Friday, September 30, 2016

September Quilt Update

Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

I have moved the previous posts to the end of the entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

A QUICK NOTE:  I have created a new group for those of you wishing to participate in the Chasing the Sun Mystery which started the 27th of August.  It is NOT too late to join in.   The group can be located by clicking on this FACEBOOK LINK and all information for the mystery will be located in this blog by clicking the Chasing the Sun tab at the top of the page.  I hope you will all join in.  The more the merrier.

Goals:  I am no longer even attempting to comment on those that were not touched.  They'll just stay on the list until they are achieved, even though life jumps in front of them now and then.

Easy Street (ES) - quilted, bound -
Old Tobacco Road (OTR)  - Clues 4, 5 - 
Allietare (A) - Clue 6 sewn, back, label, binding, quilted, bound - All but bound
Round Robin - last one delivered - YES
Roll Roll Cotton Boll - quilted and bound -  
New baby Afghan crocheted and delivered - YES
Chasing the Sun (CTS)  - scrappy quilted and bound -  

1st -  Hello September!  Ooooh I am so excited as we are entering my absolute favorite time of year.  FALL!!!!!   The colors, the temperatures, the overall peacefulness of this season just makes my heart oh so happy.  How about you?  I want to soak up every minute of it ---- allow every fiber of my being to embrace the glory of Autumn.  Try it yourself.  It's pretty amazing.  So to start this wonderful season, I am still in Utah and crocheting like crazy.   I know, I know.  This is a quilting blog.  What can I say?  I actually love various fiber art activities.  Right now, my fingers are flying through the yarn attempting to complete Ava's afghan before her blessing in three days.  I do have to admit that I am really loving this project.  It has tested my capabilities and yet allowed me to do a bit of growing in this genre.  The little engine is in full force --- I think I can, I think I can . . .

2nd - Guess what?  I have managed to finish the afghan for Ava.  I KNOW -- shocking huh?  However, it is true and the biggest shocker of all is that I absolutely love it.  Seriously.  It may just be my favorite crochet project of all time.  Well --- there was the afghan I did for my grandson, Ryan's, birth too --- could be a toss up.  Either way.  It's lovely.  What do you think?




To celebrate the finish --- Ophelia and I are off to the backyard to play.  Yes, even though it is September, she wants to play in the pool and well --- seriously --- why bother with clothes or swimsuits?  I mean, really, what is the fuss all about?  I want her freedom.

3rd -  Cassie (my daughter) wants to make a bow for Ava before the blessing tomorrow.  She has some fabric left from making the blessing dress and even though this is something I have not attempted before --- how hard can it be?  We set about it during nap time and dang if we don't do a very good job.  I am oh so pleased.


4th -  Today is the culmination of my visit to Utah.  Miss Ava Leigh is being blessed and what a fun day it is.  Family everywhere and my sweet granddaughter in my arms most of the day.  I truly am a happy grandmother today.  Oh, cuddle, cuddle, cuddle.  I have to leave tomorrow and gotta get these moments in as much as I can before they are lost forever.  Okay -- now don't be too jealous but I honestly have just the most beautiful progeny every.


For those of you who don't know.  I made this blessing quilt 17 years ago when my first granddaughter was born.  Every granddaughter since has had her name embroidered on it and it has been used for each blessing that took place.  It is truly becoming something treasured by all.  I have six granddaughters and we still have room for more names.  Hmmm -- who will use it next?

5th -  It's up, up, and away today.  With an early morning flight, I am heading home to my sweet Mister.  The nice thing about an early morning flight is that I am home before noon.  Yep.  We have enough day still to head to the lake for a walk and also enjoy the "end of season" gin and tonics.  That's right.  Time to retire this drink and enter martini season.  I'm thinking "chocolate" but I'm sure Mister would prefer just a lovely "shaken, not stirred."

6th -  Well, I think we are going to try and take a trip next month so that means I really need to get my passport renewed.  Ugh.  I have let it lapse and therefore NOTHING is easy today.  Seriously --- does the government have to make everything so difficult all the time?  Triple ugh.  The only good thing to take place is that Mister does my photo and I gotta admit -- it's not half bad.  My ENTIRE day is spent doing bookwork.  Can you say unhappy?

7th -  Where on earth has this past week gone?  Oh my goodness.  I leave for 10 days of quilt retreat at the beach on the 9th.  Do you think I should consider preparation?  It's definitely crossing my mind today and as a result I am attempting to stage my exit.  The hall has become the packing spot.  Hmmmm.  I wonder just how much room Lydia (my ride) has in her van.  We could be in trouble since I've only just begun (do you hear a song there?)

After packing for quite awhile, it becomes blatantly obvious to me that it will not totally be accomplished today nor do I wish to continue working on it anymore.  I really need to have an entire set of supplies constantly packed and just ready to go.  Hello lottery ticket --- will you help me?

While I was in Utah, I started a UFO embroidery project once the afghan was finished.  It makes total sense for me to shut down the packing process and sit and stitch for awhile.  Yes, total sanity going on here today.  Is there a message in this for me somewhere?


Once Mister returns home from work, I inform him that I wish to shop for clothes.  Oh yes --- everyone can join him in the shocked look he gave me.  I HATE shopping for clothes but today I would like to pick up a couple pair of shorts for the beach and there is always that possibility that since it's the first of September --- clearance sales could exist.  Fingers crossed and off I go to Penney's.  Yes, I AM that old.  Ooh, guess what?  I score big time and walk out with 4 pair of shorts and about 8 tops for less that $140.  Gotta tell ya -- I'm pretty happy.  I'm also apparently into orange right now.

One last task before calling it a day.  I need to get my gifts for both beach retreats ready to go.  Yes --- now to try for some sleep.

8th -  Today's task, should I choose to accept, is to determine the projects to work on at retreat.  Now, of course, that means I should try and get the Christmas shams prepped so that I can finish them there.  First task --- patterns drawn.  Check.  Now cut them out and find fabrics for each piece.  Yes, I am leaving tomorrow.

Okay, everything is drawn and matched up.  Now to iron the shapes on and cut them out.  Then it's just a matter of ironing them in place and appliqueing everything onto the background fabric.  Right?  Okay -- the task is accomplished and What the What?  The day is almost gone.  There is no way on earth that I will get the sewing finished to take this with me.  What was I thinking?  Oh well --- another day for this task.  Now, back to packing.

I plan on doing some baking while at the beach so first up is to pack the supplies for cinnamon rolls, German pancakes, and open-face eclairs into boxes.  Oh yay!  Those wonderful boxes that Allison and I picked up at United Notions get a chance to play.


9th -  I am awake before the first sign of light.  Lydia will be here around 9 and I have not finished packing.  I couldn't sleep last night so at 11 I decided to go to the store and pick up the non-perishables that she and I are responsible for.  Yes, I am THAT crazy when I have something in my head and therefore cannot close my eyes.  Once that was finished, sleep became possible.  NOW, I am rapidly finishing up before she arrives.  In addition to my crazy hallway of items (which has increased), I now have a bedroom and front porch filling up.  Oh my.

Lydia has arrived and once the car is loaded.  We are outta here.  Look out Surfside, here we come.


Our trip is wonderful and we have a great time chatting about just about everything.  Yes, we have indeed solved all the world's problems and if  you just want to write our names in on the ballots in November, I'm pretty sure we are just as good as the choices we have now.

We arrive at the beach and the remainder of the day is spent organizing and setting up for the BEST retreat ever.  I am back in the corner I had last year and Lydia has taken up her same residency as well.  Bring it on ladies.  We are ready.  Oh, perhaps some dinner first.  to read all about the first weekend please click on this Beach 1 LINK.

10th -  As I am giving you the links to read all about our retreat in another post, I am just going to highlight a wee bit in here for the next 10 days.  The first thing I do today is wake bright and early JUST to see the sunrise.  Yes, I am Chasing the Sun at all times and have discovered just how truly happy it makes me to do so.  I believe the ocean grounds us.  Honest.  Test it if you don't believe me.


During an evening walk all the elements come together and magically Debi and I get a picture that I actually love.


 One of the projects I have brought along is my Allietare parts and pieces.  I managed to create one of each block last year when the reveal was announced and I have not looked at it again since.  Bonnie Hunter's new mystery will release colors next month and that means it is time to finish this one.  Settling in, I just quietly (yes, I am quietly sewing away) tackle the additional 48 blocks.  These colors are just so fun for me.

Once the blocks are finished, I take the leftovers and put together some "new" blocks out of the leftover units.  I kinds like these crown ones and they will find a home on the back.  After the blocks are finished, it's time to make the setting "triangles".  They are a bit different, but go together easy and I am even able to make another "block" for the back out of the remainders here too.
Yes, it's way after midnight when I finish, but when you've got your stride going, it's hard to shut down.


Earlier in the day, we took a swim and I want to leave you this evening with a pretty cool picture taken from the water.  See ya tomorrow.  (We are the turquoise house.)


11th -  It's another day at the beach.  Did I really just say that?  I feel as though it should be capitalized.  How lucky am I?  Throughout the day today, I have decided to work on my Garden Party blocks.  There are a ton of them and I guess this is as good a place as any to start making sense of them.  Again, these have not been touched since started.  Oh, that was January 2015.  Yes, you read that right.  Nothing in this layout is new.  Perhaps I can make it a wee bit bigger while here.


I decide to take a walk after dinner and put my photography lessons from Mister to work a bit.  Thankfully, nature obliges and gives me an incredible sunset to work with.


12th -  Swimming is part of the reason we come here.  I mean, seriously, why go to the beach and not partake of it's wonders?  The water is amazing and we have so much fun just bob, bob, bobbing along.  I think Debi, Marcia, Theresa and who knows who else manage to spend about 4 hours in the water.  Yes, I told you it was amazing.  It's very hard to get out as it's warm and easy to stand up.  Even though you only see heads, they are either on their knees or just standing.  It truly is THAT shallow.

The first group of retreaters leave tomorrow and we have had such fun together.  Somehow I lost my mind a few weeks ago and said that I would make cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow.  It is now after 8 at night and perhaps I should get it in gear.  Once I have all four batches of dough rising, I set to creating an area in which to roll these out.  Yes, that's right.  In all my amazing preparedness --- no rolling pin or pastry mat.  The counter top here is tile so that's out.  Now what?  Oh wait --- Glenda brought an extra cutting mat to donate.  It'll pass as a pastry mat.  A bottle of Pimms works as a rolling pin and there doesn't appear to be a shortage of thread to cut the rolls with.  I am set.  Smell that yeast?


13th -  It's tweener time and you can find the post about it HERE.  I am taking advantage of this time to set my Allietare.  Looky, looky!!!  What do you think?


14th -  Today's task is to get the borders on so that others can once again walk through the house.  Yes, it's true.  I am taking up the entire floor space.  First the inner borders.


Oh Squirrel!  Perhaps I need to stop and lay out the back.  Of course that means I need to sew it together as well.


After dinner, I head out to the kitchen once again.  Open-face eclairs for dessert for my tweeners.  When I had these at Cassie's, while in Utah at the beginning of the month, I KNEW they needed to be made here too.

Okay, Okay.  I get it.  People want to walk through the house and I still have a top laying around.  Black borders ON.


Drat, the back is not big enough.  A wee bit more and it is now ready too.  Did I REALLY put one section on upside down?  Grrrr.


15th - Shall I sew first thing before getting ready for round two?  Oh wait --- it's back to the kitchen for me.  I have a birthday girl arriving today in the second beach session.  However, FIRST we need breakfast.  That means German pancakes.  Yep, gotta share the love one last time with my tweeners.

Once breakfast is behind me, I focus on the Italian Cream Cake that my birthday girl requested last year for her birthday.  I was naughty a year ago and am determined not to leave someone wishing for their favorite birthday treat again this year.  I CAN be taught.  I've never made this cake before so why not try something new while at the beach.  Makes perfect sense to me.


Now, what's left for Allietare?  I know - label and binding.  Yep.  Quick Deb -- knock those out and put this in the "to be quilted" stack.  Bias binding is not my friend but, woot woot it's in the finished column.  Once I finish the happy dance -- it's time to again focus on Garden Party.  The blocks start coming together quick out of the parts and pieces that are already made.  Is there a possibility that I can make progress on this?

16th -  With a full house once again, you can read all about session two HERE.  As is becoming habit. I am up and enjoying the incredible sunrise that is offered here on a daily basis.  Who would have ever thought that this could be seen daily.  Perhaps those who crawl out of bed early each and every day.  Do I need to rethink my sleeping patterns at home?  I'm thinking, yes.


We are working on Beads of Courage bags today and I am enlisted to once again help with the demo.  Trouble is that this time there are pictures.  Oh yeah, Vanna has nothing on me.  As for sewing --- hmmm -- pretty sure I'm AWOL today.

17th -  Okay, okay.  If I just devote myself to sewing today, perhaps I can accomplish something AND be happy all at once.  Is that possible?  Let's try, okay.  My little Garden Party blocks are once again center stage.  I am determined to get all the purple/white blocks finished.  Can it be done?

I have taken over the side of a sofa nearby and my strips are laying over the arm of it.  Color, color everywhere.  This could even be the banner on a batik quilting site.  I LOVE these colors and my heart is happy just looking at them.  What happened to the gal who loved the earth tones?  Somewhere along the way -- brights came into play with me as well.

I get a few more blocks finished and have now run out of purple.  Drat.  I do not have all the blocks finished but my bubble has been burst and I can no longer hide in purple/white land.  Sigh,

18th -  OMG.  Tomorrow is the day we head home.  Ten days already?  I have determined to pack up and settle in for the evening with handwork.  My brain likes this plan thus Lydia and I have our van packed before dinner and the work is now behind us.  I gotta tell ya --- I feel like we were super smart.  Time will tell.

My evening project is to work on the embroidery project while sitting on the sofa visiting.  It's a wonderful plan and goes off without a hitch.

19th -  Okay another song comes to mind this morning.  Move It, Move It.  We've got to move it, move it in order to be out of the house by 10 a.m.  It does NOT help that it is hot and muggy outside today.  We arrived with that weather and it has returned to say good-bye to us.  Drat.  With a quick farewell shot, see ya later Surfside.  We will be back.


Lydia and I make a pit stop on the way home to check out Big Sam (Houston) who is receiving a bath and new paint today.  You seriously do not realize how big he is unless to you walk up to him.  We arrive at my house, unload and say our "until November good-byes."  What a great time we had and I loved the drives as well as being together as roomies.  Thank you so much, Lydia, for all the support and love you showed over the past 10 days.

20th -  I am worthless.  It's kind of  recurring theme after retreat.  Hello Gilmore Girls.

21st - Get out of the chair Deb.  You can do it.  Just lift that backside up and put one foot in front of the other.  Okay, try it again.  And again.  Hmmm.

After finally managing to escape the chair AND Netflix, my task is to put everything away that I dumped into the house two days ago.  Additionally, I have to set up the living room for a sew day tomorrow.  Oh yes, I can hear you thinking and  you are right.  Without the sew day tomorrow, it's very likely these items would become permanent hallway residents.

22nd -  After 10 days at the beach, I have dearly missed my bestie, Allison.  She is arriving this morning for TWO days together.  Whoop, whoop.  I'm set up and ready by 8.  To read all about our amazing time, please click on this LINK.

23rd -  It's day two of our sleepover fun.  If you clicked the link above, you already know how it goes.  If you didn't, well perhaps you should now.  All I will say is, what a GREAT time, my Allietare went home with Allison to be quilted,  and I am now out for date night with my sweetie.  Can you guess the location?  I think it is called the Truckyard.


24th -  I could be on a roll with MCM.  I mean, it is actually time to set and all I have to do is cut out sashings and cornerstones.  Big ones.  With that accomplished in mere minutes, I start the webbing process and soon have a top that I can lay in the yard and get a peek at.  Do I like it yet?  Still not sure but the rest of the day belongs to Mister.  See ya later.


25th -  I didn't even turn my laptop on today.  I have NO IDEA where the day went or what I did.  I don't even have a picture for reference.  Can anyone help me here?  I may have taken a nap.  Perhaps I just spent the day with my sweetheart.  Oh wait, I did.  AND the nap was together.  Ahhhh.

26th -  I have been working on beach pictures ALL DAY today.  Somewhere in there the doorbell rings and I go to see what is there.  Oh yay, the supplies I need for my classes at the end of the week have arrived.  I ordered from Amazon a couple days ago and I now have three BIG boxes.

Would you like to see what required THREE boxes?  Three BIG boxes?  And then we wonder why things are so crazy expensive.  Yep, you are seeing clearly.  A couple of rulers (5), some pins, and a sheet of template plastic.  Insanity.  Now back to my pictures.


27th -  Day two of picture developing.  Who took all these pictures?  I am determined to have them all posted in the group today.  Goodness.

28th -  It's an extra day with friends.  I didn't have this one on my calendar but Mister helped make it possible by working from home.  Valerie has invited Allison and I for the day and you can catch up with all of our fun in this POST.

29th - Today is day one of two at Fabric Fanatics in Plano.  I am taking a couple of Judy Niemeyer classes taught by Eileen Urbanek.  Miss Allison is with me and if you wish to keep up with us, please click on this LINK.


30th - Day two at Fabric Fanatics and it has started with the most wonderful sunrise.  LOVE


Elisabeth has joined us today and our merry threesome is having a blast.  If you clicked the link on yesterday, you know all of what we got up to.


It's been another whirlwind month.  Wow.  I am simply amazed at how fast it went by.  At any rate, thanks for checking in with me again this month.  I appreciate it more than you know.  Are you Chasing the Sun?  I sure hope so.  You can find the tab for it at the top of the blog.  Please come play.  See ya in October.  Check back in now and then and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I appreciate all of you who read each month.


No comments:

Post a Comment