Tuesday, May 31, 2022

May 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 

Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another May LINK  as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Let's go May - love me some turquoise.


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

1st - Happy May Day!  We are in recovery/unpacking/laundry/shopping mode today.  I'm only home for a few days and the list is MASSIVE.  We can do it.

Summer Moon posted today!  Don't you just LOVE these blocks?


2nd -  It's the proverbial "kick myself in the butt" time.  Every minute of the day is being used to its maximum capability.  I worked on Illusions during my time in Montana last month and now need to fix the one gold block and applique them all.  Off to the studio I go and, seriously, 20 minutes later these are ready to pack for retreat.  

My brain is now in costume mode and I have a fun idea for the "Snapshot in Time" retreat.  Where is my school sweater?  I can do something with that, right?  Mister catches me in the act and snaps a picture to share -- I think it's the mess that did him in.  I'm repacking the cedar chest at this point - oh, and the school sweater?  Well, it's the ONLY thing in there that was damaged.  ARGH.


About this time, a delivery turns my frown upside down.  What a cute little succulent from my daughter.  It's the birthday season!  Speaking of - here is the LINK to my fun.


All the mail from the past two weeks is delivered and I have a special treat.  How wonderful to receive a thank you card that is quilted.


Back to the cutting board.  I have decided to try and cut another month of Illusions from the previous month's leftovers.  I DO it and have another group of blocks ready for retreat.  My scraps this time are too small to keep, but minimal since the entire block was cut from scraps.


Another trip out to the studio to pull fabrics for a couple of table runners and another month of SLC.


Additionally, I am in process of analyzing the work I need to do on Paula's skinnies in order to return them to her family.  I'm hoping to finish these up at retreat.


How many items can I get on the cutting table before I begin?


AND, my poor den is now lost and I still have a few days to go.  My poor sweetie is twitching.

3rd - Cut, cut, cut is the plan.  First, a table runner or two.


Note to self --- keep this order.


Another pull of fabrics for future SLC


Two months of SLC cut and ready to sew.  Packing for retreat.


Tacos for lunch --- goodness, but I'm starving.  So much so that I stopped and actually cooked.


Back to cutting --- Quiltmaker Ruby Jubilee for May/June is next.  I get a start before the eyes start crossing, I've found a HUGE mistake, and it's time to call it a day.


Another birthday season delivery --- love, love, love.

4th - Happy Birthday to me!  Waking to a coffee delivery from my love.  It's a great start to a very busy day.  I have a ton to do before I can enjoy this evening.  Tomorrow is an early day and I'm not close to being ready.  First, I hit the iron and get all of the appliques into place.  There are a few and I even have to cut the lemon slices first.  Then, out to the studio to finish all the applique stitching on my various projects.  I run out of yellow thread before completing these lemon slices.  Drat.  However, both of Paula's projects are ready.


Back to the cutting table and Ruby Jubilee is fixed and ready to go.  Pack her up.


Time for some family love ----- my heart is full.


Finishing up at the cutting table gives me a chance to have a couple months of Summer Moon ready to go as well.  My list for retreat is getting longer by the minute.


With that, I'm almost ready to go.  Woah!!!



I still have a wee bit of time before I have to get dressed for the evening.  A mad dash to JoAnn's nets me yellow thread and I go straight to the studio and finish up the lemon slices.  That project is now packed as well.  Whew.  I did it.

Now for my wonderful birthday present from Mister.  We are off to the Symphony at the Arboretum.  If you wish to see more, click the birthday link above --- it includes video as well.

Upon our return home from an amazing, romantic evening, Mister helped me load the car for my early morning departure.  I'm one happy girl.

5th - I am up before the sun and make my way to Rainbow, TX for our 1st of two back-to-back retreats.  To read all about the fun, here is the Route 66 LINK.  My first order of business is to get the bread going for dinner and I have to admit they look amazing.

I am also trying so hard to fix the round robin for Frieda.  I've set up in my room with a 301 that is up for sale when my chair crashes out below me.  I feel like Goldilocks.  It takes me quite awhile, but I do manage to get the round back on with what I think is a better option.  I still don't love it, but I no longer hate it --- that's gotta be an improvement, right?  It's now off to Fawn once again.


Birthday cake for Kelly and I ---- so, so yummy.


6th - My entire focus for today is to work on all the skinnies that Paula finished and get hanging sleeves onto them.  I have created a little nest on the sofa just for this task.


Eight are ready to go.


Now, I would like the chance to do a little sewing and settle in with my Illusions blocks.  The first two were mostly together and just waiting on the applique that was completed at home.  Boom!  Just like that, I have block.


The third one went together quick as well.


I was even able to put one row together and part of the second.  I'm really liking this one.  Time for bed.


Oh, wait --- check out these little HST cut-offs.  Where can I put them?

7th - Mug rugs are being made all around today.  As the illustrious leader, I must do one as well.  First thing --- layout accomplished.


A walk down the road to chat with Mom nets me these beautiful pictures.



And my mug rug TA-DONE.  It's even TURQUOISE, for May.



Next up are my blue Churn Dash blocks for June.  One more task complete.


A group picture ---- in a unique room.  Just showing the love.

8th - The Secret Lives of Color - Turquoise - Make 2 - 3 1/2" blocks. I know, I know -- will the 3 1/2" never end. They will. Honest. This is the second month that I am going rogue and adding another category. What do you know about Turquoise? "“Which came first.. the chicken or the egg?” conundrum, one might ask, “Which came first.. the turquoise stone or the color?” In light of the previous information given in the monthly blog post, the best answer is likely the stone/mineral, which in turn lent its name to the color that followed." I have a ton more information in this month's pinned post. Check it out.


The first group of retreaters are leaving and we are down to just a few for the quiet in-between days.  Here is the Tweener LINK, if you want to peek in.  I'm into yellow today.  Between working on all of the Church Dash blocks for July and the table runner for July, I have a pile of slivers.


A quick 16 patch and attachment of my lemon slices blocks let me sandwich this runner and it's ready for quilting.


July's blocks are also done.  It's been a good day.


One of the last few skinnies for Paula has also been quilted and binding is ready to be stitched down.

9th - I MUST focus on getting the baby quilt on the frame today.  I only have three quiet days here where I can have it set up.  First, I draw the pattern onto the top and then load the back onto the frame.   Once I get the batting out, it has a ton of wrinkles, so I let it set for awhile and then throw it in the dryer to see if that helps.


While the batting fluffs, I also have to get my painting started.  Again, three days of this mess is all I have.  Base coat is on.


Batting and top are also on the frame.  Got busy quilting and had one third done by 3 in the afternoon.


Debi's sweetheart made Calzones for us for dinner and they were so yummy.


My final task for the night and just so I can get a checkmark on my list --- quilting on the cornucopia skinnie happens and then both are bound and done.  Woohoo.  Only one item to go.

10th - Settling in at the frame, another third is finished first thing.  The fingers are starting to feel a little sore.  


Summer Moon blocks for June in the works as well.  The first one kind of makes me think of firecrackers.


More time with the bears.  I have the letters done and it's ready for touch-ups and eyes.


Quilting is done on Paula's last skinnie and my July table runner.  Both bindings are attached and I'm working on them, but calling it a night.

11th - Okay, it's crunch time.  The bears are touched up, eyes done, and sprayed.  One mess can be cleaned up.


The last third on the quilt is also in and I'm ready to trim and pin for closing the edges.


Bear TA-DONE -- 


Another set of Summer Moon blocks for July.


Paula's LAST skinnie is in the done column.  I'm also out of the skinnie business.  Can I get a Halleluiah?
 

Dinner out!!!!  So much fun spending time with these amazing ladies.


Evening work ---- binding is on the table runner and it is TA-DONE.


A few of the Ruby Jubilee blocks get put together at the last minute before bed.  It's a start, but I'm calling it a day.

12th - Round two begins today and the house is rapidly filling up.  Here is the Snapshot in Time LINK so that you can share in our fun.  My first task is to get started on the Bargello table runner.


And to get the pillows sewn together and stuffed.  I get this far before running out of stuffing.

We went to town for lunch and Babe's and I had a chance to stop and purchase some more stuffing.  Once back, the tubes are sewn together.


Jen arrives and brings a beautiful plant with her.  Birthday season continues.


Finishing up my pillows, all are stuffed and closed.  Another check mark for me.

13th - Bargello, Bargello, Bargello.  That is my task for today.  The tubes get cut, opened and put into columns.


Then I just have to sew the columns together into three blocks, add the sashing strips and border, and then make a sandwich.


From that point, I quilt it up and get the binding added.  Now, it's handwork time and let the party begin.


A view of my work station at retreat.  Yes, there are multiple projects going at once.


Time to get ready for game night and Snapshot in Time.  I've found as many pins and things from my youth as possible and I need to get them attached to a t-shirt.


Let's have some fun!


After the games --- more Ruby Jubilee work.


AND the Bargello table topper is TA-DONE.

14th - Time is flying by --- I am on day 10 of retreat and there are still items on my list.  Go, go, gophers.  Another round of Ruby Jubilee blocks.


And they are done for another round.  Whew.


The tricot quilt is also finished.  All edges have been closed and it's ready to ship.

15th - Well, it's here.  The last morning.  We are packed up and on the way home by noon.  Mister treated me to dinner out and I'm now relaxing with my feet up.

16th - Every now and then there has to be a domestic day.  Today is just one of those.  Laundry, a trip to JoAnns for yarn, working on pictures and postings.  Then to settle into a chair and get started on the afghan.  I just couldn't keep going with the pink one.  This is a better plan, although even this plan changes twice and I take the whole thing apart and start again.

17th - The Secret Lives of Color - Teal. Make 2 - 3 1/2" blocks. What do we know about this color that is oh so close to turquoise? I LOVE Teal. Thanks to Wikipedia - "The first recorded use of teal as a color name in English was in 1917. It is derived from the Middle English tele, a word akin to the Dutch taling and the Middle Low German telink. As a color, its name is believed to have been taken from the small freshwater common teal, a member of the duck family whose eyes are surrounded by this color. Teal is a cyan-green color. It can be created by mixing cyan into a green base, or deepened as needed with black or gray. The complementary color of teal is pink. Teal was a fad color during the 1990s, with, among others, many sports teams adopting the color for their uniforms.


Another trip to JoAnn's for more yarn and spent the remainder of the day working on the afghan with intermittent times at the computer getting pictures developed from the first retreat and tweeners along with SM posts done for June and July.  More check marks for me.

18th -  Booked flights to Montana for 5 days from now.  Oh goodness.  I have so much to do before I can go and will need to pack a project that must be done there as well.  I worked on the second retreat pictures and posted them before settling in and finishing the afghan.  It's so dang soft.  I love it.


Evening out with my sweetie.  We'll be apart for 17 days this go round.  Goodness.

19th -  It's a get 'er done day.  I worked on posts then went to load the baby quilt onto the longarm.  After cleaning up studio and starting to load, I discovered that I cut the backing and batting the wrong size.  ARGH.  Back to JoAnn's for third time this week and purchased a new backing.  Now it's too hot to be out back so tomorrow is another day.  Blogging happens.

20th -  As soon as I'm up, I head out back, load the quilt with the new backing and batting.

Quilting takes less than an hour before it's off the machine.

Next, the binding and label are made and attached.  

Time in my chair with a show and some thread gives me a TA-DONE.  I quickly get everything boxed up and shipped off.  When I say everything ---- two quilts, one afghan, ceramic bears, 10 pillows, 2 purses, and various odds and ends.  Three big boxes out the door to 9 grandchildren.


21st - The new wagon for retreat arrived today!!



Saturday and preparing for another trip to Montana.  Packing up all the parts for another quilt plus a table runner.  I've also found more items that need to make the trip with me as I didn't have room last time.    Now for time with my sweetie.  We are off to enjoy the lovely day outside - it's all of 79 degrees out and absolutely wonderful.


22nd -  My final day - I'm packed and ready to go.  Mister is treating me to a morning viewing of Downton Abbey - The New Era at the theater.  I had forgotten how much I really love to see movies on the big screen.  Must reestablish this habit and date night fun.


Brunch at Cafe Brazil follows and I'm truly happy --- and my belly is too.  The rest of the day is just time together and making sure I have everything completed that needs to be.  LOTS of work on the November retreat.

23rd - It's Up, Up, and Away, boarded before 5 a.m.  Wow.  Once airborne, I find Dune is available to watch and give it a go.  GREAT movie.  The remaining May days are shared in greater depth in this LINK.


My layover is in Salt Lake City and, well, at least it isn't dull.  Take a peek.


Arriving at Mom's - things have definitely greened up and the yard is ready for some spring care.  How much energy do I have?

24th - Mom's first rehab appointment is today and it turns out to just be another assessment.  OMG.  This is sooooo drawn out and I'm thinking one heck of a lot of money goes to sitting and talking.  At least the flowers outside the center were pretty.

25th - I'm finally getting the sewing area set up.  I really need to make some progress on this quilt.


Cutting is the task for today.


The blocks are cut --- it's a good start.


26th -  Some cherry blossom love!!  Mom and I drove into Bigfork for a few groceries and stopped to peek at the trees.  So, so pretty.


My sewing for today got a start on blocks for O's quilt.  That's all folks as for some reason, I am very tired and feel as though I've hit the proverbial wall.  Calling it a day.

27th -  The Secret Lives of Color - Verdigris. Make 3 - 3 1/2" blocks. It's ack to the book with this one and it closes out the green chapter in the book. I saved it for her to give us a third this month and because it fits the turquoise category. Now a bit on Verdigris: This color naturally forms on copper and bronze when they are exposed to various elements but it is more associated with wealth. Retrieving those formations from the copper plates was a costly and long process, then the dying happened and THAT was still frowned upon during the time of the color's rise. Read on, my friends. Education is a glorious thing and this book makes it all come alive. From here on out --- we are back to the book full time, my extra months are done.


A little bit of me time --- went and got the toes pretty again.  They were baaaaad.


Starting in on the cutting.   


More blocks done along with sashing, cornerstones, and binding cut.

28th - I REALLY need to kick it in gear a bit so today is a SEW day.  After cutting the remaining border fabrics, I used everything I could that was leftover to make a backing.  From that point, I sewed the binding and border strips in preparation for adding to the top I haven't made.  Yep, all things in the right order never works well for me.

It's lunch time and I'm now ready to get going on the remaining blocks as soon as my tummy is happy.


My niece and her family show up for a visit and I'm more than happy to chat and play - especially with my great-nephew.  These are treasured moments, especially since he walked over when I asked him to take a selfie with me.  This is what I got when I said, "Smile."


The house is quiet again and I'm back to work.  The August table runner gets some fabric cut - backing, binding, sashing and cornerstones.  It's a step in the right direction.


Now - a movie goes on and I settle in to complete the blocks, making it a successful moment before the movie even ends.  Woot woot.  One step closer.


An evening trip into town to pick up dinner sends me over the bridge during Whitewater Festival.  I am missing the event, sadly, but time with family is a higher priority.  It was a productive day, though, and I'm feeling a little less stress.

29th - With a little determination, I get up and instantly gather all the items for this quilt and lay them out on the bed.  While in Montana, I have a king-sized bed so it's a decent design wall.  I love the softness of this line - next step is to pick it up and get ready to web.


While sitting and visiting with Mom, I've brought in all the cutoffs from the blocks (which I had sewed and pressed as I did each block) and am trimming the HST's to 1 1/2" so that I can use them in the label.


A trip to Kalispell is next.  

Mom has requested that I make a new, lightweight coat for Bailey.  He REALLY wants his jacket on at all times and it's getting warmer (well, there is hope that it will get warmer up here in Montana) so he needs something lighter.  We priced them, but it's crazy so, believe it or not, it is getting cheaper to make ourselves.  Just another way things are going back in time.  Before the stop for fabric, we check out a plant shop and have some lunch with my sister and brother-in-law.  Then it's off to get the fabric.  Mom is so lucky as all the flannel is on sale and we're just going to do 2 layers of it.  I also have a 60% off coupon for the velcro so the materials for this project are just a little over 5 bucks.  

While driving home, we are hit with rain in a downpour so no more stops to look at plants.  Another day perhaps.  Meanwhile, it's back to the HST's for me and soon they are all cut.  I have 96 of them.


A little playing give me the first row on the label.  I like it, but am not really wanting to sew anymore today.


So, instead I work on making a pattern for the dog jacket.


30th - Good morning!  I have high hopes for today and as I'm getting ready to make some magic, I realize that while at the store yesterday, I forgot to purchase some basting spray.  ARGH.  Now, another trip into town today (30 miles away) and more of the precious gas used, but we don't go back in until Wednesday and I need it before that, I think.  Perhaps I'll reevaluate the time schedule and see if I can work it out.

Now --- get to work.  With Virgin River to keep me company, I don't leave the machine until the blogs are webbed.  A quick break to eat an English muffin and drink a cup of coffee is followed by putting all the rows together.  Whew!


I REALLY am a pit bull now ---- eight seams to go.  Both borders go on and this top is ready to quilt.


The label is finished as well and I'm in love with this one.  Just wish I had had a couple more hst's so that it was even, but I used ALL my scraps up.


Package is complete and ready for the next step.  Now to get that basting spray.  All in all, it's been a good day, but a long one.  I think I sewed for about 7 hours solid.  Enough for today.

31st -  I am up and moving this morning.  We have the cleaners coming today and I've created a mess in not only my room, but the den as well.  By the time I get everything picked up, it seems logical to get the laundry done as well.  Since I'm in motion, I land at the machine and get Bailey's new anxiety jacket sewn.  It needs to set for a bit so the glue on the velcro binds.


A trip into Bigfork to buy flowers let me have a little more fuchsia love.
 

We come back home and I discover toadstools in the backyard.  Crazy.


Let's see if the jacket fits ---- woot, woot -- it does and he loves it.  Didn't even go looking for the one I took off (which was much too warm for this time of year).

With that, I am calling May done.  I don't see much else going on this evening so I'ma gonna get this posted.  I came close on BINGO, but still didn't get the blackout.

That brings us to June ---  and BLUE!!!  Let's Color Your World with the many shades of this luscious color.  The original post on this theme can be found here and all the wonderful information for month number 6 can be found in this June LINK.  That is where the new BINGO card is as well.

Once again, thank you for reading this far and hats off!  You are a rockstar!  See you next month and stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - June and July done
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Blue Table Runner - DONE
Yellow Table Runner - DONE
Rhododendron Trail - 
Ophelia Quilt - Ready to sandwich and quilt
Isla Quilt - DONE
Isla Afghan - DONE
Isla Bears - DONE
Anxiety Jacket for Bailey - DONE
Illusions BOM - DONE
Ruby Jubilee - DONE
Isla Tricot Quilt - DONE
Secret Lives of Color - June and July done
Round Robin  - All done and waiting for mine
Puzzler Blocks - Current

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stockings - 

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 


2 comments:

  1. Lord woman, you make me tired with aal you get done. You are a beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It truly is a problem when one overbooks like a crazy person. It is what it is.

      Delete