Saturday, September 30, 2017

September Quilt Update


Welcome to the Monthly Update.  What does that mean?  Well, it's just little ol me trying to recap what took place during the month so that I can keep track.  I kind of use it like a journal.  Please sit back and enjoy a peek into a month of my life.

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

The previous 2017 monthly update links are located at the end of this entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

Goals:

Easy Street (ES) - quilted, bound -  QUILTED and binding is attached!!!
Garden Party (GP) - quilted and bound - 
Midnight Flight (MF) - blocks made
BOM (blue) quilted and bound -
BOM (Thimbleberries)  quilted and bound -
BOM (pink) quilted and bound -

1st  -  It's MYSTERY DAY!!!!  Here is your Clue 1 link.  Oh Wow.  I can't believe that it is already September and I have had these same goals for MONTHS now.  What on earth is up with me?    I am recommitting to being more organized and staying home more.  Now, with that said, I have a beach retreat lasting 10 days this month, but that's all.  I hope I can get a grip on things again.  At any rate, let's get this party started.




2nd -  One of my additional changes is to really focus on my sweetheart.  I love being with him and want that to be a priority from here on out, even if it means missing out on girlfriend quilting time.  Today is such a day.  We are off to the zoo to say goodbye to some of our favorite animals.  While it is sad to say farewell, we have a lovely day together.  You can follow our fun by clicking on THIS ZOO LINK.  After the zoo, we spend the rest of the day DARTing around the metroplex.  Here's another DART LINK to see what else happened today.  It's worth a check, especially if you like new adventures.

3rd - It's another day with my Mister and halfway through we decide to try and get gas.  We are successful and still don't fill the tank the whole way.  There are others who need gas too.  At least he can get to work Tuesday. (No, I'm not driving and taking a picture -- I leaned over from the passenger seat to get this one.)


4th - With it being Labor Day, I am treated to a third day with my hubby.  We've opted for a stay home and relax day and one point Mister goes out to water the herbs and discovers that his little friend of last month is still hanging out in the plants.  Other than that --- just a calm, calm day.

5th -  I've spent the day working on the mystery and have another clue finished.  Woohoo.  Additionally, I have spent time making sure all the woolies and beach blocks are together and unable to be left behind this week.  Let the packing begin.

6th -  The lists are enormous and yet, I'm not really focusing well today as I'm trying oh so hard to get past a cold that has been around for the weekend.  It's nicest gift is the removal of my voice.  Yep, the ladies at retreat will likely all jump for joy.  After working on pictures and some minor blogging, I'll just call it a loss and move on.

7th -  Okay, I no longer can procrastinate on packing for retreat.  I leave tomorrow and really need to gather everything.  It takes most of the day, but I think I have a handle on it and am ready for Lydia to arrive in the morning.  Yes, it WILL all go into the suitcase.


The hall is full of the rest.  Hahahahaha -- you didn't really think it was just a suitcase did you?


8th -  Up, up, up.  I am up and running.  Lydia arrives and we happily take off to retreat.  TEN glorious days of fun but first, I have to make sure the second mystery clue posts.  Here is YOUR  Clue 2 LINK.  If for some reason, you want to follow along with our antics down at the beach, you can.  This Beach Retreat Group 1 LINK tells all.  Well most of it anyway.

9th -  Since I've linked to the beach retreat, I'll just focus in this post on what I actually accomplish while here.  Today I am working on the upcoming Garlic Knot Christmas Block Exchange.  I have 30 blocks to do as my part.



10th -  It's Sunday and I'm trying to take it a bit easier.  I still don't have a voice and I've brought some handwork to do.  My little nativity wool set is here and I take everything out, look at it, and promptly take a nap.  For the afternoon/evening -- I do manage to complete all of my required Garlic Knots.  That means I receive a check mark on the MUST DO list.  Yay me.

11th -  I am working on the mystery today so, alas, no pictures to show.  I do, however, take some time for walks along the beach and am lucky enough to spend some time on Shell Beach.  I am not really after shells, but do find some nice sea glass.  I'm thinking I'll try and get some more and perhaps do a little jewelry work this winter.

12th -  I've decided to spend a little quiet time in my room today and managed to finish graphing out my beach quilt.  Yay!!!!  I'm really excited and can't wait to get started on it, but it will have to wait awhile still.  There are just too many irons in the fire ahead of it.  Once I finished, I helped Lori graph out her beach top too.  Some of the ladies left today and with our smaller numbers, the Tweener part of the retreat has officially begun.  You really should check out our Tweener LINK and all the fun we have had.  It will even explain the next two pictures in detail.  Honest -- it's an interesting story.


13th -  I have brought all of the necessary supplies to get the remaining pairs of slippers cut out while here.  Today is the last day I will have this much table space and I am not letting it pass.  Eight pair are now ready for the stitching to begin.  Whew --- this part just takes forever and I am ever so glad it is behind me.



14th -  With people arriving today, I am finishing up the Mystery clue that I have out and after greeting everyone, I do manage to also get one of my additional beach blocks cut out.  Progress, although small --- still steady.  To follow along with the second group here is your Group 2 LINK.



15th -  I can't believe how quick the weeks are flying by.  Another release and here is the Clue 3 LINK for the mystery.  Wow.  I am now a stripper.  Since I already had the cutting stuff out, I decided to start stripping for the slippers.  My little stash of red/black/white has been depleted over the last few months.


16th -  Well, now what?  My attention does not seem to stay in any one place for more than a day right now.  I've decided to drag out a major UFO.  I haven't touched this one since September of 2015 and then it was only to take it out and realize I didn't have everything I needed so packed it back up again.  Prior to that -- October 2014.  Perhaps I can make some progress on it before it goes into hiding again.

These are Amish bookmarks and the tiny paper-pieced squares finish at 2" as they are 2 1/2" now.  With today's efforts, I have managed to finish all of the little squares finally.  NO, I didn't do them all today, just the upper right ones pictured below.  Some of them already have their sashing on and are ready to hook together.  If I can managed to stay on task, perhaps that will happen tomorrow.  No promises though -- the beach is mighty relaxing.


17th -  It does appear that I want to sew a bit today.  I work on getting the blocks into strips and then trimming and depapering happens as well.  Ummmm, that later part was just not that much fun.  Now, I'll just pack these away again as I am breaking down my station tonight for the trip home tomorrow.  Super sad to think about leaving.



18th - I have the BEST friends in the world and am so incredibly thankful to those who stayed and helped me get the house ready for departure today.  It's a bit of work and I couldn't do it without them.  On the way home --- this Buc-ee's virgin is no longer.  Check out the BUC-EE'S STOP LINK,

19th - My day is spent uploading pictures  and developing them.  Elisabeth stopped by to pick up her beach blocks and visit for awhile.  Was good to see her as it had been awhile.

20th -  It's another day of pictures and emails.  When I'm gone for awhile, the bookwork stares at me upon my return so that needs to be handled too.  Oh, while I'm at it, I book next year at the beach too.  Awesome!!!!

21st -  Finally!!!  I have finished the last of the pictures and they are all in the blog.  There were over 900 pictures to go through this time.  What is wrong with me????  I really need to stop taking so many pictures.  Other than time on the computer, the Birthday Fat Quarter envelopes for October are in the mail.  Another check mark for me.

22nd -  I used to teach a monthly class and I remember saying that it was amazing how often that time came around and I would be teaching again.  Well, apparently releasing clues works the same way.  It is week 4 and that is crazy to me.  Here is the  Clue 4 LINK for those who are working on it still.  I am working on blog posts and mystery clue posts like a mad woman.  Type, type, type.  After October, it will be sew, sew, sew.  While typing away, Mister sent me to a local estate sale in the hopes of scoring a cool little Wilcox and Gibbs.  That was not meant to be but I did find some cool treasures and helped a friend get a new machine.  Take a peek at this ESTATE SALE LINK.

AND --- a package from my grandchildren arrived today thus creating a hospital environment in our office.  If you never click links, this is one you really should.  The post tells all about the surgery that took place today here at home.   H&Z LINK   Oooooh, AND I mailed beach blocks out.  It was a productive day leading to a fun Friday night with my dear Mister -- coffee, Babes, auction.  All the fun can be found in this LINK to the post.


23rd -  Saturday with Mister - just spent at home relaxing -- odd but true

24th -  I guess just relaxing yesterday made us feel a bit guilty.  Today we are up and out.  With stops at Cafe Brazil, the DMA, downtown, shopping for shirts, and back home to watch a movie on Netflix -- just perfectly peaceful.  The DMA was magnificent and worth a post all of it's own --- here's your DMA LINK that will explain the pictures below.



25th - I am up this morning and super motivated.  I am going to get so much done.  Just as I'm starting to settle in, my sweetheart calls and begs me to do something for him.  UGH.  The next six hours will be occupied in an deadline project he forgot about, thus netting me yellow roses as he walks in the door after work.  What is it they say about the best of plans?

26th -  I'm SEWING!!!!  Apparently that whole new attitude at the beginning of the month took awhile to sink in.  Perhaps October will be better.  One can hope.  I WILL be more organized.  I WILL be more organized.  I WILL be more organized.  Now, where are those ruby slippers?

27th -  Once upon a time, I went to the warehouse district with friends and came home with this beautiful, bright green fabric to use in a costume for the October retreat.  That retreat is now just a week away and perhaps I should make the costume, or at least part of it.  While collecting the fabric from the studio, I discovered a purse I made last May that has been languishing out there waiting for me to finish gluing down the embellishments.  Again, that last trip to the warehouse district also delivered some "amazing" glue -- that is the highest recommendation from my friend, Janet.  She has promised it will keep things in place.  So between sewing and gluing, I'm having a productive day.



Meanwhile, it is raining!!!!!  Oh, I do love the cooler fall air that we have today.  Will it last?


28th -  After letting my purse dry overnight, the first thing I do today is flip it over and glue the second side.  NOW, determination has set in and I am going out to the studio to take my mid-arm out of time out.  Wish me luck everyone.  -------  It goes okay.  That's the best I can say right now.  I have updated the post on this OLD mystery I am trying to finish and here is the Easy Street Update LINK.

29th - The last time I lost patience with this quilt, it sat for MONTHS.  I am not going to let it beat me today, but first it appears that another week has gone by and is time to release another mystery clue.  Here is the link for Clue 5.  Now, out to the studio.  I can do this and if you read the update link from yesterday, you already know that I did manage to get this sweetheart off the frame.  Can I get a Hallelujah here? 


Since I now need to attach the binding to this quilt as per my OCD nature, I turn to my sewing machine.  Ooops.  Where is it and how do I get to it?  Dang, this drop and pile that has taken place since my quilting machine went into timeout has gotten totally out of control.  It just keeps happening and this habit must be broke.


This means I need to drop anything else that was planned right now and clean the studio.  Yes, that is what it means.  I did mention the OCD nature right?  I HAVE to put binding on immediately after trimming the quilt and I've already done that.  It takes awhile, but I am able to finish my project.  No, I didn't just move it all out of the picture --- it got put away.  Well, most of it anyway.  Some went into the house to be packed for retreat in a few days.



 The binding and label are on and into the house I go to take the final clamps off my purse.  TA-DA.  I actually have a finished item this month.  Go me.

The next step will be to actually use this purse.  It is way more colorful than I am and so out of my comfort zone.  I bought the kit at the Moda Warehouse a few years ago and had originally planned on making it as a gift.  However, . . . . I like it more and more so think I'm going to give it a try for myself.

30th -  The weekend means family time and today is truly that.  We are off to The Colony for a swim meet that our grandson, Jon, is in.  Following that is some shopping and a stop at BLRC to say hello to everyone at the day retreat.  Want a peek at the swim meet?  Here's your Swim Meet Post link.  And that is the end of another month.  I'm improving, but we'll see just how much this next month.  October will be fun for sure.  I have a retreat, travel, time with my sweetheart, and a mystery reveal.  Stay tuned.

As always, thank you so very much for checking in with me again this month.  I do this for ME and appreciate you so much for peeking in now and then.  Since it is for me, I keep it ad free and hope for it to stay that way.  It's just a way of holding memories tight.  Check back in now and then (or sign up for email notifications and you'll never miss a post) and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I am grateful for everyone who reads each month.

Links to Previous 2017 Monthly Update Posts:

January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017

2 comments:

  1. Love the updates. Looks like your bedroom is populated with sewing machine tables -- do you let them out to play? would love to see pics. I may need to try the bookmark at my retreat next week - is there a pattern or link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO take them out to play often. The two near the window are a Singer 185J (Here is a link to a post about it http://myquiltyworld.blogspot.com/2015/08/please-welcome-danielle-my-185k.html) and the other is a Singer 301 LBOW. On the right side of the bed is a Singer 66 Red Eye that is still being worked on to put into use. As for the bookmark, here is a link to the pattern: http://www.patchpieces.com/files/amishqmark.pdf. Thank you so much for reading - it's a whirlwind for sure.

      Delete