Friday, October 27, 2017

A Day At The Beach - Clue 9 - Finale


WOW!!!!!  WE have made it to the end.  Together!!!  I hope you have had a great time and that you are just one to two afternoons from being ready to quilt this beauty.  Well, at least I think she is a beauty.

I'd love to tell you not to scroll to the end, but I know you've already been there.  I'll even bet you didn't pay much attention along the way so, PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END before starting this last clue.

I would REALLY like to see your finished tops/quilts.  Please email me at mystery@dhayter.com and attach the pictures.  I'll share them on the blog.



Okay, let's get going.

Cutting:

That's right --- we're not quite finished cutting.  I had to leave a few unknowns for the very end, didn't I?

Using Color 2 (coral) - cut NINE 2" WOF Strips   I bet you were wondering why you have this.
Using Color 4 (med. blue) - cut TWO - 1 1/2" x 9 1/2" strips AND TWO 1 1/2" x 11 1/2" strips.
Using Color 5 (dk blue) - cut FOUR - 1 1/2" squares.  Oooh, exhausting isn't it?
Using Color 6 (toasty neutral) - cut FOUR - 3" squares


Unit 18 - Make 4 -  Gather the following pieces in addition to the squares you just cut:  A:  4 - 2" Color 3 (lt. blue) squares, B:  4 Color 3/5 (lt. blue/dk. blue) Strips - square, modified flying geese, square C:  4 modified flying geese Color3/5 (lt. blue/dk. blue)  D:  4 Unit 8's   E:  4 Unit 9's


Start by sewing a 2" Color 3 square to each of the modified flying geese




Sew one of the 1 1/2" Color 5 (dk. blue) squares to each Unit 8 as shown




Sew a Unit 9 to each of the 3" Color 6 (toasty neutral) squares as shown



Now add the Unit 8/1 1/2" square small section to this newly created section as shown.  You MUST have a Color 5 (dk. blue) larger triangle in the upper right square now.  Repeat for all four.




On the right side, add the modified flying geese/Color 3 (lt. blue) square section as shown.  Repeat for all four.



One more piece and your corner block is complete.  To the left side, add the 2" square/modified flying geese/2" square to each section as shown"



Make sure you are 5 1/2" square


And your corner units are complete.


Attach one to each end of TWO of the strips you created in Clue 7.  Two will NOT be added to.


And, if you're like me, hang them on the bird feeder so they are out of the way.


Next, you will need the Big Block A's that you created last week.  We will be using SIX of them in this part.  Lay out as shown with the Block A in upper right corner.  One final check to make sure you have all of your center blocks going the right way.


Stitch into two strips of 3 Big Block A's each.


It's time to make the center medallion.  Of course there is a center medallion.  It's what I do.

Locate your Block B and the Color 4 (med. blue) strips you cut earlier.


Using a 1/4" seam, sew the shorter strips ( 1 1/2" x 9 1/2") to opposite sides of the block.


Repeat with the other two opposite sides and the longer strips ( 1 1/2" x 11 1/2").  Find the center of each side and mark it.


Goodness.  It's time to use those 9" Color 6 (toasty neutral) squares from waaaaaay back.


Each one needs to be cut in half on the diagonal.  If you did strings, make sure to cut ACROSS the stings, not going with them.


You should now have 4 triangles.


Find the center of the long edge on each of them and matching centers, lay two of the triangles as shown.  Stitch using a 1/4" seam.


Press with seams towards the inner border.


Repeat with the last two triangles on the remaining two sides as shown:


Stitch using a 1/4" seam and again, press to the inner border.


Trim square, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around.  I am not more specific here as we all sew differently and strings react different with each person as well.  What you would ideally LOVE here is a 16 1/2" square.  I made two DIFFERENT center medallions and each time, mine came out 15 1/2" square.  What to do, what to do?


I cut strips of my Color 1 (lt. green) and cut them 1".  If you need more width, cut them wider.  You can ALWAYS trim to 16 1/2".

Using the exact same process as previously with the Color 4 (med. blue) strips, attach the Color 1 (or any color you choose) strips to border your block.

You have free reign here and if you didn't string, it is likely you won't need a border here at all.  I am not promising this though.


After trimming mine down to 16 1/2", I can now move on.

For the next part, you will need the 4 - 4 1/2" Color 6 (neutral) squares from Clue 1.  These should be sewn diagonally if you did strings.  You will also need the 16 Unit 3's that you have been holding onto for forever.

Here is your layout:


Lay each strip out  so that you can sew them together.


I sewed mine in a web with two longer sections.  AND, it's obvious that I just grabbed and went.  I'll be honest and tell you that I have given up on trying to keep one fabric away from another of the same.  It's a lost cause.


Lay the shorter strips on the sides and stitch in a 1/4" seam.


Add the top and bottom rows.


Whew --- now you should still have two remaining Big Block A's.  It's time to add them to each side of our center medallion as shown:


Stitch each side, using a 1/4" seam.


You are so super close to having the center of your quilt finished.  Lay one of the larger strips that you made earlier above the center stip and one below it.


Two seams and you have a CENTER!!! Woot, woot.  That means you only have EIGHT more seams on this top.


But first --- a few small seams.  Sew your 2" Color 2 (coral) strips together, end to end.  I use a straight seam, but if you prefer a bias seam on your border, there is enough yardage to do so.


Press and your inner border is ready to go.


I have explained how I do borders before so will not go into that here.  If you want to see the method I was taught by Bonnie Hunter, here is a link from a previous mystery:  Chasing the Sun Borders.


The final step is to add the pieced borders.  Mine fit perfectly and I actually did a happy dance.  Oh happy day!!!  Life is good and I LOVE how this turned out.  It IS my picture of A Day at the Beach.  Aren't the borders just grand?


So what's left?  Well, I have a back to make and am using a panel as well as all the prototype blocks I created while drafting this pattern.  (Some went into the label as well.)



And on days like this, I need all the room I can get.  That means laying out on the lawn AND taking the big board outside.


On the frame for quilting.


Now for some binding and a label.  Sooooo close now.  Isn't this binding just divine?  I can't wait to see it in place.  I'm still considering a flange in the light (almost white) fabric I used.  Not sure yet though.


And TA-DA!!!!  Presenting A Day at the Beach  - I'll add an upright picture when I return from my trip to Montana, but that won't likely be until after this posts.  For now, this is what you get.

Front Upright


On the ground


And back upright


On the ground


Words cannot express how much fun I have had doing this and I hope you have as well.  Thank you for going on this journey with me and I hope to see you again sometime.

Until then, Keep on Creatin' --- Deb



10 comments:

  1. Deb: Just wanted to say your designs never disappoint. I absolutely love this one. I was supposed to do housework today and then I saw that this was the finish. I have stayed current with all the clues so I could probably manage to finish the top today. So, so tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma - Thank you so very much. I can't wait to see yours. Please send me a picture so that I can drool all over it. I still want to see your Chasing the Sun too. Oh --- and the heck with housework -- go for it.

      Delete
    2. Deb, I was so excited about the way last weeks clue came together I tried to send you a picture and couldn't figure out how to post it. Which platform do you use for pictures?

      Delete
    3. Emma --- you need to send it to me through email to mystery@dhayter.com OR post it in the Facebook group Our Quilt World. We'd love to have you involved with us. If you choose email, I will post it on the blog.

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful- You have now convinced me to try HARD to hogtie my OCD to do the string pieces (I AM going to conquer this!). You are such a talented lady and so sharing. I am going to make it one of your retreats in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bobbie. You can do it --- just go for lots of tone on tones or tiny prints. I can't wait to see it. Oh we would love to have you at a retreat. Can't wait to meet you.

      Delete
  3. A true Masterpiece indeed Deb. Great design, and beautiful sewing and quilting. You are still my hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Pat. I am so happy you like it.

      Delete