Wednesday, November 29, 2017

November Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

The previous 2017 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

Goals:

Garden Party (GP) - quilted and bound - 
Midnight Flight (MF) - blocks made
BOM (blue) quilted and bound -
BOM (Thimbleberries)  quilted and bound -
BOM (pink) quilted and bound -

1st  -   November has arrived and along with it comes that dreaded sense of urgency that the year is coming to an and and there is still just oh so much I haven't accomplished.  Toss in looming gifts and I can say with all honesty that I can feel the stress rising.  The question is, "Can I keep it at bay?"  I say that I'm going to each year, but somehow it comes creeping in.  Another attempt will be made so bear with me as I try to say, "Oh well, it'll get finished next year."  (And now we can all sit down and laugh together."



For a fun start to the month, I get to have lunch with Suzanne today to deliver her quilt.  It has turned out divine.  She loves it and we have set up a time for me to help her get her midarm up and going next week.  Still paying it forward for all the wonders mine has provided me.  (yes, frustrations too, but I will warn her of those)  Take a peek.



After lunch, a quick trip to Harry Hines to find a special charm for the upcoming retreat and I'm soon on my way back towards the house.  I zip into the Dollar Tree for a couple of birthday cards, make some deposits, and it's back home.  I have packing to do.  I know, I know -- surprise, surprise.

However, I can't stand waiting one more day and dash out to the studio to pull fabrics for the Bonnie Hunter upcoming mystery.  To read all about it, click the On Ringo Lake Tab at the top for more information -- there is a link directly to her site in the Summary post.  I don't do too bad -- I'm a little short on corals so will haul that card with me to Houston.  Here is my Introduction LINK if you want to follow the journey of the mystery.

2nd -  We wait ALL year for this day.  The hotels were booked and paid for LAST November and now in the early hours of the day, Lydia has picked me up and we are off for our Second Annual Houston Girls Weekend.  There are eight of us attending together and we are meeting up with others as well.  I am so excited and you know what the best part is?  I don't have anything to set up and only a suitcase to haul along.  This is a dream to me.  Please take the time to click on this  Day 1 LINK to see all we do this first day and the treasures I find in the vendor booths.


3rd -  The view from breakfast is lovely and I am chomping at the bit to get back to the show.  I want to finish the vendor booths today and start in on the actual quilt show.  That is why I'm here, right?  Debi arrives today too and our merry little band is complete after we collect Sharron and Kathy for dinner.  You can read and SEE all the eye candy of the show in this Day 2 LINK.  If you haven't already clicked it --- please don't miss as it has the links to three posts containing over 75 of the quilts in the show AND their information.  Make sure you have a cup of something and just sit back to feed your soul.  The quilts are phenomenal.

4th -  It's kind of a sad day as we go home today and this time has literally flown by around us.  We'll book for our Third Annual Houston Girls Weekend in a little over a week and the excitement will start all over again.  We have time for a group photo before everyone heads their different ways.


Yes, I have a  Day 3 LINK for you but also thought a picture to tempt you would be nice too.  It's fun --- you should go if you have never been.
 

Well, that's it.  Lydia and I are back in Dallas by a little after 4 and the first thing my sweetie says is, "Are we going to the festival?"  Well, of course we are.  Can I use the restroom first?  With a quick face wash and teeth brush, we are on our way to the Buddhist temple for their Festival of the Lights.  We have done this before and it is just so much fun.  Here is the Loy Krathong LINK if you want to see why we love it.  No, we are not Buddhists.  We both LOVE learning other cultures customs and beliefs.

5th -  As it is still the weekend, my time is all Mister's.  An early morning rise (nope, not unpacked yet) and a stop for coffee has us at the zoo when it opens early for members.  Some walking and chatting while enjoying the animals is the perfect start to our day.

Lunch with the nephew, Bob, and shopping afterward finish out the day.  Naturally, I have a Zoo Link to see our wonderful day, but here is one treasure we found along the way in an antique store.  No, it did not come home with us as it is priced too high and doesn't have a pedal.  I addition, we have no clue what the cord in it goes to and the man working the store, well he was a little "who cares" today.  So be it.

6th -  I have spent ALL day working on the pictures and blog posts for the Houston Show.  If you didn't check them out, you really should.  Whew --- glad that is done and I have one blog up to date.  No pictures to show and even if I did -- who wants to see a picture of fingers on a keyboard?

7th -  Some early morning time at the computer and BOTH blogs are caught up again.  That feels good.  The not so good news?  A large portion of the remaining day is devoted to paying bills, balancing accounts, retreat emails, and cleaning my desk.  It feels good, but oh so boring for ya'll.  However, there are a few fun things.  Cassie called and said that A needs a little "car quilt" like the one I made O.  It just so happens that my recent Missouri Star order netted me a free charm pack and it will work perfectly.  I'll just need a bit more fabric to add to it.  I also decide to make some Cauliflower Soup AND ding, ding, ding -- Mister and I walk over to the school and vote after he returns from work.  All in all -- a decent day.


 Oh wait, one other beautiful bright spot in the day is that Ramona Johnson has posted a picture of her A Day At the Beach  Quilt Top.  I LOVE it so much.


8th - I am off to help Suzanne this morning and after a run to Joann's for some sticky Velcro, we get her top loaded and ready to quilt.  Now all she has to do is practice, practice, practice.  Well, with a little screaming thrown in now and then.  Hahahahaha --- oh right, that's just my own method.    After I leave her, a quick call to the BPER'S ceramic store finds them open and with green ware tea sets in stock.  Rerouting the GPS and I'm there in less than 1/2 an hour.  It turns out the store is NOT closing and that the name is changing as is the ownership.  They have some great plans and I'm excited to watch it all take place.  Three tea sets later and I'm out the door.  It looks like I'll be doing some cleaning in the evenings so I need to set up a place for that.  Hmmmm -- perhaps Mister won't need the table in the office until after the holidays.  That would work.

Oh --- the house has been filling with the Garlic Knot Exchange blocks and they are running amok everywhere.  It is definitely time to tame them.  I think I'll take them with me to retreat to do the exchange.  I'll have at least 7 other sets of hands to help me there and that will make it go so much faster.  That means ALL blocks have to be to me before I leave on the morning of the 15th or  they need to bring to retreat themselves that day.


The last thing for today is that I received a Facebook notice that the local "date night" location is having a special "Keep the Mug" beer tonight and the mug is an actual latte one.  It's called Breakfast Stout by Founders and I really want the mug.  Hey Mister.

9th -  I have, indeed, taken over Mister's table in the office and moved all the ceramic supplies in there too.  While doing so, I had to move the quilt machine back outside so why not put it back in the cradle, set up the frame again, and load a quilt?  I get a wild hair to see if I can quilt three items at once and load the rails to do just that.  It takes some playing and I have to get really creative to hold the two backings together, but I think it will work.


Yes, since the two shams are small, I am going to free float their tops.

I used two wonder clips and a very small pony tail holder to make a tiny bungee that will hold the two center backs together.  Fingers crossed everyone.  I'll let you know how it goes, but it'll be a couple of days before I get back to it.

Some scheduling work to finish out the year is required and completed.  I THINK most of my paperwork is complete for this month.  Please let it be so.

10th - I have the car today and a list of errands to run.  The only appointment requiring a specific time is a meeting with my Red Hat Queen, Cynthia.  That's at 2 so I am set on getting everything else done first.  On your mark, get set, go.

First stop is at Tuesday Morning to see if there are any wonderful deals.  I do find some Ottlites and will likely go back as they make great gifts but in the meantime, two charm packs with colors I think I can incorporate into A's car quilt find their way home with me.

 Onto Joann's for some patterns.  I want to make some lounge pants from the fabric Rhiana got me in Bali AND the saree fabric I received at October's retreat.  Another saree will go to a pair of pants and jacket for Red Hat adventures.  Also, the stuffing and some extra minkee for the travel pillows we are making at retreat gets picked up.  My list is getting smaller.


I didn't buy this one pattern, but wanted a picture to remember how to use the saree the best.  This is a perfect picture for me to use while cutting.

The next stop is to E's house to pick up some Garlic Knot blocks, then onto Sew Let's Quilt It while I'm there.  This is such a fun quilt shop and it's quiet in there today.  I am most fortunate in that I find the perfect fabric to make my new grandson (arriving in March) a quilt with and I find a couple of sale fat quarters too.  I visit with Patty for awhile and she shows me some super fun new stuff that she found at Market in Houston and will be receiving in the store shortly.  I can't wait and have some definite retreat ideas for it.

Now, it's time to head to my meeting with Cynthia and it is a delight to visit with her one on one.  I am officially a member of the Big D Re-Gals Chapter of the Red Hat Society.  Let the fun begin.


One last stop for groceries on the way home and I'm good for the night.  Pizza is ordered and I'm putting my feet up.  Oh, oh, oh -- Val sends me a picture of some buttons she found while sorting through a box.  Perfect.  I LOVE them.

11th -  It's Veteran's Day and time to do a little reflecting and remembering.  I hope my son-in-law is able to relax a bit today.  Since it is Saturday, my day is devoted to my sweetheart and plans we made last month.  It is the Artists Studio Tours put on by Cross Timbers Artist Guild.  We were invited last month by Richard and Gloria Gatti and have had it on the calendar ever since.  It's our first stop of the day and please click on this Lake Trail Studio Handwovens LINK to see the wonder of their looms and incredible weaving.

Our second stop is at the home of an multiple award winning quilter.  You really need to click this Barbara Hartman LINK to see the amazing talent she possesses.  AND -- my almost private lesson.  I am simply thrilled and have perma grin the entire time.


After our two stops, we go over to the starting spot of the tour to see if there are any others we would like to visit.  Mister spots this jewelry to show me and oooooh, what quilter wouldn't just adore this?

We do spot a wooden bowl that is fascinating and look up the artist in order to add one more spot to our tour.  Joel Rubin is the wood turner and I think his work is just gorgeous.  He starts by taking slabs of different woods and gluing them together.  After that he draws circles of all different sizes and cuts them out to reglue in diminishing size.  Then onto the lathe it goes and the beauty comes forth.


He takes some time to show us (again, we are lucky and it's only the two of us in the shop) exactly how the lathe works and the next step he will be taking.  I've been around woodworking for most of my adult life, but never this type.  It really makes me think I'd like to take a class and see what kind of mess I could make.


That's it for the tours for us today.  Some lunch and then a stop for a beer at Four Bullets.  They are having a junk in the trunk sale that might be worth checking out.  Ya just never know where you'll find a sewing machine.

No sewing machine today, but a bit of bling for Red Hats.  Earrings and necklace for 5 bucks.  Perfect.

12th -  Early morning coffee walk and then home for the day.  We both need to gear up for the next couple of weeks and some 'at home' time is perfect.  With a few quiet minutes of my own, these hands throw down the new charm squares and put together the final squares.  This is going to retreat with me and will be DONE.  The studio yields up the sashing, cornerstone, and backing for it.  All I need now is the batting but that will require me to quilt what is on the machine in order to get to it.

Also --- some top secret pretties arrived today --- in blues and greens.


13th -  Since Mister is back in the office, I guess that means I need to get to work too.  Laundry is going, my desk is clean, and it's time to QUILT.  Yep, I do that every now and then.  Task number one is to fill some bobbins with gold thread.  This isn't quite as gold as I want, but will have to do as it is the closest I can get and the one that will work in both projects.

 Now --- let's get this machine on and doing some simple meandering.  I have this quilt top I put together at a retreat awhile back from swap table fun AND my Christmas pillow shams.  I would like all of it quilted so that I can bind and finish at retreat.  Please let this go smooth and not have any operator error.  Making runs in and out of the house to switch out laundry now and then stretches my time out a bit but even still, everything is complete by noon and off the machine.  Now for the tricky part.  I need the batting that is on the right for the small charm quilt I want to finish at retreat.  That means I have to extend the batting all the way across by about a foot in order to get a large enough piece.  The whole process works slick and I have just one small extra piece that would make a table runner.  Into the retreat bag the projects go, along with all their binding/backing/label parts.


 In between waiting on laundry loads and gathering things for retreat, I have taken on another new challenge.  Clean out two drawers per day.  This actually was supposed to start yesterday so I do four today.  Two drawers from my nightstand and two clothing drawers.  Things are leaving this house.  One of the stacks of magazines in the nightstand contain Country Woman magazines.  So, now, I am leafing through them to see if there are any recipes I want and then stacking them in the swap table box for retreat.  If they don't go there, my friend Lisa always is in need of magazines for her collages.

14th -  It's a bit hectic today.  Packing for retreat, finishing paperwork, booking Houston for next year's Quilt Festival, transferring money for retreat, last minute retreat items being put together and on and on.  It's a good thing "I" don't have a baggage allowance.  Oooooh, this is going to be such fun.  Tomorrow is the day I leave for "The Retreat to Remember."  You will want to read all about it when I return.  Oh, and the Garlic Knot exchange is being done there too.  To those who sent in blocks, you won't have to wait much longer.  Woot woot.


15th - I am off to retreat a whole day early this month.  We have such a special treat planned for the ladies and it requires just a bit of preparation.  To see EVERYTHING that we do for 24 hours ahead of retreat, please click HERE.  It's definitely worth the peek.

16th - This flight has taken off -- retreat has officially begun.  What a crazy, fun group of women to be spending 4 days with.  I swear I am just so lucky to be involved in this aspect of quilting.    For the evening, we do the block exchange and if you want to see how that went, just click on the GARLIC KNOT link.  I manage to get a small lap quilt and two pillow shams bound today so I have a wee TA-DA.  I can't wait to decorate my room for Christmas now.  If only I had the second quilt finished, but I'm just not that organized.


If you have any curiosity at all about this amazing retreat, click on this RETREAT LINK and you can join in virtually.  What fun we have had today.

17th - Day two of retreat finds me working on Ava's little lap quilt.  Cassie called a few weeks ago asking for one and, well requests should be filled.  The back gets made and pressed while playing BINGO --- don't we all do this?

Blocks are made, laid out and up on the design wall for cornerstones and sashings.  I think I like it.  What a cute little girl quilt.

18th - Day three of retreat and my sweetheart is here.  He is working with the ladies on their vintage machines.  One or Two on One lessons and complete cleanings.  He's a busy boy from the moment of arrival.  Oh, and he played with the theme too.  Gotta love this man of mine.

A few of the gals and I are up for an excursion into town and a visit to the local quilt shop.  To see all the wonders of this little shop, here is your SEW KRAZEE LINK.

I hit a sales section and find some super cute fabric for my Garlic Knots quilt.  It's about the end of my fabric shopping as I am on hiatus next year.  No new fabric for 2018 and back to the UFO  or use it up realm.  All the progress I made in 2016 was lost this year and I think it's actually worse.  Ugh.


By the time the night is over, I have my start to finish at retreat TA-DA.  Yay me.  This will go into the mail on Monday.


19th - All good things must come to an and and so it is with this amazing adventure we have been on.  It's sad to say good-bye but February will be here before we know it.  As my sweetie is driving us home, he spots a Pioneer Day celebration going on and the car just somehow turns in there.  Here's your CLICK SPOT to read all about it.  So, so interesting.

20th - I'll admit.  I'm a bit done in today.  I'm moving a bit slow for the morning, just working on emails and book-work.  Around 2, I realize just how much I need to do this week and start moving.  This house needs cleaning and I spend the rest of the day just putting crap away and cleaning out a couple of cabinets.  Yes, that process is still going on.  Part of putting things away, means the recent finish for Easy Street and that means she has to be labeled.


21st -  It's another solid day of actually CLEANING HOUSE.  Yes, scrubbing took place.  And dusting, and sweeping, and laundry, and, and, and.. . . .  Yuck.  You can tell I haven't had a lot of company lately.  At least it will be clean now through the new year as I do have several events coming up.  I didn't get Ava's quilt mailed yesterday, but today I am on it.  I have several stops to make and one is groceries for this week.  I know -- sounds just so fun doesn't it?  I showed the front before, but here is the label and back.

22nd - Oh goodness.  I have a few finishing touches on the house but also need to start dinner preparation.  That means I am in the kitchen first thing.  I actually enjoy time in here and need to schedule much more of it.  My sweetheart deserves better than he has been getting lately.  Way too much fending for oneself.  I do have a couple of recipes to share today as I work along so here are the links for Holiday Ham Recipe and Strawberry Granita.

The vacuum decides not to work today after doing the two area rugs.  Oh well, Mister's phone solution to me is tweezers.  Yep, not gonna happen.  I am barely showered and dressed as Jen and her family arrives.  Here's a link to our day of  Family Time .     

23rd - Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.  I am so incredibly thankful for the life I have with family I can't get enough of and a sweet Mister who loves and spoils me like crazy.  What else is really required?

 
There are bodies all over the house today and oh so much food to cook.  Family and food.  They go hand in hand always, don't they?  Here is the  Thanksgiving LINK to all of our fun and it even includes scenes from the new Christmas Lights at the Zoo, which is where we spent our evening.  Ya gotta go if you life in the Metroplex.


24th - It's Black Friday and boy have they changed over the years.  So many sales started yesterday that it seems like a let down today.  Jen and the boys were out early so that Leon could experience it for the first time (foreign exchange student from Germany) but it really wasn't anything special.  Even at 5 in the morning.  My house emptied out and I actually even got a chance to look at my bins for usable strips in the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery which starts today.  I find a good start but will need to cut brown for sure.  While I am in the studio I hear the lawn service arrive.  Hmmm --- When they are almost finished, I meet them at the door with pie and drinks.  A quick peek a few minutes later sees them sitting behind the truck enjoying the treat.

The afternoon is spent visiting with grands and Jen until Mister calls to say he is on his way home.  They realize they still have to drive to Abilene and the house empties once again.  NOW, it's time to do Black Friday right.  Date night with my sweetie.


25th  -  I have been after my dear hubby for quite awhile (read that as over a year) to get a new car.  I thought we had made progress in September, but nothing came of it.  Today we are actually going to go to a couple of lots and talk to people.  Such a huge step.  We find one car at Volkswagen in Frisco and another at Subaru in Dallas.  What to do, what to do?  Please don't let this decision take forever.  OHHH -- a stop at IKEA in between dealers netted us lunch (Swedish Meatballs, of course) and lights for whoever needs one at the next retreat.

Five are already spoken for leaving me just 3 to sell.  They'll go quick and it helps those who don't live close to an IKEA.


26th -   Can I sew today?  Oh wouldn't that be wonderful?  Around 2 in the afternoon, I sneak away to the studio.  Strips are sewn on the new mystery.  AND - here is my Clue 1 Link to see how it all happened for me.


27th - MOST of my day is spent finally working on the pictures from retreat.  There are over 700 of them and I get it pared down to around 400.  WOW.  Into the Facebook album they go and now a quick dash to the studio to get just a little bit more sewn on this weeks clue.

27th - I am now in crunch time again.  How does this happen?  As I walk out towards the studio, look who is sitting on the neighbors roof.  Our hawk is back.  Neighbors, better keep those tiny animals in the house.

Sew, sew, sew and clue one is finished.


From there, I go right into making the last pair of slippers I need to gift.  I have another pair cut out still but I think I cut them too small for Mom H, so need to decide where they are going.  Yes, that means there is still one pair to make.  Maybe my mom for Christmas.  Hmmmm.   I finish the pair that is needed NOW and breath a sigh of relief.



Now to dress and walk to the post office.  These are going out today.  Whew.  I feel less stress for sure.

28th -  It's blog catch up day.  So far behind again.  Post, post, post.  At the end of the day, I have a huge hallelujah shout and realize I didn't sew anything again.  Have I even checked anything off the list this month?  Nope.  So sad and yet I feel as though I accomplished quite a bit.  I still have December.  Who is rooting for me?

29th -  Trip planning and laundry are taking place.  Some packing, some cleaning of the refrigerator, etc.  We leave tomorrow morning with a 7 a.m. flight and I'm super excited.  A few quilt related tasks get tackled too.  I finish my pillow from retreat so that it can make the trip to Georgia with me.  I LOVE it so much and the white is just so super soft.  It's going on my sweeties shoulder and I'm gonna nap all the way there and home since both are early flights.


Even with all that, I find some time to play.  I have a new grandson making an appearance in March and picked up some precuts earlier this month that I think will work.  The living room floor beckons.  I think this will work.  I'll do a light colored inner border and then have 2 1/2" precut squares that are the same line for a pieced border.  Wonderful white super soft double sided fleece for the back.  Yes -- I have a plan.


30th - No --- it's not the 30th yet, but I will be in the air bright and early and am not at all sure that I can post this from my phone.  If I can update with a couple pictures, I will, but for now --- it's month end for me.  December is right around the corner with all the fun that it brings.  Stay calm, take care of yourself too.  Oh --- and I'll see ya later.  Look out Atlanta -- here we come.

As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Links to Previous 2017 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017
September 2017

2 comments:

  1. Great recap! What is the pattern for Ava's lap quilt? I can't remember what it is, please.
    Also, where did you get the slipper pattern? Are they hard to do? I guess people really like them or you wouldn't keep making them. I'm always afraid people won't like what I make.
    Have a great time in Atlanta!

    Sherry Moran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry. Thank you so much for the kind comment. Ava's lap quilt is a simple disappearing four-patch with sashing and cornerstones. Super quick and easy. I started with charm-packs. Don't underestimate what people will love, if you love it, so will they.

      Delete