Tuesday, October 31, 2023

October 2023 Quilt Update

Our theme this year, Binding Us Together, is just so needed.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a whirl.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go:  October is my most favorite month of the year.  Honest - never mind the fact that the weather is nice and the world is beautiful, but it's also my anniversary month and the fact that this sweet man has made another trip around the sun with me is always humbling.  For this month, those ties that bind seem especially important to me.  Let's gather together as often as possible.  Join a Bee, have a sleepover, plan a weekend adventure, whatever helps to strengthen those ties for you.  Our FRIENDS are the real treats in life.  Never forget that --- they are not around because they were born to be near you, but because they choose to be.  THAT is a treat and something to be treasured and fed.  Have fun this month - you can do it.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far this year), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.


1st -  A new month means new blocks for the Civil War sew-alongs.  It's not too late to join in as two of them go all year and the third is a two-year project.  Here are the September blocks and links to join the groups if you wish.  Barbara Brachman Sampler



The Loyal Union Sampler blocks for October.


Dear Jane blocks for October.

The APQ Challenge for this month is: Number 5 - For me, that is an old BOM.  It was dropped at MSQC in July for quilting -- now I wait.

We are out of the house bright and early for some garden walking,   Here is the Autumn at the Arboretum LINK so that you can share in all the Charlie Brown fun.



After the gardens, Dog Haus hits the spot except the tooth that I repaired at retreat last summer has made it's way out again.  Awesome.  After the lunch - home to relax and watched Don't Worry Darling.  Very strange.


Today's mail ---- MSQC thread sale, new tools, and a light.  NO FABRIC!!  Woohoo.  


Well, except this came today too, BUT it was a preorder from 6 months ago and I haven't ordered anything new.


On the sofa, while watching television - one block done (finishes up May)


and another on the way.

2nd - Out the door today -- Subaru into the shop this morning and then a dentist appointment to get the tooth fixed.  While hanging at the auto dealer --- saw this ornament online -- how fun.  Dentist worked out for me to go to Bedford on Thursday and get my tooth fixed at the lab.  Yay - not.


Another block done.


3rd - About all I accomplished today was booking trips for next year and this block.  July is done.  I booked 4 events for next year by the time I was done (January cruise, July MSQC, September beach, and Houston Quilt Festival).


4th - I am a lazy beast.  Crazy storm tonight, though.



5th - Left the house before 8 to make it to Bedford by 9.  Then sat and waited 3 hours for my tooth to get fixed and drove home.  That was fun - hahahaha.  Kind of a long morning.  Did spot this drink online while hanging out --- looks yummy.  Started watching Murder on Orient Express until Mister got off work.  Paused.


Off to Intrinsic in Garland and their new upper deck is open.  The grand opening is this weekend so we're getting a sneak peek.  



The new downtown park is almost finished.  It's grand opening is on the 14th with a huge party, but we will already be in Montana by the time it starts.  Oh well.


One more block done.


6th - Where is my ambition?  I have got to get a motivated.  I start out by pulling fabrics for the November Civil War blocks.  Whew.  For two of the quilts -- that's it, last of the blocks.  Dear Jane still has a year to go.  Then, I actually went to the sewing machine and started drafting a block that will have Harry's invisibility cape.  It has  LONG way to go, but I'm starting.


While at the machine --- a hat for the bookshelf happened as well.  I know that the pattern calls for the Sorting Hat and a cat, but would that REALLY be on Harry's bookshelf?  I struggle with some of these blocks for just that reason.


Also, the second August block is turned under and pinned on - ready to finish.


7th - I so love October and today we are going to enjoy the weather at the Cottonwood Art Festival. Here is  the LINK for our day - what a nice time.   I did spot this quilt-related item.  It's painted and very busy, but I did spend some time with Mister seeing how many blocks we knew the name of right off the top of our heads.  We did pretty decent.


Our single purchase --- this piece of glass --- yep, almost looks like pottery, right?


Meanwhile, back at the house, something fun was delivered.  I will happily put this away  until the fun begins on December 1.



For the evening fun, we went to Andy's for hot fudge sundaes and when they handed them to Mister -- the fudge looked like turds on the ice cream.  He took it back and asked for it to be "hot" and they informed him that the machine was not working right.  He pointed at a microwave and they said they were too busy to use that.  He looked around and behind him -- no one in line.  We then left and went to Sonic for hot fudge sundaes.  Ugh.

8th - I miss walking at the Dallas Zoo and since today is a member morning -- that is where we are navigating towards.  Here is the LINK and I would tell you that I got some pretty fun pics this go round.  Check them out.    burger for lunch, lost purse, met Jen and Jon for dinner




A stop at Burger House for lunch and it was super yummy.  Then back home - finished the second August CC block and then got ready to go and meet Jen and Jon in Euless for dinner.  At this point, I realized that my purse was missing -- back to the Burger House we go - retrieve purse and head to Euless.  We are just a bit late for dinner, but have a nice time and somehow manage not to take a single picture.  Drat.  


9th -  My sweet Mister has to go to the office today to turn in his computer and receive a new one.  He'll be gone most of the day and I have rare home alone time.  What to do, what to do?  The first thing is to set up a machine in the living room so that I can get some bindings attached.  Pfeffernusse is on and ready to hand stitch down.


Followed by the Quarantine quilt - 


and Straits of Mackinac.  Lots of nighttime stitching in my future - but likely not until next month or maybe even December.  Time will tell.


Then, while the machine is set up - I started the quilting on the Sewcialite project.  I will attempt to get one quadrant done each day and maybe I will have a finish this month.


I settled onto the sofa for a bit and got the first September CC block pinned.


Then -- the second HP block for October.  I'm still one block ahead and I'm going to apply that to November.  This still needs the embroidery done, so not quite a finish yet.


Now to finish that block I pinned earlier.  Yes!!


10th - Happy Anniversary to us.  We've been married for 13 trips around the sun now and I am in awe of how fast the time has gone by.  Still have stars in my eyes - so that's a good thing.  A second quadrant on my Sewcialites happens while breakfast is cooking. 


Next up -- the November blocks for BB Sampler are ready to go.  One less thing to take to Montana this month.  That is awesome.


The computer was blessed with my presence this afternoon so that I could work on some pictures.  Seems like I can get behind so easily if I'm not careful.  Mister and I snuck away for a few hours this evening so share our day in one of our all-time favorite ways.  For a 10-10-10 anniversary - it seemed fitting to go to Times 10 Cellars.  We even brought home a couple of bottles of a yummy zinfandel.  Happy, happy to us.


11th - My 3rd quadrant is marked as done and then I moved on to getting lots of prep work done on November's DJ blocks.  Most of them will be making the trip to Montana once again.


Some more time on the computer and then I managed to finish up the second September block for CC.  I am slowly, but surely getting caught up on this.  I only have October's blocks left and they are the last two.  This project is coming to a close - well, at least the blocks part is.


12th - First thing this morning --- the fourth quadrant is quilted and binding attached.  Then, I settle in and make this a TA-DONE!!  Thank you, Fat Quarter Shop, for this fun project.  It'll look great on the wall.  All squares are 3 1/2" and ONLY NOW as I'm putting this picture on a post do I notice that the butterfly is flying sideways.  I managed to put the hanging sleeve on the wrong side.  Oh well, it is what it is.


13th - It's a finish up day.  I've cut the remaining blocks for LU and they are kitted up to take to Montana.  The Designer Mystery BOM arrived and I got it cut too, then cleaned up the cutting table and we have a dining room back.  Onto the applique and the DJ blocks that have it are done for November and packed with the rest of the blocks to finish there.  Ironing area is cleaned up as well and I've gathered everything that needs to be packed.  The blog is caught up, flight confirmed, mail stopped, and I think I've tackled all the mundane things before leaving.  

14th - We are off to Montana for our annual fall trip.  It's also the annular eclipse today and while we are at the airport, time works out for us to take a peek.  Yep, I brought glasses along just in case it all worked out.  Here is the LINK for the first week of our trip so that you can share in our fun, if so desired.  Flight goes well and soon we are over the Flathead valley and the colors are just beautiful.  The tamaracks have turned as well as the hardwoods.  Love this time of year up here.  My niece and her family pick us up, dinner at Sacred Waters and then down to Mom's.  Long day, but fun.



15th - Up here in Montana and enjoying the cooler weather.  Breakfast out and then to Costco where I managed to buy a ton of clothes, lol.  Once back home, Mom and I put out her fall decorations and there were a couple I really liked - thought I'd share.   



Dinner is out and then home to watch the Ranger game.  It's game 1 of the AL Championship series and they win in Houston.


16th - Montana is just so gorgeous right now.  Every day is breathtaking.  I make an early morning trip to Kalispell for my sweetheart (who is lacking a computer part) and thoroughly enjoyed the drive.  Please check out the link above for the gorgeous pictures.  I'll share a couple here, but there are so many more. Sunrise first - ahhhhh.


River view.


When I returned home, a call to Missouri Star happens as I received notice that my quilts were finally getting quilted.  Of course they are when I'm out of town for two weeks.  Changed the delivery address on them and now Jen will get hers and mine.   Lucky her.  HAHAHAHA.   I started setting up my sewing station today and my 301 needs to be babied a bit before use.  Mom showed me a quilt she wants - so, thinking cap is on.  Ranger game 2 in the evening and another win.  


17th - It a lazy Montana day!  I managed to do a little handwork and finished the embroidery on a part of a block along with finishing a second.  However, first -- some beauty on my walk today.


Here is the finished block. 


I even did a spa day for my little lady.  Discovered that she needs some "stuff" up here so Mister started a list for the next shopping day.  Simple stuff like canned air and a L-shaped screwdriver.


 For the evening we went to Dairy Queen for dinner.  It was not the ideal place and nothing went well, check the link for the whole story.    

18th - Shopping Day.  I picked up all the stuff Mister wanted and we got the snow tires on the car for Mom.  Also some fun items, like ornaments, were found.  It was a nice day until Mom realized she lost one of her watches that we had with us to get the batteries replaced.  So sad.  Back home and some embroidery while watching game 3 - Rangers lost.  More sad. 


19th - With all the embroidery finished, I can now assemble this block.  It is done - YAY!  No one knows what it is or can ready it, but I'm good with that cos I KNOW.  


My DM block gets sewn as well.  Loving this one.


AND I even finish up another CC block.  Woohoo --- only one more left.  He's wonky, but so am I.  The day comes to a close with the Rangers losing again.  Dang.


20th - An ad from Shabby Fabrics has me breaking my vow to not purchase anything right now, BUT - it's so cute and I'll get it done at retreat so it won't be a new UFO.


After a trip to the store for groceries, Mom and I trimmed the peonies.  She started the first couple and then I took over.  One more thing marked off the list.


We ended the day with this amazing view.  Check out the link above for more shots.  Home to watch the Rangers lose once more.  Back to Houston for game 6


21st - The beginning of our second week in Montana starts with cows - yep cows.  Here is the Week 2 LINK so you can read all about it.  LOL -- or just look at the pictures.



It's beautiful here today.


And then this happened ---- Oh, you really should check out the link to see the videos.  I was mesmerized the entire time.  Soooo fun to watch.


Then to Kalispell to take my brother-in-law to the hospital - not home until around midnight.  I'm beat.

22nd - Family in the morning and home to sew for a bit.  The day ended with the Rangers winning in Houston - onto game 7.


23rd - Into Kalispell to pick up my brother-in-law from the hospital and run an errand for Mom.  That's pretty much it.  Dinner and the game.  Rangers are heading to the World Series.


24th - We have a wonderful weather change. Winter arrived as I was taking Sis and Joe to town for a doctor appointment and some  grocery s hopping.  


Sooooo pretty.


25th - I am finally starting to feel a bit better - Mister is busy outside as I have to go into town again today.


Back to Kalispell with Sis and Joe for more appointments.  Home to dinner and to do some applique while watching television.  

26th - I made a quick run into Bigfork early in the morning to get some donuts for Mom.  A craving must be met.  Then home to sew.  I finished up 7 LU blocks and then took Sis to town for a couple of errands.  Finished the applique on this block - the LAST block for this project.  Onto setting.


Jen has had quite the day with box arrivals at her house.  All of our quilts that we dropped in Hamilton in July are on their way home --- how fun is this?  I have to wait until retreat next month to get mine, but that's okay.  I'm still excited.


27th - Up early today working on pictures and blog.  I finally have the LU blocks for November done and ready to post.  Whew.  I'm cutting things pretty close this month.


The Rangers pull off a win in the 11th inning tonight.  Onto game 2.


28th - Just another day in Montana.  Here is the  Beginning of Week 3 LINK  to all the fun in the first half of week 3.  A trip into town for some scarecrow fun - love the Minions.


Ending the day with sunset - so pretty.  Started working on the DJ blocks and managed to get 4 done.


29th - One of the things I've learned with paper-piecing this year is to take a picture of the layout and then use it to put things back together.  Thought I'd share.   


We decided to celebrate Mom's birthday today so that everyone could be a part of it.  Was such a great afternoon.



30th - More blocks today.  I may make it by the end of the month.


Went to lunch with Mom for her REAL birthday.  Fun times together.


Then a chance for the annual threesome pic.


A TA-DONE today.  I made the sample ornament for the Christmas Party.  Strange, but not too bad.


Game 3 - we have a second win.  At least with this we are assured of returning to DFW for a game.


31st - Montana  Happy Halloween!!!  I settle in at the machine and finish up the last horrific block.  It looks terrible, but it's done and somehow I will work miracles getting it into the quilt top.  Time will tell.  Maybe a whole lot more starch and pressing.  Once I finished, my little sewing corner is all cleaned up and packed away for the next visit.  I have some handwork still, but no need for a machine.  At least I hope not.


Family time in the evening and some cute costumes.  It's great to see both my niece and nephew and their families all together.  A real treat.



Some munching will take place with the leftovers.  Sorry, not sorry.


Well, even though Arizona made a fabulous comeback, the Rangers held the lead and put game 4 in the books.  Tomorrow is another day.  That brings us to the end of October and we are moving further into fall - well, at least I hope so.  I'm not totally into this whole winter thing this early.  

November means the annual gathering is taking place and that brings such a warmth to my heart.  It is amazing to get together with the same women (and new ones as well) for the past 10 November's.  Crazy wonderful.  For this month, I would heartily recommend attending a retreat and starting those incredible connections of your own.  Retreats are such a special place, where we truly love one another and lift each other up.  Go for it this month.






Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.

UFO's to quilt:  these are staying on this list and I am so hoping to actually make progress this year with the quilting aspect. 

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
BOM #2 - quilt and bind -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
BOM #3 - quilt and bind -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - binding attached and ready for hand stitching
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month. 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind - binding attached and ready for hand stitching
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind - binding attached and ready for hand stitching
Farm Girl -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
Long May She Wave - quilt and bind

Current Projects:

Sunny Patches BOM Mystery - 
Designer Mystery - current
Spooky Season BOM -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
BB Civil War Sampler - current
Loyal Union Sampler -  current
Dear Jane - current
Country Christmas BOM (2 per month) - CURRENT
Harry Potter BOM - current
Anna's Baskets BOM - ready to quilt, binding and label made
Sewcialites BOW - DONE
Bountiful BOM -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
Barn Star BOM - 
Forever My Valentine BOM - 
Feathered Star BOW - 
FQS - Hallo-Ween Mystery QAL -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
MSQC Project #1 - Block Star -  Quilted and delivered to Jen, I'll get next month.
MSQC Project #3 - Periwinkle - 


UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
Alphabet project from MSQC last summer - 
Half Moon Rising project from MSQC last summer - 
Snail Trail Quilt from MSQC last summer - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - quilt, assemble, bind
Summer Moon - set, quilt and bind label, backing, and binding done
Rhododendron Trail - 
Sandcastles - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
Round Robin (mine) - backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Row by Rows - 
Oh Happy Day - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Skillbuilder - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind 
Joy-Filled - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Rachel's Sewing Room - quilt borders and attach all parts
Desert Sky - 
Ruby Jubilee - 


UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2023 Monthly Posts - 

September 2023 Update

No comments:

Post a Comment