Friday, May 31, 2019

2019 May Quilt Update


Hello and welcome to the fifth Monthly Quilt Update of 2019.  Have you joined us in our theme for this year?  Do you know what it is?  Here is your hint and if you want to know all about it -- here is your LINK.  Always remember that in this group all links open in a separate window so you don't lose your place here AND there are no ads or popups EVER.

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.



In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balance change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa (or two) and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

1st -  Howdy!!!  Happy May Day!!  That makes me think of flowers and planting.  How about you?  I have baby peaches on the tree and since we picked up some herbs the other day, they are going in the ground.  By me - yep, I used to do this all the time but my sweetie took it over.  Today, I'm right outside the window where Mister is working and I'm wondering how long it will be until he comes out to "supervise".  Hahahahaha  First task is to clear the beds from fall/winter debris and leave the plants that made it through another year.

It doesn't take very long at all I soon have all the new ones in the ground.  Yes, he saw me and came to help.  Do you see me smiling as I say that?


Now for dinner.  How about a post roast?  Yes, I've shared this recipe before but here ya go again:  https://ladymister.blogspot.com/2013/08/feeling-like-fall-is-around-corner-time.html.

As I get to this point, Mister comes out to tell me that we have reservations for dinner tonight.  Well, dang.  I guess this is getting made anyway and he will have leftovers to enjoy this week as I hit the road tomorrow morning for 10 days at retreat.


I've got to check in on Mister's Mom today and take the Taurus on my run.  While driving, the hood comes up to say howdy.  Urch.  Goodness.  Back on the road and on the way home I get a text that says, "Did you close the hood on the car?  I had a plastic pot propping it open."  Well, no, no I didn't as I didn't notice that small cup in there.  Silly man.


After a nice visit with Mom, it's out for dinner.  Yes, I'm packed and ready to go tomorrow.  I did that yesterday.  Today is just a day for getting all my ducks in a row and now we get to enjoy Birthday Season a bit.  We are off to RM 12:20 Bistro, a new French spot near us.  The food is divine, the company is impeccable, and what a great evening.  I am coveting the little pot du creme dish.  Big time.  So, so good.  Thank  you, Mister for a wonderful start to the month of May.

2nd - Good Morning.  It truly is as I'm off to Rainbow for 10 glorious days of retreat.  I keep telling myself that anyway.  I've had some internal struggles going on and would love to see that wish play out perfectly.  Time will tell.  If you wish to follow along on the first weekend of the retreat, here is the POST.  Just click and enjoy.


My sewing for today includes the making of 2 new fat quarter bags.  The ones I made before have magically found new homes.  No, no --- I'm pretty sure I just gifted as I went.  However, I need more and will likely gift some of these too.  It's just what happens.

The end of a perfect day with amazing friends.  My heart is full tonight --- and I sincerely mean that.


3rd - Day 2 finds me out walking a bit around the property.  It's morning and I want to enjoy it to the fullest.  I have a call to make and am accompanied by Bob.  Did you read the post and know the story?  How funny.


When I left home, Mister had commented MANY times that he wished he knew someone who could sew and make bags for the many vintage pedals that I have.  He's getting his wish today.

Also, Paula had a mini class on making the chicken pin cushions.  The eyes on mine are a little wacked out --- too much stress in his life being poked over and over again.


I have a mini class tomorrow using the leftovers from my Whimm's projects and thus I need to make my labels really quick while the parts are still available.  Ta-done.


And --- I know to never start a sentence with and, but it's how I speak --- I even found some time to work on a pretty dang old UFO.  Smith Mountain Morning is coming out of the box to play a bit.


Game night ---- I'm a butterfly.  Our theme is Flights of Fancy and we are supposed to share our favorite fantasy.  How about the ability to transform??  Wouldn't we all love to do that?  Join me in my flight.  What a fun night and I gotta hand the award to Val --- Hello, Dolly!!!

HST's for SMM take up the rest of my evening.  Progress is happening.  Slow, but it is happening.  Isn't that what really matters?


4th - Happy Birthday to Me!!!  Sixty-one.  Wow, time is marching on rapidly these days.  Oh, that reminds me -- as my age rises, so does the water.  The river is threatening to flood this week.

I finish up my HST's from last night and it's time to walk and enjoy the meadow a bit more.


Re-centered once again, I have brought along another crazy UFO --- these dang bookmarks have been around since I started hosting retreats.  Yep -- that's awhile now.  Today, they are getting put together.

How high's the water girls?  Twenty feet high and rising.

Oh my.  I will say this much though --- we are all totally engrossed in watching it although I'm not sure just what that says about us.  Crazy curiosity?  I'm sticking with that.  Time with my daughter on my birthday is PERFECT!


In fact, we even get a bit pampered with pedicures.  Yep, available to all while at retreat.


And my friends are just so sweet once again.  A cupcake cake for Lydia and I --- Yum.

I am indeed amazingly blessed to have these women in my life.  I love quilty time with them but we do so much more than that.  These are truly my sisters in most every sense of the word.  Many of us are traveling together this summer and it doesn't have anything to do with quilts.  Life is just so good.

From left to right back:  Val, yours truly, Shirley, Cindy, Brenda, Maria, Gwen, Frieda, Lydia, Stephannie, Jen, Paula.  Front row:  Tracey, Rocky, Betsy, Debi.  Some of the best women in the world.


5th - The first weekend has come to an end and our in between time has started.  Here is your Tweener LINK so that you can see all the fun we have.  Yep, even physical challenges like this one.  The goal here was to start out cross legged and get  yourself up off the floor without using your hands.  Can you do it?


I'm cutting strips for my Christmas Jelly Roll Rugs today.  I just wanted red and white and thankfully, Frieda came through with some great fabrics for me.  Love it when others de-stash.  Woohoo.


6th - I have finally drug myself out of bed earlier enough to watch the sunrise.  It helps that I went to bed early last night, but still.


Glorious!  Crazy, scary high water, but beautiful at the same time.


A trip to the meadow for our Tweener picture --- Linda, Frieda, Paula, Debi, Val, Ramona, and Gwen.  I'm taking the picture so I'm a tweener too. My Houston girls just have too far to go home for 3 days.  The Arkansas girls arrived today as it's a long haul for them for just three days.  It all works out and we love this down time hanging out with one another.


The bindings are on my bookmarks.  It now moves to the handwork bag and will get finished as I race around this summer.  Look for these to make another appearance around August perhaps.


Onto the jelly roll rugs.  Two ropes made and ready for the final part.  WOW --- that was a lot of length.  Fifty yards in each.  Let's put that in perspective.  These two together would go the length of a football field.  See my scissors --- even they are red/white for the occasion.  Hahahahaha.

7th - Bonjour!!  It's a beautiful day out and this is the view out my window first thing.  I love that when I'm in a room alone, I have just leave the windows open and enjoy this beauty when I wake.


I am finishing the rugs today.  I am.  I am.  However, first I need to build a place to do that.  It only takes 27 books from the library and I've made a platform to keep the rug level.  Time to sew.


And a couple of hours later ---- TA-DA.  Slight kidney shapes to them, but I'll live with it.


And the remainder of the days go to deboning clothes from my purge.  I've got some good stuff to add to the collection.  I REALLY want to finish these UFO's so that I can start new stuff with the shirts/dresses I've accumulated and prepared.  It'll happen some day.

8th - The last day of tweener time has arrived and we are all working on pot holders from the jeans we have been deboning as well.  I have enough insulbrite to make four.  Perfect to learn with.


9th - Flowers, flowers everywhere.  My daughter, Cassie has sent for my birthday and Mother's Day.  Aren't the tulips incredible?  I don't think anyone has ever sent me tulips before.


The second weekend of retreat is off and running.  We are Off To The Races this weekend and here is your click spot to read and see all the amazing quilts these ladies made:  Race LINK.

I've completed my potholders.


Now it's time to for our mini class --- we are doing a mug rug run!  Using the watercolor method and supplies --- create your own mug rug.  Here's what I came up with:


I also found enough time to make a device holder from a kit gifted by Frieda a couple of retreats ago.  PURPLE!!


It's a great day and the gang is having a crazy good time.


10th - Today is the Jelly Roll Race!  Our main event this weekend.  I'm crazy impressed by how many are playing.  Not everyone is racing, but almost everyone is making one.  Very cool.  I'm racing --- everything is laid out and ready to go.


I manage to squeak out the win over Maria but it's so close that the only reason I make is because her bobbin runs out right at the end.


Label and binding are made --- this one is ready to finish.


I have time for some more work on Smith Mountain Morning.  I should be working on my purse or pants, which I brought, but I'm just not feeling it.  Hour glasses are done.


Friends!!!!!  The entire reason I do this.  I can't believe our days are moving so quick.  It's game night and my awesome costume did not arrive.  So very sad, but Darlene came through and dropped this one off for me.  What a gem she is.  We are now officially crazy just in case no one noticed before.

Late night working on some SMM blocks.  I love how my Sew-Ezi table helps to twirl the units around and around on the floor.  So fun.


A few more steps in the right direction.


11th - Our last full day.  Sigh.  On the bright side though --- check out my tulips.


Gather round y'all ---- group picture time.  As I've said before in this post --- these ladies are the cream of the crop.  My gratitude that they are a part of my live overflows.  Back row:  Gwen, Meri, Ramona, Rocky, Stephanie, Lana, Val, Frieda, Debi  Front row:  Maria, me, Samantha, Janet, Linda, Gilley, Sherri, Lydia.


The river is over the platform.  Highest I've ever seen it.  I know those who live here have seen this before, but not us.

Linda taught us how to make these cute bags today --- of course, I had to make 5.  How on earth did I have that much fabric along with me?  Scary huh?

We've spent a good portion of the day padding back and forth to the river, watching it.  Again --- scary and fascinating all at the same time.


Last night ---- so much fun and hate for it to end but at the same time, I'm ready to see my sweet Mister again.


12th - I'm trying to catch the sunrise one last time.  The river is DOWN!  Wow.  It's got a long ways to go still, but it's gong the right direction now.


A couple of hours later -- the room is empty --- we are ready to roll.  Happy Mother's Day to all and Brazos Out!!

As I'm driving, the sunlight on my flowers is just so pretty that I snap a few pictures and try to recreate the beauty.  It almost makes me want to try and pink and yellow quilt.  With a touch of green.  Almost.


Home again and my sweet man knows just what to do.  Yes.


13th -  It's a switch out day here.  Unpacking, washing, packing.  We are off to Montana tomorrow and lots to do.  My tulips are about done -- so sad, but I'm so glad I got to enjoy them the total time.  By tomorrow afternoon, they will be waning.


I opened all my fat quarters from the Bad A$$ group and love each and every one of them.  Now for a batik project.  Oh those dang UFO's.  Stay focused Deb.


Roses from another daughter arrived today too.  I'm glad this one is not temporary since I'll be gone for a week.  I'll get to enjoy them all summer.

14th - Out the front window this morning there is a vulture enjoying a meal.  Right smack dab in Dallas and the cars don't even seem to bother him one bit.


We have an evening flight to Montana and are on our way.  Car to drop off, shuttles to take, security -- what a lot to do before one can even get to the gate.  We have a long layover in Salt Lake, but all is good.  Please follow along on this wonderful trip in this LINK.  I'm really not sharing much in this update post.

15th - Blue skies and cherry blossoms.  Yes --- this is how I grew up.  I still love it all so very much and didn't realize how much my heart misses it.



Add in family and what could possibly be better?


16th - More time with family and some out and about visits.  In Kalispell, I even get to stop at the Quilt Gallery and look around a bit.  Here is the LINK to a spotlight on the shop.  Of course, there are treasures to take home.  Neutrals are always needed.


An evening walk out to the point gives Mister and I some time to just breathe.

Nature provides a great chance to take a step back and simply enjoy.

17th - We are off on our own today -- heading north -- aiming towards Whitefish.  Upon our arrival there -- Whitefish Quilts and Gifts is on my radar.  Here is the  LINK to their spotlight post --- love this little shop.


More treasures -- neutrals and a couple of "huckleberry" batiks.


Great Northern Brewing for lunch and a stop at Whitefish Lake's City Beach.  I truly cannot remember the last time I was up here.  Had to have been in high school.

One more quilt shop comes into view on our way back into Kalispell and Mister simply turns the car in without hesitation.  I love that he does this and knows how much I enjoy it.  Of course, here's you LINK to Glacier Quilts.



Neutral treasures -- some really fun ones.  Time to get back to Mom.


18th - Ah -- the lake I grew up on ---- view from the bridge I've even jumped off of.  Hahahaha.  Crazy high school and no proof to come back and haunt us.


A little bit of time with my Sis and her sweetie, Joe.


19th - Today, it's breakfast in Somers with the family and I've spotted a pretty cool fence/divider.  I could do this.

To think of all the bottles we have sent to recycling in the last 10 years. Oh my.

Mister wants to get as high as he can before we leave.  Hmmmm -- exactly what did you think that meant?  He meant altitude.  We are driving up Crane Mountain for a great overlook.  Success.   The Swan Valley lays below.


20th - Our last day today.  Drat.  A little bit of lake still.


And some family pis to tide me over until October, when we return.  Love ya Mom and Sis.  Can't wait to see you again.


 Up, up and away.


21st -   We arrived back from Montana about midnight last night.  Mister has worked all day.  BUT -- a few months ago I scheduled a sunset said on the Spirit of Dallas.  This Sailing LINK will take you to the post with some gorgeous pictures -- all right smack dab in the middle of Big D.


22nd -  A totally necessary, but mundane day.  Laundry, blogging, banking.  Two highlights -- met with Meri to pick up my aprons for the upcoming Red Hat event and my sweetie and I went out to Intrinsic for the evening.  Chichirones man!!

23rd - I have things to do that I'm running out of time for this month.  The studio MUST be cleaned out and rearranged before the end of the month.  MUST.  Today, it begins.  These are all the before pictures.  This ALL has to be moved.  Seriously.  I'm not sure where to begin, but begin I must.


While I'm moving things around, I have a blonde 301 cabinet that makes some noise and in a hidden drawer, I discover all of this.  Bobbin score!!!  The room is changing and by the time Mister demands that I stop --- he's been at work all day --- this is all me -- I've gotten quite a bit done.  I'm happy with the progress but there is still so much more to do.  Tomorrow is another day.



24th -  Determination is key.  I am back in the studio today and after several more hours, I think I've got it.  I believe it is ready for the big change that is coming.  All the vintage machines are moved (you couldn't see a lot of them in the above picture because a piece of foam board was covering most of the shelves) --- some are leaving.  More are in closets.  Oh my.  I just need to put that on the plate for next month.  This one is just too full for the next week.


Quilts to be hung still, but overall -- it's working.



Time for a beer at Lakewood Growler.

25th -  We are off to Abilene for my grandson's graduation today.  Yep, there's a LINK for you to see the great pictures we got.  It was a fun day, filled with love and driving.  That was a joke, but true.  I even got to see my granddaughter, and it's been a bit for that.



26th -  An US day.  I need to give some attention to just that.  Me and my sweetie.  No other pressures.  We are off to Tyler today and if you click this LINK, you will be amazed at the beauty we see.  Especially, the Rose Festival dresses.  Wow.  Well, dang -- the roses are pretty glorious too.

Time with good friends was thrown in too.  Perfect day.


27th -  I need to go and see Mister's Mom -- haven't been since before Montana, but this time I remembered to take a couple of pictures.  She is in rehab and learning to cope with a wheelchair.

She called asking for pasta so Mister made her some and brought it along.  The smile on her face was heavenly and she are it ALL.

On the way home, we stopped at a new to us Thai restaurant and I ordered pineapple rice.  Well, hot dang -- that's what I got.


28th -  A nothing day, with nothing to write.  I'm leaving tomorrow so packed everything together and then just chilled.  It is what it is.  I did manage to go shopping for some required supplies for the Red Hat event next month.

29th -  Sherri and I are off to Houston today on my long arm acquisition trip.   Our day starts with giggles and continues throughout the drive.  We decide to make a stop in Old Town Spring to check out a couple of quilt shops.  The GRS LINK will take you to the first one.  Please check it out --- it's a delightful shop that I will revisit --- maybe in August.

The second shop is just around the corner and I have a small post about it too.  This Cupcake LINK will get ya there.  I'm not posting about it on Facebook though as that post is mostly for my own information.

From there, it's off to Val's for good friends, good food and a chance to try out my new machine.  What a perfectly great evening spent in the company of friends and out on Val's patio.  The best!



30th -  To watch the learning process on this new long arm, here is  Val's LINK.  All that we do and share.  Today I am loading a quilt, qulting it, and then taking this baby apart for the drive home.  Well I'm not doing all of that alone.  Lots and lots of help.


Done and done.  We are on the road back to Dallas.  What a crazy 24 hours, but so so wonderful.  I cannot thank Sherri enough for making this journey with me and Val --- what can I say?  I love you just doesn't seem to be enough.

We get back to Dallas, unload and I send Sherri on her way back to Athens --- so grateful for our friendship.  Truly.

Mister and I are off to visit his mom and she requests a trip around the courtyard.  Hallelujah.  How wonderful that is is ready to do things again.


There is a fountain and pond with a beautiful plant that we all stop to admire.



Now -- home to rest.

31st - Its the last day of the month.  Whoosh again.  I have a Red Hat event I am in charge of tomorrow and am not ready for it.  That means today is the day.  A wire ring and some flowers soon becomes the base for a basket.

The basket will hold the gloves that are being gifted to all the ladies.


Little terra cotta plants with Dove chocolate for each person and balloons, along with the aprons I had embroidered and I think I'm ready.  My clothes are picked out, the lists are together, and I'm ready for tomorrow.

It's been a wild month and I haven't sewn near as much as I wanted to, but the experience and memory chart went sky high.  In the big scheme of things -- that's probably more important than these self-imposed deadlines we place on ourselves.  I'm ready for June -- it will have its own set of adventures.  I'm sure.  Until then -- keep on creating.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Jelly Roll Race - Quilted -- just need to do hand work on binding
Jelly Roll Christmas Rugs -  Done
Purse -
Xing -
Sandcastles -
Daybreak -
Straits of Macinac -
Pfefferneusse -
Ruby Slippers (i.e. Emerald City) -
Idaho Square Dance -
Dawn's Early Light -

UFO Items: (No, this is not the entire list)

Amish Bookmarks - Worked on, ready for hand stitching
2 BOM - Whimm's - quilted as QAYG - labels made
Ohio Star - set and backing/binding made
1 Row by Row block -
*Jamestown Landing -
*Scrap Crystals -
*Smith Mountain Morning -  Worked on
*Midnight Flight -

UFO Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set -
Red/White embroidery between blocks on WW finished -
Hand Quilting --


Links to Previous 2019 Monthly Posts:

January 2019 Quilt Update
February 2019 Quilt Update
March 2019 Quilt Update
April 2019 Quilt Update

No comments:

Post a Comment