Tuesday, January 31, 2023

January 2023 Quilt Update

 


Our theme this year, Binding Us Together, is just so needed.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a whirl.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  January means new beginnings and I'm thinking that joining sew-a-longs can be a great way to continue our theme.  How about you?

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st - Happy New Year!!!  I did stay up to watch 2023 arrive.  Dallas does a drone show that is pretty cool and it is televised.  Are you ready for a New Year.  I am.  I cleaned up all of 2022 yesterday and have given myself new goals and a new plan.  


I am hosting THREE sew-alongs that went live today.  I'll just reshare the January monthly blocks and give you the links to the groups if you wish to join in.  First is Barbara Brachman's Civil War Sampler


Second is The Loyal Union Civil War Sampler


The third, and final one, is Dear Jane and we will be working on it for two years.


We will be in Montana for most of this month and my plan is to have lots of projects to keep me busy while there.  That means I have time at the cutting table once again.  Today is Country Christmas and I cut ALL parts except the appliques and bagged them up into block units.


I am also getting to the projects that came in my MSQC Advent Box last month.  Sooooo many fun projects to take with me.  I put them all out and made a list of the parts I need from the studio and then will pack them up too.  Other than prepping items, what else is going on in my life?  Well, Mister is sick and I'm staying as far away from him as I can and still be in the same house.  We definitely don't need to take anything to Montana in a week.  Ugh - poor guy.


2nd - Another kit is cut and organized into months.  This one is for Halloween and will have fun bats all over it.  I bought it with Jen last summer on our trip to Missouri and we agreed to wait until January for a start.  It's time.


My Sewcialite block for this week is done!  An easy one for a change and still my corners are not perfect.  I think it's my eyes these days.  I'm sticking to that.  My love is still sick and in hiding whenever he isn't checking things for work.  Meanwhile, I baked a cake and proceeded to eat quite a bit of it.  Yeah, I eat when I'm lonely.


3rd - Good morning!  Today is, hopefully, my last day of solid cutting.  The number of items is dwindling and I've a ton of baggies ready for the suitcase.  First up is a couple of Harry Potter blocks.  I'm short some floss, so a trip to JoAnn's took place as well as Costco for more medicine for my sweetie.



Upon my return, I turn to the last BOM that needs to be cut for the trip.  I fell in love with this quilt while in Missouri last summer and set to finding the patterns and fabrics - no easy feat, but I did it.  Block one happens this month.  Stay tuned for the fun.



4th - I set about packing my suitcase today to see if I can even get all the planned projects to fit.  It may happen.  A couple need some applique work done ahead so that's on the plate for today and tomorrow.


Check out these beautiful tools I received in the mail today.  They are made the following woods:  Bocote handles, Birdseye Maple blades, and a band of African Blackwood.  The tools are a hera marker, a seam ripper, and a point turner.  So very cool.


That's about it for today other than usual life stuff.  I remembered to get the mail stopped and am super proud of that one.  Whew.  Also cleaned out my purse and tote bag.  Yep, all those things we do only when required.

5th -  Today is "put Christmas away day."  It always makes me a little melancholy and this year I kind of feel cheated in my days of "atmosphere" in the house.  Due to traveling, I was late decorating and, again, due to traveling, it is coming down early.  I need to reevaluate my choices.  All quilts were switched out, linens all washed and put away.  I'm beat and still have the tree to wrap up and everything needs to be hauled to the attic tomorrow.  Mister is starting to feel a bit better and helped with the outdoor decorations before working on the leaves in the front yard and wearing himself out again.  Always good before a trip.



Wanting to get one more item ready for the trip, I'm off to the studio to finish up the applique I started yesterday.


Finally, I cut the new Sewcialite block and I'm now able to close the suitcase.  Goodness ---- I have NO clothes in here except a pair of slippers.  Too funny, right?


6th - Laundry, flight check-in, details, details, details.  That is what my morning has consisted of, BUT ---- I did sneak in an hour at the machine and put my Sewcialite block together.  These just make me smile - perfect or not.


Afternoon fun included finishing up the Christmas packing and hauling it all up to the attic.   I followed that up with a trip to the library to renew my card and then home to finish up the remaining packing while Mister mows the lawn.  Plants are watered and we are heading to bed early.  Away we go.

7th - It's a crazy early morning departure once again.  By 4:15, we've left the house for the airport run.  The car had to be dropped in long-term and then security lines before we finally board the flight at 7.  WOW.  One good thing - the sunrise as we're leaving the metroplex.  To follow along with our first week - here is the LINK.


A layover in Minneapolis is next.  It's a bit chilly here - 1 degree and even though we don't leave the airport, the jet bridge is FREEZING.


As we roam the mall at the Minneapolis airport, I discover a little quilt exhibit.  If you want to see and read about them, here is the LINK.  They were pretty cool.  Before we know it, we've grabbed a quick bite to eat and it's time for our second flight.  Kalispell is up next and the pilot tells us that if we wanted to land RIGHT now we would not be able to.  Apparently, there is intense fog ahead.  As we near our destination, the fog is still pretty thick, two hours later.


Even the drive down to Bigfork involves ground fog.  Wow - yep, there is a farm house in the picture.


8th -  A fabulous day just visiting with family.  I got to meet my new great-niece as well.  Three weeks old and super sweet.


Great-nephew, Greyson, is here, too, and loving time with Uncle.


9th -  Monday means Mister is at work and I need to get back on task a bit.  Mom sleeps a bit later than I do, thus I am quietly working on some embroidery.  These are the trees that came in my advent box and are just super cute, along with being red and white.  Let the red work commence.


By the time I can make noise, I have the outline on one tree finished.


Next up -- make the coin purse real quick.  Seems like an easy project to do while talking.


And it is --- it took less than an hour and is just so dang cute.



The rest of the day is devoted to taking down Mom's Christmas decorations and starting to pack them into the totes we've bought.  Apparently, we will need more totes as there is still stuff in the garage that she didn't use this year and my goal is go through it all.

By evening, I'm kind of beat, but still am hoping to keep moving a bit so I make the little button jar pin cushion from the advent box.  These are the buttons that remain after I've taken out all the ones for the pillow project.  It was jam-packed full upon arrival.  (Picture on right is when I first got it.)  

10th - I am working on the red/white trees when Mom comes in and asks if we can take Bailey, her dog, into the vet.  He's had some bad nights lately and she has already called.  Time to get dressed and go with her.  More details in the personal post, but it takes two trips, bloodwork, and medication before we're done.

Back home, I'm sewing a bit and trying to get my Puzzler blocks finished so they can go in the mail.  Mischief managed.


Next task is to get my evening hand-work project underway.  I want to work on the button pillow from the advent box and step one is to cut the blue fabric and mark the button placement.  Done.  While keeping Mom company in the evening, I get this far.  Not too bad of a start.


11th - A little update on the redwork - two trees have the stitching finished and are awaiting embellishments.


A trip to town ensues - more totes and other items.  Mom also had a doctors appointment.  By the time we're back, I quickly make a vegetable soup and throw some bread in the oven.  Jill is alone with the baby as her hubby is out of town and Greyson is with Gma, so I've invited her down for dinner.  It's fun to chat and spend time with baby.  Who wouldn't love it?  She woke up and was all alert and watching us towards the end and what a joy a little one brings to the heart.  Right?



12th - I finally have all the totes filled and put away in the garage.  I discovered a bit more stuff and need a wrapping paper organizer.  However, I have a ton of stuff for the dump and Mister is ready to go.  It's a muddy mess up there.


I ride along with Jill into town to help with kids and pick up the needed wrapping paper container.  Errands are run after we return, home to make dinner, and then back into town to help Jill some more.  I make a little run through the village to see the lights.


Through all of that --- I've made so much button progress the last couple of nights and I'm getting close now.  The buttons are done and all I have to do is sew the pillow cover front to the backs.


13th - It's TA-DONE!  I LOVE it so much.


I'm determined not to fall behind this month and today is BB blocks.  I brought enough kits with me to make two months worth.  Love these blocks and they go together so well.



My leader/ender for today is strips of leftover batik from the puzzler blocks - using it to make a binding for that project.


14th -  We are into our second week here and this is the  LINK  that will share in all of our fun.  Mister and I decided to get out and about a bit today.  He hadn't been to Columbia Falls so that is the direction we pointed the car.  Just before the final turn, we went the other directions for a fun detour.  First up was Bad Rock Canyon.  The link above will take you to this post and all of the cool information about the area.



I finished my little trees today and Mister cut the dowels to different heights for me.  This was a fun project. TA-DONE!


As for sewing on the machine - well two Harry Potter blocks are ready for embroidery.


15th - Food is on the blog today - the largest cinnamon roll EVER and homemade guacamole.  YUM to both.


Some chat time with Mom resulted in a finished HP block.  I had a little fun with this one.


16th - We went into Kalispell for lunch and a movie.  A Man Called Otto - was excellent.  Home late, picked up a pizza and called it a day.


Oh, wait - I spotted this quilt at the pizza stop.  Love it.


I did get a bit of sewing done tonight - my Sewcialite block for the week.


17th - I took Mom to doctor for labs in the a.m., stopped for a few groceries, then home to sew and do laundry.  My February blocks for Loyal Union are ready to post.  Woot woot.


18th - Cleaning lady comes today so we had to clean the bedroom.  Makes sense, right?  At any rate, I thought I'd share how it looks with the quilt I brought up here and my snowflake pillow.


Then I set to work on a couple of projects from the advent box.  I LOVE how they turned out and they were easy peasy.  Scissor and Rotary Cutter holders.



For the afternoon, we went into town for pedicures and baby love.


And my evening finish is the embroidery on the second Harry Potter block.  Whew.


19th - It's snowing!  Beautiful, big Christmas flakes.  I love it so much cos I can stay inside and sew.


Working on a block - trying the layout.


And the finish.  January's Anna's Baskets BOM.  One down.


20th - I spent pretty much all day on this project.  I had the borders on yesterday and was working on the backing.  Today was finish the backing, make the binding and sleeve, sandwich, quilt, bury threads, and do binding.  It is TA-DONE.  This was another advent box project.


21st - We are off to breakfast and into town for some shopping.  The sun is shining and it's beautiful out.  Here is the Week Three LINK if you want to share in my fun.


We have a GREAT day together in town, come home and make a stir fry dinner and settle in to watch The Sting with Mom.  While the movie plays, my hand work on these two blocks for my Country Christmas BOM.  Another check mark for me.


22nd -  Mister wants to go out for breakfast so I invited Jill along and we met up at Echo Lake Cafe.


Once back at the house, the snow begins again.  It's looking pretty out.


I've settled in to some sewing on my Dear Jane blocks for the rest of the afternoon - yep my messy area of the house.  It appears that I am doing a bit of spreading out.  I have bits a pieces all over the place, including the sofa, coffee table, another table, the desk, etc.  Those who know me will smile as this is just so me.  Mister says all the flat spaces in the room are gone.  I guess it's time for a consolidation of sorts.  Not right now though.  It's evening and a Country Christmas block nets me another one checked off the list.  I like how I made the puff a little puffy.

23rd - I'm energetic this morning and settle in to tackle more Dear Jane blocks.  Sweet Mister nabs a pic just to prove the mess is there.


I made a quick trip with Mom into Bigfork to drop her off at Jill's as they were going into Kalispell together.  While she was gone, I went back down to sew and work on a corner DJ block.   Jill brought Mom back so we got to have a little bit of baby time.  Always makes the heart happy.



My DJ block took all afternoon and was also my evening stitching as it had applique.  Ugh.  Then I cut out the parts for the last block --- so, so many y-seams ahead.


24th -   It's an at-home day and I have finished up my Dear Jane blocks for February's post.  Woot woot.  My goodness.  I plan to start the next set as soon as I get home as they are way more time consuming than I had previously thought.  The border blocks are intense, to put it mildly.  Are there issues, you bet.  For some crazy reason I trimmed the first one to 4 1/2" instead of 5" so when I get home, I'll add new corners to it, but not taking a new picture.  It is what it is.


We have plans to go to dinner with Jill's family tonight but as I go to start the car, I discover a dead battery.  Dinner still happened and was fabulous.


25th - Sewed in morning working on the UFO table runner.  I have the top made and just need to get it sandwiched now.  Took Mom to doctor in afternoon, then to grocery store.  My evening stitching is another Country Christmas block.  Loving these.


AND, I took a few minutes before bed to tackle last Thursday's Sewcialites block.  It's really not crooked, but what a crazy picture angle in my hand.


26th - First thing this morning, I got to work and put a patch on Mister's pants, then sandwiched my runner and started in on another little project from the advent box.  I have high hopes of getting it to hand work stage before packing things up tomorrow.  Then it was off to Kalispell with Mom - errands and an eye appointment for her.  By the time we got back, I did a little more sewing, went to get a beer with my sweetie, and did hand work after dinner on another advent box project.  It is TA-DONE.


27th -  Naturally, when we are getting ready to leave, this happens, but it is SO BEAUTIFUL!


I had a goal to finish all the Advent Box projects during my time here in Montana (in addition to the multitude of other commitments) and I came close.  All I have left is to quilt and bind the Cozy set (red/white - one wall hanging and 3 mug rugs).  I'll get those done before month end along with my UFO challenge for this month (which also only need quilting and binding).  I promise.


Time to say good-bye for a bit.  Hopefully March or April (because those months are not at all full already - heavy sarcasm).  I'm already searching for tickets.

 
28th - Fly Day!  Once home (a stop for lunch and Costco), unpack and get our house running again.  This takes some time and then we just chill for the rest of the day.  We are BEAT!.


29th - It is kind of a recovery day, for sure.  Travel days get harder the older I get, but I still wouldn't want to stop the fun that also is part of adventures.  The most I manage to do is get the advent box table topper/wall hanging and mug rugs sandwiched and basted.  Oh, and the bindings made for two projects.  That's it.  I'm kind of a blob.


30th - Monday dawns bright and cold.  Yep it's 29 degrees and an ice storm is headed our way.  Fun, fun.  Might as well sew, so that's what I'm doing.  This weeks Sewcialite block is first up.


The mail has arrived and I open the Designer Mystery BOM and get it cut and sewn.  


Also, there is a package of Puzzler Blocks so those get laid out and sewn too.  The rest of the mail will have to wait until tomorrow as I need to start quilting some projects that I want to bind tonight.


Quilting is finished and binding has commenced.  Hmmmm.


Second table runner from December is done and I had listed this as my number 3 UFO on my APQ list since I knew I'd be in Montana and large project likely wouldn't happen.  Goal complete.


The Cozy set from MSQC Advent Box is done too.  Woohoo!  ALL projects in the box are now complete.  I added a hanging sleeve to the larger piece, but may just use it as a table topper next Christmas.  Into the Christmas drawer all four items go along with the runner above.  That's it for today - I'm off to bed and ready for it.


31st - Woke to Freezing Rain and Thundersleet.  It's dang cold and the sound is crazy.  It's another definite stay home day.


My sweetie keeps the birds happy with food and warm water.  Within just a few minutes of a new batch of both --- the yard was full.


Drink time - no bathing today.


So . . . . when the mail arrived yesterday, I only opened the BOM for the Designer Mystery and Puzzler blocks.  Today, I got to the rest.  SO MUCH FUN.  Thought I'd share with y'all cos it is both crazy and cool.

First, my daughter sent these wonderful coasters:


The Fat Quarter Shop had a Cupid Box for sale and, since I saw it in the early "be quiet" hours in Montana, it jumped into my card.  The price was $34.99, so it was worth a peek.


Here are the goodies.  A quick tally of their value is $70 so I feel pretty good about it.


I also grabbed the fabric to finish the Heartstrings project - includes gray background and red binding fabrics.


Since I was feeling brave, I signed up for the monthly subscription boxes this year as well.  I've never participated in one of these and thought it might be fun.  January's arrived very quick - $29.95.


It is filled with super fun stuff.  A tally comes to:  $63 so we'll see how future months work out.  Do I love everything?  Well the only item that is questionable is the patter for a Fig Tree quilt-along because I've not been doing it.  I collect pin cushions so that's good.  I can ALWAYS use another pair of readers and the table runner will be fun to make.  I opted not to get the finishing kit for the runner as I'm pretty sure I can provide that from stash.


Another company I discovered in my wee hours of shopping is Shabby Fabrics - so naturally, I gave them a try too.  I was all into companies that used USPS as I had a mail hold on and didn't want packages delivered to the house.  My first order includes:  Valentine bowl cozies and the template, a Valentine table topper, and some wool projects that will travel easily.

Now, I also stumbled across Quiltfolk magazine.  I'm not sure it's fair to call it a magazine as it is THICK.  With an initial subscription, one could pick two back issues as well so I chose the Texas Hill Country one and one from South Dakota.  I am truly looking forward to reading these and checking out the places in them.  Fingers crossed an Ohio one pops up in the next couple of months as they haven't done that area yet.  I would have liked the Kentucky one, but it was sold out.  Why?  Well, because our group trip is coming up and those are states we will be visiting. 


One more package.  I ordered it towards the end of my time in Montana because I know MSQC takes a bit to ship sometimes.  Well, this time they didn't and I had to have a neighbor collect it for me from my porch.  Go figure.  At any rate, the advent box had one of these binders in it and I LOVE it.  Thus, two more.  Also, I saw Jenny using this dispenser and fusible web during a tutorial and it was one of those moments that grabbed me.  It makes complete sense.  Into the cart it went.  Well, that's the end of my shopping spree.  Good thing, too, right?


Taking a peek outside --- Ice, Ice, Baby.


I have a turkey soup on the stove and a bit of time to sew.  My Joy-Filled BOM was also in the mail, so . . . Cut and done.  Yay!!!  I think I'm ending the month with all current projects up-to-date.  The plan for February is to stay that way and make progress on past projects as well.  


It's been a fun month filled with family AND productivity.  I liked it.  Now to keep that momentum going.  Fingers are crossed.  February - the month of love - begins tomorrow.  For our theme of Binding us Together, let's focus on Sisterhood.  Y'all know how much this touches my heart.  Gather together, spend time with one another, call, write, share.  Love to all.


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

This next section will be challenging to work on this month as I'll be in Montana almost the entire time, but I'll give some a go.  I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.

UFO's to quilt:  these are staying on this list and I am so hoping to actually make progress this year with the quilting aspect. 

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 

Current Projects:

Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Skillbuilder - 
Illusions BOM - 
Summer Moon - 
Ruby Jubilee -  
Red Table Runner - Done
Secret Lives of Color - 
Round Robin (mine) - 
Long May She Wave - 
Oh Happy Day - 
Joy-Filled - January block done
Designer Mystery - January block done
Spooky Season - Fabrics sorted and ready for next month (that was the assignment this month)
Puzzler Blocks - Last ones made and mailed, received sets 9 and 10 and set into blocks
BB Civil War Sampler - February and March blocks done
Loyal Union Sampler - February done
Dear Jane - February done

Advent Box projects - Christmas Trees - done  Pin Cushion - done  Coin Purse - done  Button Snowflake Pillow - done  Wall Hanging - done  Small Wall Hanging and Mug Rugs - done  Stitchery Project - done  Rotary Cutter and Scissors Carriers - done

Country Christmas BOM (2 per month) - done
Harry Potter BOM - January and February done
Anna's Baskets BOM - done

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Sandcastles -
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak - 
Last January Placemats and Table Runner


UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - Took to Montana - will work on there

Links to Previous 2023 Monthly Posts - Since it's January, we don't have one yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment