Monday, August 1, 2022

Mother/Daughter Road Trip to MSQC - Day 2 (Top of the Rock Nature Trail and Bat Cave)

 Y'all know that I can't just go on a trip and drive past fun stuff.  I've got to get out and explore just a wee bit.  Didn't you know that?  Did I take it for granted that you did?   At any rate, today, we are leaving from Mountain View, AR and two hours away, just south of Branson, is Top of the Rocks Lost Canyon Cave Trail in Missouri.  Now, in the interest of transparency, I did call my friend, Ramona, to ask about this place first, but she didn't know anything about it.  Well then - someone has to take the first step.  We do get a bit lost finding the exact location we wish to be at, but are soon through the doors and boarding our golf cart to adventure.  We are No. 46 and are told that that is important to remember.  Apparently some folks get disoriented and forget where they parked along the way.  It could happen.  Once we have our cart, let's get this party started.  The view is beautiful but I know it's gonna just get better.  At least that is what the website said.

Here we go and our cart even visually talks to us along the way.  Oh, Jen has chosen to drive once again.  I don't think she trusts us or she has control issues.  One way or the other -- okie dokie.


Let's go ladies.


First thing -- it's into a tunnel.


And on the other side - ooooh


We have arrived --- we're in the Ozarks.  Where are the Byrdes?  If you don't get that --- Netflix, my friend, Netflix.


Oh goodness.  Waterfalls!!!  I am such a waterfall and fountain girl.  Must stop and get out.



Yep ---- to be young.


Ah, my daughter,  Can I tell you just how happy I am that she is with me on this trip?  I treasure each of her precious moments that she gives to me as I know how busy she is.


The gangs all here.  Yes, they are stuck with my adventures.  Part of the price of me doing all the planning.


Hey Sammy --- our shadows do well together.


As we return to the cart, I look up and say, "Shhhh.  Hold still.  Look ahead of us."  There's a marmot right in front and I take lessons from Mister and snap the picture quick before trying for a better one.
 

The better one - but still, I wiggled a bit.  Or he did.


Back into the cart and on our way again.  The scenery is fab.



LOOK at this bridge.  I LOVE it.  What is there about covered bridges that draw me in?


Little caves hidden here and there.


Some bigger ones too.



We stop near the ridge and take a few minutes for pictures.


While doing so, I spot the exit from the cave.  Oops, I'm getting ahead of myself.  Moving right along now.


This is a cool pic right?


Apparently, Sam thought so too.


Okay, back on the cart and into the cave we go.  The cave is the only area where we are not allowed to get off the carts.


More directions from the cart. 


Ready?  We are.


In we go - 


First stop - the Bat Bar.  Yep, that's right.  Pull right up and get yourself a treat.


The bartenders take a snap of us - 


And we take one right back.


Drinks and treats in hand --- we are off again on our adventure.  Just look around and try not to be too harsh of a judge.  We are moving and a moving camera doesn't take really clear pictures.  Notice the "swing wide" sign --- that comes back to haunt me later on.




Psst - Sam sent the videos.  I am just trying to look at EVERYTHING/


The skeleton of a short faced bear.  Creepy, right?


As we are about to leave --- Gwen sees the light at the end of the tunnel and shares this pic.


Back outside --- more waterfalls.


AND . . . we are crossing the bridge.




Check out how it is made.


More amazing scenery along our drive.  Rock stacking runneth amok.




A bear cave.  I'm so skeptical as we approach.  No way this is real, right?


It's BEAUTIFUL inside.  If you pass this by, you miss a wonderful cavern.  The bear?  Well, I won't spoil the moment for you.  Go see.


Loving this side trip.


The rocks here are crazy cool. 




As are the wildflowers.



Onto the next cool bridge.  AND waterfall.  A bit of a story here.  Remember that "swing wide" sign?  Well there was another one right before the waterfall.  Jen was driving.  I was passenger to her.  You get the picture.  Needless to say, I'm a wee bit wet while taking these pictures after we stopped.





Covered bridge number two ahead.


With more waterfalls below.  How amazing is this place?


Finally, we have made it to Top of the Rock.  What a beautiful view.  Yeah, the scenery is pretty cool too.





The young'uns.


Such a great memory to share.  Love traveling with her.




One more bridge to cross and our last waterfall.



We're back at the lodge and turn our cart in.  Time to peek around the lodge.


Oh my - 


Divine - I want to tour the chapel next trip.




The bellies are rumbling a bit, so lunch while we are here seems apropos. Arnie's Barn --- think Arnold Palmer.


Yes, we're all together and this is my "get even" picture.


Another salad for me.  Yum.


A wooly mammoth.  Pretty cool.


The girls, patiently waiting for the shoppers to catch up.


Maybe this should have been the first picture, but I didn't see it until now.  This is where we are.  OH - Ramona --- GO.


Time to drive some more.  We have a lot of miles to eat up.  Psst - there's a cross in the distance and it reminds me of the one between Kalispell and Bigfork in Montana.


As we are driving along, a sign catches Sam's attention and an abrupt stop is made.  Must stop for fabric.  You can check out the shop is this LINK.  It's followed up by a stop at the Amish Trading Post, but that's a tourist trap if I've ever seen one.  Not much Amish about it, but "maybe" the kids working there.  I did have fun with them and walked out with a huckleberry ice cream cone.

The barn quilt was pretty cool though.


Farmland as far as the eye can see.  Soy beans are the number one crop here.



Believe it or not, by almost 8 we have arrived and check into the Hotel Hamilton.  I LOVE that my room has been "wallpapered" with old dress patterns.  


Everything is unloaded and the Marshalls fabric is put into the coolers and shoved into the car - yep coolers too.  The back rack is up and out of the way.  We are off to Subway - the only place still open in town for a late dinner and a start on deciphering the scavenger hunt clues we were given upon check in.


After dinner, a few minutes are spent to set up my station and get good look at the room we will be in for the next couple of days.  I can't believe how excited I am.  And tired.  I'm really tired.



Now --- off to bed, only to hear roommates come in around 10 and proclaim, "I never thought it would be dark in here at 10."  Yep, I'm tired.  Onto tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment