Thursday, June 30, 2016

June Quilt Update

 Any links that you click in this post will open in a DIFFERENT window, allowing you to continue reading this without losing the page.

I have moved the previous posts to the end of the entry.  I hope that you make it that far.

Goals:  I am no longer even attempting to comment on those that were not touched.  They'll just stay on the list until they are achieved, even though life jumps in front of them now and then.

Easy Street (ES) - quilted, bound -
Old Tobacco Road (OTR)  - Clues 4, 5 - working on borders as leader/enders
Allietare (A) - Clue 6 sewn, back, label, binding, quilted, bound -
Double Delight (DD) - quilted and bound -
Row Robin #2 - quilted and bound - Quilted, just need to bind
Round Robin (3) - mailed - YES
Round Robin (4) - finished and mailed - YES
Bargello - quilted and bound - loaded on frame for quilting
Roll Roll Cotton Boll - Clues 7-8
Periwinkle River - quilted, bound, and mailed - YES, with a pillow sham to boot
New baby quilt - - quilted and bound YES
Chasing the Sun - dang - can't tell anything about this one Shhhhhh.

1st -  Summer camp sessions are in full swing leaving me with minimal time sewing.  Today, however, will be an exception as little girls are sewing up a storm with me.  To read the fun story AND see the videos, please click   HERE.  (BAD lighting in these pictures.  sigh)

2nd -  It's a little girl kind of day.  We decide to put those aprons to use and bake some cookies.  It helps the mood with the fact that it is raining out.  Perfect cookie weather.  Hmmm --- chocolate chip anyone?




After Grandpa get home, we have a break in the weather and head down to see the dam.  Guess what?  The weather DOES NOT hold and we are absolutely soaked by the time we get to the car.  Even with umbrellas, it's hard to stay dry with horizontal rain.

3rd - It's a bus/train/trolley day.  Museums and parks are the agenda.  Time at the Dallas Museum of Art is always wonderful as is "letting off steam" at a playground.


4th -  Earlier this week, Jen put out a HELP to work on her final project for one of her Master's classes.  It focuses on Tesla and she wanted to make a quilt as her final presentation.  I posted a quick HELP as well, with Valerie and Allison responding and showing up bright and early today to see if we could get this project whipped out in one day.  It is a Quilt As You Go and the squares are already complete.  WE just have to sash and border this thing.  Yes, it's a wee bit like a sweat shop in here.  Top it all off with the fact that Grandpa is entertaining four grandchildren.  Yep, it's a busy house.


Midway, Jen takes a peek and is liking it.  Yay.  We still have such a long way to go at this point but Success does take place.  You can read all about our day AND see the finished quilt HERE.  As soon as people are out of the house, Grandpa and I take the kids swimming while Jen puts the binding on and then return home to hold a Chopped competition.  Yes, we are just that cool of grandparents.  (Mister finished the video and you can access it with THIS CHOPPED LINK.)

5th -  It's a fly day for me and we are at the airport oh so early.  My littles are still very tired and I am soaking up each moment with them.  I have a quick turnaround in Denver and am back home by noon - right into the next camp session.  I have gone from two little girls to one very tall 15 year old grandson.  There will surely be a change in pace ahead.

When I return home, Jon wants to go to the skating rink and I oblige since it means I can just sit and watch.  I was up dang late helping Jen and have had two flights already today.  Let's go.  We arrive just as it is opening so he pretty much has the rink to himself for awhile.  Nice.

During the summer, crafty moments are a bit harder to find time for, but while sitting at the roller skating rink, I do manage to get a start on "no name new baby's" afghan.  Yep that is likely totally written wrong.


6th - The house is incredibly quiet early this morning so I happily skip back to the studio and throw intimidation to the wind as I get started on Ophelia's quilt.  Her birthday is rapidly approaching and this NEEDS to get done.

It goes oh so quick and in no time I have a quilt ready for binding.  It takes a wee bit of understanding my own capabilities in doing this one.  Once I recognize that I can't stitch a straight line on my midarm, wavy lines become the standard and I truly like the way it turns out.


Here's a closer look.  Binding goes on super fast and that is my late night project.  What a great way to end any day.  Love, love, love binding.

7th - Ophelia's quilt is finished and her birthday is on the 10th.  I SHOULD mail today, right?  I mean, seriously, what am I thinking?  I'm thinking it needs a sham too.  Off to the studio I go EARLY in the morning while sleepy grandson snores away.  I have enough scraps from the top that I put together two more blocks in no time and then most of my time is used in calculating how big to make it so that it fits a pillow right.  That's as far as I get before I am off to spend time with Jon.  Nothing will be mailed today.

8th -  Another early morning in the studio nets me a lovely sham to match the quilt.  Oh goodness, I need to get a move on and get these boxed up along with her dress/hat/bag that I made last month.  Will it make it in time?  Fingers crossed.

JULIE KELLER EDWARDS DO NOT READ PAST THIS UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR SURPRISE RUINED.

Once back from the post office, Jon wants to spend the day baking and cooking.  Perfect.  First up is cinnamon rolls and then we start in on a Lemongrass shrimp with mango rice that is absolutely to die for.  Great job Jon.  You can get the recipe in THIS POST.

9th - Okay, I've managed to get one deadline out the door but still have one MISSED and gnawing at me.  My Round Robin was due out the door on the 1st and my biggest pet peeve is being late on ANYTHING.  Well, except this blog as that seems to be the norm.

I have had this pinned and ready to go for quite awhile but, again, have been so intimidated by it.  It's time to just put up or shut up.

It really seems so simple when I explain it to people, but scares the know you what out of me.  Awwww -- yes -- truly I am that scared.  However, I just start in and before I know it, another trip to the post office is required today.  Oh it feels sooooo good.


While I am sewing, I am tossing OLD pins that need to be removed from service onto this wonderful magnet that I was given as a gift for my birthday.  One pin decides that it is not going to take this retirement laying down.  Omen?  Promise?  I'm not sure what to think here.

10th -   Mister has found a new sewing machine for us to pick up.  We make a quick trip up to Wylie and return back towards Dallas with a "new to me" Singer 404.  That is the last of the 400 series that I want and the suitcase it comes in is pretty interesting as well.  We stop at the radio control car place on the way home for some fun and then it's back to the kitchen to prepare a yummy salmon dish.  You can find it and the recipe/directions RIGHT HERE.  After dinner, Grandpa suggests an auction and we take him up on it, with a sweet little bench making the return trip home.  Fun -- Just a little tightening and a cushion recover before she will be put right into use with one of my cabinets.


11th - Our time with Jon has come to an end and we are switching for another grandson somewhere between here and Abilene.  After meeting up with Jen and gaining Jared, we decide to stop in Weatherford to see what's up there.  Antiques and garage sales galore!  what fun.  Yes, a few treasures are found that will get passed onto someone else.  Please take teh time to click on this LINK to see all the wonderful eye candy I found while there.  Quilts, machines, gadgets, etc.  What a true antiquer's delight of a day.

12th - Jared wants a "chill" day at home and I am more than happy to oblige.  I am TERRIBLY far behind on blogs so spend a ton of time right here, keeping right on typing while Jared and Grandpa head off to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  No, I have absolutely no desire to see it with them.  Go boys, go.

13th - Jared also wishes to do some baking so today we are making both cinnamon rolls and "homemade" brownies.  I say it in quotes cos Jared expected a box and today we are trying a new recipe I found.  (Which Mister later declared as "So Much Better".  He laughs himself silly while punching down the dough.  Yep, boys will find fun in the kitchen.  Our afternoon is spent watching a movie and the power goes out with about 15 minutes left.  Battery backups are wonderful but we have to run for a speaker that connects to the laptop without power.  Success.  It's been a fun day and we are off to pizza tonight with Grandpa.

14th - I guess it's time to get up and have a fun day outside the walls of our house.  We catch the train down to the zoo for a wonderful morning together.  Jared loves the birds so we always make a point to stop and see if they want to be with him today.  Yep, the feeling is mutual -- even after the staff indicated that the birds were not interacting today.  For some reason, Jared is the bird whisperer.  Yes, treats help, but others had then and were not having any luck.

After the zoo and the building heat wear us out, it's back to the house for a requested movie.  We have Wreck It Ralph and I have never watched it.  Jared says it is a must, so we snuggle up on the sofa to watch together while Grandpa works in the office.  My evening is again spent here, typing away but I do catch Jared all tucked in UNDER the hand quilt frame reading.  YES, reading -- doesn't that just make your heart happy?

 15th -  These older boys do love to sleep in so while he snores away, I managed to load "no name new baby's" quilt earlier in the week with a few stolen moments and this morning I am going to go out and once again tackle something new.  I want to freehand scallops on this one.  Yes, I can hear the laughing already but I am going to give it a try.  


Okay, they are not terrible and it's just a baby quilt, so two hours later I am putting binding on and this baby is almost finished.  I'm getting closer to baby time and projects still loom.  Jared wants to go to Jump Street and I usually sit and watch while there --- what better time to get this bound?  I know of none.  Off we go and when we leave, I have a finished quilt ready to write on the label and send.  Woot Woot.  Two finishes this month -- I am cruising.

16th -  Sneaking off to the studio while sleep takes place in the house, I am determined to get the Row Robin #2 loaded onto the machine.  I so want to keep moving forward on this stack of completed tops.


It's soon on and ready for action.  I'm not sure just when that action will take place, but dang it, it's ready.

There is still no movement in the house and I have one very large bowl of blackberries from the backyard bushes.  Put those two together and it seems like a great time to make jam.  I have a new recipe that uses so much less sugar and want to give it a whirl here.  If it can work with blackberries, it can work with any fruit - in my humble opinion.  Within the hour, I have 5 lovely jars of jam.  And guess what, it tastes wonderful.  Now what?  Still no one hanging with me ---- might as well make some cookies too.  Jared has requested chocolate, chocolate chip but I don't have enough chips.  I know -- let's add some M&M's too.  That'll work.


Apparently I am on my own today --- Jared is hibernating -- so I move on to another project that I have been wanting to finish for awhile.  My ironing side table.  Woooo - I am on a roll today.  To see the tutorial link for this, please click HERE.

17th -   One of the requests Jared has is to see cats.  Big cats.  Our zoo has quite a few but I located a rescue center in Wylie that has a ton so we are off to see what's there.  It's a great place with so many big cats, all of whom come from horrible past experiences.  Kudos to these people.  Once home again --  Jared is off to his room for more hibernation and I head to the studio to perhaps get a little work done on the upcoming mystery.  Sorry, can't show what I'm working on.

18th -   It's another switch out day and we have agreed to meet at the water park just outside of Weatherford.  There are 9 of us for a fun-filled day of laughter and stories.  Yes, I do play at water parks.


 19th - Josh is my new visitor for the week and although he doesn't sleep in quite as late as his brothers, I do manage to get in at least one early morning hour to work on the mystery.  Once Grandpa and Josh are up, its off to the coffee shop and Gecko Hardware, where Josh is treated to a baby chick in his hands.  Yep, that is sheer delight on his face.  Today is his day with Grandpa, so I get more mystery work done.

20th - Oh, while I've been working on the mystery my leader/ender project has been the flying geese for the border on Old Tobacco Road.  I'm getting a nice little stack of them.  Josh and I are off to have a FISH day.  First up, the aquarium and then onto Finding Dory.  See ya later.

21st -  Early morning mystery work and then the DMA and Perot downtown.  Yep, the younger ones like to keep busy.  (Shhh, but so does Gammy.  I have a hard time with having grands here and just letting them sleep.  I want to spend EVERY minute with them.)

22nd -  After a morning at the zoo (no sleeping in today), we rode the train and bus home which meant a short walk too.  Josh's list includes a stop at the dollar store and since it is right at our bus stop, let's get this marked off.  While there, I spot an item the retreaters have been talking about.  Should I or shouldn't I?  Oh, and Mister says to me, "Honey, that is NOT a good picture of you to post."  Gee thanks.

We end the day at Cane Rosso as "Can we go to that pizza place with the big ovens?" made the request list.  Absolutely we can.  Oh, and just so you know -- this was declared the "best pizza ever" by one 8 year-old.


23rd -  It's another cookie day and then we are off to meet Grandpa and go swimming at Great-Grandma's.  While enroute on the train, we discover that Grandma is not feeling well so Grandpa locates a water park for us to go to instead.  Good recovery Grandpa. Josh was off running, and made a friend who he played with for the entire visit. I joined him at the end, and enjoyed the small lazy river.

We finish out the day showing Josh what "real Ramen" is like.  (Ramen soup packages are his favorite food of all).  We are off for Pho at a little Vietnamese restaurant in Irving. Guess what...  HE LOVES IT.  It's also his first time using chopsticks.  Way to go Josh.


24th -  My time with Josh has come to an end and we are switching out again.  I am just a (planned) wee bit early so make a stop in Weatherford (is anyone else noticing how often I'm there these days?) to check out the hardware store there.  My friend, Allison, has highly suggested it and boy is she right.  I need a whole day to discover the wonders of this store but in my half hour, I make a pretty good dent in the checkbook.  Surprises in store.

Doesn't this just look oh so fun and yummy?



We make the switch and I have Jacob for the next few days.  It's late afternoon by the time we get back home and after dinner Grandpa suggests the auction.  I'm always on board for that and for the first time I see a quilt that I REALLY want to bid on.  It's likely only about 30 years old UNLESS those aren't repro fabric BUT it is all handstitched and hand-quilted.

 I simply am thrilled and Mister gives the go ahead to bid.  Oooooh ---- will that person in the back please stop bidding?  Finally it goes home with me.  One would think I have enough quilts of my own right?  Yep, that was Mister's question too.  All I know is that I am totally in love with it and will not be afraid to cuddle up in it.  Yes, I believe quilts are made to be used.

25th -  Jacob is 13 and another sleeper.  Mister has found an estate sale that interests us so we leave a note and creep out of the house to go check it out.  They have a 301 in a blonde cabinet with a stool that I am VERY interested in.  Mister also spots a Featherweight for a decent price.  Downfall is that neither have the bobbin case -- yep, some lowlife beat us to them as the sale started yesterday.  After explaining to the estate people that the missing cases are the reason these machines are still here on day 2.  We tried to explain to them that in the future they need to pull the cases on these machines but are not sure we got through.  At any rate, we brought both home at a discounted rate.  More pictures of the Featherweight as we get her cleaned up.  This is the first of this type case for me and I'm thrilled with it.  Even has the key.


26th -  Enough!  That's right - enough I say.  I have had my frame for over a year now and have been afraid to tackle a panto.  Today is the day.  As I peeked at my row robin on the frame, some of the circles remind me of planets and I know I have a star panto.  Quick as can be, I get it set up and run the test row.  Ooooooh, this is FUN.  Again, I have to question my own insecurities.  Why, why, why do I let things intimidate me so much.  Ugh.

With a sleeping grandson, I am able to put about 4 hours into this before he is up and ready to do something fun.  I am about halfway finished in that time.  This takes a bit longer than free motion, for sure.  I think it's because I am not making use of the entire available space in each run, causing more resets at the end of each row.


Independence Day - The Resurgence is out in the theaters and since both Jacob and I wish to see it, we say a quick good-bye to Grandpa and head out the door.  Dang, selfies just are not good for me.  It's a great movie in a super fun theater and we love every minute of it.  Upon returning home, it is back to the kitchen for Grandpa and Jacob.  They have their "mise en place" set and are ready to go.  Tonight's dish is a Chipotle Shrimp Scampi.  Yep, my mouth is watering already.  OH just look at my yummy dinner.


27th -  We are off to the Perot today and I love going down there as each time I get to visit a new area and discover something I don't know.  Yep, I LOVE learning.  After roaming for awhile, we have a sit down to play and rest my feet.  I remember my mother complaining about her feet hurting after tromping all over with us, but haven't really experienced it until lately.  While playing with blocks, I have to question myself.  Do I have an underlying desire to work with hexies?

By the time we get home, it is again back to the kitchen.  Are you guessing Jacob's favorite thing to do?  Tonight he wishes to make Parmesan Chicken and I am the helper.  Let's get to it.  Again, we have a divine dinner (yes, the fridge is fill with leftovers for Mister and I to devour when the kids are gone.)

Jacob and Grandpa are busy in the evening so I slip out to the studio to try and finish quilting my row robin.  By the time I take it off the frame around 10:30 and bring it into the house.  Everything is dark and I am the only one awake.  Well, alrighty then.  I guess that means I need to go to sleep too.  But first, I am going to trim the sides off and snap a picture.  Whew.  Night all.


28th -  My early morning studio sneak consists of loading the Bargello quilt.  It's next and I am hoping to keep this machine loaded until my stack of completed tops dwindles down a bit.  The rest of the day is spent with Jake.  It is our last day to have fun and I want to make the most of it.  Oh wait, I'm sure you are thinking, "What are they having for dinner?"  Well, we are making Pomegranate-glazed Cornish Hens on Wild Rice.  Yes, you can say it.  Ohhh Emmm Geee.

Lots of fun time on this one and his first reduction sauce.  I gotta admit, my mouth has is doing the happy dance.


29th -   It's one of those boring laundry, clean house days as Jen is on her way to pick up Jacob.  Her family has completed their camp sessions (Bekah has opted out this summer).  Jen has Jon with her and he greets me with a hug and head on my shoulder that warms my heart.  We get to visit for awhile and then she and the boys need to make the long trek home after dropping me at the train so that I can go meet Mister and check on Grandma.  We have a lovely dinner out with just the two of us - first time we have been alone in a month.

30th - I am taking a much needed rest day to work on pictures and blog posts.  One of my 2016 goals is to be completely caught up on all the wonderful stories that are just short of being finished.  I CAN do it.  I do get a few stitches in but since it's a hush, hush secret -- no pictures.  So sorry.  The end of the month has arrived again.  How does that happen so fast?  I want it all to slow down just a bit.  I feel pretty good about the month though.  Even with kids, I did manage to spend some time doing what I passionately love so very much.  I hope you did too. 

Thanks for checking up on me this month.  Check back in now and then and please check out the link to OUR QUILT BLOGS at the top of the page for many of the quilt groups are starting to restrict the posting of blogs into the groups.  If you want to still have a long monthly read and time for your tea, join the group.  Thanks for sticking around this long -- I appreciate all of you who read each month.

9 comments:

  1. You are amazing Deb! I wish I could get a quarter as much done as you do. Love Jen's Tesla quilt.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Somehow I don't feel like I get as much done as I want to though. I have a LONG UFO list.

      Delete
  2. Marvelous month, simply marvelous!! Thank you for sharing your precious grandchildren with us. Hugs, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time I have read your blog and I enjoyed every line. You are lucky to have your grands close to you. Mine are far away and contact is limited to pictures, texts and phone calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so very much. Unfortunately, most of my grands live a long ways away. I do, however, have cooperative children who meet me halfway and let me steal them away. There are lots of flights to Denver for exchanges.

      Delete
  4. Love reading your blog! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. Your grands and all the things you have done with them inspire me. Love that you keep so busy that you can write about it almost every day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. We ALL need to inspire each other. I find that keeping a little journal of what I do helps me to stay motivated. If I don't write it down, I forget that I actually WAS productive.

      Delete