Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Surfside Beach Retreat #1

Waiting a whole year for an event to take place requires patience, patience, and more patience with this year requiring an extra dose.  Houston has been hit with an unbelievable hurricane leaving thousands homeless and a large portion of the city underwater.  There have been moments where we were not sure that our annual beach retreat would even take place.  It is a go but we have a bit of guilt at having something so wonderful take place while others are struggling intensely.  We will be boosting their economy so in a small way we are helping by being there.  Surfside Beach was spared but according to the rental property manager, the town is rather quiet.  We will be a burst of energy to the area in more ways than one and this crazy redhead can't wait to hear the ocean.  We're not sure we can even get in the water, but it really doesn't matter - honest.



Today is the day and we are outta here sans my voice.  It has left and that should make everything interesting.  Lydia arrives at my house around 8:30 and we are loaded and on the road by 9.  A quick stop for gas and lunch in The Woodlands and well, hello there Houston.


On the south side of Houston, we see flooding for the first time.  A lot has drained off this week.


And before we know it -- there is out sweet house, just waiting for us.  We are  bit early, so I check to see if it is ready and as luck would have it, it is.  Woohoo.  Lydia and I are able to get inside, take our photos to remember how it is supposed to look and unload the van before others arrive.

Bring on the ladies.  A quick post lets them know they can get into the house a bit early and here they come.


Spots are staked out and for the first time EVER at a retreat, all participants are in the house and set up within an hour of the arrival time.  I'm shocked but thrilled.

I have opted to try and incorporate the sofas into the scheme of things this year and let all the machines be around the edges of the rooms.  We'll see how it goes.

We have had some cancellations this week and several ladies opted to do handwork only leaving us with a very workable space.  Let's get this party started.  I'm hungry and it's dinner time.

The tradition is dinner at The Red Snapper Inn and I have called ahead so that they will have a table that can hold everyone.  Expecting it to not be an issues due to the hurricane, I am so surprised when they say they can't put us all at the same table due to a wedding reception.  Wow.  Oh well, we still need to eat.


Upon our arrival, it turns out that the wedding party will be later so they have created a table for us.  Nice.  Only a few opted to scrounge back at the house.


Dinner is so yummy and we are treated to a beautiful sunset as we go to our cars.


A glance at the beach show the hues of dusk and I catch Lori on the back stairs meditating.  HAHAHAHA  --   This is the first chance I have really had to just take it all in.  Smell the air and notice that the ocean is truly angry.  The water is very brown from the sand bar being churned up and the waves are intense.  I guess Hurricane Irma is sending us some of her wrath.

I think I'll get to work.  Oops - perhaps I need to finish setting up my station first as I've created a lovely mess.

As soon as that is under control, the beach block distribution needs to take place.  We all decided 9 months ago to do a friendship block exchange here this year.  The blocks have all been turned into me and now I need to get them out and ready for each person to collect theirs.  I'm crossing my fingers that a few tops will be finished while here this week.  Not mine, for sure, but hopefully some others.  Don't they look amazing?  Everyone did such a great job.


Let the exchange begin.  For some of us, a signing party takes place next.  Not everyone wanted signed blocks, but I sure did.  Woohoo, I am only 5 names short and I'll write some of those in myself.


Within moments of me picking up the remaining blocks (some people couldn't be here and other will be here next weekend), Lori is ready to lay hers out and see if she will like the bright pink sashing.

Now for a few shots around the room.  The wall ladies.

And the couch ladies.



Where has this day gone?  The moonrise has begun and I try to get a few quick pics.


And that's it for day one.  Good night from Surfside Beach.


Day 2 is well underway by the time I crawl out of bed.  Yep, missed the sunrise and honestly don't care.  I told myself I was going to rest well this trip and I'm off to a great start.  Others, however, are a bit more productive.



I make my way outside and a quick glace back in tells me I'm being watched.


I have brought supplies for each person to make a "beach" themed kleenex holder.

Within moments, we have a couple of TA-DA's. I'm pretty sure there were more of them made but these are the only two who came and wanted their picture taken.  Way to go Linda and Paula.

Val has been busy binding away and also has a TA-DA --- love the greens.


Okay, that's it.  It is definitely time to put these toes in the sand.  I have waited long enough.  As I approach the shore, it's obvious that the tide is waaaay up.  We have very little sand to walk on and what we do have is soft -- not packed down at all.

There are shells scattered everywhere and sand crabs are running around like I have never seen before in the daytime.  The sign that says this is a pedestrian beach is missing - compliments of Hurricane Harvey, I'm sure.  As I get closer to the beach, the mosquitos are not near as bad either.   Perfect.


The surf is still very angry today.


Maria comes down to join me on the beach after I sent word that the crabs are out and we laugh at the silly things for quite awhile before being joined by others.  Usually we only get these opportunities at night.  During the day they are much quieter.  I'm thinking their world is a little messed up right now.


That's our house, on the left - the turquoise one.


As I walk around, guess what?  I have located the pedestrian sign.  It's been washed up under one of the A-Frame houses.  The shoreline is also littered with debris, but almost all of it is natural.  I'm kind of surprised at the lack of just plain garbage on the beach.  It's a good surprise though.

It's almost time for me to return to the house but I'll leave you with some images of the others down here still.  They really want to get their feet wet at least once.

The nightly deck party begins, but is cut short due to  mosquitos tonight.  Hopefully they will spray and reduce the problem this week.


Inside the house, quilt projects ARE happening.  I know that those watching on Facebook are convinced that all we do is hang out at the beach.  Not true.  Debi and Maria have all these quilts to either rip out or bind and Jennifer is busy piecing away on her sweet Featherweight.  I love it when the vintage ladies come to the beach to play too.

I'm not sure where the days go when we are down here but before I know it, the sky is taking on the tinges of sunset.  It's time for a walk.  We can't even get around the A-Frames this year and are forced to walk between them.


First walk is for Debi and I and we know this end of the beach so well.  We go as far as we can and just let the relaxation set in.

After all, that's why we are here, right?  Fun times and great memories being made.


As we walk, a structure is spotted.  Apparently the locals have had some fun with all the driftwood piling up on shore.

And there are the houses.  We cannot even get past this last set of stairs to get to them so this is the end of the road for us tonight.  I think this is a first.  We have always been able to get to them but as I said before, the ocean is a bit angry right now.


Walking towards my room in the house, I spot Jennifer working on the design wall.  Oooooh, this is going to be so pretty.

And, and, and Sharron is working on finishing setting her Christmas quilt from the exchange we did.  My heart is happy seeing this as I think my quilt from this exchange is one of my all-time favorites.

Ladies are settling into their spots for the evening.  NOW some work will get done.



Another glance at the design wall and Jennifer about has her layout finished.  This is going to be amazing.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen peer pressure is running rampant.  Maria has brought one of her famous drink dispensers full of grapefruit, tequila (that lets me out) and serranos.  The ladies are mixing it with Fresca but just watch the pictures play out.  Oh, poor Sharron.




I'm not really up to the game tonight and take my tired body to bed, thus missing the last woman standing pic.  Three survivors make it.  Way to go ladies.

Day 3 arrives and even though I'm a wee bit late, I do get to see part of the sunrise.

I literally take one quick picture and then go back in the house to avoid being eaten by mosquitos.  Lydia is off to church and I'm going to just hang out in my room, quietly doing handwork to try and rest my voice.


Well, that WAS the plan but ya'll know me.  I can't keep my trap shut for anything.  Besides, Maria has made waffles and is topping them with her homemade jams.  Yum.

All right, get to work people.  I LOVE that we are set up to visit while we work.  It's so heartwarming to me to watch these ladies enjoy each other.


Various projects are going on all over the room.


And Paula even has a TA-DA that if I remember right, is almost a group effort.


Val with a TA=DA


The afternoon deck club is starting to meet but lovebugs are making it a bit challenging.  Dang things keep wanting to breed on everyone.  We can all sit out here for hours and hours.  It's so peaceful (except the bugs) as the sound of the ocean permeates every fiber of our being.  Great conversation and wonderful ideas are hatched here.



Before dinner, it's group picture time and that means we have an award as well.  Lori has achieved RUBY status.  Congrats to her.

OHHH, these ladies.  My heart just smiles as I look at this picture.  Ya'll are just so good for me and I'm thankful to have you in my life.  Back row:  Lydia, Ramona, Paula, Val, Meri, Maria, Debi  Middle Row:  Thayne (cheers), Lana, Rocky, Linda, Lori, Jennifer (our photographer)  Front row:  Arlene, Sharron, and yours truly.  Such an incredible group of women.


We also have three newbies this time - Thayne, Lana, Roberta, and Linda.  Welcome, welcome, welcome.  Love having you here with us.


It's time for our sunset stroll.  The mosquitos are not near as bad today, just the love bugs and they are not down by the water.  Maybe tonight we can get closer to the houses.

The water is hugging the shore again and it's pretty dang deep near the houses but we persevere and get past them going as far as we can before having to take the stairs for our return as the tide is coming in.


Never missing an opportunity for a photo op -- the light is so pretty.  Gotta keep these memories.

It's time to return and NOW I realize I have my tiara on and have been talking to all kinds of people on the beach.  Grrrr.


Maria is destitching an entire quilt top for a client and Ramona has taken up a post to help her.  Yep, that's what happens here.

Some beading is taking place along with some "trying to understand the directions and figure out block fabrics."



Sharron's TA-DA.  Love it so much.


Followed by Jen's TA-DA that is just WOW to me.  Maybe someday I'll tackle this pattern by Bonnie Hunter.


They just keep on coming -- Rocky with a TA-DA  This one is very cool too.  Oh the talent in this room.


Moonrise is at 10:50 tonight and I have stayed up just to see it.  Here she comes, all blood red.and heart shaped.


With reflection


And another day is in the books --- night ladies.


Day 4  and I've once again managed to sleep in a bit.  Three cheers for me.  Maria has switched from unstitching a quilt to making hats using a loom.  Val is one of the first recipients and she is just so cute.  The rest of us are running around in shorts and tanks, but she has layers on and is thankful for her hat.  Love it.

The room is a busy little hive with people working on various projects as well as visiting and roaming in and out from the deck.  I've even managed to sit down and get some sewing completed.  Nope, can't show it and lucky for me, no one is really paying attention to it either.


The little moments around the room are the best.  Seriously.  A table covered with yo-yos (although they look like cookies from afar), to discussions regarding quilting.

The, of, course, there are always the "kitchen talks" that bind friendships together -- and the wine doesn't hurt any either.


Finally, it's time to get out and wander a bit.  Yesterday, some of the other ladies discovered what they call "shell beach" and I really want to see what it is all about.  Four of us load up and are soon on our way there.  It's incredible.  Truly.  Hurricane Harvey did leave some special treats too.


Piles and piles of shells.


Not the most flattering picture, but everyone is on a hunt.


With our baggies full of fun, we are soon on the way back to the car but a quick stop at the seawall for a picture takes precedence.

While everyone else was looking for shells, I spent my time learning how to spot the sea glass and managed to find a few pieces to take back with me.  I love it and one of the pieces will make a lovely pendant.

For our afternoon deck sitting, the gulls have decided to perch and I wonder if it has anything to do with the crazy amount of love bugs taking over the village.  Mine, mine, mine.


Everyone is actually eating at the same time (well almost everyone anyway) and I take advantage for a group shot.


Last night, Sharron made her infamous Blue Hawaiian drinks and tonight there are leftovers in the freezer.  Linda and Debi have discovered it and are having their own yummy slushies as a result.

In the meantime, Maria has made some Jell-O shots and they certainly can't be worse than those terrible ones from last year, so I give it a whirl.  Oh my goodness, the strawberry rum ones are to die for.  So, so, good.

Therefore, peer pressure now exists forcing Sharron and Lori to play along.

As evening comes around, I notice that the sun is starting to set and make a mad dash on foot for the bridge into Surfside.  I get there just in time.  Wearing flip-flops.  What was I thinking?  At least the pictures are worth it.




Upon my return, Lori has a TA-DA


Maria has made another hat and we now have the Bobbsey Twins.


And another TA-DA by Val.


Our evening is just full of laughter and fun and before we know it -- it's time for bed.  Off we go.


Day 5 brings departures as the first group of retreaters (those not staying the 10 days) start packing up to leave.  We have good-byes to say after Lydia and I feed them with a breakfast pizza or two.

The beach is much calmer today and the mosquitos seem to be gone.  Not the lovebugs though -- they are happily breeding away.  With 4 less people in the house and two more leaving tomorrow, it's quieting down.  Out to the deck we go.  Even the water seems calmer today.  Yay.


Thank you to everyone who made this first weekend a smashing success.  I love ya'll and hope to see you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment