Monday, September 18, 2017

Surfside Beach Retreat #2

We are now in the second half of day 7 and our numbers are increasing again.

Our first-timer, Gilley has joined in and is followed up by a carload of four more.

I love that before they have barely arrived, Stephanie is heading for the beach to get her feet in the water.  YES!  Setting up can always happen, but we're at the BEACH!

There is a group of tweeners heading out for their afternoon walk and as I watch from the deck, Stephanie just joins right in -- padding around with her shoes in her hand.




Thanks to Rocky, I have this great picture to share.


And a few more fun ones too


So much relaxation going on here -- it thrills me to watch it come about.


Indoors, Lydia is sandwiching her quilt and taking advantage of household items to help hold it in place.  Creativity is always on hand here.


It's the first night of a new retreat and that means The Red Snapper Inn for dinner.  This makes my third and final trip this year.  Three times in a year is good.  I have even more opportunities on reunion years down here.  AS we enter the building, the sunset stops me in my tracks for another picture.  Ahhhh.  The colors are just intense tonight and a quick run across the highway eliminates the power lines from my view.  Nice.


Smiles all around and new friends being made.


Our evening is spent in a much more productive manner, sewing wise.  People have settled in and lots of different projects are being undertaken.  I love that so much handwork is here this year.  It's the perfect place for it.  Low stress.

There is the hum of sewing machines in addition to conversations all around the room.  Evenings are made for this.  We have to be inside and it's our chance to learn from one another.


I'm relaxing on my bed when suddenly I notice how quiet it is.  Apparently EVERYONE has gone outside.  What on earth drew everyone out at once?



Okkaaaay -- Apparently there is quite the hubbub on the beach.  Some silly person has driven onto the pedestrian only beach, buried itself in the sand, and abandoned the vehicle, leaving the police to discover it.

Funny, funny, funny.  This goes on for quite some time as several people return to try and get the car out.  The thing is, ya'll know me.  Can't let a picture moment get away from me so I run back into the house, up the stairs and out onto the upper deck.


Hey a'll --- get together and look up here.  Thank you.


Now, it's back to bed for real for me.  I am one tired girl tonight.  Perhaps it was that glass of wine with dinner.  At any rate, see ya tomorrow.


WOW -- I just realized that we only have a few days left.  No, no, no.  I just won't think about it.  Day 8 has me out of bed bright and early to see the sunrise (well that happens when you go to bed early) and once again, I'll limit my pictures as my finger was just snapping away.


My partner in crime this morning is Stephanie and we are both able to get in a decent walk before returning to the house.



Oh, and there are jellyfish all over the beach.  Hmmmm.


Another trip to Shell Beach is requested so off we go.  I have to admit - I love getting out and about a LOT.  It breaks up the day and keeps me moving around.  My Fitbit is happy with me this past week.

I'm still on the hunt for sea glass and am able to once again get a baggie full.  I am so hoping for a few really nice jewelry pieces and then fill a pretty jar for my room.



Linda is always game for a trip down and she is leaving retreat tomorrow so this is her last chance to gather some more shells before returning to Arkansas.

I'm feeling pretty good since I have quite a bit of glass so back off on the hunt and wander around watching the others.  What is Rocky up to?  I love that she is always in pursuit of the perfect picture.  Perhaps next time I will bring the good camera down here but Mister is so picky about the humidity getting into his lens.




With my treasures firmly in hand, it's time to make the trek back to the house.   Eveline has arrived and our house is full once again.   Lunch awaits and I'm actually quite hungry today.  Making the attempt to get a group picture at meal time does not go well for me and I have to split the group in two --- THEN the exposure is off.  Go figure.


As soon as the tables are cleared off, I can lay out the last of the beach blocks and let the second group of fun begin.  Smiles all around as they see what everyone has created.  Now, please count and make sure that you have 20 of them and oh, by the way, will you sign mine please.

It's a rough life here.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.





I'm like - "Squirrel" --- Go outside, breathe, return.  Notice the people in the water.  So interesting.


I have red/whites/blacks to strip out for several pair of slippers that need to be made this fall.  Now is as good a time as any to get some cutting done.  For some reason, sitting is just not in my paradigm right now.

As I'm cutting away, Ramona has finished her beach top (sans borders) and I have to tell you --- IF I was doing sashing, these polka dots are the bomb.  Love, love, love.

Just before dinner, we gather for a group picture as we are losing two of our troupe tomorrow morning.  That means awards too.  Eveline has progressed to RUBY!   Woot Woot

And, drumroll please ----- Lydia is now a Sapphire.  Perfect top for the occasion.  Congratulations to you both.  Love the fun of the crowns.


Group picture TIME!  What a wonderful group of women to surround myself with.  I am indeed blessed.  Back row:  Lydia, Lori Ramona, Mindy, Stephannie, Stephanie, Janet, Debi, Maria  Front row:  yours truly, Rocky, Val, Arlene, Linda, Eveline, Gilley.  (Thank you, Rocky, for taking our picture.)


Our newbies for this retreat are Mindy, Stephanie, Janet and Gilley.  We also forgot last week that this is Rocky's first time here too.  (Same with some others but I missed out on that - drat).

And our true Newbie to the group is Gilley.  What a delight she is and a great addition to our merry band.

Our evening entertainment is a trip out to the jetty to watch the sunset.  Who is going along?  Well, let's get going then.



Wow.  It's absolutely beautiful in the light of the setting sun.   Driftwood glows


 and pelicans start roosting.


The birds are in their final flights for the evening


And the sun is taking a break from lighting and heating us all day.


It's absolutely beautiful and we just can't get enough.



A random stranger comes along and asks if we want our picture taken.  Okay.  (This isn't my picture so I didn't add light to the faces.)


As the sun falls, we start out journey out to the absolute tip of the jetty.



Every few steps, we stop for pictures.  No, not just me -- all of us.

They are just oh so worth it as we catch the shimmer of the sun on the water before it says good night to us.

I know, I know.  Too many picture, but dang they are pretty and part of our story for the evening.

Just one more and I'll leave you be.  Ooooh, the sun has a halo.

Now back to our walk.  Look at the barnacles on the rocks as we travel along.  You have to look quick as the waves wash over them constantly.

And before we know it, we are there.  The sign indicates we have reached the end of the jetty.  The fishermen have all vacated for the evening as the sun has now sunk for the day and darkness will soon engulf us.  Debi and I arrive first ---


Followed shortly by Rocky and Stephannie


Group shot


Okay, it's dark and Mama Bear is starting to worry.  I'd like us to get off the jetty before we can't see so it's time to move on back towards shore.  I look back and spot the girls taking a moment and Rocky catches me watching them with much better settings on her camera.  Fun times.


AS we are walking, I spot the rays around the refineries.  Oh my -- snap, snap, snap  Our next treat are dolphins swimming right alongside us.  I means, seriously, maybe 50 feet away.  They are so very cool to watch.


When we were walking out, we passed several fishermen and Debi told them to catch a shark for us.  Lo and behold, as we are arriving back there, they start shouting with glee.  Success and we are just in time for some pictures.  Crazy, but a black tip shark was caught just now.

As we are walking back in, I spot these words on the walkway.  What????


Off the jetty????   Um, no thank you.


WE make it almost to the end of the jetty and a rat crosses our path.  As I am out in front, someone asks, "What was that?"  My response??? "It's time to get off the jetty."  A little further on, I see something out of the corner of my eye on the rocks to the left and think they are the biggest rats I have ever seen.  What is it with this trip to the beach?  Mosquitos, Love Bugs, Biting Flies, Dragonflies, Stingrays, Jelly Fish, and now rats????  Ugh.  Rocky has peace of mind to flash her camera that way and it turns out they are raccoons.  Wow!  It's a regular zoo down here.  (Yes, I left out the dolphins, pelicans, sand crabs, herons, and gulls -- we LIKE them.)  Oh wait, did I mention the flying fish?  Yep, they're here tonight too. Time to go back to the house.

Those who stayed behind have actually created things with fabric.  Hmmmm.  Lori has another TA-DA with her Monopoly top.


Val lined up her TA-DA's on the banister out front for a picture and is kind enough to share it with me.  WOW --- she has been a binding machine.


Maria has Jell-O shots waiting for us.  Yes, thank you.  I am definitely going to have to make the strawberry ones when I get back home.  The black cherry still tastes like cough syrup to me.  Oh well.

Lori has a TA-DA

And with that, I'm once again off to bed.  You would think the Jell-O shots would keep me awake, but nope, they relaxed me and I'm so ready for sleep.  All this walking in the fresh air has me definitely tired.



The day 9 dawn is breaking and I have to tell you --- It is incredible.  Well worth getting up for.


I'm not alone out here this morning as Lori, Rocky, and Stephanie are along for Nature's wonderful show.

The colors reflecting in the water are those of cool pinks and purples mixed with the yellow and oranges.  I am just in awe and wish it would last a bit longer than it does.



Here come the lady of the day.


Once again, our beach is just cluttered with jelly fish.  ALL OVER THE PLACE.  We have to watch where we walk as they come in all colors, shapes, and sizes.

Oh wait, I'm supposed to be watching the sunrise.



Toes in the sand.


And one final look back.  Okay, that's it.


By the time I reach the deck of the house, I realize I have lied.  One more.  What an incredible show today.  (Just so you know, I easily have triple this amount of pictures -- I saved ya'll from them.)



I think the jetty did me in a bit last night as the old hips are giving me grief.  Some yoga time on the deck might just make the world right again.  (Thank you, Rocky, for this picture.)  While I'm down here, will someone hand me my phone.



AS the day gets going, I find that I'm wanting a wee bit of solitude.  With a paper and pen, I retreat to the deck alone to see if I can do some scheduling for the week after I return home.  Apparently, the brain had a different idea and words start to flow onto the paper.  Here ya go -

The beach is a theater that soothes my soul
Using a constantly changing scenery as the lead role
Sound is provided by the crashing ov waves
And lighting from sunrises that garner mad raves

Each day is an act that begins anew
With birds that fly by as if on cue
The ever-lasting sand is the ultimate stage
Giving the entire play peace through which I can age.

Oh I know, it's rough, but I like it and will keep it as is since it all took place there.

Meanwhile, inside --



And out on the deck --


Rocky is once again in demand for her massages.  One of these days, I'll have to give them a try.


If  you think we are one trick ponies -- think again -- from binding to geneology


to gift giving of the most amazing kind --- thank you so much Gilley


To bags, sunbathing, and jelly roll race projects


We all come together in this place hopefully go home having gained whatever we needed to.


Including moments of pure fun that are sharable -- most of what happens at retreat, stays at retreat, but a few moments can be shared.


And a new inspiration taking place --- What a unique opportunity this is.


We have "What the hell?" moments that require everyone to put their thinking caps on and help.

It all takes place in these walls and on the deck and beach.  What a treasure to be able to be here and experience it all.  Yep, I'm waxing philosophical today.  Deal with it.


Ooooh, look who finally found her sewing machine.  I know, I know -- she already made a bag.  I'm just joking as she share the title of hand binding queen with Debi this year.

It's about the time of day for a walk and off we go, attempting to avoid the incredible amount of jellyfish on the beach.  It's crazy for sure and the tide is coming in along with it.  I can't decide if sand I can see or water is best.  There are just so many mines today.


Shadows


These crab??? mounds look like we are on the moon.  Are they our next invasion?

The ripples in the sand are pretty incredible too.  Are they tracks?  Or just the waves in a continuous motion?

A little fun (well for most of us -- Maria is not at all sure being under here.)




My eyes almost can't take it all in today.

AS we are walking along, I notice that overnight the rocks have grown moss.  How does that happen?  These were all solid gray yesterday and underwater.  Science is truly baffling me this trip.

And just what the heck is this thing?  Yuck.


Okay, enough.  It's time to return and perhaps have a drink.  Sharron left all the fixings for Blue Hawaiians and I think it's time to use them up.  Oh they are just so yummy.

And Maria has a woollie TA-DA, earning her a charm.  Way to go Maria.


More massages


And a Debi TA-DA - front and back.   Love those fat ladies on the beach.  What a great quilt.


I have actually sewn today -- I know -- It's Impossible, you say.  Well, I have.  All these little blocks are ready to move on in their project.  NO, I didn't do them all today.  Just the ones in the upper right.  They will finish at 2 1/2".  Bright and pretty but a true UFO -- I work on them once a year for the past three years.


And today is a wrap.


Oh dang, this day has arrived.  Day 10 means that some more are leaving and it is our last full day here.  With some crazy inner strength, I drag myself out of bed to see the sunrise and since the moonrise was around 5 this morning, I'm catching both.


It's another gorgeous morning.



It appears that the gulls are out in force today.  Is this our animal of the day?



As I return to the house for the actual sunrise, I see the upper deck as viewers as well.


As does the lower deck.

It is truly worth the effort.

How cool is this?

Oh the color burst that we are given.  Stupendous.


Coffee on the deck and time together for the morning.



Picture time.


Beautiful!


Ahhhh --- great start to the day.  It's amazing how quick that sun goes up, isn't it?


Stephannie has her beach top TA-DA --- Stained glass looking.


And a TA-DA from Gilley.  So pretty.  Love the Texas flowers.


Scenes from the room



And Val with a TA-DA --- X's and O's --- Perfect.


I've moved a wee bit along on my blocks and they are threesies now.  All sliver trimmed and ready for the next step.

Gilley's giraffe is coming together too.  This is just dang sweet and oh so far over my head.  Perhaps in another 20 years or so.

Eveline did it!  TA-DA on the woven top.


Lydia has settled in and is determined to finish this quilt tonight.  She needs to take it home finished and golden scissors are on the line too.  Stitch girl, stitch.

I spot Stephanie's handwork unattended and am able to grab a quick picture of it.  She's close, close, close to finishing.



A handwork project from Mindy and Maria's nesting table.


Along with her second "unstitch" project.  Goodness - I've been there, done that.  Taking all the quilting out is never fun.


Remember those gulls I mentioned this morning?  Just off our deck today.



Maria has requested one last trip to Shell Beach and others want to see the jetty.  Off we go again.  I rarely ask for someone to take my picture, but why not today?  Handing Rocky my camera, off I go.


Woah -- these rocks are slippery and I have flip flops on.


I made it ---


And some fun.


Now to wander a bit --- I notice this pillar to the house just hanging over the water AND a jelly fish with several more nearby.


Peek-a-boo Lori.


Waiting on Maria


Once we finish up, the decision is final.  We are ALL going out to the jetty.  Time to get going as I want to be out there BEFORE sunset this time.

Again --- what the heck is this thing?  Life's many surprises down here.

We spot these little Texas shaped tiles in amongst the rock as we walk along.  I need to research the story of them.

And the sun is making it's descent.


We make it!!!  Well three of us are out here anyway.  There are dolphins (sharks?) circling the end of the jetty and we watch for awhile before heading back in.




As we near the end of the jetty, the dolphins (yep, dolphins) out in the bay put on a wonderful show for us.  They jump higher than I've ever seen.  This goes on for about 5 minutes and we just stand in awe.  So very cool and a great reward for us.  Once again, a rat crosses our path and we step up the pace.  Time to return to the house and spend the evening relaxing and enjoying each other.  Well, and breaking down our areas.  Last night together.

I want a few minutes on day 11 to say my own good-bye to the beach before starting the work part of it.  It's as though the beach is sad too as it is raining and cloudy.  I don't care -- out to the beach I go.  I'm going to enjoy this morning no matter what.  The cloud shapes are crazy cool.




Gilley and Rocky are out here too to enjoy the moment


I have to laugh as I look up and it seem as though even the clouds are flipping us off for leaving today.  No one is happy.

I have truly enjoyed this year down here.  We have had 10 drama free days with 22 women and I only feel uplifted and inspired.  Taking advantage of every moment outside that I could has also helped.  I feel healthier -- stronger -- more able to take on the world.  Now all I need is my voice back.  Yep, it is still AWOL.


Here comes the lady one last time before we leave.



I meet up with Mindy on the deck



Well that's it.  Now to get to work.  We all pitch in and start loading things up.  Before people take off, we have Lydia's Golden Scissors to award and who the heck did I get to take this picture?


And her TA-DA


Saying good-bye one last time


Now to get the work done.  My troopers have stayed til the end and I could not be more appreciative.  Honest.  It's just like moving and there is always one more thing to do before we get out of here.  It takes us right up close to the deadline, but some fun is had along the way.  Last minute massage so Lydia can drive and finishing emptying the refrigerator.



And that's it!  We have 20 minutes to spare.  Love these ladies so very much.  Surfside Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment