Sunday, June 30, 2019

Sapphire Blues - Introduction



Sapphire and the color blue tend to be synonymous.  Although many sources claim that its name is of Greek derivation, its root seem most likely to be from ancient Hebrew - which describes it as a deep blue stone.

I've had the pattern for this years mystery for a few months now, but just couldn't find the color inspiration I needed until a trip to Houston last month.  As I wandered the shops in Spring, TX, waiting for something to just jump out at me, I found myself thinking about the upcoming quilt festival down there in November.  It is the 45th Anniversary of the show and they are spotlighting blue and white for their Sapphire Celebration.  Perhaps I should join in.  Add to that, the indigo seemed to be calling my name.

That, all by itself, seems to be a great reason to work with blues this year but . . . there is more . . .




To the ancient and medieval world, Sapphire of heavenly blue signified the height of celestial hope and faith, and was believed to bring protection, good fortune and spiritual insight.  It was a symbol of power and strength, but also of kindness and wise judgement.

I was sold.  Would it work with my pattern?  I had my fingers crossed and when given the chance to plug the colors in --- I was stopped in my tracks.  Oh my goodness.

Do you pay attention to the amount of blue in your daily life?

For those of you who have followed me in the past --- I'm going to say up front that I'm not on drugs this year and when I say I'm in love with the pattern, well, it's the truth.  I've even taken the extra-ordinary approach of asking a few people whom I know will be honest with me about it and it's a go.  ALSO -- if you really don't care for medallion quilts -- it isn't one.

Are you ready?

For those who are new to a mystery and wanting to try one for the first time, here is the skinny:  This post releases the colors and yardage.  Beginning on September 1st (a Sunday) and every Saturday from then until we finish, a "clue" will be released and posted here on the blog.  It also will be linked in a few Facebook groups.  If you sign up for the email notifications, you'll know the minute the post is live.  Each clue is a step in the making of the quilt top.  You will be given cutting and sewing instructions for the week and can post your progress so that we can all share in the excitement.  NO, you do not get to see what the quilt will look like until the big reveal at the end.  You just have to trust and rest assured that you will learn something and perhaps challenge yourself a bit.  At all times you will be able to access the clues via the Summary page which has a tab at the top of the blog and a link.


I made a trip back to Montana last month and between that and the fact that I was so blessed to be able to sky dive this past spring, this mystery came perilously close to being called Big Sky Blues.  Can you see why?  Oh the blue, the wonderful blue and all that that memory entails for me.

Well, let's get down to the nitty gritty, shall we?  Can I just say what colors you should get, or would paint samples help?  Since I'm here, I guess I'll grab some real quick.


And here ya go.  The numbers of the cards are listed below with the yardages, IF you think you really need them.  Contrast is just the main item here --- not the exact color.


Soooo - you may say that sapphires are not always blue.  That is VERY true.  How about these options?  Neutrals can also be cream or grey.  It's your project and ALL will work wonderfully.  I'd stay away from yellow (hard to get the dark/light contrast and still use a neutral).


I'm still trying oh so hard to work from stash, BUT I did do a lot of neutral enhancing this year.  Just look how much fun these will be?  The card is PPU5-09 Bleached Linen and you will need 4 yards.  I only padded that 1/4 of a yard - mistakes happen so it's your call.


Next is PPU15-01  Nobility Blue.  I AM going scrappy but you do not have to.  If you do, just make sure that you keep the contrast going at all times.  One of these may  not have made the final cut, time will tell.  You will need at least 4 yards.


Last - PPU15-12 Bluebird.  Staying scrappy here and you will need a minimum of 3 yards.  That's it.  Easy Peasy.  Just grab and go.  You're gonna love it.


Tools?  I am going to use the Tri-Recs ruler but you can use whatever you have that gets you the same results.  Your call.

You have 2 months to make decisions, prepare, and fondle your fabric.  I can't wait for you to get started on this mystery.  What have I forgotten?

The paint samples are Behr from Home Depot and the quilt will finish at approx. 80 x 92.  Nope, it's not square -- another step out for me.  Picks your colors and get going.  I already know I have one friend who is going with purple.  How about you?

7 comments:

  1. Well... I am just now finishing the binding from last year's mystery because i've made a lot of quilts since last year. And I was NOT going to do this year's mystery - BUT - I really like BLUE! So - I'm seriously contemplating joining in the fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do --- it's absolutely gorgeous and I've given a few sneak peeks to amazing reviews. It's a new direction for me.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be technically challenged....I can't find the chip numbers and yardages....help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to help you. Before each color of fabric I share, I list the paint chip number and the yardage. Perhaps view it on a computer?

      Delete
  4. I'm getting a late start, but hope to catch up quickly. I am thinking I'll just use fat quarters to create a scrappy look. Will the dimensions of fat quarters (18x22ish) be wide/long enough for the sizes I'll need to cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they will work just fine, that is what I used as well.

      Delete