Friday, September 22, 2017

Estate Sale in the 'Hood

As I am busy working away on the Surfside Beach blog posts, my sweet Mister asks if I'm going to run over to an estate sale in the neighborhood.  It's 8:45 and it opens at 9:00.  I'm still in my pajamas.  Of course I was planning on going.  Silly man.  I had forgotten all about it and since it is day 3 of the sale (he forgot about days 1 and 2) I'm pretty dang sure that the little Wilcox and Gibbs he wants is no longer there.  However, "Yes dear, I'll dress quickly and walk over there to check it out for you."

I arrive and am surprised that there are not more people in the house, assuming that most of the sewing stuff would be long gone.  I was wrong and the amount of machines and supplies still remaining make me think that two days ago this would have be so fun to see.  Oh well.

Naturally, the machine he was interested in is no longer there but I peek around anyway.  The first room has these toy machines in it.  They are cute but I certainly don't need to start a new collection.  Onto another room.



As I enter the room, there is a small table with another toy machine on it AND a pinker.  As day three has discounts involved, I like the price on the pinker and decide it needs to go home with me.


This room also contains a nice Rocketeer in a cabinet and some fun, vintage items as well.  I already own a 500A and pass to move onto another room.


In the last room, I come across another 6 500 series machines, most of them Rocketeers.  There are four on a table and two more on the floor below.  Wow.  Time to do a Facebook post.


There are pedals, attachment boxes, extra cams and oodles of sewing supplies all over the place in here.

I love the old hemline marker and seriously consider it, but who am I kidding.  I won't use it and I don't have the space to display all the sweet items I already own.

The tables are stacked with tubs of thread, patterns, lace, seam binding, buttons, and every small notion you can think of.  I find myself thinking back to 3-4 years ago when I started sewing again.  I grabbed everything I could get my hands on at these sales and as a result, I now have an overflowing studio.  I'll leave this for another person to love.

There is even a box of unfinished quilt tops and blocks available.  If I didn't have my own stack of UFO's that is way to large, I would have considered these for sure.


A few items catch my eye, though, and I have my hands full as I leave the room.  No, the sock monkeys didn't make the trip with me, but once again I have hope that they went into the hands of someone who would dearly love them.

The front room is FULL of dolls (which is why Mister declined to attend this sale -- they freak him out, hahahaha) but back in the far corner I DO manage to spot another machine.  It's a sweet Red Eye treadle and in pretty dang good shape.  Alas, I have two treadles already as well as a Red Eye so again, will leave this for another person dreams to be fulfilled.  The prices at this sale were not too bad to begin with and with the discounts, it made for a very successful day.

I managed to stay sane and be able to carry everything home with me since I walked.  Woohoo.  My new treasures include the pinker, top hat cams in original boxes, a large seam guide, golden embroidery scissors, a vintage needle threader still on the card, and three interesting thimbles with a magnetized holder for use while you are working on a project.  Not too shabby.  Thank you Mister.

No comments:

Post a Comment