Thursday, May 30, 2019

To Houston For a New-to-Me Longarm

Sherri and I are outta here!!!  We are on our way to Val's house to pick up my long-arm and spend some fun time with our friend.  We truly are not even capable of getting out of the driveway without issues and are laughing so hard with sunlight in our face that this pic is truly indicative of the morning.  Also -- my phone is screwed up and Sherri is driving.  I know it doesn't look that way, but . . . .



And we're off.  A stop at Buc-ees is a must and then onto our first destination.  I've never been to Old Spring and there are a couple of quilt shops I'd like to check out.  The biggest trick in going here, is finding the exit.  Cos -- we missed it, by 8 miles.  Yep.  Turn around.

First up is GRS Quilts and you can peek in on all we saw at this LINK.  It's a great shop and I would really like to spend a LOT more time there.


A couple of blocks away is another quilt shop but on the way we pass Hudsons White Hall.  I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye (the internet says something about ghosts), so . . . .  I really need to come a play for a whole day in this wonderful area. 


Just around the corner is Cupcake, the second quilt shop we get to visit while here.

It's also huge and loaded with treasures.  I'm not going to link to the pictures I took here as they're not big fans of having pictures taken, but I did do a blog post just for my own memory.  You're more than welcome to search it out. 

I DID, however find a bag there that I want to make.


No patterns were available, but I did find this inside the bag and it has been ordered.


Lunch!!!!  With that many exclamations, it should be good right?  It was, but also HUGE.  I couldn't come close to finishing my salad.


Now --- back on the road and off to Vals, which turns out is pretty close to Spring even though she has a Houston address.  Lots and lots of hugs and visiting before going in the house for the tour and to try out my new machine.  My camera was hiding for most of our wonderful time, but Sherri did get a few pictures for me.  We are loading the frame with some muslin to practice on.  It loads a bit different than my mid-arm did, but I think the changes are small.


A bit of play time and I think I'm ready for the main event. 


I had a great time and love the control with this machine.  I can see some fun times ahead.  Now, before you look at this, please remember than I ONLY have done simple meanders free motion.  Not much else AND I'm pretty unfamiliar with the cadence of this machine AND I'm playing.



And with that --- we are done for today.  It's time to relax and just enjoy each other's company in Randy and Val's amazing backyard.

A wonderful BBQ dinner and great conversation with incredible friends.  Life is just so dang good.

Day two dawns and I am ready to load my Jelly Roll Race quilt onto the machine and see how quick I can get 'er done.  We had a few thread issues yesterday and between Sherri and I brainstorming last night, I think we can work through those this morning.  Once again, thank you for the pics Sherri.


Does anyone remember why I'm on the floor here?  Changing the bobbin?


Time to work -


Quick as a wink --- I'm at the bottom.  Wow.  I had a few little spots of challenge but the rhythm finally settled in.


And off she comes


TA-DA --- I can see where I need to pay attention to spacing and a size consistency but filling 3 times as much space is daunting, compared to what I am used to.  My muscles have been taught to turn much sooner.  They need to be retaught.


And now ----- it's time to take this baby apart.


Thank you, thank you, thank you Randy for all the help you gave us.  We would have struggled so much more without that.


It's apart, loaded, and we are ready for a quick lunch before our return trip to Dallas.  It's been a fast a furious 24 hours and next time, we are going to just come and play, right Sherri?


I cannot express my thanks enough to Val for this sweet machine.  You are an amazing woman and I am truly blessed to have you in my life.  Always remember that and know that I am humbled by your love.

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! Been stalking your blog looking for this post! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm pretty excited too ---- hoping to get it put together this weekend, but time has had a way of disappearing lately.

      Delete
  2. I have a Crown Jewel that I love. Wishing you many happy hours quilting on your new machine. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete