Monday, July 31, 2023

July 2023 Quilt Update


 Our theme this year, Binding Us Together, is just so needed.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a whirl.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go:  That brings us to July and all of the patriotic fun that happens along the way.  Take every chance you get to strengthen those friendships and the ties that bind us.  This month -- let's focus on GIGGLES.  Seriously, laughter brings us all so close and makes memories that will stay with us forever.  Let's hear the laughter, y'all.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far this year), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st -  A new month means new blocks for the Civil War sew-alongs.  It's not too late to join in as two of them go all year and the third is a two-year project.  Here are the July blocks and links to join the groups if you wish.  Barbara Brachman Sampler


The Loyal Union Sampler blocks for July.


Dear Jane blocks for July.


The APQ Challenge for this month is #7 - an old BOM that needs to be quilted and bound.  Perhaps, I'll do better this month, but it's questionable as it is another "out of the house" month.  Time will tell.  (It was dropped of at MSQC for quilting while we were there.  Now I wait)

We are still on our journey and here is the Day 32 Road Trip LINK.  At some point we will be home once again, even if it is only for a short time.  We stopped at a coffee shop that had this fun espresso version of tic tac toe.


Check out the balanced rock and fun little chalk spots around town.  Read the link to see what is up.


A pretty sky to end the day.  One would think with a day of driving that I had accomplished a ton of handwork.  Nope.


2nd - Our last day on the road - for now.  Here is the Road Trip Day 33 LINK and you can be cheesy with us.  In many ways.  Still no hand work happening, but we did make it home.



Life has gone on without us and is flourishing.  Nice.


3rd - Recovery is in full force here.  I do manage to venture to the post office and before starting the car, I notice our trip miles.  We put 4,846 miles on the car from beginning to end.


The post office gave me a tote!  Goodness.  I can't wait to see what's in here.


4th - Happy Independence Day!  We are staying quiet this year --- not much happening except around the house.  Some fun from yesterday's post office tote:  Sew Sampler for June.


Harvest Moon fat quarter bundle and jolly bar.  Yep, ordered one after forgetting I ordered the other.


Three BOM's.  The rest is actual mail.  Ugh.


Out to the yard we go.  I'm the mower and Mister is the trimmer/bagger/cleaner-upper.  It's dang hot out and I'm down to just a small patch to show you how long it had been.


One hot girl and proof that I did it.


Believe it or not, I'm starting to pack for the next journey.  I have very few prep days this month.


I'm also doing laundry and my washing machine is doing something really not nice.  I really liked this skort.  I guess I need to order a new one.


Our 4th of July dinner is YUMMY!!!  No kid food.


5th - My grands have arrived and I'm ready for fun with them.  There won't be much sewing at this point, but that's kind of how this month is going so far.  Here is the LINK to H&Z Day 1 if you wish to join our fun.


We met up with Jen, Jared, and Josh for some fun at Ifly.  It's really worth checking out the blog post to see the videos.  I may need to do this at another time.



Dinner at Cane Rosso --- time with four grands and a daughter.  What could be better?


6th - It's another play day.  Here is the LINK to H&Z Day 2 and today, it's the Museum of Illusions.


This picture reminds me of some quilts I have seen that have the tiny squares, but when you step back, it's a complete picture.


Did you guess it?


Crazy old lady fun.


Creative kids.


We followed up the museum with some arcade fun after Grandpa got off work.


7th - Just another day in paradise!  Honest.  Here is the LINK to H&Z Day 3 as we play a little miniature golf and go about the town.



Intrinsic BBQ -- sooooo good.


8th - Grandpa is off today so it is a day for one of the kids requests - the Zoo!  Here is your LINK to H&Z Day 4.  Zebra fun below for a teaser.



Toss in a snake and all is good.


My favorite part of the zoo.


Ice cream rewards for good boys and girls.  Hahahaha- more like hot boys and girls.


Games in the evening.  So much fun spending time together.


9th - Sunday Funday.  We are off to the aquarium and here is your link to H&Z Visit - Day 5.  LOVE this place so much.



10th - Our last day of fun before the grands have to go.  Here is the LINK to H&Z Days 6 & 7 and our EPIC fun.



11th - A morning departure means good-byes all around.


The rest of my day is spent trying to get a jump on the next two trips.  I have back to back retreats followed by a girls trip to MSQC,  Whew - that's a lot of packing.

12th -   Laundry and final packing for two retreats -- worked on pictures and blog for June hoping to make progress.  Not really much else to say.

13th - The beginning of a LOT of quilty friends time starts today.  I left for retreat in the wee hours and am making my way towards Rainbow, TX.  Here is a LINK  to the highlights of our weekend if you wish to see more.


First up for me is to work on the BB blocks and I have August done and ready to post.  One checkmark for me.  


Best of times - always.


14th - At retreat and my machine shows signs of being busy.  I'm working away on my Dear Jane blocks for August.


Last ladies for today - almost the same group - Stephannie and Debi switched out.


15th - I DID IT!!  Dear Jane blocks are ready for August's post.  Such a fun project, but it's one less stress.


Now to work on something fun.  I have Spooky Season's big blocks sewn together and so I just go ahead and finish it.  It still needs a few bats appliqued, but I'll get them, I promise.


Bountiful's top is also done.  LOVED working on this one.


Label and binding for Spooky Season are done as well.  Time to quilt this one as I ordered the backing fabric so nothing to piece.


Game night and I've gone total Carnivale.


Last night, last ladies --- love and laughter runneth amok.  I cannot express how much fun this has been.


16th - The first retreat comes to an end and we have the rare chance to take a pic of FOUR original DIAMONDS together.  It's been almost nine years and I've loved every minute.


Tweener Time begins and if you wish to peek in, here is the LINK.  In the afternoon five of us took a short road trip and then had Mexican dinner out in the evening.  We forgot to take group pics, but Frieda and I did manage to get proof we were there.


Since I was gone on our road trip or teaching purse-making (yes, that went on today too) most of the day, I enlisted help with my Loyal Union blocks and believe it or not --- some refused.  However, I did get quite a bit of help and am soooooo thankful.

17th - We worked on purses all day AND I enjoyed some grass clippings.


18th - Still working on the purse AND Loyal Union blocks, but I have also finished my Bountiful backing.


Frieda and I went into the brewery for dinner and upon my return, TA-DONE!  It turned out so much better than I had originally thought.  YES!  Another gift is done.


Meanwhile, back at home, Mister has replaced the garbage disposal with a clean and pretty new one.  So, so thankful to have a hubby who fixes things.


19th - The last of August's Loyal Union blocks are finished and I'm so happy.  I need to give credit where credit is due.  Numbers 1-5 across the top:  1 - me, 2 - me, 3 Frieda, 4 - me, 5 - Tonia   Second row 6-10:  6 - Gwen, 7 - Frieda, 8 - me, 9- Janet, 10 - me and the final block by Korin.  I cannot express how thankful I am to those who helped me.  Truly, grateful.


The label and binding are added to the Bountiful package and it is ready to be quilted.  SUPER happy to mark this off the list.


Sunny Patches for July is done.  That's a check-mark.


I even went the extra mile and put some of the setting blocks together as well.


20th -The second retreat weekend begins today, but I get a bit done in the morning hours and every bit helps.  That basic block for Pressed Flowers is done.


Lunch at Babe's ---- always good.  Here is the LINK to the second weekend and all of its amazing eye candy.


I'm caught up with the new Designer Mystery blocks.  June and July are done!


I make an attempt at June's Barn Star blocks, but somehow manage to completely screw up the cutting.  Better to walk away right now.


Jen arrived at retreat today and is planning on dropping about 10 quilts at Missouri Star for quilting.  THAT got me to thinking about doing the same thing and taking a ton of stress off my plate.  Hmmmm.  I have the two here that I just finished - Spooky Season (which still needs applique finished) and Bountiful.  That's two, for sure.  

Last ladies standing and so much on my mind.  


I didn't quite go to bed as I wanted to finish this POD block.  I'm making VERY slow progress with this project and I think this is June's first block and it still need embroidery.


21st - It's another glorious day at retreat and I'm working on a Monster Book block for the POD project.  I get it done and the best part is that it doesn't need any embroidery.  Score!


ALL the purses are now done!  Lots of TA-DONES!!!


I get as far as I can on my Anna's Baskets block for July.  For some reason, I am just not able to kit these correctly.


It's party time!  Having a bit of fun here.


Ahhhh, Jen and I


The gangs all here. Such a fun group of women.  Again, I am so blessed to have these beautiful souls in my life.  Back row:  Jen, Janet, Korin, Jo, Barbara Marcia, Debi, Cindy, Donna  Front row:  Frieda, Gwen, Stephanie, Tonia, Sherri, Stephannie, and Donna.  The crazy one up front is yours truly and we are missing Virginia from the pic.


Jen and I with out Spooky Season quilts -- she is way ahead of me, but I'll get caught up.


And night two of weekend two comes to a crazy end.  If you could only feel the love in this room, you would be joining us at every opportunity.  SUCH a good time.


22nd - My last day at retreat as I have to depart this evening to prepare for a departure to Missouri tomorrow morning.  Back to back to back.  Crazy, I know.  However, I'm still gonna enjoy all that this day has to offer.  Original diamonds at retreat --- LOVE


TA-DA with my little Halloween wall hanging.


With that, Jen and I pack up and head back to Dallas for the night.  We have a LOT to do once there, but one thing at a time, right?  

When we get home, I start rounding up all the quilts I want to take with me and drop off for quilting.  I have 10 and am sure this will reduce my stress.  However, one still needs applique - that will happen EARLY tomorrow morning.

23rd - I woke up super early and went out to the studio to finish the applique on my Spooky Season top.  There is a reason we do this per block as it is hard to manhandle the whole top, but it is done! Time to load the car.


Once the work is done, we are ready to head out and begin our journey, but the first stop is to pick up our 4th person in the car.  Here is the link to Missouri Trip Days 1 & 2 so that you can share in all of our antics.  It's worth a peek, I promise.


OKARMO Corner - (always to be remembered as Sherri's video spot)


A stop at a cave and if you want to see the wonder of it all, here is the Bluff Dwellers Cave LINK


and proof we were there.  


24th - Another travel day with a planned arrival at MSQC this afternoon.  However, a waterfall stop happened.




Time with Jen is just so treasured by me.


Shopping stops always happen.  The first one is in Carthage, MO and here is the Quilter's Corner Station LINK.


My only walkaway was this fabric and it was a gift from Jen.


Our second shop is in Lamar, MO and here is the Blue Top Quilt Shop LINK so you can have a peek around.


My walkaway here is a trading ruler and it was a gift from Frieda.  I'm on a roll.


We make it to MSQC and get all checked in.  Just so you know - A LOT more happened today, but ya gotta follow the links to see it all.  This is our home for the next couple of days.


Mexican is for dinner and we met up with the whole crew, but no one took a picture.  What is up with that?  We do have proof that some of us are in Hamilton.  The lower sign is for Senor Barrigas.  That was dinner.


I sewed into the wee hours getting a start on my backing for Farm Girl.  Hopefully, I can finish it tomorrow night.  No pics - oops.

25th - The Doan Girls retreat officially begins this evening, but today is for fun as well.  The Days 3 & 4 LINK are here to let you share in how we spent our minutes.


Scavenger Hunt - 


Hey there --- all but one.


Walking a few blocks lets us explore a treasure here in Hamilton.  Here is the Missouri Quilt Museum LINK in which you will get a GREAT taste of what this museum is all about.  What a fun stop.



We dropped Jens quilts off for quilting and I'm working very hard to get mine ready to go.  They all had to be measured and one needs a backing.  I'll get there.


Trunk show tonight and it ended with Jenny showing the quilt we will be working on tomorow.  Love it.


After the trunk show, we headed back to the retreat center and I finished the backing for Farm Girl at around 11:15 p.m. and drug myself off to bed.


26th - A full day of retreat ahead.  We arrive at the Hotel Hamilton to discover gifts already on our tables.  There are FIFTEEN patterns in this.  How cool is that?    Jenny does her Block Star and I LOVE the fabric for this one.   


I get the whole quilt cut and then start in on the blocks.  Making progress.


At lunch, another gift shows up - this time two fat quarters.


AND Jenny wants to know all about my 301.  How fun is this?


Group pics before the evenings program.



The gangs all together with the Doan Girls and Ron.


The afternoon class is a table runner that I manage to complete before the day is over.  TA-DA


Oh - I won a jelly roll in tonight's door prize drawing AND the little case showed up during the day as well.  They are sooooo generous here.


27th - We are on our last full day here in Hamilton and today's class is the Periwinkle Squared.  All supplies have been left on our table already.  Click on this Days 5 & 6 LINK to share in ALL the fun.


After Misty's class, a quick trip into town finds us walking back.  It's not a bad walk at all -- a bit hot though.


TA-DA's with Natalie


Today's gift on the table.


The group Block TA-DA


In the evening I shared my Farm Girl quilt with all.


AND the newly finished backing.


Block TA-DA's with Misty


A memory moment - so fun.


For the evening, I am pulling an all-nighter to turn these blocks into a quilt top that can be dropped off for quilting.


By 3:30 a.m., I've pulled it off and had to change the borders a bit as I added an extra column to the original pattern.  It is what it is and ready to quilt.  Time for a few hours of sleep - we are on the road again tomorrow.


28th - Well, this retreat is coming to an end and that is always a sad day.  However, I start the morning with my own personal triumph.  TA-DA


These are all the Scavenger Hunt items we were given.  Amazing, right?  I've shown all the additional items with each days comments.


So - one would think that I spent a ton while shopping here in Hamilton, but I didn't.  I spent the bulk of my budget on dropping quilts for quilting.  All I really bought here was one kit and a couple of rulers.  Pretty good, if I do say so myself.


We've hit the road again and our first stop is only half an hour away.  Here is a link as to why we are here and what we find.  Psssst - Jenny Doan sent us.  Chillicothe Murals LINK


We also stop at a quilt shop here - Cuts and Bolts.  In here, I find a unicorn.  Nantucket Summer and enough to buy a backing for my Designer Mystery 2022.  Woot woot.


In another perfect find, we have stopped in Brunswick, MO (please don't try to map us out cos the crazy will come through) and are in shopping heaven.  Here is the Sew Sweet Quilt Shop Spotlight LINK so you can drool along with us.


This store has me going to the checkout TWICE.  The longer you stay, the more you find.


By the time we stop for the night - we have traveled 3 hours and increased our time to get home.  I did mention CRAZY, right?


After dinner, there is still some daylight left and time to do some exploring.  Come along with us through this Exploring Boonville, MO LINK and share in the beauty of the area.




29th - My chicks are in a row and we are out bright and early for our appointment at Warm Springs Ranch.  Here is the Days 7 & 8 LINK if you wish to peek in.



Here is the Warm Springs Ranch LINK which will take you to all things Clydesdales!  This was such a great tour --- honest.



In Columbia, MO - a quilt shop stop happens.  Here is the Appletree LINK to check out this really surprising store.  I didn't find anything on my list, but loved the stop.


Our FINAL shop stop for this trip happens in Jefferson City, MO.  I didn't do a spotlight on this one for the simple reason that I didn't take any pictures.  Things were a little crazy inside due to computers and internet.  That took my focus way from photography.


BUT, I did find two items on my list here.  The background for the ghost quilt that I bought the pattern for in Brunswick and the binding for my Block Star quilt that was dropped at MSQC.  The list is getting smaller and that is nice.


30th - We made it home from Missouri mid-afternoon.


All my peeps are either home or one their way there.  Mister has been alone for a LONG time and we are out the door quick.  OHB is the ticket tonight.  Turns out they are having a fish fry and we get invited by Brad to stick around and enjoy.  


You don't have to twist our arms.  YUM.



The cooking set up


And the side dish line - seems wrong not to have brought anything, but we WERE invited.


There is even a sno-cone machine.  Must try and it didn't disappoint.


It's a bit warm here - ugh.


31st -The last day of the month has arrived and to be truthful, I'm beat.  It's been a whirlwind since March and I'm truly looking forward to some down time next month.  Bookwork was a priority and then I settled in and finished the Girl Scout vests of my granddaughters that I brought home from Utah.  It's time to get them in the mail.  When I got my vitamins out this morning --- this little note was stuck into one of the empty spaces.  How sweet is this man of mine?


I've unpacked and found something misplaced.  I guess I'll be mailing it too.  Silly Sherri.


That brings us to August - oh my.  This year if flying by.  Sharing a common interest helps to bind us together.  Each time we are able to make a memory - something special happens.  Take the time this month to create those memories.  One way, perhaps, is to attend a quilt show with friends.  Let the binding begin. 



Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.

UFO's to quilt:  these are staying on this list and I am so hoping to actually make progress this year with the quilting aspect. 

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - turned in at MSQC
BOM #2 - quilt and bind -  turned in at MSQC
BOM #3 - quilt and bind -  turned in at MSQC
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -   turned in at MSQC
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind -  turned in at MSQC
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind -  turned in at MSQC
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind - 
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind - 
Long May She Wave - quilt and bind
Oh Happy Day - quilt and bind
Skillbuilder - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Sunny Patches BOM Mystery - current
Joy-Filled - 
Designer Mystery - 
Spooky Season BOM -  turned in at MSQC
BB Civil War Sampler - current
Loyal Union Sampler - current
Dear Jane - current
Country Christmas BOM (2 per month) - a bit behind here
Harry Potter BOM - Two June blocks are pieced, but need embroidery on one
Anna's Baskets BOM - almost current, just need a few pieces added
Sewcialites BOW - 
Bountiful BOM -  turned in at MSQC
Barn Star BOM - 
Forever My Valentine - 
Feathered Star BOW - 
FQS - Hallo-Ween Mystery QAL - finished and  turned in at MSQC
MSQC Project #1 - Completed at retreat and  turned in at MSQC
MSQC Project #2 - Table runner made, need to quilt and bind
MSQC Project #3 - One block made to learn process
Mom's Purse - DONE

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
Alphabet project from MSQC last summer - 
Half Moon Rising project from MSQC last summer - 
Snail Trail Quilt from MSQC last summer - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 
Summer Moon - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Sandcastles -
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
Farm Girl - backing/binding made -  turned in at MSQC
Round Robin (mine) - 
Row by Rows - 


UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2023 Monthly Posts - 




No comments:

Post a Comment