Sunday, May 5, 2019

Brazos House - Flights of Fancy Retreat

May is HERE!!!  Not only is it the Birthday Season for me, but it's also the last retreats until fall and signify that summer is right around the corner.  The car is packed, I'm dressed and ready to go, BUT . . . Mister has to clean windows and mirrors before I can depart the garage.  Yes, it's bright and early in the a.m. --- but I'm spoiled and love it each day of my life.  He has made a comment about being gone on my birthday again this year, so perhaps that needs to be looked at.  I'm pretty sure I'll get the calendar to book retreats for 2020 this weekend.  Hmmmmm.

An uneventful drive brings me to Brazos House and calm has set in.  Well, until I see the river.  Oh goodness.  I have seen it higher, but not for a few years.





Seven steps showing and it appears to be rising and MUDDY!!


Arrivals take place and our first item on the agenda is lunch.  Off to Babe's several of us go.  My tummy is grumbling and I do love this place.  Just outside the door, we are greeted by this little guy.  Pose pretty now.  Good food, good friends.  Moments like these are memories I hold dear.  Welcome to the gang, Cindy.

As we are paying at the counter, Betsy and I spot this table.  Why have I never noticed this before?  What on earth is it.  Several up close looks and pictures from all angles and we can see that it used to be a wringer washer.  Oh how fun.




After I've left and am waiting for others, another little guy catches my eye.  At some point, if not already, I bet you are wondering why this is a quilt blog entry.  Well, just give me time, Y'all.  It's coming.


Just not yet ---- we are back at the center and I quickly dart down to the river to see if anything has changed.  Well - - - - YES!  The lower post is now gone and six steps are showing.  Back to the house I go.

It's time to enjoy and get various activities underway.  The room is happy and doing what they do best:  visiting, learning, sharing, laughing, etc.  It makes my heart so happy to see these ladies interact.  I have a list of projects to finish over the next 10 days and many of them are small, but the supplies have been hanging around and need to be completed.  First up today is the making of three new fat quarter bags.  That means fat quarters have to be ironed, cut to size, and stitched together.


Around the room, projects are also coming together.  Stephannie has a skirt finish - TA-DA.  I know that fabric!!


Rocky with a TA-DA!


My bags are done --- woohoo.


Now, I don't always show many room pictures here, as what happens at retreat often stays there, but . . .


And just like that --- the first day is gone.  Yes, lots of fun stuff went on, but my camera wasn't always paying attention.  Last ladies standing - quite a few of us tonight.


Friday - Good morning!!  We are off to the river (with coffee) for our check.  Not much change at this point.


Back at the house, Cindy has a TA-DA


Followed by Val - TA-DA


I have a daughter trying to reach me and that means a walk down the road so that I can call her.  Bob is the designated guardian today (don't ask me how they decide, but we cannot leave the property without one of these dogs watching over us).  As I sit on the side of the road, enjoying the gorgeous wildflowers and talking on the phone, Bob sits beside me and appears to enjoy the scenery as well.  A short time later, a car starts down the road towards us and he gets up from beside me, lays behind me on the road, between me and the car, waits for it to pass and returns to my side.  WTW????  Wow.  I am super impressed right now.  AND -- he and I are not even friends.  No petting or anything as I'm really not a BIG dog lover.


Inside once again, Shirley brings me a block TA-DA.  These are just so dang tiny.  The small squares finish at 1/2 inch, I think.  WOW.


Maria with a TA-DA


Stephannie is making clothes this weekend.  Dress TA-DA  Tracey is doing jewelry and has a TA-DA too.


When I was packing for this retreat, my sweetie said (not for the first time), "Oh, if we only knew someone who could sew and make little bags for the machine foot pedals."  Alright, alright.  Today I am rectifying that.


There is more than one kind of retreat enjoyment.


Swap table stacked pretty high with treasures.


Betsy with 2 blouse TA-DA's.  Yep sooooo much variety this weekend.


My bags are done -- woot woot.


Our mini-class this weekend is making chicken pin cushions and Paula is teaching.  All hands are on deck to learn how as she has charms for them.  I bet almost everyone makes one.


Mine ---- the buttons give him strange eyes and the search for them (started by Jen's desire for hers to have a necklace) took the room in  crazy direction with these.


Jen, with her first pieced back TA-DA


I'm teaching watercolor mug rugs next weekend and need a few of the squares for my two Whimm's quilt labels.  TA-DA


Now for some work on Smith Mountain Morning.


It's game night.  OH MY!!!!   Va, va, voom --- Hello Dolly.


Fantasies come in all shapes, colors, and sizes.




Duos around the room --- Frieda and Brenda


Gwen and Lydia


Maria and Tracey


Shirley and Val (a.k.a. Dolly)


Stephannie and Betsy


Cindy and Jen


Debi and Rocky


Paula and I -- that's all of us.


With no advancements this week, we are straight into LCR and winner of the fat quarters is:


The next two rounds give Frivol kits to Gwen


and Paula


A fun time was had by all and here's a chance to see costumes that I didn't get solo pictures of.


Our unicorns -


Okay, time to get back to work.  I'm finishing up my HST's and heading to bed.  No LLS for me tonight.

It still takes place and these ladies outdid themselves.  Crazy women.  I was long asleep and never heard a thing even though this picture was taken right outside my room.  See ya tomorrow.

Saturday - Happy Birthday to me!!!!  Coffee at the river and still no change from yesterday.  Perhaps this is all we will get this year.  Still muddy though.



A round about walk back to show you how beautiful our location truly is.


It's test time.  Can we start out sitting with crossed legs and get up without using our hands in any way?  Yes, many play.  AND, many do it.


Maria starts the day off with a TA-DA


And I'm off for a walk.  I just HAVE to enjoy the beauty of this area.  It's magnificent right now.



Time in the labyrinth resets me


So, for today, I am working on OLD Amish Bookmarks.  What a UFO.  BUT, with storms all around us, I want to keep an eye on the river.  Down I go again and, yep, she's rising.  I have two guards watching me this go round.  It's up to four steps and equals the highest I've ever seen the Brazos here.


She's moving quick too -


Ah, love, love, love having time with my daughter.


An hour later - covering the fourth step.


Debi set up pedicures in Glen Rose for today ---- yep, gotta get the toes pretty.  (I know -- many of you know that my sweetie just did them, but this is a treat and rarely happens.  He'll be fine with it.)

Six of us go and play --- Not telling who is who.  Debi, Paula, Lydia, Tracey, Jen and I.

Upon our return ---- another river watch.  WOW.  Only two steps showing.  Just for reference, each step has a rise of about 10".


Oooooh, Lydia and i are greeted with a birthday cake before dinner.  HOW COOL.



And while we are at it ---- Group Picture.  Back row:  Val, me , Shirley, Cindy, Brenda, Maria, Gwen, Frieda, Lydia, Stephannie, Jen, Paula   Front row:  Tracey, Rocky, Betsy, Debi


After dinner, it's time to move forward --- Debi with a dress TA-DA


And another


Cindy's TA-DA


All of our Chickens!!!!!  TA-DA


And let's call it a night.  Goodness. It was a great BIRTHDAY!!!!!


Sunday - Once again --- morning takes me to the river.  It's beyond high.  Higher than I've ever seen it and I'm kinda shocked.


You think I'm exaggerating????  Here's Rocky standing in the river.


And:  the gang.  Love Gwen in this pic.  WE have NO steps left.  Hahahahaha


Stephannie with her Christmas Lights TA-DA


Jen working on her second back that has been pieced --- you must look close.  It's just the center panel.  The front is showing.


Some goat time:



And that's it.  Round one of the May retreats is come and gone.  It's been wonderful --- looking forward to the down days and then round two.  Ahhhh, my friends.  This time together is just so special to me.  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment