Sunday, October 8, 2017

October Brazos Retreat - Our Witchy Quilt World

It's been almost 5 months since this wonderful view was mine.  Hello there, old friend.  It's so good to see you again.


The time has come for our October retreat entitled, "Our Witchy Quilt World."  With a late arrival, I arrive around 10:30 and start racing like crazy to get set up by noon when the ladies will begin walking through the door.  Luck is on my side and I make it just in time.  As soon as most of the participants are there, we are off to Babes for lunch.  Imagine our surprise when we discover that a table is already being held for us and occupied by Jennifer M. and Jennifer S.  What crazy fun is this?  They decided to drive down and have lunch with us.  I LOVE IT!




After lunch, an attempt is made to take a picture with Sherri, but, alas, apparently she can't open her eyes in bright sunlight (we weren't even looking at the sun).


And a photo bomb by Paula makes it even more entertaining.


All together - now let's go sew.


Sherri and I have decided to set up like we did in Temple last February.  We'll see how it goes.


And within no time -- design walls are in use.  I can't wait to see these come together.


A quick peek outside as I spot goats ---- yep, there are three of them.  Interesting.


The room is busy all day with various projects and I absolutely adore the variety of items and the creativity that go along with them.  I'm going to catch a few in progress, one with Brenda (who never seems to show us her TA-DA's) and  one with Darlene.  I'll follow this one closely as I can't wait to see the finished product.

I am working away on mystery blocks and therefore am unable to post any pictures at this time.  It's getting close to the reveal now and I want this sweetie finished.

The giggles abound everywhere and my heart is warmed by the love these ladies show for each other.  It's just so good to be back here again.

Sherri's beach block top is together -- TA-DA


Lana with Beads of Courage bags and a TA-DA by Leanne



Mindy has a TA-DA shortly after


And that's it for tonight.  We are just laughed out and actually calling it a night fairly early.  See ya tomorrow.


It's Day Two and Maria has joined us.  She is on a mission to achieve her Golden Scissors and wants me to verify that she is cutting her fabric here.  If I know her, it'll be finished before we can blink.

I think the challenges are just so cool.  She NEVER quilts on a domestic and so has put this off for awhile.  Today, her sweet little Featherweight will pull the duty.  I can't wait to watch it all come together.

Scenes from the room.



Some love it here so much, they attend even if they have to work while doing so.  Yay Val!!


I said I was going to follow this one --- it's looking oh so fun.


I've put the mystery away until I get home now after managing to get a long ways on it.  My next "must do" are slippers.  I need a pair to gift in just a few days and then four more pair right behind it.  Sew, girl, sew.  But first, glue, girl, glue.

We do two prepared meals at Brazos but some of the ladies want a little more so Janet has made an incredibly delicious vegetable beef soup.

A quick glance at my wrist reminds me that I need a heck of a lot of steps still today.  Time to go outside and see what's up but first, I grab a few treats for the chickens from the kitchen.  It only takes a moment and they come running to see what I have.  Yes, I missed them too.  Chickens are just so fun.


Now, down to the river outlook.  Wow, the river is super low.



AND, I discover that a new fire pit has been built.  I can't wait to try this out.


Okay, back to the room and a TA-DA by Lana --- these pumpkins warm my heart.  Should I????


My gluing is complete, as are all the insoles.  Making progress here.

Janet has put out a signup sheet for massages and it appears to have quite a few takers on it.  What a super neat thing for her to do.  She is offering neck/shoulders, hands, feet.  Hmmmmm.

Paula has been working on her Garlic Knot exchange blocks ever since she arrived and now has a TA-DA.  I'm thinking I should count them though, as her numbers changed over and over in the past 24 hours.


Maria's top is together and getting sandwiched.  Yes, we find any nook and cranny that we can for stuff like this.

As I walk around, I spot this fabric on Dori's table.  Oh, doesn't it just scream Meri Roo.  I sure think so.

Let the massages begin.  Then they are followed up by a TA-DA from Tracey.  Don't you just love little zippered bags?


Doris shares a bag TA-DA and I think I want to make this one.  (Of course, I have a blurry picture.)


Meanwhile, Sherri has been piecing 2 1/2" squares together into twosies for some crazy insanity quilt she is involved in.  She reached the end of her squares and want's to see how far her chain will go.  All right, I'm game.  She makes it all the way past the chicken coop before all the units are stretched out.  WOW.


TA-DA


A vibrant beauty of a TA-DA by Betsy.


AND that leads us to game night!   Woohoo.  I have been looking forward to this for months.  Let's see what these ladies have come up with.  First up -- Darlene and Ladonna  (Seriously, no idea this is Darlene)  Ladonna is Mother Nature and for the life of me, I can't remember what Darlene called herself.


Next are Janet and Doris - two types of "Sand" witches, Janet with sand from the beach and Doris with chicken feet and a bucket of sand.  Chicken Sand-witch.  Perfect.   The second picture is Gwen (self-proclaimed throw together witch) and Val - our Quilt Sand-witch.  Aren't all four just fantastic?


We are then followed by two more.  Brenda and Leanne --- I know one of them was "Confused Quilting Witch" (Brenda, I think) but I don't remember the second one.  GREAT mask though.  The next picture is of Tracey and Maria.  Tracey called herself the Purple Passion Witch and Maria is a knockoff of Bride of Frankenstein and a witch.  I want to look that great in hair like that.  Wow.


Lana and Sherri both signed on for this retreat with minimal time to prepare (Sherri had two days).  Lana is Ursula from The Little Mermaid --- WONDERFUL! and Sherri is Sherri.  My favorite part of her outfit is the Bigfork T-shirt.  Devil horns and ruby slippers top it off.  Paula and I are next.  Yes, that is Paula.  NO ONE knew who she was.  She's a crazy cool witch and I'm attempting to be Endora from Bewitched. 


The last two are Mindy and Betsy.  (Betsy is another one that no one could recognize.)  Mindy is the Witch Doctor and went around with labels that read SPELL.  She would put a SPELL on you.  So fun.  I don't think Betsy's witch had a name but I may have just forgotten it.


Before we start the games, a few rubies need to be awarded.  Congratulations to Paula, Leanne, and Gwen.  I can't believe we have three more Ruby Sisters.


AND, drumroll please, we have our first EMERALD.   Woot, woot --- Congratulations Val --- Even her glowing hair matches.



Yes, we are here to play games too.  LCR winners include Paula with the Fat Quarters, Doris and Brenda with the jelly rolls.


Immediately after the game, Maria has her TA-DA with her totally finished quilt.  Start to finish and GOLDEN SCISSORS are awarded.  It's such a great night for awards.


During the games, we voted on the costumes and here are your winners:  Most Original - Mindy, Overall Design - Paula, Scariest - Darlene, Most Theme Appropriate - Val, Is That Really A Costume- Sherri, Best 5 Minute Throw Together - Gwen, Cutest - Ladonna.  Charm and fat quarters packs went out to all the winners.

Now to settle in and get something accomplished.  By the time I am ready to call it a night, I have four pair of slippers almost finished.  They each need one more seam but my eyes are done for the day.  I think it's the make-up, but I'm feeling the burn.

Others are calling it a night at the same time (well at least Paula is - I have no idea if Val and Maria went to bed) so we do a good night picture.  It's been such a fun day.  Honest.


Saturday -- another day to sleep in a bit.  In fact, I am not even up when breakfast is called.  Hmmm -- what is up with that.  As I come into the room, I spot these little quilts that Sherri is making to go along with the sheets and mattresses for cradles that someone else in her church group builds.  Very cool.

As I walk around the room, I am on the lookout for the vintage ladies who have come to play this weekend.  Paula put her Featherweight away so I missed a picture of it but here are two 301's on the back table and the pod I am in is only lacking one spot or we'd all have the lovely vintage ladies.  I'm so hoping that next month, the house is full of them.


Ladonna has her TA-DA on this great raq quilt.


Sherri has four little zippered pouch TA-DA's.  I really need to learn how to make these. She is followed by Gwen with her TA-DA.  If you looked close at last nights final picture, we stole this for the backdrop.


Gwen has a second TA-DA as well.  She's been super quiet and busy, busy, busy.


Maria - TA-DA #2


And the massages continue.

Tracey offered to do a workshop is how to use recycled sarees and I jumped on it.  She has put together a great presentation as well as offering sarees for everyone.  How cool is this?

I have a purple one that is going to be used for a Red Hat outfit and then managed to purchase a couple of additional ones for some pillows for the house and another couple pair of pajama pants.  I think the fabric is simply divine.  The enthusiasm in the room was fun to watch.  It started really quiet and then soon I heard, "Ooooh, I can do THIS or Ahhhh, what about THIS."  So much fun to watch the wheels turn.


Maria and Sherri are up for a walk to the river so I decide to go along and get some steps in.  While we are walking down the trail, look at these cool berries we spot.  Oh so pretty.



As I said, the river is super low and very easy to reach.  Maria moves into rockhound mode while Sherri has planned a little sit down in the water.



As I make my departure, they are both out of the water and REALLY into the rocks.  Have fun ladies.


Up at the house, it's another TA-DA time for Mindy.  The Asian fabrics in this just make my heart sing.  I'll have to try something similar someday.  Way out there some day.


Paula's rag quilt flag is coming along.  All she needs is the star.


Just before dinner, it's time for the group picture.  We are late today and have lost the light, so back into the library we go.  I cannot tell you how much these incredible women mean to me.  To have them in my life just goes beyond words but I thank ya'll from the bottom of my heart.  Back row:  Yours truly, Leanne, Lana, Maria, Brenda, Val, Sherri, Mindy, Betsy  Front row:  Ladonna, Janet, Tracey, Darlene, Gwen, Paula, and Doris.


Oh, let's not forget our Newbie.  Welcome Betsy.  We absolutely love having you here and can't wait to see you again.


Tracey's TA-DA


Ladonna with her woolie TA-DA


Val - turned her costume into a TA-DA to gift.  What a great idea.


I have been working on slippers all day and this makes the second day in a row.  It's time for some fun.  Leanne brought a bottle of Goldschlager and I have located our shot glasses.  Drink anyone?


And CHEERS!!!


Oh my --- TA-DA from me --- four pair are finished.


Many times what happens at retreat stays at retreat.  Tonight is one of those moments but I will tell you that I haven't laughed this hard in years, if ever.  Cathartic doesn't even begin to describe the evening.  I will always have this memory with Lana, Val, Leanne, Maria, and Sherri.  I love ya ladies.


And good night from Brazos -- on our final night.  So, so, so much fun.  My belly actually hurts from laughing so hard.


It's Sunday and that means I am just moving around the room slowly breaking it down.  We had three people leave last night and many others packed up to just do hand work today.  Maria's hat making at the beach has a following and the yarn is flowing today as she teaches the technique.  I'm betting I will see even more of this next month - not to mention next year's beach retreat.  What great projects to work on while visiting.  Perfect.

Hat TA-DA by Mindy  (second blurry picture and I only had two total.  ugh.)


Well, that's it.  Another retreat is behind us.  Sherri and I have finished everything up and are on the road as well.  It's just past 12:30.  That is a record for leaving here.  Why did this weekend go so fast?  Bring on November, but first --- we are meeting up in Houston for festival.  See ya then.


3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I would love to join you ladies. Where do most of y'all live? I am in Bryan
    Thanks, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. The retreats are a blast Joyce. We'd love to have you join us at any time. We live all over Texas and beyond. If you are a member of the Our Quilt World Facebook page, we post openings whenever they come up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the pattern for the blue crab in Sherri's Beach Quilt available? I love that .

    ReplyDelete