Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Mother/Daughter Road Trip to MSQC - Day 3 - Scavenger Hunt and 1st Trunk Show

 Let the classes begin!!!  We are dressed as quadruplets and ready for whatever the day may bring.  Remember that this is new to ALL of us and we're just going with the flow.



And having fun along the way.  That's the plan, right? ALWAYS.  Look out Hamilton - Some of The Quilt Sisters are in town.


Since the retreat doesn't officially start until late this afternoon, today we have been given our Scavenger Hunt lists and are off to explore Quiltown USA.  Our first stop is the Main Shop, where a small display of ALL the shops can be found.  This is so fun and helps us with planning.





Here, we are enrolled in the program, given a scannable ticket to put in our lanyard (and use at ALL shops) and this fun bag.  Well, that's exciting and so smart of them.  Of course, we'll be shopping.


I'm not going to share each purchase here.  I'll be typing all day if I do, but I'll share somewhere along the way.  Outside we go ---- Jen has a walking plan and we're with her  . . . Check out the town.




We get lost in Nancy's Notions, which it turns out, is a bag shop.  Who knew?  OMG.  Things definitely went into the bag.  See that cute little bag on the mannequin?  So did I.


At Penny's Quilt Shop (literally in an old JC Penney building), this quilt is hanging and I LOVE it.


We started this hunt at a little after 9 and it's almost 1.  Tummies are rumbling so a stop at Eggo's Café is up next.  Are we done with the hunt?  Nope.



Outside the café is this great mural of the Hamilton Train Depot.  "Hamilton was built around The Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, which was completed on Valentine's Day, 1859.  In the fall of the same year, the Hamilton Depot was built.  In 1885 a spur line to the Hamilton Coal Mine was added and later extended to Kingston.  The spur line was unique with no turnarounds at either end, so the train traveled forward one way and backward all the way back.  The arrival of the railroad brought with it new people, ideas and commerce from across America and helped shape Hamilton into a bustling community."  Not my words --- a plaque on the wall outside.


I spot this sign in Mrs. Little's Tea and Toys and Gwen sends them on a hunt for it.  You'll have to ask her about it as she bought some and I didn't.


Cndy Gran Sweet Shop has an ice cream cone that Gwen declares is the "perfect size."


A little backtracking to Tammy's Flowers, a store that was closed at the beginning, and I find this miniature quilt but what really draws me in is the embroidery on the border.  Ooooh.


Well --- that's it.  The Scavenger Hunt is complete and we have returned to our room and it's almost 4 p.m.  That's a day of shopping.  There were moments when it was all so overwhelming and several of us took a turn just sitting and getting our bearings.  

Gwen and Sam are in a different room from us BUT we share a sitting room that opens from the back of our own rooms.  It's also where 4 bathrooms are.  Love it but have no idea why NONE of us took a picture.  I guess that's for another year.  I have emptied out my bag of goodies and sorted them to share how they came about.  The stack in the center with patterns on the left and rulers on the right is the "swag" we received at the various scavenger hunt stop.  All gifts ---- crazy fun.


These first two pics are things I picked up for myself.  The charms were given as a bonus for dollars spent in various places.  Jen and I tried to purchase "something" from each shop, even if it was small.  Some of mine are here - 


These are items purchased for upcoming retreats - I'm always on the lookout for gifts and mini-class ideas.  Charm holders were a must.


These were gifts today -- Sammy bought me the mini-charm pack as I've been adoring the Nantucket Summer line and Jen bought me the earrings in the jewelry shop after we all purchased necklaces (not pictured above as it's on my neck.)


Jen's charm additions.  I didn't get some of the ones she did as I didn't make large purchases in the same stores.  Isn't that llama darling?


According to our itinerary --- The Doan Girls Retreat is set to begin 5 and it does!  Jenny, Misty, and Natalie open things up and we are so excited to be sharing the next few days with them, laughing and learning.  Their opening remarks set the tone for the whole time and it's gonna be grand.


If I have one tiny issue, it's eating on my lap or the floor or beside my sewing machine.  I'll get over it and enjoy all the fun of this time.


After dinner, we are treated to a trunk show from Missouri Star's book:  Creating a Quilted Home.  How fun is this?  Enjoy the eye candy - we sure did.  Oh - and remember that Jenny's trademark is taking blocks and making them SIMPLE to make using precuts as much as possible.  I have some names, but not all and will add as I come across them in my notes.

HST Around the World


Tumblers - two ways.  I think one is Tumbler Chevron


Houses - Jenny Lane??


Big Spools 


Mini Missouri Star


Here Comes the Sun 


More Dresden fun 


Hearts (don't know the name)


Sew Many Squares and variation -


Easy Cathedral Window 


Lovely Leaves


Pineapples (maybe using the Bird of Paradise Pattern?)


Grandma Mae's Economy Block


Beautiful - what is the name?


At the end of the evening, layer cakes were given away and both Sam and Jen received one.  Awesome.  Tomorrow is class so we are off to bed as we really didn't plan on a bunch of personal sewing this trip.  Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment