Thursday, November 2, 2017

Houston!!! Year Two Day 1

It's NOVEMBER!  That means the time for Houston's International Quilt Festival has arrived.  When tickets are purchased a year in advance, waiting for this seems to take forever and I'm thrilled that today is the day.  Lydia arrives at my house by 5:30 a.m. and within 10 minutes we are off and on our way.

It's nice to reconnect along the way and share what has been happening in our lives.  I so love this time together and for the chance to help one another out.  I am wondering if we will get a view of a beautiful sunrise but my hopes are dashed as the clouds are just too thick this morning.  A couple of hours into our trip, this is the best that happens for us.  I'll take it.




For some reason, the drive just zips by and we are at the hotel before 10.  YES!!  Sherri arrives at the exact same time and our party of two becomes three.  The Astros won the World Series last night and there are reminders everywhere AND we have just discovered that there will be a parade tomorrow right downtown --- yes, we ARE downtown.

Once I have us pre-checked into the rooms and our luggage is with the bell hop, it's time to go into the show.  No waiting around for the others.  They are good to go and we all get to wait for the rooms to be ready.  It's time to shop.


As soon as we enter the center, I spot a window that was covered last year.  Oooooh, oooooh we can see the quilts from up here.  Must peek.  I crawl under the bar that blocks the window and lay down to take this picture.  As I am doing so, a sweet older lady comes up and asks if I want her to hold my feet so I can't fall out.  Yep, you read that right.  I have to chuckle as there really isn't any place to go and she is rather tiny.  If I could, in fact, fall through the window, she would not be able to stop me and two of us would be attempting to defy gravity.

At any rate, the quilts look yummy but I know me.  I want to get the shopping out of my system so that it won't be nagging at me while I enjoy this wonderful feast for the eyes.


Right near the window is this display of an antique hand crank sewing machine by Faudels, London.  I am doing a supreme job of breaking the 10th commandment.  Oh yes, I covet this machine.

Isn't she just gorgeous?  Someday.  If I keep saying that, it's bound to happen, right?  Or am I just floating around in dream land?  I DON'T care.  I am going to keep right on dreaming.

While walking to the far end of the vendors, we run into Gilley and are able to have a quick howdy and picture.  This is such a fun part of the festival --- quick little moments with retreat friends.  (I took this picture too quick, obviously.)


At this point we kind of go our separate ways to shop so say good-bye to Lydia.  Sherri and I have made the decision to stay together -- I so hope I don't hold her up too much as I can be a dog with a bone when I spot something I really want to learn more about.

We start down the first row and make it about halfway before I am stopped in my tracks.  Ooooh --- Shiny.  And Blingy.  I have spotted a sequined red hat that lights up in the Glamourous Fashions booth.  Must have.  See, it has even chopped my sentences up.  Twenty dollars later, I have a hat on my head as I don't want to crush it in my bag.  Hmmmm.  Did I really think this through well?  No worries -- off we go.


A little further down the aisle, we run into Demo Alley and I notice that the very first demo is for Doug Leko's Simple Folded Corner Ruler.  I have already ordered one online as it is suggested for Bonnie's new mystery.  We are a little early for the demo, so continue down the row a bit.

The VERY next booth is Edmar Co. and their amazing dimensional embroidery.  Sherri and I are both in absolute awe of the work and way it comes together.  After watching a video, we decide to purchase a simple beginner kit and will tackle it at the beach next year.  Our little kit comes with the needle and thread, but we each need a tiny hoop.  Done.

As I am looking through my bag for the ever elusive credit card, another quilter stops and comments to me that she needs to stop following me, because both booths that I stopped in, she followed AND bought something at each.  Too funny.  She goes on her way ahead of me to stop the cycle.

We finish out the first row and are partway through the second when the demo is supposed to begin.  Making our way over there, we discover that no one is still there and ladies are standing around waiting.  Crazy.  Walking away again, a couple more booths are checked out and then it looks like the demo is finally going to take place.  We walk over for it and it seriously lasts about 2 minutes.  I am so not impressed and truly think that I am not ready to give up my bonus triangles.  I guess I can see using this for really small projects, but even then . . . .  Ugh, and I've already bought it.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong and fall in love with it.

At the end of the second row, guess who we find?  Ahhh, the ever lovely Ms. Sharron.


At the same time, I have spotted a booth from Brazil and just the cutest diaper bag anywhere.  It's perfect for a new grandson.  I must have it and must make it quick before my daughter buys another one.  It turns out that it is a panel that includes the diaper bag, two bibs, a changing mat, and a diaper carrier.  I grab a couple of 1/2 yards of matching fabrics and am one happy girl.

I think I'll still need a zipper, but will deal with that later.  They also give me a copy of the directions in English as the panel is printed in Portuguese.  I have every intention of those directions being used as a neutral somewhere down the road.  Fun, fun.

We make a stop in another booth that has the cutest minky kits and I am so tempted.  I do love this idea though.  Just strips of different patterns and textures.  What a fun blanket for littles.


We have now made it through 4 aisles and at the end of the fourth, I spot Patternman.  After asking about some 5" pantos, I find one and then spot a clearance basket with three more in it.  SCORE!  $3.00 for a panto just can't be beat.


We decide that our tummies are rumbling and go to meet Stephanie and Janet at McAllisters Deli.  This is a very bad plan as the line is intense and there is no way we will eat soon.  The gals have a place for us to sit with them and offer to share their sandwiches.  Sherri and I take them up on that offer and even then, it's over an hour before we leave the place.  Wow.  Note to self -- avoid McAllister's at lunch time.  Now, back to shopping.

A stop at Gray Rooster's Woodshop to pick up a replacement blade for my seam ripper and Sherri finds a ripper for herself.  She will love it as I adore his products.  (Bad Deb, no picture of his booth.)

And, again, we stop at Pin Peddlers to check on charms for retreat but my camera appears to be on a smoke break.  Finding a few charm holders, I am checking out when I spot the 2017 pin for festival.  Must have eight of these for my roomies.  I'll just hook them on their retreat nametags and see if they notice.

As we stop in Fabrilish and find this fantastic Aussie fabric that I need for retreat, we also run into Siri and Jerri.  Isn't this just so fun?

Friends AND checking something off my list.  Perfect stop.  We haven't seen these two since last February -- wow -- time is a crazy thing.  The 1600 row has also given us some "check back" items to think about.


We have made it to 1500 and the Stitchin' Heaven booth.  Ana is there to say hello and we also have run into Kitsey.  Taking turns spinning the wheel for a freebie is a must do here.  (I broke my rule and only took one picture of Ana -- drat eyes closed.)

My win is a laser cut silhouette of the state of Texas.  This could be fun -- now to figure out the best way to use it.  Sherri and Kitsey each have a go and I'm terrible with paying attention right now as I can't tell you what either of them won.  I have spotted the Quilt Diva wall hanging and am once again drooling over it.  It's another of those someday things.


Kitsey hangs with us for awhile and then goes off to sit for a bit.  We make it to 1200 before I score.  I have FINALLY found some coral fabric in the Elkhorn Quilt Company booth.  However, the camera is again on break.  What is up with me?

A couple more rows and the Hancy Creation booth is discovered once again.  My mouth cannot move fast enough to tell Sherri about this place.  I love their stencils and products so much.  As she is learning about them, I spot a couple of pencils that I didn't see last year.  A few seconds later, they are bought and in my bag.  I do love this booth and will likely stop here each year.  Since I didn't remember my camera this time, you can click on last years LINK where I spotlighted them.

Okay -- our feet are hurting, the bags are heavy, people are waiting in the lobby for our rooms and I haven't received a text.  It's time to go and get us into the rooms.  Additionally, Stephanie is lugging around her mother's (Janet), purchases.  We REALLY need in the rooms.

After a bit of discussion with the desk, I have keys and we are set.  Messages out to everyone and I wait in the lobby until all the keys have been handed out.  Sherri and Lydia have already claimed my luggage and had it taken to the room.

The only task left is to see if we can get dinner reservations at Pappasitos for tomorrow night's group dinner.  A quick stop in there and I discover we are out of luck so make my next stop at the 1600 Bar and Grille in the hotel.  Yep -- we are set.  Now to figure out dinner for tonight.

The girls in the other room opt for Pappasito's tonight so we are off to Pappadeaux's.  I know, confusing huh?  It's a nice time together and I am absolutely stuffed when we leave after having a crab mac and cheese and the biggest plate of french fries on the planet.  Yes, carbs are required tonight.  Oh -- funny thing -- our waiter, pronouced "Sua-vey" started out super nice to us but somewhere along the way copped an attitude and we honestly didn't do a thing wrong.  Too bad for him.


Opting to walk across the street back to the hotel instead of using the skywalk, we are able to see the banner in front of the building.  Way to go Astros.


I think we're done.  I know I am.  It's up to the hotel and I'm in my jammies relaxing as quick as I can.  It's been a long day and tomorrow will be another one for sure.  Oh, what are the others doing?  A lot --- they are running an exercise class --- see . . .  HAHAHAHAHA

One last task for the evening.  While my camera is out -- I gather all my goodies from today (except I missed the blade replacement for my seam ripper) and record them for all eternity.  I think I have a color theme going on here.  See ya'll tomorrow --- It'll be another fun-FILLED day in Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment