Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Roll Roll Cotton Boll - Clue 3 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt


Clue 3 is here and that means it is time to string.  I have not played in the strings to this extent since I made Virginia Bound way back when.  I am excited to dig in and get going.  The first thing I do is check to see how far I got in class.  Well, since I need 60 blocks and have found 5 finished and one partial, I have a some work ahead of me.  I cleaned the studio last week and while at it, cut out all the papers for this project and gathered up the strings.  I am ready for the clue release.



 The task is to cover a whole pot full of paper squares with various neutral strings.  I'm sure one would not think these are all neutral but I'm okay with them and if they are too bright, I simply use the wrong side of the fabric.  Problem solved.  The best thing about sewing with all these strings is that normally these would have been thrown away.  Thank you, Bonnie Hunter, for I feel as though this quilt is virtually half free.

I am working on my sweet Featherweight, Barbara, for this project.  She is going to take a break when I finish and have a good spa day and much needed rest.

I started on these while sewing with Leanne on clue day, worked on them again with Allison yesterday, and finished them up this morning before my lunch date today.  My dang full bag of strings is pretty small now, but I didn't venture away from it.  No extra pieces cut at all.  It's like a really big bowl of oatmeal, never seems to go down  no matter how many spoonfuls you take out.

I even got them all trimmed before she arrived.


After lunch, I crawled into a comfy chair, put on old episodes of That 70's Show and removed all the papers.  Whew - they filled a paper grocery bag.  The best part of all this?  I LOVE the blocks.  Second best part?  They're done!!  Onto Clue 4 Friday.  (Remember that if you click on the summary tab at the top of the blog, you will be able to follow a link to purchase Bonnie's book if you wish to play along.)

1 comment: