Sunday, November 19, 2017

Brazos House - The Retreat To Remember

(Note:  If you didn't see the previous post on this retreat, please click HERE so you are all caught up and know what we are talking about.)

We are READY!  Well, at least we think so.  Our first passenger has arrived at the gate and is ready to check in.  Others soon follow shortly behind and our ground crew is hard at work getting everyone where they need to be.





Within minutes, we learn that our plans are not going to work and we start punting.  No one else knows this, of course, and everything continues.  Passengers are asked first thing if they have a passport.  Blank looks ensue as naturally, no one does.  They are then sent to the passport office to have their picture taken and receive a passport.  No smiling now.


One bag is checked and the passenger is admitted through security.  Sometimes the lights went off, sometimes they didn't.


Upon leaving security, the guests are then in the airport terminal where the boutiques are open and ready for them to kill time waiting for the flight to depart.

Oooh la la -- LulaRoe everywhere and all are happy with it.  So many luscious treasures are going on the flight with us.

The last passenger arrives, passport photos are taken and we are ready for the flight crew to arrive and get this plane off the tarmac.


Here they come - I think Debi has a high arm march going on here.


The flight attendants give instructions to the passengers - perhaps this needed to be better rehearsed.

And just like that, we are up in the air and headed for Xanadu.  Now, let me tell you a little about this plane.  It's super special.  Our rooms are on board.  Yep, you read that right ---this plane has everything one would need for a trip to remember.

Flight attendant Sherri goes through the cabin taking drink requests while the rest of the crew put lunch together --- the plane is on autopilot, of course.  Yes, we serve alcohol, but it will cost you a fat quarter.  That is the currency for this trip.  Lunch is served at their seats and with full bellies all around, we relax and enjoy the flight.


The last of the name tag holders are being painted in the galley.  They are all complete now.  YES!  It only took a year to get them finished.


And our finished products.  Next retreat, I'll get a picture of them all together.



I don't often spotlight the handout gifts, but these are just so darn cute.  Awesome job Ana.

Stephannie has received the passport photos back (yes, this airline can do it all and it's time to put them in each person's passport so they are valid while in Xanadu.

I have to admit --- these look more like mug shots.  I need a hair cut oh so bad.

Let's see - my favorites in the realistic division are Sharron, Maria, Gwen, Stephannie, and me.  These are just dang scary.  She told everyone that if they smiled it would cost them a fat quarter.  No one wants to give those up.


In flight projects are being offered and the first one is service oriented.  We are working on Fidget Blankets for the elderly or mentally impaired.  There are several samples to go by and minds are already working on their own -- Val has brought sacks and sacks of odds and ends to use.


Debi is the first to finish one and it's fantastic.  You can tell she is left handed.


The plane has landed in Xanadu and we are ready to raise the flag.  Sherri has made the coolest flag for us and it will fly each and every time that the Quilt Sisters are in the house at Brazos.  Yes, she got permission and we could not be happier.  (The previous post had an up close shot of the flag in it.)


I think Stephannie got a better video than me, but this one at least has it going up.


The wind is cooperating --- look at that.


Stan and Kay, our hosts, have a new puppy and everyone is just in love with him.  I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up missing on the last day.



Scenes from the cabin - this flight is like a cruise ship.  We return to the plane after the day's excursions of shopping.



Since we are on the ground now and have left the airport far behind, some of our boutique is gone.   The room is now the "lost and found" or swap table and there are also yummy home-canned treats for sale..  I love that this is always such a hit.

I WISH I could remember everything that brought these next two pictures on, but I can't.  What happens at retreat, stays at retreat.


Maria is our newest Emerald.  Congratulations!!



So, you're probably wondering if any sewing is going on.  Well, yes.  Quite a bit actually.  Glenda has our first TA-DA


For our evening entertainment --- we have the Garlic Knot exchange that needs to take place.  Many hands make light work of it.  To see how this all came about, feel free to click on THIS LINK.

And that's about it for the first day.  I am beat and off to bed leaving it in the capable hands of everyone else.  Tomorrow is another fly day and we will be off to Bora Bora.  Are you coming along?  (keep reading)


Good morning.  WE are boarded and ready for flight.  The drink cart is out and I think some are getting their party on bright and early today.  Well, as the saying goes, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Some of the Garlic Knots are already on a design wall.  Debi is running a race and is definitely in the lead.

Ana starts out the day with a TA-DA.  Ahhh, the exchange from a couple of years ago.  Love, love, love this layout.  I see my blocks.


Paula with a T-Shirt Quilt TA-DA


And Glenda with her Jamestown Landing.  I  am still soooo far away on this one.


Jennifer shares her pumpkin quilt --- so dang cute.


The starch bar is open in the library as most of the swap table items have been claimed.


Today's class is in session.  Maria is teaching postcards and luggage tags - both of which are must needed on a trip as long as this one is.  I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.  I still love the luggage tags I made last year.  They are perfect for my little suitcase.

Glenda with another TA-DA -- she is just cranking them out.


I managed to finish a couple of TA-DA's myself.  A little lap quilt and two pillow shams.  All quilted and bound - ready for the holidays.


Maria with a TA-DA


It's game night and that means it's Jello Shot time.  Hello Maria --- these look so good.


Some costumes at play


And fun from the room


Don't ya'll want to know what Lydia said to Val --- now THAT's a blush.


Me and my shadow . . .


And the winners are:  Ana with the Fat Quarters and Layer Cakes to Jen and Jen.


Some photo booth fun


Apparently the bowl these were in became needed


And people have certainly filled up areas on the map.  Where can I add by next year?


More photo booth fun.


Ahhhh



And, no --- you don't want to ask.  Things went truly crazy and down hill from here.

It's definitely a "ya had to be there moment."  I love these ladies so very much.  My heart is warmed just by being around them and their willingness to play.  I refuse to get so old I can't let down and have fun.  Laughing til you can't stand is oh so good for us.  Take the time to engage in it now and then.  Perhaps you don't want picture proof like this, but then again --- I love having them.

Last man standing pic while there.


It's day three and I am up trying to get the library broke down and reset for our maintenance workshop taking place in there today.  While walking past the piano, I spot the postcards/luggage tags from yesterday's class.  These are WONDERFUL!



Just as I finish setting up the room, I look outside to see that the maintenance man (my sweet Mister) has arrived and in full regalia.  Dang I love that man.


Let's get this class started with the first two students.  I see clean Featherweights in the future.


Shortly after Mister arrives, a group of us take an excursion trip into Granbury and stop off at Sew Krazee where I manage to get some fabric for my Garlic Knot quilt.  To check out the shop and see our crazy fun, click HERE to get to the post.

It's a fun trip that includes losing people in Wal-Mart and stuffing our faces with bread on the way back to the plane.


We are no sooner back and Maria has a TA-DA -- apparently some people are sewing today.


Today's class is about to start.  It is travel pillows - you know -- the U-shaped ones to save your neck.  I have a super simple pattern and the instructions are even simpler.  How many will get made?


Jennifer M with a TA-DA


Val with a TA-DA as well


Ooooh -- I see pillows.


Another couple of fidget blankets are finished


More pillows


Group photo time and our maintenance man is at the camera --- hmmmm  First with props and then without.  Back row:  Gwen, Jennifer S., Jennifer M., Jennifer H., Stephannie, Val, Debi K., Maria, Sherri, Fawn, and yours truly.  Front row:  Tracey, Glenda, Joyce, Ana, Paula, Lydia, and Sharron.  Thank you, ladies, for being the best group of women to hang out with.



It's dinner time and I get to enjoy it with my sweetheart before he leaves and heads off to his cabin for the night.


And NOW, here's our toast to the end of a fantastic retreat year.  Bring on 2018.


Maria, how did you miss the toast?  I thought I counted --- ugh.


Turn in those passports -- it's time for the drawing.  Ya'll remember those fat quarters we've been being paid --- well someone is now going to win them.

And Sherri is carrying this out in fine fashion.  Who will it be?  Who will it be?  Guess what -- the person isn't even in the room and has no idea what is going on.  Congratulations Ms. Sharron.

And the Grand Prize of the Sassy doll goes to Ana ---- Yay!!!  Now get those passports back to everyone, they just may need them next year.


Fawn with a TA-DA


After some story telling in the library, Stephannie leaves her camera unattended ---  BIG mistake -- HUGE  -- over 50 pictures later and why are you down there Sherri?


From the library to the photo booth --- perfect.  Yes, you may go to the restroom, but perhaps you won't come back out.


And then I do the same thing.  I left my camera in my daughter's hand while I went to the kitchen.


Love and laughter ran amok and what a truly fun evening.  Now it's back to work.  Jen has been working on this stocking all weekend and has her TA-DA


Another pillow and a book TA-DA


Sherri with Garlic Knots TA-DA


My start to finish at retreat -- TA-DA - quilted and bound.


And the final last woman standing for this year.  Love, love, love   (keep reading)


It's Sunday and that is always sad.  It means we have to pack up and land this flight.  What a great time we have had and the memories will last a lifetime.  Val has been gifted a hat that Joyce made during retreat.  WOW.

Maria with another TA-DA --- I should stay at my machine more often.  She just gets so much done.


A few shots that were sent to me by others. 

Ana's Ribbons of Love --- my heart is just so happy to see this.


Fawn's almost TA-DA


Lydia's TA-DA


Val's TA-DA


and Stephannie's Garlic Knot TA-DA


The point we've been dreading has arrived.  The flag has to come down.  So sad. Yes, we're smiling but still sad.


Watching the video, I think we should have sang.  Perhaps next time.  Until then --- keep on creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment