Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 December Quilt Update


Hello and welcome to the last Monthly Quilt Update of 2019.  Did you join us in our theme for this past year?  Do you know what it was?  Here is a hint and if you want to know all about it -- here is the LINK.  AS this posts, we are moving onto a new theme and you can find it at the end of this monthly post.   Always remember that in this group all links open in a separate window so you don't lose your place here AND there are no ads or popups EVER.

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.



In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It was an ongoing project this year and will continue into 2020 as well.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The list changes each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

1st - December!!!!  There is a part of me that is sooooo ready for this month as that will signal the end of a very challenging year, but again, it means the end of a year in which so many wonderful things took place as well.  At any rate, bring it on.  This month will be filled with holiday events, a mystery quilt, and as much as I can pack in.  Let's get started.  I am prepping for my annual cookie and ornament exchange party.  Kitting up their craft occupies the morning and I follow up with typing recipes and blog posts.  I have a GOAL to get the family one caught up.  I can do it.

I have a funny story about the ribbon in the upper left picture.  For years, I have been throwing those fat quarter bundle ribbons into a drawer and saving them.  My hoarding tendencies paid off though.  I untied them all, removed the tags and these crazy little, round, white rings and then pressed them all smooth.  They will be perfect for these ornaments.  However, I have absolutely no idea what to do with the little white rings.


2nd -  This house needs to be decorated BUT (and it's a pretty big but) all of the tubs and stuff are still in the attic.  I do, however, keep the linens in the house and so am able to at least do that part.  Bedding is changed out once again in the master room.  I have to clean up the other room before I can manage the same there.  A trip to the store brings me pink ribbon (remember, it's missing) and I am able to finish my afghan.  Woot woot.  It's so pretty.  Into the box it goes and I'm off to the post office and grocery store.  The first is tackled after a wait  - a customer brought in about 25 large envelopes and had to weigh each one and think about how she wanted it sent.  Just shoot me now.  It's finally my turn and I'm outta there in about 2 minutes.  Onto the store and the supplies to make my cookies for Saturday.  Again, not a fun trip.  It took me three stores to find what I needed.  i need to rethink my "go-to" store.  Once home, more prepping for the party and blogging finish out the day.

3rd -  Mister helped get the tubs out of the attic first thing in the morning.  They are EVERYWHERE in the house now.  That means I have to get busy.  Since I'm cleaning house at the same time, some rooms will take a bit longer to do than others.  The hall contains everything except the living room items (below) and the front entrance holds everything for outside.


After spending the ENTIRE rest of the day decorating, all that remains is the outside and living room - and some final touches in the other rooms too.  It's kind of dark, but I am taking a few pictures anyway.





4th - Cookie Day!!!  I have 11 dozen to make for the party this weekend.  Opting to make the Peanut Butter Christmas Mice means that this is an undertaking.  They are so fiddly, but so good and dang cute when finished.  As soon as I finish, I drag Mister outside to get the decorations up before dark.  Working quickly, it happens.


With all that work in the kitchen, dinner just didn't happen.  We are off to Intrinsic for a baked potato and a beer.  Sounds perfect to me.  It's Wednesday, which means we can do all that for very few dollars.  Even better.

Leaving Intrinsic, the park across the street is setting up for a weekend event and the lights are on, with music and fresh popped kettle corn.  It's a great atmosphere and time for a walk together.  As it did at the zoo, the lights change color as we stroll along.



5th -  It's my son's birthday -- I cannot believe he is 37 years old.  I'm only 40 so how can that be?  Mister is at the office due to NO internet here at home so I'm pretty focused.  Actually some OCD takes over and the office is thoroughly gone through.  He's gone, remember.  What an opportunity for me.  As soon as I tackle that, I move onto the living room and start decorating the tree --- for the first time in my life -- alone.  What a strange feeling.  The internet dude arrives during this and by the time I have the tree finished, we have internet.  A message to Mister that it's safe to come home and I am off to the grocery store for the required party items.  Another first for me.  After not being able to locate 4 items on my list -- I lost my patience with the people working there (one of which had no idea what a kiwi was and worked in produce) and shoved my cart at them.  I am not proud, but I left the store.  I said I needed to rethink my "go-to" store and apparently that has now taken place.  Moving on, I am able to get everything I need at another (not one of the ones I tried the other day) place.  It was a bit more expensive though, so not sure it'll make top billing either.


Final house cleaning takes place (those pesky fake green needles are EVERYWHERE) and since I have people coming over tomorrow to sew, I take pictures of all the rooms before I set up the sweat shop.





That is a full day but it's not over.  My sweetheart is taking me to see the lights at the zoo tonight.  Come along in this Zoo Lights LINK as we finish out the day.

6th -  Bonnie Hunter's second clue releases today and I have friends coming over to sew.  As per my usual routine, I cannot sleep and am up before the clue is posted.  Finishing setting up the room, and locating my strips from the studio takes place and then Lana and Paula arrive.  Follow along with us in this  Clue 2 LINK



I managed to finish the clue and get my hair cut, return home and drag out my Jamestown Landing parts.  While dinner is baking, I set to work sewing with Paula.  Lana has left but Paula is spending the night with me so that she can play at the party tomorrow too.and make dinner for Mister, Paula, and I.  I am so happy to say that all of my HST's are now halves of the broken dish units.  I AM making progress.

After dinner, I broke down my sewing area and started in on the food prep for tomorrow.  I have two sets of cinnamon rolls rising and lots of fruit has been cut in addition to making the whole house smell like bacon.  It is what it is.  Paula kept sewing and has her TA-DA --- 90% sewn here today.  She has been focused too.


We all stay up until midnight so that we can have a HOT cinnamon roll.  The second batch is rising in the fridge and will be baked tomorrow morning.  Yummmm, these are just so dang good.  Even Mister stays up for one and he is not a midnight person.

7th -  Six a.m. and I'm up again.  We took the sewing stuff down last night, but setting up for today still needed to happen.  I have a lot to do still and start by baking cinnamon rolls.  If that doesn't wake people up, then they are sleeping sound.  It's PARTY DAY and you can follow along in this Post LINK.  It is just so much fun and I'm already thinking about next year.  Yes, I love it that much.  I also adore these women.  Thank you to Jennifer, Gwen, Stephanie, Lydia, Paula, Lori, and Stephannie for sharing my day and yourselves with me.  Look at all those cute ornaments.


8th -  A quiet morning working on pictures and blog posts from our vacation - yes, I am THAT far behind before I'm off to the 34th annual Girlfriends Party  That is your link to the fun.  Suzanne has had another successful event and I had a great time and walked away with an amazing gift.  Then, my sweetie found a new spot to visit and I met Sarah.  Please check out this Guitars and Growlers link as it really is a fun place to visit.


9th -  I am FOCUSED today.  Blogging, blogging, blogging all morning.  For my afternoon, I planted myself in the kitchen, put Friends on Netflix, and made three batches of Chex mix.  Each one takes a little over an hour so that's how long I was out there, stirring every 15 minutes.  To occupy myself, I took the remaining ornament kits from the party and made two more.  I also put a ribbon on the one I was working on at the party - my teaching sample.


10th -  Back at the computer today and I can finally say that November is done!  I am moving onto December and making sure I am on top of things.  This getting behind has got to stop.  Taking a break, I finish two of the ornaments and just one to go now - but it needs a different color ribbon and it's cold outside.  That and I'm too lazy to walk out to the studio to find ribbon.  I know -- pathetic.  With two upcoming Quilt-A-Longs that I'm hosting looming on the horizon, I grab books, paper, and a pen and settle in to work out schedules and my own cutting requirements.  That's another thing checked off the list.

A walk through the house makes me stop and just enjoy the glow of this time of year.  I love the feel in the house so very much.


11th -  I DID IT!!!!  All blogs are current and I am one happy girl.  Now to keep them that way.  As a reward, I am going to go and sew.  Catch ya in a few hours.

I pulled out Jamestown Landing and ALL of the broken dish units are complete.  Woot Woot!  It's a blue ribbon day for me.  I had about 1/3 of them already complete and the rest were tackled today.  It feels good to make progress but now I am stalled again until I complete the rest of the string blocks.  Dang, another machine will have to be pulled out, but not until next week.  I can't leave it set up while out of town Friday.


For my ending leader/ender --- Back to the Christmas Ohio Star, the oldest UFO I have.  It's actually in "set the center" stage.


12th -  My lists are dwindling and that has a calming effect on me.  Christmas cards are ready to mail tomorrow as I leave town for Abilene and my daughter's graduation.  The studio called for a few minutes and I pulled all the fabrics for the upcoming Witches Night Out QAL and for new great-nephew quilt.  I still need to pull for a grandson's "big boy" bed and have that made by spring.  Just when the UFO lists are starting to be worked on, new projects pop up.

A few minutes on my Ohio Star quilt has me making rows and starting the on-point setting.


This is taking me back to 1995 and the very beginnings of a quilt seed for me.  It has grown exponentially, but this quilt needs to be finished.  I can't decide if it will be hand quilted or just custom stitched on the long arm.  I'm seriously leaning towards hand, but that would mean some severe discipline.  I'm not sure I have that in me.

13th -  Friday the 13th and a full moon last night.  Bonnie's clue 3 released this morning and I am not working on it.  This car is on the way to Abilene for my daughter's graduation as she receives her Master's degree in Gifted and Talented Education.  Please, oh please, click on this Graduation LINK to share in her joy.  It has been the BEST day I've had in a very long time.


14th -  A swim meet this morning let me enjoy some additional family time and watch my grandsons do what they do.  Then a three hour drive back home.  Dinner with a friend of my sweethearts and that is the day.  Whew.  I want to sleep tonight.

15th -  It's Sunday and I'm up with the chickens for some reason.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I went to bed around 8:30 last night.  At any rate, I have been cutting on the mystery this morning, but now it is Sweetie Time.  We are walking down for some coffee and just as Mister shuts the door, he groans.  Our self-locking, drive me nuts, back door has locked us out.  This lock has NOT been an improvement.  The garage door also won't open and after standing there looking at each other for a minute, we shrug and head to the coffee shop.  These issues will still be here when we get back and I'll be nicer with food.  Ahhhh, Merry Mint Mocha -- I have missed you.

One the way home, a stop at Tuesday Morning allows these lovelies to come home with me at a crazy good deal.  These are future gifts in the making.  I'm so excited to have a nice gift at a reasonable price.  We also stop and pick up a new lock for the back door before heading home.  Next --- get into the house.  Fortunately -- an hour or so gives one time to plot the entry and it worked.  Now to fix the dang door.  Then the garage and soon we have a car and are able to run the required errands for this week.  I want to bake and make treats this week so that I can mail by Friday.  A trip to Costco gets me well on my way - along with Penzeys and Target.  Let's get making.


16th -  I am not sure what's up, but I have made lists and plans for the next couple of weeks.  Lots, lots, lots to do and for some reason, I am up and moving.  No lounging today.  Laundry has been sorted, Chex Mix is going, Cranberry Shiver is going, I'm made oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, and it's not even 8 yet.  Can I keep up the pace today?  During all this hustle and bustle, I have the parts for my mystery all cut.  Here is the Clue 3 LINK to follow along with my progress.  As soon as those are cut, I plan out a baby quilt and start cutting on it.  I am determined to use what I have on hand --- these flannels and some minky to back it.


All the pieces are cut, the Chex Mix is finished and I've sewn the entire clue for Frolic.  So many check marks today.  I feel so good that perhaps I'll even treat myself to some Shiver.  It seems like a great idea and then I'm off to tackle the last two items on today's list.  One will make it, the other ---- well, I may run out of steam.


One last item for today.  I pressed all the Witches Night Out fabrics while the ironing board was set up.  I'm getting excited for this one.  Now, dinner and a glass of wine.  Enough for one day.

17th -  For some crazy reason, I woke at 4 a.m. and simply could not shut the brain down enough to go back to sleep.  I have a HUGE list to tackle today and I guess it wants to get started.  Baking is on the agenda and gathering all the ingredients starts things in motion.  Setting out butter to soften gives me time to pursue other activities.  I am trying to stay very, very quiet so Mister can sleep and that limits my activities.  I order some gift cards to be delivered today and start painting the bears for my new granddaughter.  A little bit of cheating takes place as well as I start cutting some of Witches Night Out.  All of this before 7, when I am joined by my sweetheart.


From 7 until almost 5 --- I am in the kitchen the ENTIRE time.  Over 40 dozen cookies are ready to package up and mail.  I have one more batch of dough in the fridge and 3 more to make tomorrow.  I also want to do some peanut brittle and coconut macaroons, but both of those are weather dependent.  There is a possibility of some shipping tomorrow, depending on another early start.  Today's tally:  Lime-Poppy Seed Shortbread (6 dozen), Lemon-Ginger Shortbread (6 dozen), Snickerdoodles (10 dozen),


Almond Sugar Cookies (3 dozen), Oatmeal Raisin (15 dozen), Gingersnaps (8 dozen).  I am totally done for the day and just want a hot shower and to put my feet up.  Tomorrow is another day and the list is still very long.  More check marks coming my way.


18th -  Well Good Morning!  This very sore lady is embarking on another kitchen day.  The list is showing an end in sight, thrilling me.  First things first:  My sweetie hasn't had a breakfast treat since the party.  Today it'll be Gingerbread Scones.  It's a new recipe and goes together easily BUT, definitely not a scone.  It's more like soft gingerbread cut in triangles.  At any rate, they are yummy.

Now, onto the cookies.  Before closing up shop yesterday, I put one batch of dough in the fridge so that I could start right away today.  Applesauce Jumbles are in and I'm moving onto the next two, Banana Spice and Russian Teacakes (some call these Mexican Wedding Cakes).  The applesauce jumbles get iced with a brown butter glaze.  Before and after. (They also have dried cherries in them.)


 By one o'clock, I have completed 4 1/2 dozen of the jumbles, 7 1/2 dozen of the Banana Spice (1/2 with nuts, 1/2 without), and 6 1/2 dozen of the teacakes.  The kitchen has been cleaned up and I'm off to the post off for mailing boxes.  I stop and grab a few more little tins as well.

The plan is to use the large tubs that you can see stacked in on the table by the tree.  Those will go to three families, one family box will contain lots of small tins, and the fourth box will also have tins in it.  The last two families will have theirs hand delivered on trays. Whew.  The picture blurred, but here is one of the  tubs.  (My daughter had left extras of the Jello cookies from the party and each tub receives one and I still have some for us.)  Some cookies don't show here as, in this blurry picture, you can see a small tub to the left -- it contains the peanut butter mice.  A crazy whirlwind ensues as four boxes are packed up and off to the post office.  I still have one packed and awaiting it's last item.


That last item?  Well, if I am shipping, it makes sense to include the new bears for Mairead.  The evening is spent doing a little painting and I have them to the spray stage (yes, past the night of the walking dead look) but that will wait for tomorrow -- please let the temperature rise just enough to get the job done,  have time to dry, and ship this package.  It could happen.  At this point -- we attempt to watch a movie, but I'm falling asleep in it and call it a night --- it's 8:45 p.m.  Hahahahaha.

19th -  One more day, one more day, one more day.  It's kind of my mantra this morning.  I have stalked the weather sites and discovered that around 10 this morning, the temps will be warm enough to spray the bears AND the humidity will drop enough for me to make the last two items on my list.  However, until then, I am keeping busy by cutting and organizing on the upcoming Witches Night Out quilt-a-long that begins in a little over two weeks.  I know how hectic it's going to get with company and life, so I'm trying to get a jump on things just a wee bit at a time.

The weather guessers were spot on and I'm able to get started.  One coat of spray to the bears and I'm moving onto the peanut brittle.  I have a recipe that was given to me YEARS ago by a lady named Ying Custer and it is the best ever.


TA-DA --- we let it set up outside as the humidity was lower than in the house and it worked perfectly.  So, so happy.  I then make a second batch and, although I get it a bit darker and it has more peanuts, Mister LOVES it.  In the interest of full disclosure, the peanuts were expensive and I didn't want to waste them, so altered the recipe a bit in order to use them up in a second batch.

Another coat of spray to the bears before moving onto Mister's request:  Coconut Macaroons.  It's been years since I made these, but he proclaims them perfect.  I guess that's all that matters.


My kitchen is cleaned up, I've put away all the painting materials, and the bears are dry enough to package up and ship inside the Christmas box.  The only problems is that I can't find them.  That's right -- they have vanished.  I have looked EVERYWHERE and Mister is on a conference call.  After 20 minutes, I give him this note.  He mutes long enough to tell me where they are.  Then the note magically reappears in the kitchen.

Hallelujah!!!  I have everything mailed that needed to be.  What a great feeling!!  It's only the 19th --- so many years I'm struggling past this to finish.  Now -- what else can I get done today.  It's only 4, after all.


I finished cutting the colors on Witches Night Out -- just the background left  -- then made dinner and called it a day.

20th -  It's Friday and that means I get to sew.  I have earned it this week!!!  But first, to finish up the last ornament that I am giving as a gift.  I LOVE the rocking horse I added.  Now onto sewing.   However,  the dining room (which is my cutting table when the weather is not friendly to using the studio), is still covered with the last bits of Witches Night Out.  All I have left is the background pieces.  I spent some time last night making a master list of them all and that is helping a great deal.  Upon completion, I need a way to keep these blocks together and the amount of plastic bags that are being used in my house is starting to get to me.  Several years back, Allison Bayer showed me a paper plate trick and I've never really felt that it was the perfect solution until today.   (She shared this method in a post here on the blog back then -- here's your LINK to Those Paper Plates Post if you want to check it out further.  I'm not using them quite the way she did, but the plates are working for this task.

Now, a quick clear of the table and I'm ready to start today's clue on Frolic - Bonnie Hunter's 2019 mystery.  Some time at the sewing machine is definitely needed.  I've missed it.  More cutting takes place first, but then vrooom, vrooom.  Here is the LINK to all my fun on today's clue.  Are you sewing along?


21st -  It's a travel day for us as we are heading to Houston for Val's Christmas Party and to see all of her wonderful trees.  With an early arrival, we make a stop at Spring Antique mall and here is the wonderful Antique LINK to share in the goodies that caught my attention.  After about an hour, we are ready to party and make our way to the house. Meeting us at the door are the warmest hugs any girl could ever ask for.  You can share in our fun with this Rest of the Day LINK and please do look, as her trees are amazing.  Yes, she does have one in her sewing room, but I didn't have my camera with me when I viewed it.


Seeing friends is even better than seeing the trees and I am so thankful to my sweetie for making the time to bring me here.  These women definitely hold my heart --- strongly.

After the party, a beer and more time with great friends.  This gets to be listed as a pretty great day.  Everyone should have these moments in life.  Honestly.  I love that we are not afraid to get in the car to be with one another.  Six ladies -- from Athens, Spring, Round Rock, Gatesville, Dallas and Houston --- gathering for just a few hours of love and support.

22nd -  Mister and I have some time to spend in Houston before driving back to Dallas so the Houston Zoo, Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern, and another local brewery use that right up.  Here is the wonderful LINK to all that we are able to enjoy.  Please take the time to check it out as the cistern is really, really cool and the only one like it in America.


23rd - Okay --- the days are counting down and I still feel like I have a lot to do.  With the morning spent developing pictures, writing blog posts and doing laundry, I can now turn to some sewing.  Woot woot.  I'm also down to the last couple episodes of Friends and want to finish that up before it leaves Netflix on the first.  My Ohio Star top is coming together -- bit by bit --along with listening to the show.  After a couple of hours, I have cookie trays to prepare for delivery this evening.  One of the drop off spots is Guitars and Growlers and it's Musical Bingo night so we settle in for a fun evening of Christmas spirit.

24th - My sweetie has to work today and I'm finishing up the final gifts along with finding some time to sew.

My first task is to add a little note to the label of each quilt that is being gifted tomorrow. 

Once that is accomplished, I am determined to set the remainder of my Ohio Star top.  Yay!!!  As I iron the seams, the drawing of the cutting lines for the scallops takes place as well.  Why maneuver the top around more than it has to be.  The actual trimming will take place after quilting.  It's such a delicate looking top.  I can't believe this has been in progress since 1995.  It won't be finished this year, but I do have hope for 2020.  Twenty-five years is probably long enough.


In my crazy "hoarder" fashion, all the fabric I bought for this is still with it, plus some that I must have held onto for one bizarre reason or another.  There is enough of the print that I used to make the binding and with scallops, that means bias binding -- which I truly dislike making -- a TON.  Taking way longer than I want, it is finally sewn, cut (continuous loop style) and ready for pressing.   Now for the back.  What else is in this bag of fabric?  I think it's best to use up what is in here as it will keep the age of the quilt pretty constant (that and the budget won't allow for new fabric right now).  Even though these are darker fabrics and the top is white, I've grabbed some batting and made a little sandwich. Nothing shows through so I'm running with it.  I get this far before Mister is off work and ready to enjoy the afternoon/evening.  I "think" I'm just about 2" short on each side to have the width I need.  It's spot on right now, but I'm not really comfortable with that and I really want to keep the scallops.  I have enough of the green still to make 2" strips for each side, but framing that way while quilting has never been my strong suit.  It's more likely that the inner vertical seams will come off and the strips added in.  That's for another day though.


My leader/ender while making the binding and backing is the label and I have to leave it uncut as it will have to be made to fit the scallops.  At this point, it's time to clean up and go play with my love.  We are off to share Christmas Joy and you can join us in this Christmas Eve LINK (Please do as the light display pictures are pretty cool.)


25th - Merry Christmas!!!  I'm up early, just waiting for my sweetheart.  We are hitting the road to Abilene and spending the day surrounded by loved ones.  I hope you are doing the same and letting the joy and spirit of the day encompass you.  Please click on this POST to share in our fun.  Otherwise, here are the smiles when quilts are given.





26th -  Every now and then I sleep.  I know it seems funny, but this just doesn't happen for me a lot.  This morning it was 9 a.m. before I crawled out of bed.  Wow.  Then some work on meal and activity  plans for this weekend, after which I climbed back into bed to watch a movie.  Yes, that sounds spoiled and was a bit, but it felt dang good.

I managed to crawl out and take a picture of the amazing gifts we received, make a pavlova, go to the grocery store, and return home to make another cookie tray and spend the evening with my sweetheart.  I could have accomplished much more, but Scary Lady was out and about and needed to recharge with a quiet movie to herself.

27th - Up super early.  Just couldn't sleep.  Worked on blog posts for year end and new theme for next year all while constantly refreshing the screen and hoping for an early Clue 5 release.  It finally arrives and I am instantly at the cutting table.  Here is the Clue 5 LINK  to see all the fun I have had.


Cleaning house and prepping dinner occupies the next three hours before we are off to the zoo to meet up with Jen's family.  I really managed to get a few fun pictures along the way.  Click on this Family LINK to share in all of our fun today.  It's been grand being together and we could not have asked for a nicer day.  I'm smiling inside and out.


28th - Another family day filled with arcade, museum, and movie fun.

I tried a new recipe for macaroni and cheese and it's just so good.  I'll share it here for you:  https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/macaroni-cheese/  It was pretty simple and is very cheesy.  I think eating right after mixing would be possible if you cooked the macaroni fully the first time around, but baked is pretty dang good too.  A new item in my wheelhouse is always welcome.

The night's movie is Maleficent 2: Mistress of Evil and I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it even without seeing the first one.

29th -  There are bodies all over my house, but oh too soon, it's quiet as they have all departed, leaving us to put together some trays of food for our gathering with Mister's family.  We have a nice time, but my camera never seems to make an appearance.  Drat.


30th -  Good  morning.  The year is winding down and I can't sleep in today.  Some early morning picture developing and blogging has me all current once again.  Well, I still have a few old posts to tweak, but other than that -- things are pretty good in this department.  What shall we do with today?  Mister is off work and I'm sure we'll fill it with fun.

The coffee shop walk takes place and then home to work on stuff.  Isn't that a great word?  Stuff.  A little of this and a little of that.  I decided to get set up for some stringing the next coupel of weeks.  Therefore, Danielle came out to play.  We are going to be spending some time together the next few months and she may even be a permanent part of the den as we are not expecting any visitors for awhile now.  Once she came out of hiding, it didn't take me long to bring out Jamestown Landing and count how many blocks I still need -- 82.  Time to string.  Well, not today, but I'm set up now.

We have Talking Turkey coming up as a Quilt-A-Long the beginning of February and since mine is mid-stream, I thought perhaps I should check on just where I am at with it.  When years go by, it's hard to remember what you did and why.

After an hour or more, all the pieces have been counted and packaged together.  The strings and papers have been located as well and I'm ready to play.  I know what still needs to be cut and that I need to find a backing for this.  All good jobs that will take place next month.



 We are off to the Plano/McKinney area as Mister has located a couple of 301's that he wants to check on and, as they say, when opportunity knocks, I guess we should open the door.  Stops at a dairy farm, Japanese Dollar Store and an antique mall all happen along the way.

These two lovelies do come home with us and I will be selling a mocha longbed (not this one) soon if you are in the DFW area and interested.  Contact me.

On the way home, I remember that it is Music Bingo night at Guitars and Growlers and a quick pit stop is  made to play.  No winning card tonight, but lots of fun.


31st - It is New Year's Eve -


I woke early again and after tackling some office chores, I was about to move to the next thing on my list when Bonnie Hunter did a surprise post and give us another clue to her mystery.  That changed everything and off I went.  Brief moments to make breakfast and lunch were the only times I stopped working and by 1:30, it was complete.  Back to my regularly scheduled day.  You can peek in on my fun with this Clue 6 LINK

Yesterday, I remembered a small block project that was in the UFO bin and retrieved it for leader/enders.  I usually just use another part of the project I'm working on for these, but this next year I wish to see if I can complete something extra along the way.  It will take patience, but I'm going to give it the old college try.  These B.A.D. (Block-A-Day) units are from and OLD challenge I was in and fell off.  I'm back on.  The best part is they use things just sitting around -- my 1 1/2" squares and 2 1/2" squares.  I have LOTS of both that need to go somewhere.  It turns out that I did make over 50 of these blocks, leaving me with about 130 remaining.  I would like a total of 18 in each color way and that's a worthy goal!


 The yearly posts are up -- and that ends my time in the office today.  Hallelujah!!  Here is the 2019 Non-Quilt Items Finished POST and the Finished Quilts 2019 - LINK.  Overall, I'm pretty pleased with what was accomplished this year in addition to all the amazing fun I've had with family and friends.

So, now we are at the end of the year and I want to watch a movie and relax the rest of the day.  Perhaps a bubble bath, who knows.  It does mean that this post can come to a close and join the others from 2019.  It also means that it is time for a new theme introduction.  Here ya go:


The 20's are Roaring Again.   Shall we join in?  What would that mean?  Well, for one thing, it was a time of great changes.  Let's start there.  Make some changes.  How about tackling a project that has intimidated you -- change and intimidate it?  How about changing your sewing room around?  How about changing some of your habits --- step outside the box -- join a group, a bee, a retreat?  Each month I will make a change and ask you to join in on either your own change or with me.  NO - they are not resolutions.  They are changes.  There IS a difference.  Let's ROAR again --- including perhaps a flapper party somewhere along the way -- it's on my list.  You see, it was also the era of wonderful nonsense.  Perhaps make that a part of you changes.  Look out retreaters.

I started making changes last year in anticipation and pulled away from a few events -- but added different ones.  Viva la Difference!!!  That alone can make a valued injection of energy into our lives.  My first roaring change for January will be to stop letting the long arm intimidate me.  I'm going to get to know it better.  Can you do the same with a machine, a ruler, a fabric you just don't know what to do with?  Give it a whirl.  Make a change!  Roar along with me.

Thank you so much for reading each month and I wholeheartedly give you kudos if you made it this far.  See ya in 2020 and with my change in place, perhaps some of these items will finally get checked off.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Baby afghan - DONE
Ceramic Bears - DONE
Frolic Mystery - Clues 2 , 3,  4,   5, ✓ 6,
Greyson Quilt - planned and cut DONE
John Paul Quilt - designed and colors selected DONE
Witches Night Out QAL - fabrics selected, pressed, and cut DONE

UFO Items for This Month:

Ohio Star - set and backing/binding made DONE
1 Row by Row block -
*Jamestown Landing - All Broken Dish units finished, strings ready to go
*Smith Mountain Morning - quilted and bound -


Links to Previous 2019 Monthly Posts:

January 2019 Quilt Update
February 2019 Quilt Update
March 2019 Quilt Update
April 2019 Quilt Update
May 2019 Quilt Update
June 2019 Quilt Update
July 2019 Quilt Update
August 2019 Quilt Update
September 2019 Quilt Update
October 2019 Quilt Update
November 2019 Quilt Update

No comments:

Post a Comment