Sunday, November 24, 2019

Brazos "Down Under" Retreat

Our Anniversary Retreat date has arrived.  The car is packed and I didn't even put a sewing machine in.  I have several projects, but if I get the first one finished, I'll be in seventh heaven.  It's time to hit to the road.

Since I'm going in a day early, I am able to leave in daylight.  That's new and so appreciated.  The trip goes well and before I know it, I'm on the final road and crossing cattle guards.  But wait . . . what is going on in the field to the right of the road?   Cotton??  I have been coming here for 6 Novembers now and cannot recall a cotton harvest -- not once.  The fields have almost been stripped clean, but there are a few bits here and there and that's what caught my eye.




Just a bit further down - more evidence.


Continuing on --- the cows are there to say howdy.


Due to some illness and lives just getting in the way, our numbers for this weekend are down.  I only received notice last night and this morning, so not much opportunity to sell the spots.  Due to that, I am in a quandary as to exactly how the room should be set up.  So . . . . until others arrive and their advice can be solicited, well, I'll get a quilt loaded on a hand frame.

Upon Sherri's arrival, I pick her brain and we soon have a set up put together and she sets to work on her signs for the retreat decor.  Aw, come on girl, smile.


Taking a few minutes to set up my own area, Here's a big Down Under Howdy to y'all.  Bling included.  Somewhere on that tag, I do have a name.


Ooooh, my weekend plans are in motion.  No stitches yet, but plans run amok.


And the decor continues.  We should be able to see Crocodile Dundee through this, right?


The Court is in Session --- Val has arrived and we are doing our best to be ready for tomorrow.


Ahhh, what more needs to be said?  A bit more takes place - including Jen and Paula's arrivals.  With most of the committee here, it's off to bed -- we have a big day tomorrow.


Waking early -- I NEED at least one trip to the water.  Get up girl -- go see what glorious picture is just waiting for you.  Oh my.


The river is still crazy low but oh so pretty.  On the way back to the house, Fatsy is just hanging out.


Room set-up is finished.  Stephannie has arrived and her parts are in place.




We even have our own Outhouse.


Complete with the best sign ever.


I see a Jamestown Landing starting to take shape.


Sharron has arrived and I'm off to help.  Fawn is around to photograph.  Love that girl so much.


I asked for the first one, this one -- not so much.


Jennifer Smiley arrives and has a TA-DA of my Sapphire Blues mystery.  It's just so dang beautiful!!!


Door Prizes abound this retreat as it was a decision to do them instead of other activities.  Sherri is in charge and Lori wins the first one.


LUNCH!!!!  We are starving and the trek to Babe's is required.  I am so happy at the number of people joining us in our tradition.  The table is full and happiness reigns.  That sounds mushy, but it's true.


Jen pitches in to help me on Mairead's quilt.  I cannot believe how late I am in getting this finished.  Argh --- I really need to get organized once again.


Paula has a TA-DA  She has turned a quilted place mat into a little bag.


Aussie T-Shirt fun.


Another couple of Ta-DA's  One from Paula and one from Fawn.


Sherri and I make a trip into town for a special treat pick up and upon our return --- it's pretty much a done day.  How did that happen?  Well, good night to all.


Good MORNING Brazos House.  That was said in Robin Williams voice.  Did you hear it?  Sherri has her Jamestown Landing top complete!!!


Mother and daughter have returned from a shopping trip.  I'm not sure if anything is left in the store though.

Stephannie is having a birthday.  Lucky her.  She gets to spend her special day with all of us.  She was given balloons and a beautiful song last night before bed.  (Yes, somehow our early bedtime kept getting extended.)  It's also game night!!!!  Welcome to Down Under.  We have Vegemite, Shrimp-on-the-Barbie, and some true Down Under stuff in addition to Aussie cowboys (which we learn are stockmen).


Mindy has achieved Emerald Status!!!  (In the interest of full disclosure, I missed the count.  Argh.  It's just another symptom of my crazy unorganized world right now.  I promise to do so much better in 2020.)


Val takes home the door prize.


And Jen wins the fat quarters in LCR.


Mindy is on top of it tonight as she wins round two of the game and round three goes to ME!!!


But someone else likes the jelly roll -- I think Shirley's quickly putting on weight.  Right before our eyes.


She follows that trick up with a TA-DA


While someone else is apparently just beat!!!  Mittens and all.


And we're calling this one done as well.  Good night from the crazies here.


Saturday morning is COLD.  Mister has arrived for his annual "Clean the Machines" volunteer duty.  While eating breakfast, he notices a bird acting strange at the feeder and discovers that it is trapped inside.  WTW???  How on earth did that happen.  Being the kind soul that he is, it is released to fly once again. 

Stephannie stayed up extra late last night to finish a couple pair of pajama pants and share her TA-DA this morning.  We also take our group picture right before lunch as Val is departing early today.  Take a look at these amazing faces.  They mean more to me than I can ever state.  Back row:  Sherri, Jen, Fawn Joyce, Shirley, Paula, Jennifer, Val, Lori  Front:  Sharron, Mindy, me, Stephannie.  We are a small group, but a GREAT group.  (Jennifer Marshall stopped by to visit and was kind enough to take our picture.  Somehow I didn't get one of her there though.)


Mister hard at work.  Machines are lined up everywhere. 


And . . . . .Down Under is taking place across the room.  Do you want to know?  I'm not sure I do, but I think it has something to do with Val leaving.


Across the room -- another Down Under as BINGO numbers are checked.


Door prizes have been handed out all weekend.  Only two have not received one and have denoted themselves the LOSERS.  Well, if you can't figure out which way to hold up your fingers, it could be true.  Just sayin'.

Jen has her TA-DA as well.  In between helping me all weekend, she has managed to put this top together from start to finish.  I love it so much.  Then she returns to help me some more and somehow we pull it off.  Yay!!!  That "do it" attitude is what keeps my family going.  Trimming and binding will take place at home as well as additional quilting in the center.  I can put it on the hoop for that.


Last night --- so much fun and such a great group of women.  My heart is so full.


As we break down the room the next morning, Paula remembers that she has a Show and Share for us.  TA-DA


And then it's Brazos Out!!!  Thank you to these women for staying to the bitter end and helping me get everything in order.  I can never thank you enough.

Once home, my "loot" is gone through and I love every little bit of it.  I can't wait to put things to use.  We'll be back in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment