Saturday, November 30, 2019

2019 November Quilt Update


Hello and welcome to the sixth Monthly Quilt Update of 2019.  Have you joined us in our theme for this year?  Do you know what it is?  Here is your hint and if you want to know all about it -- here is your LINK.  Always remember that in this blog all links open in a separate window so you don't lose your place here AND there are no ads or popups EVER.



If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balance change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

1st - Day 2 in Houston means we are decking out in our Sapphire Blues --- hahahaha, did you get that pun?  Please say yes.  The agenda for today is quilts, quilts, quilts.  Please come along and enjoy every minute of it with us.  Here is the Eye Candy Part 1 LINK.   


It's such a fun day and here is the link to the second half of the quilts we loved.  Eye Candy Part 2    Additionally, a third post is available for your viewing (it does not include the quilts) of our fun times here.  Please take a moment to share in our joy with this  Days 2&3 LINK.

Before bed --- a quick look at my take for the past two days.  I was sooooo good.  I simply picked up a few treats for the upcoming Bonnie Hunter mystery and the pins for the gang. 


2nd -  One more run around the show and we hit the road for home.  A wee bit more is being packed into the car than what we came with (nope, not mine) but we make it all work and visit all the way to Buc-ees where a parting of the ways takes place.  Always so sad to say good-bye but we truly had a blast.

The rest of the drive is solo and takes me about 2 1/2 hours.  I'm tired, but happy to see my sweetheart and see how his weekend has gone so far,

Once I'm back home in Dallas, Mister is eager to get out a bit.  Civil Pour is the destination and I hate to say this, but we probably won't go back. 

On the brighter side, the aloe plant out front is starting to bloom.  I have never had one do that.  Hopefully the weather won't get too cold before we see the result.


AND the butterfly bush is blooming again too.  It really likes the cooler weather.


3rd -  A day with my sweetie and I do look forward to time together.  I know, I know -- broken record but I really do love this man of mine.  Come along with us as we explore Denton - click this LINK.  NOW, I find a Sapphire dress -- anyone need one, I'll tell you where the shop is.

Cannoli for dessert.  Oh yes!


4th -  I am playing a bit of catch up today with work on pictures, the blog, playing bills, etc.  I am always astounded as the months roll by and these tasks must happen again.  Didn't I just do October?

5th -  More of the same from yesterday, but I do manage to make an angel food cake.  I've been craving one for awhile now and the smell is driving me nuts.  Cool, please cool.

Election Day means a quick trip out during Mister's lunch hour, but there were no lines and another item is checked off the list today.  My last task is to pull fabrics for the mystery.  Will I have enough along with my treasures from Houston?  It looks good.


6th -  My big effort for today is to change out the quilts for fall.  I know, November 6th is pretty far into fall, but I'm trying.  There should be credit for that.  The guest room now has Bonnie Hunter's Old Tobacco Road adorning it while the master has my Autumn Splendor taking center stage.  I'm not really sure about the brown shams as it makes it look as though we don't have pillows at all.


7th -  A major push today to ready some quilts.  Binding and labels for two along with a backing for one.  A baby is coming and I'm just so not ready.

These are the two tops that I put together at Sherri's last month.  Yep, no movement since then.  What is wrong with me?  At any rate, I'm ready to quilt these up.  That takes me to an all new scary place --- the longarm sitting in the studio that hasn't been used once since it's arrival in June.  Again, what is wrong with me?



8th -  I am tackling a fear today.  It's a must do as we are leaving on vacation and I'm just out of days.

After a few test runs and working out some threading issues, we are ready to rock and roll.

I could not be happier with things.  The machine works beautifully and although I'm on a huge learning curve, I make such great progress.  In less than two hours, I have loaded, quilted and removed quilt 1 from the frame.



Into the house for a quick trim. 


Do I have time for a second one?  I'm gonna give it the old college try.

Round 2 goes as well as the first and I can feel the stress reducing like crazy.  There is hope in completing at least these two items before my baby granddaughter makes her appearance.


I cut it soooooo close on the backing for this one and that WAS a challenge while quilting, but I made it.  This is my trimming.  Into the house and determined to get the bindings on before the day is done.  Hooray!!  These are both ready for hand work, which I can do in the car while on vacation.  Grabbing a pen, a couple of labels are finished off and these can be put away for awhile.  Well, one at least.  Sapphire Blues can hang out in the den until I decorate for Christmas.

9th - Vacation time with my sweetie has arrived.  We are off to Louisiana for a few days and I've packed both the quilts to bind as well as the afghan, which is in need of some serious work to complete.  As we depart, the yard is alive with color and I just have to take a couple of pictures.  I love this season so much and we have such a small fall in Texas. 


We're off and you can come along to see our fun in this  Day 1 LINK.  A couple of our stops are especially interesting for those who read this blog and so I did a separate post on them.  First up is the Texas Basket Company (yep, that's your link)  and it is crazy fascinating.   Another is Vicky Polve who we meet in Henderson.  You NEED to see her work so click on this Pine Needle Basket LINK.  I am in complete awe of her.


The view out of our apartment in Natchtoches tonight reminds me of why I made Autumn Splendor to begin with.  Love it so much.

10th - Good morning.  It's day 2 of our Vacation and we have a jam-packed agenda so are you ready for some fun?  The view this morning mimics last night with sun coming from a different direction being the only difference.   Since our day is so full here is the Morning LINK to enjoy first.  Do you see Fatsy's sister here?  It's gotta be her twin.  If you don't know who Fatsy is, well . . . . keep reading this blog.


The  Afternoon LINK shares so many more adventures and educational moments.  I have been so humbled today.  Life is precious and sometimes we forget how truly blessed we are.

At one of our stops, there is a historical plantation store.  I kept these pictures just to share here as they pertain to our craft -- kind of.  They are at least sewing related items. 


I really like this box --- someday . . .   It's just sad that it is so deeply scratched on the front.


I am crocheting while we drive -- if we have at least 30-45 minutes between stops, I can get  4 rows added on.  Goals, it's all about goals.  The quilt in our apartment has really great quilting on it and I want to try this on one that is in my "to do" stack.  I think I can, I think I can. . .
11th - Day 3 of vacation has us leaving Natchitoches and making our way South.  In Alexandria, we come to a coffee shop that has probably the most interesting planter I've even seen.  Please join us today on our Louisiana adventure in this LINK.


A stop at the Kent Plantation has me drooling.  Look at this amazing sewing cabinet.  No, it's not for a machine, but for handwork.  You can see more in the above link.  We also get to try some --- absolutely fresh, chipped off the sugar kettle, raw crystallized sugar.  It's sweet, but with a molassesy taste.  Is that a word?

12th - We are in Opelousas this morning and the day is beginning with a bank coffee shop.  Please check in on the Day 4 LINK share and learn with us today.  We are heading way down south to Avery Island and although it is dang cold out, our hearts are warm and loving life.  Binding is also taking place.



I have sewn down the binding on both quilts today.  WOW!  Yes, I am patting myself on the back.  They are TA-DONE.





13th - Are you ready for the vacation Day 5 LINK?  Well there is is. 

I told you it was cold down here.  Not making stuff up.  From ice, to rice, to snails - it's all in a days drive.  I am making great progress on my afghan as well.  I may even have the center finished by the time I get home and just have borders left.  Time will tell.


14th - The last day of our traveling vacation.  Mister still has a few days left, but we'll play in our own area for those.  Here is the Last Day LINK but we did have a few stops along the way that deserved their own posts. 

The first one was Ross Fabrics and Crafts - here is their Spotlight Post

Second is a stop for treasures and you can peek in with this Antique Fun post.  My love is so supportive of my hobby.  He drove back around the block just to show me that he had spotted this wall. I didn't. 


Storytime Quilts was another stop with it's own LINK. Well, how much crocheting did I manage to finish before home?  I AM ready for borders.  That's shouldn't take me too much longer, right?

15th - A few "house" items need to be cared for so Mister works on the yard while I get some book work caught up, unpack, and send emails/etc. 

That's enough and we are off to Allen for some antiquing and a stop at a new brewery - Nine Band.  It's just sooooo good that a case of beer follows us home.  Really, really like their Island Wakeup - Coconut Coffee Porter.  So yummy.



I am so craving lemon-pepper wings and Mister obliges with a stop at Buffalo Wild Wings.  The wait seems to take forever and then . . . . well, I'm just not happy.  I think something has changed.  And not for the better.  Ugh.

16th - So, we're calling it Staycation now and continuing the fun.  Once again, lots to see and do in our own neighborhood.  First up is you can share in our fun with this  Zoo and Deep Ellum  post. 


Beignets!!!!  Simply delectable.


For the afternoon, it's the Dallas Museum of Art and that is your link.  If you click on it, you'll learn all about the following images.




17th - Mister's last day off and we have to tackle more chores.  We start at the Dallas Diner for breakfast, followed by grocery shopping then back home to do laundry.  While doing laundry, I cut up some Christmas fabric to make a prototype ornament for my party next month.  An afternoon movie at the dollar theater gets us out n for a bit.  Peanut Butter Falcon is truly a good movie - go see it.  Mister is not quite ready to go home at this point, so a new coffee shop (I know, kinda late huh?) is located and visited.

I opt for a chai tea and after my sweetie finishes talking with the barista, he joins me at a table where a lady is selling life insurance to a young couple.  I kid you not, ALL of their personal information is verbally given and entered into a computer right there at the same table as us (they are community tables).  That is so scary to me.  It would have been very simple for me to turn on audio record on my phone and walk away with a ton of information.  People, THINK!!!  After we finished, Mister went up and shared with them what had happened.  They responded with, "You could not remember all of that so no worries."  Sigh.  Back home for pumpkin soup and a glass of wine.


18th - Monday Morning!!  Mister is back and work and I have a 3 - 4 hour appointment to have my car serviced. 

I have brought multiple projects to work on and am spread out all over when they tell me that it has turned into an 8 hour project due to recalls which changes my plans for tomorrow.  Picking everything up, getting a loaner car, and a quick call to Sherri finds me headed Terrell.   Mister found a fabric sale there and we are happy to check it out.  Here is the Terrell LINK to share our time with us. Some fabrics for the upcoming Witches Night Out quilt-a-long are purchased along with a back for another quilt.



One the way home, I make a stop in Mesquite and here is the Pieced Together Studio LINK.  Take a peek at their jam-packed store.

19th - It's an office day - between pictures and blogging.  I'm also packing for retreat and my new granddaughter arrives!!!!  Welcome Mairead (think parade only with an M) Claire.

20th - It's Time!!!  The November Brazos Retreat starts tomorrow but a few of us are going down tonight to prepare.  It is our Anniversary retreat and that always requires a little extra effort.  Here is your Brazos LINK to the whole weekend.  I am packed and ready to go.


My sweet man has been working sooooo hard to keep the yard leaf free.  He just did it two days ago.  I just shake my head as I drive away.  I'm sure he'll have to clear it at least two more times after this.  There's a LOT of leaves in the trees still.



My task for this retreat is to quilt the tricot quilt for Mairead.  I know that's a hefty goal but it must happen.  While waiting for others to arrive, I make getting it on the hand frame my first job.  Once that is done, I can set to preparing for retreat.

21st - Jennifer Smiley has completed her Sapphire Blues top and I am thrilled to share in this moment.  TA-DA


The theme of retreat is Down Under and a few of us are sporting our Aussie shirts.

Last ladies standing in front of the Kangaroo Court.  Seems fitting, right?  That's enough fun for one night.

22nd - Highlights from today have to be the game night costumes.  Stephannie is a bottle/jar of Vegemite, Val is Shrimp on the Barbie


And Sharron . . . . well she tried another version of Down Under.


Love and laughter abound.  So, so much fun.


23rd - Mister is here today servicing vintage machines and Jen has a TA-DA on the Christmas quilt she has been working on.  It is just so pretty and sparkles more than a picture shows.  Congrats Jen.

Group picture time:  Back row - Sherri, Jen, Fawn, Joyce, Shirley, Paula, Jennifer, Val, Lori  Front:  Sharron, Mindy, me, Stephannie.  I have so much love and respect for these women and am thankful each day for having them in my life.


I have a TA-DA too.  So, so much thanks to my daughter, Jen, for her many stitches in helping me and a thank you to Paula for her help as well.  I'll take it home and put it in the hoop to finish the center and then close the edges.  There is hope and again, my stress level is going down.


Night Y'all!!!  Last night is just so hard.


24th - We are packing up and out of here when Paula remembers she has a TA-DA in her car to show us.  Love it so much, but yet it makes my nose crinkle because I have two whole quilts of these blocks to put together at some point. 

Soon, the work is finished and these women have made it all happen.  I cannot do this by myself and am so thankful for the help they give.  The drive home is a bit hard this time as I'm pretty sleepy.  I have to resort to open windows and loud music -- then I make a phone call and that helps with the final miles.  Returning home, these piles are all over the yard so as soon as the car is unloaded, I get to work helping Mister move these out.  No rest for the weary just yet.  I am rewarded with dinner at Cane Rosso -- where, again, changes have been made to the menu that I just don't like.  We got them to make it the old way, though and between the two of us ate an entire focaccia and pizza.



25th - It's another sit down day.  I am organizing stuff, developing pictures, ordering gifts, setting schedules, etc.  Somehow the whole day disappears that way.

26th - My tricot quilt is in the hoop and being finished.  As soon as I complete that, I pin all the edges and close it up.  She is DONE and all by hand.  Finishing out tasks, I do some grocery shopping to prepare for this weekend and a little crocheting on borders happens too.

27th - With tomorrow being a holiday, I am doing some baking - scones, a pie and loaves of bread - along with cleaning house and prepping food for tomorrow and Friday. 


Mister also gets his relish made.  We made the decision to have a full Thanksgiving even though it is just the two of us.  Call us crazy, but we love the leftovers.

I find the time to get the two quilts labels written on and ready for mailing.  All that is left is for me to finish the afghan.  Bears will happen later as they haven't shipped yet.



28th - Happy Thanksgiving!!!!   Please click on this Thanksgiving LINK to share in my and my Sweet Mister's day.  While relaxing in the evening I am watching and watching and watching again the tutorial for this ornament I want to have everyone make at the Christmas Party.  At one point, my hubby says that he thinks he could make it, he has heard it so many times.  That being said, I do manage to get a start on it while he cleans my machines for tomorrow.  Yes, he's just that sweet of a man.


29th - Black Friday Sewing is such a great way to spend the day.  With only a few exceptions, this has been the standard operating procedure since 2013.  I have Brenda and Donna sewing along with me and it's a fun day.



Another Black Friday tradition -- black beer at Lakewood Growler.  Some traditions should never be lost.


30th -    It is the LAST day of the month.  I get one last finish in with the ornament for the party.   I really like it.

However, a big ARGH needs to happen as well.  I am so, so close to finishing the afghan.  All the borders are one and then the pink ribbon I had to finish it disappeared.  Completely.  I  have looked everywhere.  Oh well, I'll get more Monday and get this package in the mail.  I will be honest though and share that this last border just about did me in, skill wise.  It's beautiful, but I was lost for quite awhile.


So soft and pretty --- almost a ta-da, so I'll use small letters.  It's not a bad way to end the month.  I hope yours was just a full of variety as mine was.  What a great time!!!  Onto December and so much more fun coming our way.  Stay creative and I'll see you in another month.


UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Crochet afghan - Well dang, so, so, close
Baby quilt - hand - DONE
Baby quilt - pieced - DONE
Baby quilt - car - DONE
Frolic Mystery - clue 1 - DONE

UFO Items for This Month:

Ohio Star - set and backing/binding made
1 Row by Row block -
*Jamestown Landing - progress made as leader/ender 
*Smith Mountain Morning - quilted and bound -
*Midnight Flight -

UFO Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set -
Hand Quilting --

Links to Previous 2019 Monthly Posts:

January 2019 Quilt Update
February 2019 Quilt Update
March 2019 Quilt Update
April 2019 Quilt Update
May 2019 Quilt Update
June 2019 Quilt Update
July 2019 Quilt Update
August 2019 Quilt Update
September 2019 Quilt Update
October 2019 Quilt Update

No comments:

Post a Comment