Sunday, June 30, 2019

2019 June Quilt Update


Hello and welcome to the sixth Monthly Quilt Update of 2019.  Have you joined us in our theme for this year?  Do you know what it is?  Here is your hint and if you want to know all about it -- here is your LINK.  Always remember that in this group all links open in a separate window so you don't lose your place here AND there are no ads or popups EVER.

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.



In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balance change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

1st - One peek at my calendar and I know that this month is going to absolutely zoom by.  There are very few free days and I also know that will keep me from sewing productivity.  I almost said that it would keep me from accomplishing much, but I always have to keep perspective.  Nurturing relationships is ALWAYS accomplishing something.  With that said, I am off and running today --- I have family arriving and am also hosting a Red Hat Event.  Let the craziness begin.  To read all about the event I planned, click on this POST and I promise you'll smile.


As soon as the event is over, I am racing across town to hug my daughter and 2 granddaughters.  It's been a LONG time since we were together and I've been looking forward to this for months now.  You can follow along with out exploits in this Days 1&2 LINK.  As for creativity today, well . . . does chalk on the driveway count?


Ahhh, my cup runneth over tonight.



The day is topped off by playing in the rain.  Pure fun at it's best.


2nd - Out and about in Dallas --- The zoo and all the wonders it holds.


I even fed tortoises today!!!  How fun.


Two daughters at once.  Feeling blessed.


3rd - A new-to-me event is on tap for today.  It's worth a peek at this Candytopia POST just to admire the amazing creative talent that we witnessed, all while having a great time.



Family moments made truly wonderful


and followed up by nature's beauty.  Ya really should check out that post --- it was a wonderful day.


4th -   On the go once again today.  Here is your  POST to follow along with us over the next couple of days.


5th - Are there some spots that just calm your soul?  The Fort Worth Water Gardens is one such place for me and has been ever since the first time my sweet Mister took me there.



The best part of the day --- adding more family to the mix.  Love, love, love.



6th - We are definitely doing the girly thing today.  I am pretty thankful to have this many chickas in the house.  I have been wanting to go to the DMA and see the wonderful special exhibit that is currently showing.  You can see and learn all that we do in this  Dior LINK .  It is just so crazy cool and full of fiber content.  I also have the Final POST for the time I am spending with my gals.  Lots of fun and happy moments.


7th - Are you feeling a little like there isn't anything quilty in my life this month.  I guess that would be a fair call, but I do look for it at all times.  This mural was spotted in Deep Ellum today ---- perfect.


8th -  Our time with together has come to an end and, yes, there are tears.  It is just so hard to be so far apart.  After dropping the girls at the airport, we stop at an art fair, and wander looking for anything that we just absolutely must have.  Nothing pops out, but my tummy is definitely grumbling.



Coffee please.


Now, that's better.


From here, it's off to spend the day helping Mister's family with their garage sale (where I found some special treats for Stephannie and loaded an old family dresser into my car) before stopping to check on Mom.  Somehow, a beer manages to be found as well.  What a jam-packed day.

9th - With a new dresser in my car and no place to put it in the house, much movement had to take place.  I have moved several sewing machines to new homes (and have decided to rehome my Necchi - stay tuned next month if that interests you and here is the LINK when I bought it to peek ahead of time.  It does have a cabinet that goes with it too) and hauled some out to the studio in order to get the new dresser in.  While I've been doing all this, Mister has been mowing the lawn and getting the yard in order.  We bring the dresser in and put it all back together.  Oh my, I do so love it.  I have things in the room to still finish putting up, but it's a definite start.


We no sooner finish all of that and are hit with the craziest storm ever.  No power and what a crazy mess.  This Storm LINK will share the videos and craziness.


10th - No power still.  Mister has gone into Irving to work at the corporate office and I'm kind of on my own.  We drove and charged the phones last night, so I do have that, but data is spotty and calls are being dropped as well.  I've discovered that I live in a relatively dark house and cannot work on a lot of my projects as a result of that.  I opt for reading a book and hope that this doesn't continue too long or I will lose the few free days I have this month.  During the afternoon, the sun came through the dining room window and I am able to cut out my  new purse.  Yay -- something creative.  It's made from cork and I'm really excited to work on it.



I decided to walk down to the coffee shop since we saw that they had power last night when we were driving around.  The streets are packed with tree carnage everywhere.


Look closely --- stacks everywhere from yards that have been worked on.



It's a half mile down to the coffee shop and no one down there has any power anymore.  Drat.  The website is indicating sometime Wednesday now --- I guess this means I walk back home and start unloading some of the more fragile items in the fridge and freezer.

While doing so, I fall and hurt my leg like crazy.  Yes, I have a picture, but out of consideration won't show it.  Suffice to say, there is a goose egg on my shin that is about 1/2" high and 1 1/2" wide.  My neck, shoulders, and multiple other parts are gonna hurt like crazy in a couple of days.

Now, I really AM taking up camp reading.  That's it for today for sure.  By the time Mister gets home, gives me pain medication and charges our phones, we are done in for the day.  It's amazing how early one goes to bed when the entire area of the city is dark.  There are 250,000 - that's a quarter of a million people - in our area in the dark tonight.

11th - Still no power - Mister back to office -- Read another book -- I pulled out fabrics for lounge pants but really can't do much more because of the fall.  I am so sad over this mess.  These were going to be my sewing days.  Took the rest of the perishables to the trash (without falling this time) and wouldn't you know it -- within an hour the power was back on.  Yep, rolling with the flow.


12th - Yay!  Mister is home today BUT the Day 2 pain has hit.  On meds reading another book.  That is all.

13th - Day 3 pain is real and Mister has to go back into the office for meetings.  Drat.  The fourth and final book in the series is now behind me.  I'm starting to move a wee bit better.

14th - It's Flag Day and the flag is up outside.  My camera comes out of hiding to celebrate the day.  I'm actually up to working on the hundreds of pictures that need to be developed from earlier this month.

15th - The middle of the month is here.  I have nothing checked off my list.  Dang --- and today will not be any different.  I finally feel good enough to leave the house and am spending the day with my sweetheart.  A new coffee shop, the zoo, helping Mom H and a visit to OHB.   You can see the amazingly cool picture in this POST.



16th - Mister is working on the yard again and I'm playing catch up with my personal blog.  As soon as my sweet man finishes, another round of storms graces our area and blows more branches down.  I still haven't replaced the groceries we lost and ordered Chinese delivery before the storm hit.  Poor guy arrived right during the storm.


17th -  I have a grandson coming to visit and haven't finished putting the bedroom back together.  First up is to re-home my turtles.  My grandfather built these shelves and my sweetheart repaired them and painted them to match the room.  A little bit of work and I have them hung and filled.


Other pictures needed to be hung/moved and my pin cushion collection took up residency where the turtles had vacated.  If you look close, you can see them just above the dresser.  Yeah, I know it's not centered over it anymore.  It couldn't be helped as I had to fill the corner with a sewing cabinet in order to make room for the dresser.




I have one little area holding sewing items now --- it had been covered with all the pincushions.  Life is better.  I've moved the New York pictures to the master bedroom and called it good in there too.

I bit the bullet and shortened the lounge pants pattern so that I could pick up the mess in that room as well.  When I get a chance, I can just cut now.  Racing through the house making sure everything is cleaned up is the final task before a drive to Weatherford and back ensues and I have returned with Jared for a few days.  Grocery shopping and dinner at In N Out.  Yep, fancy stuff here.

18th - With a sleepy grandson, I have some time in the morning for blogging and have finally finished the first 500 pictures.  I am really wanting to get caught up.  Jared and I are off to a movie for the afternoon and plan an arcade visit with Grandpa this evening.  Check out all our fun this week in Jared's Visit LINK.


19th -  It's time for the annual doctor visits and after an early morning check up and trip to the vampires to give my blood, I am back home and making pickles - all while Jared sleeps.  I haven't really shared many food recipes lately, but that is changing here --- make yourself some Garlic Dill Refrigerator Pickles by checking in on this Pickle POST.

We're having a laid back day and I'm taking advantage of it to write on the labels of all the quilts finished the last few months.  I've already done the research and it's just a matter of writing one right after the other.






As soon as that is done, I con Jared into holding them all for outdoor pictures and he is a great sport about it.  I promise not to include him in them but I catch him as he flips Garden Party over for a shot of the back.


And he agrees to smile for one at the end.  The very end.


I now have a pile of quilts in the living room that need to be folded and have homes found for them as my armoire and all the dresser drawers are completely full of quilts already.  It gets done and there are project boxes to rehome now.  Perhaps under the longarm when it gets set up.  With final pictures taken, I can finally put up the last post to Bonnie's 2018 mystery.  Here is the Good Fortune Final LINK.


20th - A VERY lazy morning.  Once Jared came alive, we made brownies, watched a movie, and rearranged schedules  Grandpa got the ball rolling by suggesting we head out to the studio and put the longarm back together.

I am so thankful for the help from both of them.  I can start to move forward out here next month and perhaps even figure out how to work this thing.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's almost Summer Mystery time and I stayed up pretty late working on it.  Be watching.



 21st -  The last of  the pictures have been developed and I'm caught up there.  Whew.  Should I stop taking them?  Jared and I experienced an escape room which is a great time and then the return drive to Weatherford takes place and I return with another grandson.


Jon is here for a few days.  Just after Jon arrived, I received a call from my doctor about some blookwork issues.  Wonderful.  Ten days and a retest.  After dinner, a stop at the mall and I spot these two lovelies at the All Saints store.  Boot machines?  Here is Jon's Visit LINK to keep up with us this week.

22nd -  Grandpa can play today and wer are on the go the entire time.  From White Rock Coffee to the National Videogame Museum to lunch at Tayba to an antique mall.  I don't find much at the mall but a couple of fun items can be shared.



One booth really took me back in time as I used to do macrame to earn extra money many, many eons ago.  I didn't do the chairs, like this, but I did make full length hanging tables, with or without internal lights added.



 23rd - Busy, busy days.  Jon has a list and we have limited time to fulfill it.  After a quick cereal breakfast, the Children's Aquarium has our attention.


The DMA is another stop and I have a chance to see an exhibit on The Silk Road.  Here is your link to the DMA post


24th - Jon and I are cooking today and I have an amazing Recipe POST to share with you.  Pear-Mascarpone French Toast.  Ya gotta try it.

Another stop at the water gardens and I cannot explain how happy this picture makes me feel.

I return him to his mother so he can start his new job tomorrow.  Dang.  The drive home is a bit lonely now, but I'm ready for leftovers and relaxation.

25th -  When friends call, I really try to respond and today works out beautiful to spend the day with Lori.  We just walk and talk and walk and walk and ride and talk and ride and talk.  It's perfect.  Peek in on our day with this LINK.


There is a chance on a black 301 tonight so Mister and I drive up to McKinney to give it a shot.  I'm pretty bummed.  They wanted $175 - no bobbin case and the entire plate that holds the bobbin housing was missing.  No negotiation at all.  It is what it is.  At any rate, we stop by The Yard for dinner and a beer.  Another day is in the books.

26th -  It's just another Mammo Tuesday.  I know, that's not quite right for the song, but I gotta get an earworm going somehow.  Upon my return, I receive another phone call from the doctor and more bad blood results.  I guess the vampires will take more next Monday now.  Wonderful.  I'm pretty moody but I do stop and pick up paint cards for the upcoming mystery.  Then it is back to blogging.

27th - Between laundry and the computer, my day passes.  I finalized mystery information and am about ready to go.  Are you ready?

28th - I took Mom H to the doctor today and then managed to drop off Stephannie's gift at the office.  I hope she loves it.  Still at the computer but an hour of my time is spent cutting out the first pair of lounge pants from this slinky fabric that slides all over the floor while I try to pin.


It gets done, but I am reminded of why I quit sewing clothes years ago.  I truly DESPISE cutting out the patterns.


All the pictures are completely done and in the posts.  It's time to just publish away.

29th -  A day with my sweetie helping his mom and a few errands along the way.  I have an invitation to join friends Monday and just may do that.  Can I get everything done that needs to be before that?  Type girl, type.

30th -  And we're here!  The last day of the month and I have almost nothing to mark off on my list.  In all fairness, a lot of behind the scenes stuff went on with the mystery, but I can't really talk about or show much of that.  It's a typical Sunday here BUT --- drumroll please ---- the Introduction to Sapphire Blues hit the blog today.  Are you going to play along.  Please do --- it's fabulous and I took the extra precaution this time of showing it to several others who I knew would be honest with me so I know that's true.  Stay creative, my friends and July will hopefully give me a bit of time to create along with relationship building.  Here is your link to the Sapphire Blues Summary Page and one for the Introduction as well.


UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Jelly Roll Race binding on and done -
Purse - Cut out
Xing -
Sandcastles -
Daybreak -
Straits of Macinac -
Pfefferneusse -
Ruby Slippers (i.e. Emerald City) -
Idaho Square Dance -
Dawn's Early Light -
5 pair lounge pants - 1 cut out

UFO Items: (No, this is not the entire list)

Amish Bookmarks bound -
2 BOM - Whimm's - quilted as QAYG 
Ohio Star - set and backing/binding made
1 Row by Row block -
*Jamestown Landing -
*Scrap Crystals -
*Smith Mountain Morning -
*Midnight Flight -

UFO Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set -
Red/White embroidery between blocks on WW finished -
Hand Quilting --


Links to Previous 2019 Monthly Posts:

January 2019 Quilt Update
February 2019 Quilt Update
March 2019 Quilt Update
April 2019 Quilt Update
May 2019 Quilt Update

No comments:

Post a Comment