Thursday, August 31, 2023

August 2023 Quilt Update

 

Our theme this year, Binding Us Together, is just so needed.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm enjoying the direction this is taking us all, but especially myself, as I've given it a whirl.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go:  That brings us to August - oh my.  This year if flying by.  Sharing a common interest helps to bind us together.  Each time we are able to make a memory - something special happens.  Take the time this month to create those memories.  One way, perhaps, is to attend a quilt show with friends.  Let the binding begin. 

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far this year), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st -  A new month means new blocks for the Civil War sew-alongs.  It's not too late to join in as two of them go all year and the third is a two-year project.  Here are the August blocks and links to join the groups if you wish.  Barbara Brachman Sampler


The Loyal Union Sampler blocks for August.


Dear Jane blocks for August.


The APQ Challenge for this month is #12 - Witches Night Out - which I dropped off at MSQC for quilting and then I'll just need to bind it, but that will happen later in the year when I get it back.

Yesterday, I spent the majority of the day sewing badges and patches onto my two granddaughters vests.  Today, they go in the mail.



I'll make that stop at the post office right after my pink robe appointment.  Yep, it's that time of year again.


For the rest of the morning, I tacked backing onto my kitchen rugs.  They slide more than the others did, for some reason.  This worked on Mom's so, I'm trying it here as well.


Jenny Doan posted a video today where she talks about the machines Sherri and I had at retreat.  Pretty cool.  Cool, is not what it is outside, though.  Today is 105 and still climbing.


2nd - My morning starts out with a drive to Plano and me modeling the new crisp, pale-blue, robe.  I'm right in style.  A couple of items removed/burned off and I'm on my way with a pretty good annual.  What is up with my hair?  Goodness.


A package from MSQC is FULL of thread from the sale last month.  How fun is this?


3rd - Today, I am reorganizing my stuff.  Unpacking from last month's back to back retreats AND the trip to Missouri.  I have three weeks of accumulation to put away and so, while I'm at it, some re-org is taking place.  It also means I am messing up the house where ever I go.


I get the backing and binding strips cut for the table runner from class last month.  I was able to get it all out of the backing they provided so am left with a half yard of the fabric.  Score.


Yep, a real mess is brewing.


The aqua case on the back of the chair contains all the labels and binding for the quilts I dropped in Missouri, except for the ones that were new.


Not just one room.


These, shamefully, are filled with NEW projects that I won't get to until next year and beyond.  The shopping has stopped and I am totally aghast with myself.  (Yes, the P.O. tote will be returned this week.)


All my new thread is put away.


Binding is cut for four projects (3 of which were left in Missouri) and I've cut the missing pieces for my Anna's block from last month.  Tomorrow will be a sew day.


Some applique ironing took place.  These are behind, but we're moving forward.  Me, myself, and I that is.


4th - I headed out to the studio early this morning to get some stiches in before it got too hot.  I was able to get the two handles for Anna's basket done and the two new hearts so that I can iron on the rest of their parts this weekend.  At that point, I was melting and it was time to go inside the main house.


The Anna's block from last month is now finished.


AND - I've tackled this month's as well.  This is the last block in the quilt so now it's onto setting.  I'm pretty excited.


My leader/ender for the above blocks was the label for Block Star, which was left in Missouri.  It's a huge label, but so fun to use ALL the parts.  I also got the binding made.  Into the aqua storage bag this goes.


My washing machine is STILL being a beast and has destroyed multiple pieces of clothing this week.  I've laid down the law and stated that I'll be going to the laundromat in the future.  I think I heard parts being ordered.


The label and binding for my Halloween mystery wall hanging is done, too.


AND - two more bindings.  One for the batik table runner and one for Farm Girl, which was left in Missouri.  Still working on the FG label.  I also sewed the Anna's blocks into rows and cut the sashing.  I ran into a bit of an issue at that time and decided to hold off until a new day.


FG label in motion --- I've done about 60 HST's so far.  Soooo many cutoffs.


Evening time fun - I ironed on two more Valentine applique blocks.


5th - Early morning stitching.  All four of my Valentine blocks are ready for the small part applique to begin.  Today is white, tan, and light green before it's too warm in the studio.  I'll bury threads this evening and be ready for tomorrow and the same scene.


Mister is still sleeping so I decide to get a couple of quilts sandwiched.  These are small and will be done on my 301 as I only want cross-hatch quilting.  My Sewcialites wall hanging:


And Connected Hearts from MSQC last month.  This one is a table runner.


Saw this and had to keep.  Truer words were never put out there.  The rest of my day was spent running errands with Mister --- two grocery store and a couple other stops.  So hot out there.


6th -  Sunday morning and letting Mister sleep.  Out to the studio for some early morning applique on my hearts and I get two pinks done before he wakes and comes to find me.  We're going walking before it gets too hot.  Coffee shop time.


Most of the rest of the day is spent working on the computer.  Yep, it's gotta be done now and then and I have a TON of pictures to go through.  I do manage to get the binding and outer border made for Anna's Baskets.  I guess that's something.


My sweetie rarely expresses an intense desire to see a movie, but there is one out that he has been talking about for awhile.  Tickets are VERY hard to get, but he managed to snag a couple and we are out on a LATE DATE NIGHT.  The movie starts at 10:45 p.m.


Oppenheimer was filmed in 70mm and our IMAX is one of only 30 theaters in the country capable of showing it as it was filmed.  With a cinematography buff in the house, it's no wonder he really wanted to see it.  It was WELL worth seeing and I wasn't even a bit sleepy for the entire 3 hours.  Crazy, right?  By the time we get home and get into bed, it's almost 2:30, but neither of us can go right to sleep.  Ugh.  At least Mister took a nap earlier to prepare.


7th - Even with minimal sleep, my body is up and ready to go.  Out to the studio for two more colors of early morning applique on my hearts.  I am down to four colors and hope to have these done this month.  The rest of my morning is spent adding the sashing rows to Anna's Baskets.  This is really looking fun.


I wanted to load Xing onto the frame this morning, but discovered that I had only put yardage in the bag and never sewed it together to make a back.  Hmmmm.  Now, I have one.


Next up - dentist time.  I'm there for quite some time, but come away with everything sparkling clean and ready to go.  Love these days - NOT.  After my appointment, I'm pretty worthless.  I think the short night caught up with me.


8th -  Beating the heat in the studio requires my early morning jaunts.  Today, I loaded up Xing, first thing.  


Then, because it is so small, I just quilted it right then and there.


AND loaded Straits of Mackinac - it's next in the queue.


Borders onto Anna's Baskets - yes!


I threw down a bunch of leftover fabric from Anna's and hopefully it will be enough for a backing.


The binding is on Xing and it's ready for hand-stitching in the evenings.  I may get this one totally finished this month - it even has a sleeve.


Label is finished for Anna's and put with the binding.


To boot - yes, it's been a good day.  I have September's BB blocks done and the post is ready to go.


I even have four of the five BB blocks for October ready as well.  One is solid hand work, yay!  Did you catch the sarcasm?


9th - My arrival in the studio this morning was a bit late, so not much forward progress on the quilting, but I did get at least one pass done.  I just have the quilt laid back up so it's not on the floor.


Too hot for the studio so back into the house and the backing for Anna's is next.  Done.


This one is ready to quilt.


I've been gathering up all the binding and labels for finished quilts.  Since 11 are at MSQC, all of those are in here as well as the new ones I'm working on.  The new tote from retreat is perfect for these.


Some time at the cutting table nets me two Pressed Flower block parts and four Barn Star block parts.  Still playing catch-up.


I have all the little parts for my Farm Girl label cut and ready to make pinwheels.  Crazy, right?


Parts for Summer Moon label are sitting around too.  I have bits and pieces everywhere --- so many leader/enders.


10th - More early morning work in the studio and I have the top more than halfway there.  It's off the ground now.  One more morning and this one will be off the frame.


The Pressed Flowers block from June got its finishing touches and July's block is done as well.  August's should be here soon and, hopefully, I will get it done this month too.


Two of my four Barn Star blocks are done.  These are June's.  Still not current.


Mister bought himself a treat and it arrived today.  Sooooo nice and light and sharp.


Things move slower when this happens, but they also require less ripping - so perhaps it's an even trade.


Long May She Wave is out and getting her sashing rows added.


AND Summer Moon's label and binding are going into the bin.  Yes!!!


I've got August's two Barn Star blocks under construction, but I'm just done sewing for today.  Nine hours is a lot.


The parts for Long May She Wave's label are getting a look over as well.  That's it for today.  I'm off to the computer for more blog and picture work and perhaps a bit of cruise planning as well.  The days are counting down.


And to top things off around here, there is water leaking under the sink in my bathroom.  My poor, sweet man HATES plumbing and it seems to be all around him right now.


11th - The day is going to be another OMG, It's HOT Day so I'm off to the studio super early to get a few things done.  Within a couple of hours, I have Straits of Mackinac rolling off the frame.  Amazing!  It's only take me FOREVER to get this onto the frame.


I quick load up a quilt that was made during the Quarantine.  The Texas Quilter's Group ran a mystery during that time and I used only what I had on hand while still trying to get something a bit masculine.  This was it and it's sat ever since.


For the first time in what seems like a really, long time, I have a chance to attend a Red Hat function.  Yes, I am still a Red Hatter, although no one would know from recent months.  Here is the Red Hat LINK for today's event if you want to check it out.


Such a nice group of women.  It's fun to hear the stories of those whose main focus is not on quilting, but more on travel and fun events.  I'm aiming that way.


Once I got back home, a couple of Barn Star blocks get finished.  These are July's and I'm now current - at least until this month's arrives in the mail.


12th - For some reason, I woke even earlier this morning and, since it is Saturday, I left quietly to let Mister sleep in.  Some more applique on my hearts happened - I am making progress, but not fast enough.


AND, some quilting happened as well - until the bobbin ran out and then I threw in the towel and went inside.


My sweetie is still sleeping, but an item on my list for this weekend is to get my no-sew vests cut out so that I can work on them while on a cruise next month.  Mission accomplished.


I even had enough leftover to cut out a few scarves as well.  Nice.


While standing at the kitchen sink, I spotted this little red-breasted grosbeak.  Pay no attention to how dirty the window is please.


After that --- some work on blog and pics happened for a bit.  I'm still trying to get all of July caught up.  So, so behind. While I was in the office, Mister started in on the task of tearing apart the washing machine.  Yep, all the parts are here and he's gonna power through it.  Crazy old man.


I cut and sewed the Designer Mystery block for July!  I am CURRENT on something.  Shocking, right?


Two Loyal Union blocks made it to the done column today as well.  I only have 20 to go this month.  Ugh.


13th - We have washing machine and dryer EVERYWHERE!!!  Mister has been He-Manning things like crazy and outside using every cleaner imaginable to this thing in the hopes that whatever is destroying clothes will stop.


And me?  Well, I'm just sewing away.  A few more LU blocks to the stack.


14th -  After a totally exhausting day yesterday, my sweetie deserves quiet and a chance to sleep in.  It's off to the studio for me.  More applique on my blocks and I'm getting within a couple of colors of finishing these blocks up.


Now for some Quarantine fun.  I'm practicing today.  Sometimes a quilt just lends itself to that.  I get to play a bit today and that's okay.


It is QUILTED!!  Hooray!  Another one for the binding stack.  I only have one more old top to get quilted and then it's onto the ones I'm working on.


What is that old one?  Pfeffernusse, of course.  However, the batting is not quite big enough and I'm not up to that today, so it'll finish getting loaded tomorrow morning.


While chatting with Kelly this morning, I cut out three blocks for LU.  I told her that two would be easy and the third one would take me a whole day.  Well, two are finished for today so I guess I was pretty dang accurate.


15th - Another early morning out in the studio, BUT it's much cooler.  Something strange is happening outside and we are not supposed to get to 100 today.  OMG.  At any rate, some franken-batting is taking place.  Oh, the batting project was AFTER working on applique, but no pictures.  Still plugging along on the blocks and I heard today that August's is in the mail.  I'll never get caught up.


And NOW, I can load Pfeffernusse.


I MUST work on LU today.  So many for this month.  I am down to only 3 left and they all have y-seams.  Tomorrow will suck.


Leader/end for this week has been the label for Long May She Wave - done.


ONE block for Forever My Valentine is finished (until embellishments, which we haven't been sent yet - this is a BOM - and that is why there are gaps here and there).


Off to the computer for a bit.  Believe it or not, I'm still working on pictures from the Missouri Trip.  I'm halfway through the month and the list feels as long as it did in the beginning.

16th -  Yesterday, I called a new eye doctor and was soooo fortunate in that they had a cancellation for today and were able to get me in right away.  LOVE the new doctor and this quilt was hanging in her office.  How cool is this?  There was mixed news for me, but overall I guess I should be thankful that my vision is as good as it is for as much as I overuse it.  I have the beginnings of glaucoma AND macular degeneration as well as the cortical cataracts that I've known about for some time.  However, my prescription didn't change, so there is that.  I now get to take an additional supplement each day.  Yay for me.  At least it's not a prescription and I am thankful for that.  As for the rest of the day?  Well, I worked on the blog for quite a bit, but not much more.  My eyes stayed dilated for almost the whole day.  

17th - Early morning out to the studio and I have finally finished all the stitching on my four Forever My Valentine blocks.  Now to bury threads and trim the blocks.  No pics today.  Then, it takes me almost the entire day, but I have finished the LU blocks for September and October.  So, so thankful.


In all their glory - now to get the posts typed.  



I also settled in and did the applique on the last block for BB's October assignment.  Another check-mark for me and another post to write.


I spent the later part of the evening burying threads on my FMV blocks.  They are ready to trim tomorrow morning.  Woot woot.  It's a good thing, cos the new block showed up today.  I didn't even make it to the caught up stage.  Figures.

18th - It's Friday and I'm so glad.  Perhaps we can sneak out for a bit tonight.  Early  morning trimming of the FMV blocks and they are TA-DA ready.


I immediately moved to the new block and got it all ironed on and ready for stitching.  I so want this done before the month ends.  This block doesn't get too much embellishment.  That's interesting.


Then, the whole day changed.  Doctor appointment --- injection done, bloodwork done, and I guess I'll make it another half a trip around the sun as that is when my next appointment is.


Home to work on blog and put up with a sore arm.  Fun, fun times.

19th - It's Saturday and usually I give my weekends to my sweetheart, but he is once again at work on the washing machine.  Honestly, I'm not sure how he just tears a machine apart down to the bones, takes everything outside and cleans it entirely, replaces worn parts, fixes broken areas, and then magically just starts to put it back together again.  It's crazy to me, but I'm giving him plenty of space for reassembly today.  

The new Sunny Patches block is out so I get that cut, sewn, and then put more parts together on the main top.  This is so fun, for when we are done - we are done.  I only have one more large nine-patch to go --- two more months of blocks and it will be ready for quilting.

Speaking of the washing machine - here are a few pics.  The ENTIRE drum is back together again.  This was in soooooo many pieces.


I've been teased a bit about getting this off the floor in the living room.  Okay - today I am adding sashing strips between the rows and making some progress.


My leader/enders for today are tiny bits to that will grow up to become a label for Farm Girl.


20th - It's another day of machine assembly so I get to sew again.  I'll take this time and get a chance to work on "extras" that I'm behind on, but don't have a hard deadline.  First thing, while Mister sleeps, I get the blocks for Week 2 of The Feathered Star by Scott Flanigan.  I think the group is on the final steps - I have a lot of catching up to do.


Long May She Wave top is done.  Yes!  It's off the floor too.


Backing, binding, and label -- all ready to go.


I also finished up the Farm Girl label today.  Happy to have this one done -- it and the binding are going into my tote for when the quilt reappears here at home.


The washing machine is back together and running an empty load while Mister watches for leaks.  Nothing found - everything back into place.  He's amazing.


My final sewing for the day is to get the Feathered Star blocks done.  Eight churn dash blocks - check.


Superman wants to get out and celebrate his triumph and I don't blame him.  While Rock Alehouse wins for tonight and their lemon pepper wings were pretty dang good.  


Late evening applique happened and this Dear Jane block is done.  One of 22 to do this week.


21st - How about a Good Morning?  It's going to be another scorcher here in North Texas and I manage to get a wee bit of time out back before I'm A/C bound once again.  Three colors onto my block and four to go.  Back inside, I got the next set of blocks for Feathered Star cut - not sure I'll get to them today, but they are ready if I do.


The mail delivered my Sew Sampler --- I know I'll get the Pressed Flowers block done, but the rest is just going to a side table for another day.  I did find it funny that the 1 1/2" ruler that I bought in Missouri and then bought a back up last week has made another appearance.  I think I have enough of them now.


I worked on Dear Jane blocks all morning, then went to the store and did some shopping this afternoon.  The heat wore we out and once I was back home, I settled for hand work.  Two blocks were appliqued and all the threads were buried on my Valentine block.  Tomorrow is another day.


22nd - Quick trip out to the studio to beat the heat this morning and I have two more colors finished.  Only two to go and this block will be done.  Yes!


While shopping yesterday, I stopped at JoAnn's and picked up some soft, brushed flannel for the scarves I am making from my vest leftovers.  They are now cut and ready to go.


Speaking of cutting - some time at the table nets me my Pressed Flowers block for August


AND Barn Star BOM was delivered while cutting so I added it to the mix.


I spent most of the day working on Dear Jane blocks, but towards evening, a little time for fun.  Pressed Flowers is CURRENT!  It's been a challenge getting to that point on items this month.


Six more Dear Jane blocks today.  I still have a stack to go, but I'm making progress.  It doesn't appear that I'm getting anything done in the evenings, BUT --- tearing off papers, burying threads from machine applique, and at least one Dear Jane hand applique block each night has been happening.  Hopefully, a couple of those items are winding down and I can work on my vests.


23rd - Welcome Wednesday!  I've got to come up with something to cheer about these crazy hot, repetitive days.  Seriously. Has anyone been watching the weather in Texas?  EVERY day is a excessive heat warning.  It's a good thing I was so looking forward to a month at home and staying inside has let me work, work, work.  Today, I am going to do laundry.  Now, I know that most times, this is not newsworthy, BUT --- it's a test day and I have every finger and toe crossed that it turns out well.

It's not the only thing I'm doing today, but multi-tasking will occur.  A not-so-early morning out to the studio has my block finished except to bury threads.  This feels so good.  Why not-so-early?  I just could not shut my brain down last night and got very little sleep,  I am hoping that it's not the start of a series.  Next is to quickly run through the Barn Star blocks that I cut yesterday.  They go together well, and for that I am thankful.


Part of putting clean clothes away has me pulling dresses out and trying them on.  I have found quite a few to take with on our trip next month.  I think --- so many things could change in the next 10 days.


I managed to work on a couple of Dear Jane blocks today as well and finished them up this evening.  They are not the best AND the black/white one required me to open one quadrant and insert a piece I had missed.  THAT was fun.  It was also listed as easy and I would disagree.


Last item for today - my threads are buried and the block is trimmed.  Forever My Valentine is current.  That's two for today.


24th -  Well, I should have gone out to the studio this morning, but I actually slept in.  Maybe because the previous night minimal sleep happened, but still . . . so - nothing to report from there.  I do have plans - I need to quilt on Pfeffernusse, BUT I also need to reorg a few things.  Perhaps tomorrow.  

So --  once I got moving, it was straight to Dear Jane.  I'm getting soooo close to finishing up the blocks for August and September.  I got down to the very last one and was stumped for a bit --- even Mister decided to help and kept bringing me tools to work with.  They are cool tools, but a glass and pen finally did the trick, lol.  By this time, my stack of fabrics used on Civil War blocks this month is pretty intense.  Tomorrow, they will return to their tote.  Towards late afternoon, all I have left on blocks is applique so my machine is able to focus on something else.   Something a bit larger.  I took a couple of hours and finished the four scarves that I had previously cut out.  They are ready for our trip and perhaps a couple will turn out to be gifts.  One is never sure, but it is a strong possibility.


Evening television time was spent working on some of the applique and I'm now down to just one block before I'm finished with this task for the month.  It's all pretty exciting at this point.


25th - It may seem as though today is a NON-day but, I would disagree.  I did work on two POD blocks AND some applique towards the last Dear Jane block of the stack, but I didn't finish much.  Why is that?  I'm not sure, but I also got my desk cleaned and the bills paid - no camera proof of that, I know.  Tomorrow is another day and perhaps Dear Jane will finish then --- tonight, time with my sweetie talking of Greenland.  MY one POD block doesn't show the fabric very well.  I will enhance that with embroidery.  Wait and see.


26th - Well, we spent the morning working on our upcoming trip - going through items needed and checking on clothing, etc.  While Mister finished up his inventory, I completed the hand work on my last Dear Jane block for October.  I did it!!  Two months of all three quilt-a-longs are done.  I can breathe a bit easier now.  Psst - don't look too close as this one was CHALLENGING for me.


The we were off to run errands and stopped for some fish at chips -- so, so good.


In the ladies room - things that make you go hmmmm.  Interesting location for this product.


With the completion of the last DJ block, the photos for September and October happened.  YES!  So did the posts and I'm good to go.  September was kind of a pink month.


October - a little more vaied.


27th - Another day, another stack of items to work on.  Isn't that just daily life?  This morning I am working on plans while we are in Canada and as I go into the office to use the computer, I notice that Mister is starting to accumulate items.  Too funny.


After a couple hours of vacation planning, I need to stand a bit and getting Periwinkle Squared all cut is the perfect ticket.  It not only makes progress on this item, but I get some upright time in as well.


At this point, both of us start working on packing a bit and somehow that turns into cleaning rooms and putting things away that have been sitting around.  I took another whole armful of items out to the studio and still have a covered bed.  Goodness.  I also finally managed to get all my new patterns put away AND got Dear Jane papers and books under control.  Whew.  The next task involved plastic bags.  Am I the only one who seems to accumulate these in ALL sizes?  I must have sorted through about a hundred of them and will recycle as many as possible.  It was a bit crazy.  

Late afternoon, I sat down to do the blanket stitching on my vests and after just a few minutes, bagged it and went to the machine.  Within an hour, both vests were done and that's another task off my plate.  I'll take these on the cruise and then they are Montana bound in October.  With Mister feeling a bit weak today, I made some chicken soup and then settled in for some evening binding.  I guess there is a chance that I can have a finish this month - Fingers crossed that it happens.  I made it about half way around, so chances look good.


28th - Monday morning and a new attitude!  I'm up and moving.  With only a few days this week before we leave, I still have items on my list that I would love to have marked off.  One is to finish organizing the studio and have some sense of order to my world.  In order to move around, I had to run at least one row on the longarm --- check and done.  As is the cleanup.  I hope to use this area a bit more in October and November so that I go into the new year with NO ready-to-quilt projects in the queue.


Next up:  Kit up all remaining Country Christmas blocks so that I can take them as hand work on the trip.  Done.


Two more POD blocks are ready for embroidery.  They are also going on our adventure.


Now, for the big finish today.  I settled into my chair and finished the binding and hanging sleeve on Xing.  It is TA-DONE.




Computer time and I also pinned all the book titles onto my POD blocks so that they are ready to pack.  It's getting real Y'all.

29th - I am DRIVEN today.  Yep - the month is almost over, I should be packing for a trip, and my list is still there.  How much can I get finished today so that tomorrow I can start cleaning up the house and opening the suitcases?  Let's find out.  Step one:  Out to the studio and a bit of quilting.  Two full funs and back inside.  Still progress AND the quilt top is off the floor so there's that.


I have the Designer Mystery from 2022 setting blocks to finish cutting and I set to it with a vengeance today.  One of the items that came with the mystery is Alphabitties.  I've never used these before, but they are DANG handy.  It's all cut and ready to sew.  Phew.


AFTER making all the blocks and cutting the entire rest of the quilt, including binding, this is the amount of fabric I have leftover.  It's enough for a whole additional quilt.  Now to find the perfect pattern.


At the machine, I manage to get the two POD blocks for September made so that I can take one of them with me and work on the embroidery during the cruise.  The other was a BEAST, but I love it so much.  That's it for today.  A few more things for tomorrow and then the cleaning begins.


30th - So - after being sooooo far behind at the beginning of the month, it feels really good to have had August all to myself.  So much has happened and the stress level is drastically reduced going into September - especially with a trip and a retreat happening so little time to be productive.  


However, I still have two days and I don't wish to waste them one little bit.  Out to the studio for some quilting and I have the top almost complete.  Tomorrow, she'll come off the frame and I'll get another one loaded if all goes to plan.  The funny thing here is that check out how tight this one is.  Each side is BARELY making it with the batting.  I don't think I've ever come that close.  I had sewn a piece onto this batting earlier and hoped that it would be enough as it didn't go quite to the end of the batting and it did --- by 1/2".  Crazy -- the other side is dead even with the edge of the top at the very last corner.  To top it all off, the next picture shows where the backing ends.  Around 1 1/2" remaining after the bottom is done AND that is with some quilting to still happen.  I'm breathing a sigh of relief that it looks as though it will all happen, but how close is that?  Woah.


Into the house and after breakfast, I worked up a cute pillow real quick and then started the quilting on the table runner from MSQC in July.


At this point, I didn't need the cutting table anymore ---- that means the dining room is back for the first time since July.  I even changed out the runner and placemats to reflect that it will be more "fall" when we return.


Here is my little pillow TA-DONE!  It was a Row by Row block that I thought would make a cute pillow with some borders added.  It worked.



And - one more TA-DONE!  This table runner is complete - binding and threads buried too.  Yay me!!!  Then it was off to the computer to finish all the maps for the trip and get some final details finished.  I've cleaned out my purse and packed my tote.  I still haven't opened a suitcase, but I have time.  I don't leave until Friday around noon, ya know.


31st - The last day of the month has arrived.  My plan is laundry and packing.  Somehow I need to make sense of all the items I've been gathering and piling in the den.  However, before all that I went to the studio and finished the quilting on Pfeffernusse.  Yep, another one in the stack for binding next month, but I feel good about getting it done.  I wanted to load Long May She Wave, but I need to do a frankenbatting first and just wasn't up to it today.  Also, for next month.


That's about it for today as the rest is boring, trip preparation stuff.  I have a crazy rash I'm dealing with AND pulled some muscle in my stomach to boot.  It's a great way to start a trip.  Oh well, life hands us what it does.  

With that, we are saying hello to September and my personal beginning of fall.  I know the calendar says something different, but that's how I feel.  One of the things that binds us together is TIME - spend some with each other doing some shop-hopping.  Perhaps just to purchase the items in this little bag - and then make one or two or a dozen to share.  Truly - these are the ties that bind. 


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.

UFO's to quilt:  these are staying on this list and I am so hoping to actually make progress this year with the quilting aspect. 

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - at MSQC
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - at MSQC
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - quilted and ready for binding to be attached
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Xing - quilt and bind - DONE
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind - quilted and ready for binding to be attached
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind - quilted and ready for binding to be attached

Current Projects:

Sunny Patches BOM Mystery - current
Designer Mystery 2022 - all alternate blocks cut and ready to sew
Designer Mystery 2023 - current
Spooky Season BOM - at MSQC
BB Civil War Sampler - current
Loyal Union Sampler - current
Dear Jane - current
Country Christmas BOM (2 per month) - a lot behind here kitted and packed to take on cruise
Harry Potter POD BOM - making progress - June has one block to embroider, July, August, and September blocks done, need embroidery, 
Anna's Baskets BOM - ready to quilt, binding and label made
Sewcialites BOW - sandwiched and ready to quilt, binding made
Bountiful BOM - at MSQC
Barn Star BOM - current
Forever My Valentine - current
Feathered Star BOW - making progress
FQS - Hallo-Ween Mystery QAL - at MSQC, binding and label made
MSQC Project #1 - Block Star - at MSQC
MSQC Project #2 - Connected Hearts Table Runner - DONE
MSQC Project #3 - Periwinkle Squared - Completely cut and into a project box
Pressed Flowers BOM - current
Vests - DONE
Scarves - DONE

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
Alphabet project from MSQC last summer - 
Half Moon Rising project from MSQC last summer - 
Snail Trail Quilt from MSQC last summer - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 
Summer Moon - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Sandcastles -
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
Farm Girl - at MSQC, binding and label made
Round Robin (mine) - make back/label/binding, quilt and bind
Row by Rows - 
Long May She Wave - ready to quilt, binding and label made
Oh Happy Day - set, quilt and bind
Skillbuilder - quilt and bind 
Joy-Filled - set, quilt and bind


UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2023 Monthly Posts - 

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed reading this, you truly are a very organized adult! I would like to follow your Facebook page. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the time with your sweetie!! 🍩☕️

    ReplyDelete