Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Good Fortune - The REVEAL - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt




1/4 -- The reveal is out!!  Woohoo.  I only wish I could work on it today, but I'll definitely get to it this week.  I am up to my ears in reorganizing and purging AND I haven't finished clue 7.  It all takes time.

1/7 - I have found my sewing machine again and back at it. Clue 7 is complete and I'm ready to work on the finale.  Woot woot!  Gathering my pieces and parts ----




And I have units ready to turn into four patch blocks.


Back to my stacking techniques.  I just keep piling and making it so the same parts aren't in each square and soon I have a small design board filled with blocks ready to go.  You see, I can do this part while spending time with my sweetheart in the evening.


Nice little stacks everywhere as I move right onto the second set of blocks.


1/8 - Sheer determination is mine today.  I have set my sights on these blocks and start the webbing process.  Yes, I web each block and I work the whole stack at once, kind of.  I add a block each time I have sewn parts onto the previous one.

By evening, it is "Mister time" and I have completed both sets of star blocks and made a huge dent in the first set of the string blocks.

1/9 - Between all other projects, I just barely find enough time to finish up the first set of string blocks today, but I sure do like them.


1/11 - Since my grand mess in the living room is behind me now (check out this LINK to see what I am talking about), I can focus just on sewing today.  The second set of string blocks is FINISHED.  Yay -- the forward movement is amazing.


3/20 - Notice how time flies.  Yep, it's been over two months since I worked on this and I am now kicking myself in the backside.  I want these finished by April's classes.  Today --- both layouts are complete, with extra blocks to spare.



3/25 - A few other projects and new messes needed to be dealt with, so after four days, I am back here webbing away on these tops.  I am so happy that they are not on point layouts so that I can, indeed, web away to my heart's content.


#2 is webbed - yes I'm a bit out of order here.


However, #1 is started at least before I call it a day.


3/26 - no time like the present to keep moving on this.  I had wrote myself a schedule for this week in the hopes of actually meeting a few goals.  It says first borders need to go onto these today.  Well, dang -- I haven't finished the webbing.  Sew girl, sew.


Straight onto borders without hardly stopping to breathe.  With 2 quilts, it is 8 borders that need to be made.



My studio is such a disaster that I can't even set up an ironing board inside.  So . . . . the next best thing.  Take it all outside.


I've met today's goal.  All 8 borders are ON.  Wow.  Oh sure, seeing the pictures let's me know that they are all on upside down.  Perfect.  Tonight I will be ripping all EIGHT borders off again.



3/27 - Another set of borders is on the schedule for today but first I have to reattach the ones from yesterday.  Grrrr.  Here we go.  I'm not sure that in the big scheme of things it would make a huge difference, but I fixed it.



Now to move onto today's task.  Border Number 2.  OH MY GOODNESS!! It takes forever to get these made.  So many triangles.  Once I sew the 8 strips of each into 4 borders each, I am ready to attach.















This is a case of "let the feed dogs do their thing" so that the bottom eases to fit.  So so glad to have this little trick in my wheelhouse.  I remember the days of pin easing - and do not miss them even one little bit.


Breathe - border 2 is done.  (Just between you and me, I managed to put the first one on upside down and had to take it off and start over.  I know, apparently yesterday's lesson needed a little further installation.)  It's looking a little wavy, I'm hoping it all works in with two more borders.



3/28 - Border number three is today and I'm super stoked.  After all those little triangles yesterday, this has to be a breeze.  Long string pieced strips.  That's all there is to it.


More time outside is perfect.  I have been able to do this each day and it makes this process lovely.  The birds are singing, squirrels are running amok and I'm happily pressing away.


Back inside -- and they are on.  A few less waves so hopefully number four will finish the job.  So far, I have added 24 border strips onto these tops.



3/29 - Put a movie on and make the units for the last border.


Then, it's right into making the strips.  I have all 8 going at once.


Done for today.


4/1 - April Fool's Day!!  I am opting to sew.  Does that fool anyone?   The last borders are going on.


TA-DA --- #1 is a top.



As is #2 --- whew, 32 borders all on and limited waves as a result.  I'm okay with it.



4/5 - If both tops are complete, that means that it is time for the backs.  I'm at retreat and the floor space becomes my design wall.  First up -- #1  Play and move, play and move.


Done.


Number 2 - same strategy and soon it's done too.


There is still some time today --- bindings are now made too.  I was hoping to get these finished and brought the strip bin with me.


4/6 - All those scraps are put to use creating the labels.  Both versions are now ready to quilt.



4/11 - We are locked and loaded -- ready to go tomorrow.


4/12 - Good morning.  I am in the studio ready to play and loving the quilting I have chosen.


Off she comes.


I've loaded the second one and will repeat this whole scene as soon as I can.


4/16 - Okay --- today is the day to quilt this sweetheart.  I'm doing stars all over and really am liking it.


See them on the back roll?


And she's off the frame --- YES!


4/17 - Bindings are going on



4/19 - Good Fortune #1 is TA-DONE!!!



4/21 - Good Fortune #2 is TA-DONE!!  I love them both -- now to write on the labels and take outdoor pictures.



It's JUNE --- Where did the time go?  Not only is it June, but, it's past the middle of the month.  Wow.  I sure let this sit awhile.  At any rate, as of today --- these are totally finished.  Labels are written on and my finished pictures have been taken. 






7 comments:

  1. Flashback to January? You aren't going to make me live through those horrendous winter storms again, are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, No but I do have a post on the spring ones we just had. All things in good time.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE reading your blog! I really enjoy seeing your progress on Bonnie Hunter quilts!! Did I read somewhere that you said you will be in her classes in Louisville? My mom and I will be there on Friday and Saturday. We were just in a class in the Spring and can't wait to see Bonnie again. Hoping I can meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have had a great time learning under Bonnie's excellent teaching. I was lucky to take classes with her twice this year -- in Dneton, TX and in Mineola, TX and that is the budget for now. I WISH Louisville was on the plate. I hope you have a great time and also would love to meet you sometime.

      Delete
  4. WOW!!! Not just one but two times the WOW!!! I love your quilts, and really love the backs - wraps the packages so nicely. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, craziness takes hold every now and then. I only did one of my own mystery this year so doubled up on hers. NO, that was not the logic at all. Thank you on the backs --- I find them such fun to put together and collect for. All the strange stuff you really don't know what to do with. In it goes.

      Delete