Tuesday, October 31, 2017

October Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

The previous 2017 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

Goals:

Easy Street (ES) - bound - YES
Garden Party (GP) - quilted and bound - 
Midnight Flight (MF) - blocks made
BOM (blue) quilted and bound -
BOM (Thimbleberries)  quilted and bound -
BOM (pink) quilted and bound -

1st  -  It's October!!!  I truly think this is my favorite month of the whole year.  The weather is cooler and, well, it's anniversary month.  What could be better?  It's also Mystery Reveal month.  That means I have such excitement all around me.  It would be even better if I had my quilt finished, but this year has just been crazy for me.  I'll stay ahead of ya'll, but just barely.

Mister and I are starting out the month by attending the fair.  Yes, it was even his idea this year.  What that means for us is checking out all the vendor booths and the exhibits.  What is doesn't include is the midway.  We stay as far from that as possible.  You can read all about our day in this FAIR LINK but I will share the quilts here.  Just the pictures, as the fair really doesn't offer up much information.  I did get each person's name in their picture and I only took pictures of some of the blue ribbon winners and the Best of Show.  Enjoy.

The one I REALLY loved is on the left - the log cabin Christmas Tree.  This is a small wall hanging.  The logs are so tiny and, oh my, the time that had to have gone into planning out each one so that the candles landed in just the right place.  I absolutely am in awe of this.  Oh to be good enough to replicate it.  Perhaps some day, when I grow up.









2nd -  It's a mystery kind of day.  However, I do love the light in the yard today.  The Boston Fern is just about finished, but my mums are just starting.  Oh, they are going to be so pretty.


3rd -  Apparently today is a "git er done" day.  I have been blogging, packing, working on the mystery and preparing for the retreat which starts in two days.  My fingers are now glued together while attempting to stock up on "jewels."

4th -  Another day of getting things done.  Laundry, bills, tickets for Houston, haircut, packing, meeting my sweetie to help his mom, blogging, etc.  Whew.  I even hit 12,000 steps.  I mean it when I say it's been a busy day.


5th - I'm off to retreat!!!!  As a result, I do an early mystery clue release and you can get your  Clue 6 LINK right here.  It's starting to look pretty cool.

Now to drive.  A short hour and a half later, a calm settles in.  Oh yes, I've missed this place.  You can read all about our wonderful retreat by clicking on this OCTOBER RETREAT LINK.  It's worth it just to see the magnificent costumes everyone came up with in addition to the beautiful quilt tops and two finished quilts.


We were even treated to a surprise lunch visit from friends.  Thank you so much, Jen and Jen.


6th - It's another fun day at retreat and I am in slipper you know where.  Will these ever end?  I have finally completed ALL the remaining soles and insoles.  Now I just need slippers to go with them.  One of my friends said the stack reminds her of pancakes.  Are we getting hungry?

I do manage to get almost through 2 pair of slippers before calling it a night --- just the last seam on each one is left.  Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow.


7th - We had a presentation on recycled sarees by Tracey today and I'm super stoked to add more things to my to do list.  Honest.  I am going to have so much fun with these fabrics.

The bulk of my day is once again spent on slippers and before the day is over, I have managed to finish the two pair from yesterday and make two more.

The list is getting smaller - only four to go.  Can I get a cheer?  I sure need one to keep this up.  At one time this was a good idea.  Now?  Not so much.


8th -  Saying good-bye is always challenging and today is not an exception.  Retreat has been just oh so amazing and cathartic this weekend.  Thank you, Sherri, for all your help and support this weekend.  I am so very glad you were able to join us at the last minute.

 As incredible as it seems, I am home from retreat before 3 and have the car unloaded quick as can be.  My sweetheart and I visit for awhile and then he treats me to dinner at 20 Feet Seafood Joint.

9th - It's my typical recover from retreat day.  Working on pictures and blogging take up most of the day but I still manage to find some time to make Pumpkin/Butternut Squash Soup for dinner.  Yep, that link will get you the recipe.  So, so, so good.  Oh, psst.  Roses again tonight -- red and white for anniversary week.  Such a wonderful man.

10th - Happy Anniversary to us.  Woohoo.  When my sweetie left for work this morning, all he said was, "Dinner at 7."  Okay.  That means I have the whole day to myself and the list is just so long of things to get done in the next week.  Today's task is to finish the mq blocks and get started on the back for it.  I also have a couple of Garlic Knot blocks that were turned in for the exchange and seem to have a few issues.  Easy fix for me and perfect as a leader/ender for the day.

Before


After


And the perfect end to the day --- dinner with my sweetheart at Terilli's.  When we first started dating, he introduced me to a Peach Bellini Tini here and tonight is a step back in time.


11th -  I MUST check something off the list today.  Sew, sew, sew.  By the end of the day, two more pair of slippers are ready to go AND I have finished mq back as well as the binding.  Immediately, the back went onto the frame in anticipation of having a top to mate it with.  My fingers are indeed crossed on that one still.  I even took advantage of the beautiful day and set up my big board in the backyard, just outside the door to the studio.  It's been a very productive day.  Woohoo.  I need a few more of these type days before my trip to Montana.


12th -  I am outside again today laying out a quilt on the lawn AND ironing on the big board.  The top IS finished and on the frame, saying howdy to the back.  I am ready to quilt after the weekend with  my sweetheart.  Anniversary week is still in full force and he is off the next three days.  A quick trip to the post office and two pair of slippers are on their way to their recipients.  Whew.  (Of course, one pair was made yesterday.)

13th -  It is Friday the 13th and another clue is released.  Here is your  Clue 7 LINK.  Wow, it's getting interesting now.  And with that posting, we are out the door and off to Ennis for the drag races and I even have a Drag Race LINK for ya here.  Please check it out - the videos are so fun.


Also a stop in Waxahachie


14th -  Mister and I are playing hooky again today with a loop around the city and to be perfectly honest, I'm tired  of telling the story.  Click on this LINK to see all the crafty things we found AND this OTHER LINK for the rest of the story.  It is such a fun day and we have definitely been enriched while including coffee, antiquing, an urban flea market, an international festival, an Armenian festival, Italian food at Jimmy's and sour beer for a finale.  Oh, and somewhere in there I got a new red hat too.  Does that seem like a lot to you.  Whew.

15th -  This morning we are off to the Dallas Arboretum for Autumn at the Arboretum.  Oh my eyes have certainly been treated to the gorgeous colors of fall to start out my day.  Wow.  Take a look at this  PUMPKIN LINK and enjoy some eye candy yourself.  After breakfast at Dallas Diner and shopping at Lowe's, we are home to get some organizing done for my trip this week.  I write the last mystery clue, start kitting up projects for Montana, and even manage to get the November emails out

Yes, I'm trying to put together the remaining blocks for my Friendship Beach Quilt.  Some can be worked on while I am away.  I think I'll pack a Featherweight again.


16th -  First thing -- I fill as many empty mid arm bobbins as I have.  It's a sandy colored variegated thread and I so hope it plays well with my needle.  Let's give it a try - not too bad.

Now, I am quilting, quilting, quilting.  It is tradition for one's mystery quilt to be finished upon reveal, right?  Thus quilting, quilting, quilting.  I wish I could say that things go well, but operator error is running rampant again today and after about 6 rows, I literally slam the studio door shut.  I'm calling it a day and hoping that with some sleep, I will be more attentive.

17th -  I can do it.  I can do it.  I CAN DO IT!!!  Marching back to the studio first thing, I am focused and on task.  After cleaning up the last mess from yesterday, I start stitching and don't stop until she is finished.  WOW!  I have spoken sweetly all morning to my machine and she had patience with my own inadequacies.  Thank you Lady Pfaff.  The best part?  I have managed to count the bobbins almost perfectly and have merely inches leftover.  Crazy.  Once the quilt comes off the machine, I instantly trim her up.  Can I get this finished today?


Oh give this woman an Atta Girl.  I attached the binding and sat myself down for the remainder of the day AND evening.  My quilt is ready to present.  Take a deep breath.  Where is the picture?  Well, you'll have to wait until the reveal.  The only reason you are seeing this much is because this will post AFTER the reveal.  Hahahahaha.

Oh goodness, it's getting late and I still need to pack.  I've done a total mind change on the projects going with me and have opted for a crocheting one instead.  Yep, all that work a couple of days ago will be put on hold for awhile.

18th - It's up, up, and away for me.  I have not been back to Montana in a couple of years so am looking forward to some family time and beautiful autumn weather.  I have a direct flight to Billings and after crocheting on the new afghan for 2 hours and 37 minutes (look how much I accomplished), I am on the ground again.  Time for grands.  You can follow along in this Days 1&2 Montana LINK.


19th - I must not have had enough travel yesterday because today I am in a truck and driving to Flathead Lake for a few days.  Call me crazy but it's a surprise for my mom.  As a result, I have posted an early Clue 8 LINK.  If you clicked on the Days 1&2 link above, you know all about my day.  Pretty cool huh?  I do manage to get another two hours of crocheting in and can see the growth taking place.  Alright!!!

20th - Oh the joys of being up here with family and fall.  I do love Montana and my heart is happy.  We have a great day in Kalispell at Woodland Park and you can peek in with this Days 3 & 4 LINK.  For my evening entertainment??? Another two hours on the afghan.

21st - Today we are off to Sweet Pickins with Sis and my great niece and nephews.  What fun we have and oh how tired we are tonight.  It's our last night here as we must leave early tomorrow morning to start the 7 hour drive home.  The good news???  I have finished the afghan and it is ready to gift.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.  Life is good today.


22nd - We are on the road by 9:15 and have a stormy lake saying good-bye to us.  Yes, this is the same lake that I posted pictures of on the personal blog.  That smooth sheet of glass has become white caps and cold, cold waves.   For all the deets on today and tomorrow click on this  Day 5 & 6 LINK.



23rd - I'm in Billings with a little bit of time to myself today. I have lunch with my son but am pretty free before and after.  What to do, what to do?  A coffee shop seems a good place to get some blogging done and then after lunch what could be better than visiting a quilt shop for some new ideas.  Success.  Here is a LINK to my time at Four Winds Quilting and the fun stuff I found.



24th - I have a day with family and could not be happier.  All the daytime with my daughter and all the evening with my son.  That sure makes a mom's heart happy.  Here is your Days 7 & 8 LINK and it's worth a peek --- so much fun.

It's my last day here and dang, that makes me a bit sad but I do find time for some pictures and wish to share them here.  I love my family more than anything else.  Truly.  I just wish distance wasn't so vast sometimes.  Thank goodness for reasonable airplane tickets and airlines that understand the need for direct flights.  American Airlines is a winner this time.


25th - Well, after saying goodbye to the girls at school, I'm heading for the airport.  Lookout Dallas, I'm on way back and I don't even plan on working on a project while on the plane.  I'm tired.


26th -  Back in Texas --- and guess what?  It's just as cold here as it was up north.  What is going on?  October is still early fall down here.  I have a typical day back -- bills, blogging, photos, etc.  Nothing picture worthy for sure.

27th - Today is the Day!!!  The Mystery is REVEALED and here is your Clue 9 LINK.  No, I'm not going to share the finale in here -- ya gotta go see for yourself.

I settle into a comfy chair and stitch the binding on my Easy Street quilt while listening to old episodes of Friends on Netflix.  It seems nice to just sit and hand sew for a bit and before I know it (well 8 hours later), I have a TA-DA.  I still need my outside picture and to write on the label but for all intents and purposes, I am calling this one DONE.


28th -  As I've said before, every so often the universe allows me to participate in a Red Hat event and lunch was just one of those moments today.  We had such a good time that it gets a post all of it's own.  Here is the RED HAT LINK.  After that, Mister and I made a run up to Plano for an adoption.  Yep, you read that right.  We haven't had a new member of the family for quite awhile, but this is one sweet 404, complete with all accessories, cabinet, and stool (bench?).  I'm super excited and since I already own one 404, it appears one will be up for sale soon.  Let me know if you are interested.



Immediately after leaving there, we make a run over to Suzanne's so that I can pick up her quilt that was gifted while I was in Montana.  It still needs a label and binding and yours truly is the one who volunteered to do just that.  While there, Mister checks on a couple of machines for her -- keep your eyes open as she may have a couple for sale soon.

Once I get the quilt home, I have to peek at it.  Oooooh, it is simply lovely.  I'll lay it out better when I've finished with it.



I so need to try custom quilting again.  I haven't done any since I started using the midarm.  Perhaps one of those listed at the top of this post will be a great tester.  Speaking of midarm, I went out to the studio and figured out how to get her out of the frame so that she could have a spa treatment. Mission accomplished -- it's now in Mister's care.


29th -  Mister and I are out and about town today and after stopping at the BLRC to drop off a forgotten item from retreat, the rest of our day is spent in fall fun.  One of our stops is at an art festival and, oh my, there are some cool things.  Enough for their own post and here is the ART LINK that will get you to it.

The second stop is fun too but not as crafty.  It does, however, have it's own post as well.  Take a minute to peek in on how we are able to have even MORE FUN.

An evening of blogging and pictures in the attempt to get caught up.  I think I've done it --- woohoo.

30th -  Where has this month gone?  I am officially caught up on the blogs and even managed to spend several hours on Suzanne's quilt.  The label is made and the binding is sewn on.  Woot woot.



Wanna peek at it?  I'll share a nice upright front and back when it is finished but here's a bit of a look.  So much talent and love went into this.  These women continue to amaze me.


 31st - Happy Halloween!!!  Laundry while sitting and hand stitching  the binding down on Suzanne's quilt occupies my morning.  OH, but wait.  I woke up to the release of colors and yardage for Bonnie's new mystery.   I must find a way to get to Lowe's today.  Do you want to see what all the hoopla is about?  Well click on this - Bonnie Hunter On Ringo Lake Mystery.

A little cleaning up of the leftovers from A Day at the Beach, and a super fast trip to Lowe's takes my afternoon.  Tomorrow I will pull fabrics and make a list of what I need to shop for in Houston.  We leave Thursday.  OMG -- is it already November?

Trick or Treat ---- be safe and we'll see you next month.  Until then -- keep on creating.

As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Links to Previous 2017 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017
September 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment