classes.  Yes!!  The first up is the Easy Cathedral Window and Jenny shares the tricks she uses.




One of the finished blocks.


A second mini class is based on the Exploding Pineapple, but so much easier --- chop those points off.  I am SO on board.


Used in a table runner.


Another gift has made it's way to us.  Random charm packs have been left at each station.  It is also announced that Jenny's assistant, Cherry, is helping to organize her studio and they are going to have a garage sale with fabric later this afternoon.  They'll just load it up and bring it here --- cash only.  How fun is this?

Back to sewing - and soon there is another announcement.  A new product is going to launch in a few days and we are getting a sneak peek.  The product was used on a jacket for Jenny and this is her first view of it also.  The new product is "cheater quilt" iron on patches and they will come in various sizes and colorways.  I am all over this and am going to have a friend start hunting me down at jean jacket while she is out shopping.


This is just so cool.  Even under the collar.



A bag which used the iron-on patches is also shared.  First off, I LOVE the bag and have marked it down for this afternoons shopping trip.  These patches are also going on my "to order" list for next week.


The view of the room from the teaching table.


We have a chance for a group picture and somehow I never realized that my hair was up AND I'm wearing a shirt that makes me look huge.  Usually, I'm not a vain person, but really???


Lunch happens and right after, Jenny is back to do another class and the first thing she does is walk around handing out bags of scraps for all.  These are from her personal stash that Cherry is cleaning out and there is a reason for them.


Another mini-class!!  This time it is on crumb piecing -- hence the scraps.


This is just so fun.


With the mini-class, I am inspired to give this a go again.  Perhaps it is the perfect leader/ender project.




Sam took a few pictures of the room --- there are a LOT of us quilters here.



We now have a break for a couple of hours and a list of items that "must" be bought.  Isn't that funny?  Suddenly - gotta have.  Off we go, but first, a couple of pictures from behind the center.



A moment for a selfie in the Penny's Quilt Shop.


Today's purchases.  I discovered that I came without a thread stand.  Oops.  Also LOVED the tote and needed a strap for an upcoming retreat project - the book??? - well, it just came along.


Shortly after we return, the garage sale takes place and the other gals find great treasures.  I'm really trying to stick to my lists right now so I just help them find things.

After the bulk of the sale is over (it was a feeding frenzy for quite some time but I didn't take any pictures), dinner is served and then the music comes on.  It doesn't take long before some dancing happens.  Starting with a line dance.



The Macarena.  Yep, you read that right.  So silly.





Now it's time for the second trunk show - with the girls showing some of their own personal favorite quilts.  I didn't take as many pictures tonight, but enjoy the ones I do have.


Natalie's first quilt - 


Then she tells us a story of the next quilt.  Kaffe Fasset collaborated with Coach for a collection and as part of that Missouri Star was asked to make quilts (that sold for $1000) and Natalie did that.  Each quilt was given a special label and when it was all over, she had one additional label and made another quilt for herself.  The best part of the story was that she found her confidence in quilting and has something to mark her growth.  It was just so inspiring to hear her talk about her journey through this remarkable event.



Misty shares one of her grandmother's Dresden quilts.



Jenny shares this Anna's Basket quilt by Edyta Sitar.  She did it as a Block of the Month and I am in love with this.  Must find the pattern.



Last night Ron, Jenny's sweetheart, was here for the trunk show and she told a story about him sharing his quilts.  He has arrived to treat us with his own suitcase show.


This one is Rising Star (you can purchase the pattern at Missouri Star) - 


Next is the Stripes and Bikers (not sure of the real name) - Look close


Even Jenny is taking pics - 


This one is Amplified (also available in the store).  Ron works on the Modern side and does the Mod Block when asked.


Love this --- the girls are relaxing.


Peek Ron - TA-DA


And another --- I didn't get the name of this one.  Sorry.


Missouri Star posts this one and we have proof we are here.  What a great show again tonight.  It's all just so inspiring.


Gwen has her block TA-DA from Happy Snails


Behind her, on the design wall --- cats and snail blocks combined.  Very cool.


Have I been sewing?  Yep.  My blocks are well underway, but this day is done.  It's around midnight and I'm calling it a night with a full heart and lots of ideas swirling in my head.  Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment