Saturday, September 30, 2023

September 2023 Quilt Update

 

Our theme this year, Binding Us Together, is just so needed.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a whirl.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go:  That brings us to September and my personal beginning of fall.  I know the calendar days something different, but that's how I feel.  One of the things that binds us together is TIME - spend some with each other doing some shop-hopping.  Perhaps just to purchase the items in this little bag - and then make one or two or a dozen to share.  Truly - these are the ties that bind. 

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far this year), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st -  A new month means new blocks for the Civil War sew-alongs.  It's not too late to join in as two of them go all year and the third is a two-year project.  Here are the September blocks and links to join the groups if you wish.  Barbara Brachman Sampler

The Loyal Union Sampler blocks for September.

Dear Jane blocks for September.

The APQ Challenge for this month is: #10 and for me that is Farm Girl.   I finished the backing in July and the label/binding in August.  While at MSQC in July, I turned it in for quilting.  Now, I wait.

However, something I've been waiting for since August, 2022.  We are packed and on our way to GREENLAND.  Today, we fly to Baltimore to meet up with Kelly and Shonie, our travel companions.  Here is the link for Days 1 and 2 of Great Adventure.


I got to meet Shonie today.  Her second flight is the same as ours so we are "three" at this point.


Yay --- we've achieved contact with Kelly and our merry band is complete.


2nd - Mister and I decide to explore Baltimore until it is time to board the ship. We have a great time and the link has all the cool history we discover.   


It's time to board and there is our ship - The Legend.


Mister's harem.


Easy boarding and we are already wandering.


A beautiful sunset for the first night.



3rd - I'm not putting a lot of the cruise stuff on this post.  Click the link for Days 3-5 to live vicariously.  I did settle in and do some handwork today.  I got one book title finished.  Woohoo.  Hey, give me a beak - I'm on vacation.


Another beautiful sunset.



4th - Today, I am still working on my block AND I've found a spot to hang out together and work on projects.  It's not a great spot, but large tables are hard to come by except in the eating areas.  We may decide to do that anyway after this.  We do get a lot of people stopping by to ask questions as to the projects, though.  I'm so glad we decided to bring something along to work on.  We have 5 sea days before first port and we might lose our minds otherwise.


Progress happens ---- TA-DA --- one block done.  That means June is done.


So, I'll share today's towel art, cos it's just so cute.


5th - We've found a table on Lido and are happily working away today.  I manage to get a second TA-DA.  First July block.


A few fun shots - 


6th - Two more days at sea and then, today it was announced that we are not going to Greenland.  I am soooooo bummed.  Damn hurricanes.  Here is the link for Days 6 and 7 if you care to follow along.  The water is pretty angry and we are still quite a distance from the storms.  Yes, storms.  Two of them are playing in the Atlantic right now.  I get a new block started, but no finish and no pics.


Dinner out at the steakhouse tonight.


7th - We are putting along SLOWLY as they try and figure out what we are doing.  It's crazy foggy out this morning, but that doesn't stop me from sewing.  I came close to finishing a block, but ran out of black thread and so I'll be borrowing from Kelly tomorrow.


We get a partial sunset.


8th - We were supposed to be in Greenland today, but instead they moved the Corner Brook port to today.  Messed with everyone's excursions, but fortunately that didn't affect us.  We were always walking to explore the area.  Here is the link for Day 8 Corner Brook - come check out Newfoundland.




Yep, we got Screeched In.  If you don't check the link (with video and all) --- then google it.  Fun times.


9th - We have another port day today --- they managed to move another and screw up excursions once again.  Gotta tell ya - there are some unhappy people on board.  Again, we planned on walking, so we are good.  Here is the Port Two - Sydney, Nova Scotia link if you want to check it out.


One of the places we visited has this on display:  


It is SOOOO fascinating to me -- this lace making method.  No, I don't need to gain another new hobby, but it is pretty incredible.



Good drinks, good food, and great friends to finish the day on shore.




AND - a new turtle for my collection - made from sea glass.


Pssst - last people on the ship.  Funny story - check the link.


Ahhhhh - resting the feet after two days with a LOT of walking.


10th - Sea Day today and it included a whale, a cocktail party, and baked Alaska.  Here is the link for   Days 10 and 11 so you can share in our adventures.


11th - Port Day #3 St. Anthony, Newfoundland and this one didn't get changed so all things are a go.  Again, we didn't plan much, so off we go to explore.  I hope you checked the link because today was the BEST port day ever.  No joke.  We have so many wonderful memories and wish to return.




Right before boarding, we stop in at the Grenfell Center and find QUILTS!  Who knew.


And fabric for sale.  We start the hunt for a treasure and soon discover someone in the back cutting puffin fabric.  Add some for us please.



Oh, and I got some jewelry today as well.  SUCH a fun day.


12th - After such a great day yesterday, I woke up today with a tickle in my throat.  I hope it means that I just had a bit too much fun.  Here is the Day 12 LINK to our fun.  I REALLY made progress on my blocks today.  I no longer know which ones belongs to each month.  Just going with done.  Finished this one:  TA-DA  


Got the black thread from Kelly and finished this one up as well.  TA-DA


AND, I got a third one done as well.  Productive day.


I even started the last block, but didn't finish so that is for another day.  Tonight we had the Chef's Table and it was sooooooo good.  I can't wait to do it again.



13th - Well, I don't think it's from having too much fun.  I think I have a cold coming on and am taking meds.  Throat is sore and now my nose is stuffy.  Ugh.  It is our last port day, though, and I'm determined to have a great time.  Here is the link for our day in Halifax, Nova Scotia and it was another fun day, for sure.


Hmmmmm - the shirt --- if you've been reading the blog posts, you know what this is about.


BEST times with friends.


14th - Well, we are at the final sea days and I really want to finish up my last HP block (forget that I have a dozen blocks still for another project and I haven't even looked at them)  Here is the Final Days LINK to peek in on us.  TA-DA -- this project is caught up --- in fact, I'm even one block ahead, I think.


Another towel art share as it's my love --- sea turtle.


Even ended the day with my favorite Carnival dessert - Grand Marnier Souffle.


15th - Out last full day on board and I am in full out miserable cold mode.  Still taking meds like crazy and attempting to keep my distance, but I think Mister is doomed.  I spend a bit of time in bed this morning and then we are meeting Shonie and Kelly for sushi at noon.  I'm good with some soup -- they can all enjoy the sushi.  Isn't this pretty?


I get the packing done and then wander the ship a bit ---- when I return, Mister is on the balcony, just enjoying the day.


Watching the sunset always makes my heart happy.



What a fabulous wait staff --- Arun, Feland, and Bernard.  Best team ever.


16th - Into Baltimore bright and early.  It's beautiful. 



Saying good-byes is tough.


Crazy empty airport --- Oh, and my love is now sick too.  Ugh.  Super thankful for whoever brought this on board to share.


We get home safe and sound --- dump everything and head to bed.  Yuck to us.

17th - Mister slept about 16 hours and still feels awful as do I.  This is our normal recovery day, but this time we really need it.  I did manage to make a pot of chicken soup and work on some pictures, but that's about it.  Then I binged Sweet Magnolias all afternoon without leaving the sofa for hours.  Meds and misery.  Ugh.  Staring at suitcases that need to be unpacked.

18th - I woke up with a little more energy and quickly went to get the mail and some groceries.  I started unpacking - got the big suitcase with hanging items done.  Then wiped out again and spent all afternoon binging Travelers from the sofa and feeling like I'm going to leave this planet soon.

19th - Apparently, I pushed it too much yesterday.  I am really feeling yuck still and super worried about going to retreat.  Kelly is sick now sick, too.  Finally, in the afternoon, I call Debi and let her know I just can't go.  No way I want to continue to share this treat like the soul who brought it on ship did.  

20th - I have now sat around so much that my sciatica is killing me.  To combat it -- I finish unpacking the other two suitcases as that has me slowly walking around the house.  That's about it.

21st - Retreat starts today, but not for me.  I did manage to get the flights to Montana booked  Oct 14 - Nov. 4 and that's about the sum total of another day.  It was a movie day --- chick flicks.  That is all.

22nd - I finally got back to working on pictures.  At some point, the posts need to happen and I am running out of month, once again.  So that I could stand awhile, I went to the iron and cutting table.  I got the beginning of this months Forever My Valentine ironed on and ready for applique.


Then I spent 3 HOURS working on POD blocks for October and November.  I really want to get these done before we go to Montana.


I cut all the BOM's that had arrived in the mail or were posted.


AND - I received this in the mail from Gilley.  What a sweet, thoughtful gift.  She is a delight and this was such a surprise to me.


23rd - I'm trying so hard to get back on schedule (still have a horrid cough) and so managed some blogging and pics in morning.  Then I cut another block that came in the mail.  Yep, that means the Sew Sampler box arrived.


24th -  It's Sunday - I want out of the house, so we walk to White Rock Coffee ---- I'm still not ready for coffee, but a Turmeric Ginger Chai Tea fits the bill nicely, along with a pumpkin scone.  It's a half mile down and half mile back - so a mile of movement today.  Now, I'm tired again.  Mister decided to mow the lawn and about killed himself.  He's still sick and it's 100 degrees out.  Crazy man.  Now, we're  both relaxing.


25th -  I'm still plodding along with pictures and blogging - posts are going up, finally.  It's such a daunting exercise when feeling good.  Now -- even more so.  At least I am feeling better each day.  The laundry gets tackled today AND I even tried to get back on course with sewing each day.  I went to the studio first thing and did the applique on the large hearts for FMV.  If I do a bit each day, I can get this done before the month ends.  I took this straight to the house and ironed on the remaining parts - more applique tomorrow.


Sunny Patches block for this month gets put together and I guess I'm really still kinda off.  It's not my best block, but it's done.


Into the top it goes.  One more month and this will be done.  I LOVE BOM's that let us build the quilt as we go.  That's it for today - time to rest and relax as I don't want a relapse.


26th - Started the day out in the studio working on FMV working on a couple of thread colors.  


Then, into the office for pictures and blogging.  I finished the pictures so that part is behind me.  Woohoo.  More posts up and I'm getting close to being done.  Wanting to cruise again, Kelly and I booked a new cruise for Jan. 27 - Feb. 3 and Gwen and Frieda are going along.  Woot woot.  Back to the sewing machine and Pressed Flowers for this month is also finished.  Checking off one a day is what I can do right now.


27th - The last post from the trip is up and I'm breathing easier.  Now, all I have is the daily update here and I can sail to the end of the month.  My accomplishment for today is the DM block for September.  Then did the office work for the past few weeks and called it a day.  Getting stronger each day.


28th - Hey there -- guess what?  I pretty much feel back to normal except I'm tired a lot.  Other than that - minimal coughing is all I have.  Out to the studio and FMV for this month is done - for now.  There will be more done to it when the embellishment kit arrives.


AND - the Barn Star blocks for this month are finished as well.  The colors on this quilt just don't contrast enough (IMO), but I'm getting through it.  


29th - Starting out the day with some sewing on Feathered Star Revisted, I peter out so quick and only really got a start on the twosies for the four-patches of Week 3.  


I am not sure just where my strength is hiding out, but today winds up being another hang out on the sofa day.    I binged Bewitched (I know, right?) and just sat.  Finally, I realized that I could be doing something with my hands and not be too exhausted, so I set to work on one of the Country Christmas blocks from May --- yep, May - I am THAT far behind.  By the time the day is pretty much over, I have it finished.  Yay me.


30th - Even though it is Saturday and a day to play - neither of us is still crazy strong.  Mister sleeps in and I work on another block while watching a movie.  Both of my May blocks are now in the done column.  I manage to get about halfway through with a second block today before it's time to function.


We really do need to go and get some groceries, so we tack a late lunch onto the plate before hitting up Costco.  Yum.


Evening t.v. time had me finish a third block (1st for June) and that feels great.  I'm so pleased with this as I have hauled these all over (Missouri trip and cruise, etc.) without touching them.  Now, I'm finally making good progress.


And that pretty much wraps up September for me.  Considering how much we were gone and a week of being sick, I'm SOOOO thankful that I worked ahead a bit last month.

October is my most favorite month of the year.  Honest - never mind the fact that the weather is nice and the world is beautiful, but it's also my anniversary month and the fact that this sweet man has made another trip around the sun with me is always humbling.  For this month, those ties that bind seem especially important to me.  Let's gather together as often as possible.  Join a Bee, have a sleepover, plan a weekend adventure, whatever helps to strengthen those ties for you.  Our FRIENDS are the real treats in life.  Never forget that --- they are not around because they were born to be near you, but because they choose to be.  THAT is a treat and something to be treasured and fed.  Have fun this month - you can do it.  


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.

UFO's to quilt:  these are staying on this list and I am so hoping to actually make progress this year with the quilting aspect. 

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - at MSQC
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - at MSQC
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - quilted and ready for binding to be attached
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - at MSQC
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind - quilted and ready for binding to be attached
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind - quilted and ready for binding to be attached
Farm Girl - at MSQC
Long May She Wave - quilt and bind


Current Projects:

Sunny Patches BOM Mystery - current
Designer Mystery - current
Spooky Season BOM - at MSQC
BB Civil War Sampler - current
Loyal Union Sampler -  current
Dear Jane - current
Country Christmas BOM (2 per month) - May and 1 June block done
Harry Potter BOM - current
Anna's Baskets BOM - ready to quilt, binding and label made
Sewcialites BOW - sandwiched and ready to quilt, binding made
Bountiful BOM - at MSQC
Barn Star BOM - current
Forever My Valentine - current
Feathered Star BOW - minimal progress
FQS - Hallo-Ween Mystery QAL - at MSQC, binding and label made
MSQC Project #1 - Block Star - at MSQC, binding and label made
MSQC Project #3 - Periwinkle - 


UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
Alphabet project from MSQC last summer - 
Half Moon Rising project from MSQC last summer - 
Snail Trail Quilt from MSQC last summer - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 
Summer Moon - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Sandcastles -
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
Round Robin (mine) - backing/binding/label, quilt and bind
Row by Rows - 
Oh Happy Day - set, quilt and bind
Skillbuilder - quilt and bind 
Joy-Filled - set, quilt and bind


UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2023 Monthly Posts - 

No comments:

Post a Comment