Thursday, November 16, 2017

Garlic Knot Exchange

Waaaaay back in August, Ana suggested doing a Garlic Knot block exchange in the Facebook group.  I gave her thumbs up and away it went.  The pattern is by Bonnie Hunter, only we sized it up and chose to use red/green/white for Christmas.

When what to our shocked eyes should appear, but 30 people signed up and ready within 24 hours.  Exchange closed and away we went.

8/7  I am in Abilene for a few days and this seems like as good a place as any to get a start on these blocks.  I cut, cut, cut - starting with strips just like we are supposed to.




And then ---- I just kept cutting until I had lots and lots of little squares and bricks.  Crazy me made so much more work for myself than was required.  Oh well.  At least they are cut.

9/9  One month later, I have some time at the beach and am not really up to a large project.  Let's get these made.

Even with all my bits and pieces, they go together quick and in no time I have long chains of pretty red/green/white coming together.


I zip ahead just a bit to see how one would look.  Not too bad.  Now back to chaining.


 9/10  Still at the beach and my blocks are complete.  Check that off the list and since everyone is sending them to me, I don't even have to do another thing until the exchange takes place in November.  Woot woot.  (Several others finish at the beach too, so I am going home with more than one set.)


10/10 I've just returned from retreat at Brazos and have collected more Garlic Knots from several ladies.  When I get home, it is brought to my attention that a couple of blocks have an issue.  Hmmm.


I do some quick unstitching and then toss them in as leader/enders for today and soon, they are right and back into the back they arrived with.


11/8  The box on the bed is burgeoning.  It's only a week before retreat and I'm still waiting on a few sets.  The exchange is right around the corner and everyone is getting excited.


11/15  Upon arriving at retreat, we are short one set of blocks so I set to work helping Debi get a set together and sewn before the exchange tomorrow night.  Yes, last minute sewing is happening but after I got them cut, she had a couple of helpers to get them all together.  Whew.  I think we are ready as several others have made extra blocks too and we are likely covered from those who dropped out at the last minute.  Time to exchange.

11/16  Using the kitchen table at Brazos, Ana and I get all the blocks laid out and then call in everyone who has participated in this to help us get them rebundled.  It's perfect with many hands helping and we are finished in about 15 minutes.  Now, all that is left is for Ana to take the sets of those who are not at retreat to the post office.  And we're done.   I have my set and will now let ideas percolate as to how to put them together.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that looks like fun! I've never done a sewing exchange before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this block before. I think it will look lovely when they are put into a top. Sounds like a fun exchange!

    ReplyDelete